ImageImageImage

Varejao - what are we willing to give up?

Moderators: Klomp, Basti, C.lupus

User avatar
Mattya
Head Coach
Posts: 7,464
And1: 1,100
Joined: Aug 08, 2008
   

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#16 » by Mattya » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:13 pm

I'd be open to Iggy, but it would be tough to space the floor with Ricky, Iggy, and AK47 playing 1/2/3. Very little minutes for Budinger would mean, we really only have two floor spacers in the rotation. Our defense would beast people with that lineup though.
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 37,671
And1: 2,763
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#17 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Even if the only way for Cleveland to do this is with Nik, I'd say yes.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
Posts: 27,100
And1: 2,403
Joined: Oct 09, 2005

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#18 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 pm

klomp is like the ultimate troll mod
Image
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 18,493
And1: 796
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#19 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 pm

[RCG] wrote:Obviously I would love Williams/Ridnour/1st for Varejao. But I wouldn't be opposed to a grand 3-team move to clear out Pek, Williams, Ridnour, Barea, Roy for Varejao and Calderon. We'd open up cap-space to pursue Iguodala.

Rubio/Shved/Vet.Min.
Iguodala/Shved/Lee
Kirilenko/Iguodala/Budinger
Love/Kirilenko/Cunningham
Varejao/Love/Stiemsma

It's a pipe dream but it sure would be fun to watch.


Interesting. Mayo may be much more affordable and a better fit though.
Image
Sig by C.lupus
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 37,671
And1: 2,763
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#20 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:klomp is like the ultimate troll mod

:lol: Gee, where have I heard that before?!
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Fire Mchale
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 8
Joined: Aug 03, 2010

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#21 » by Fire Mchale » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 pm

I would be good as long as Pek, Love, Ricky, Shved or Cunningham aren't in the deal. The problem becomes whether or not Pek's desires to leave the team via FA increase with competition for minutes from Bob. And will Varejao be ok coming off the bench?

If we ultimately lose Pek through FA because we acquired Varejoa, I think I pass altogether.
Fischella
Head Coach
Posts: 6,201
And1: 639
Joined: Feb 11, 2012
         

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#22 » by Fischella » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 pm

I'd do something like...

to Charlotte, Derrick Williams, Ridnour
to Cleveland, Harrington, Pekovic
to Orlando, Sessions, Henderson, Casspi
to Minnesota, Afflalo, Varejao
User avatar
moss_is_1
Head Coach
Posts: 7,465
And1: 420
Joined: May 20, 2009

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#23 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Id be game for that....I wouldn't mind giving up Pek...but not Pek and D-will.

Im a little worried about Pek getting a big deal...while Av is on a great contract right now with how he's playing....even though AV is what,30? That makes me a bit hesitant.
User avatar
[RCG]
Head Coach
Posts: 7,047
And1: 135
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#24 » by [RCG] » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Or something like this:

MN: Noah. Bellinelli - best player, great fit next to Love
CLE: Pekovic, Ridnour (1st?) - Pekovic is expiring, gives them increased flexibility and solid back-up PG
CHI: Varejao, Williams - Nab Noah-like player in Varejao and a solid prospect in Williams.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 18,493
And1: 796
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#25 » by Krapinsky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:05 am

Fischella wrote:I'd do something like...

to Charlotte, Derrick Williams, Ridnour
to Cleveland, Harrington, Pekovic
to Orlando, Sessions, Henderson, Casspi
to Minnesota, Afflalo, Varejao


Don't see Orlando doing that. Probably not Cleveland either.
Image
Sig by C.lupus
the_bruce
Analyst
Posts: 3,363
And1: 17
Joined: Jun 01, 2007

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#26 » by the_bruce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 am

Usually these sorts of deals are primarily draft pick based IMO. Unfortunately, we've squandered our extras. I'd say try and flip JJ or Luke into an expiring, send steamer, and send the mem pick and future mn 1st top 3 protect.
the_bruce
Analyst
Posts: 3,363
And1: 17
Joined: Jun 01, 2007

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#27 » by the_bruce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c3y24lo

Mem pick mn pick to cle

Hou eats ridnour year and swaps out dwill for royce

Mn gambles the white will play for them and doesn't impact cap space next season. White is cheap and high risk reward. Hou gets high draft pick forward with loads of potential that will actually goto practice?
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 18,493
And1: 796
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#28 » by Krapinsky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 am

Rather not have White than have him. Negative asset IMO.
Image
Sig by C.lupus
User avatar
AQuintus
General Manager
Posts: 9,490
And1: 2,092
Joined: Jan 10, 2008
Location: But let me speak for the weak, I mean the rookies
   

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#29 » by AQuintus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:40 am

the_bruce wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c3y24lo

Mem pick mn pick to cle

Hou eats ridnour year and swaps out dwill for royce

Mn gambles the white will play for them and doesn't impact cap space next season. White is cheap and high risk reward. Hou gets high draft pick forward with loads of potential that will actually goto practice?


Decent for Minnesota, though White is a net negative at this point.

Terrible for Cleveland and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too good for Houston. Turning a headcase that's not even playing for them into DWill and a quality backup PG is ridiculous.
Image
User avatar
FinnTheHuman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,504
And1: 468
Joined: Nov 22, 2012
   

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#30 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:54 am

I like Pek. Just don't trade him.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,541
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#31 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:19 am

Eight hours after their posts, and Pek's 31 point game, do people still want to deal Pek for Varejao?

People are going to differ on Varejao's value based on whether they evaluate players for their per game averages, or for their season totals. I'm the latter, because we pay for the whole season, and that's why I'm not as high on Varejao as most. He played 31 and 25 games his previous two seasons. I worry about whether all these injuries are bad luck, or the result of the way he plays the game.

I'd give Williams and Roy/Ridnour/Barea. I may throw in the pick if it's a deal-breaker. But I wouldn't go higher than that.
User avatar
karch34
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,052
And1: 146
Joined: Jul 05, 2001
Location: Valley of the Sun
     

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#32 » by karch34 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 am

I'd love Varejo as it would give us a killer front court. As far as minutes I think Saltine had a good breakdown. Cunningham has played great, but I think he loses some effectiveness when he gets heavy minutes. Also with the health and style of play with Love and Pek a quality big would be a great add. I wouldn't take him over Pek and would probably be where Shrink is on what I'd give.
jfg
Junior
Posts: 345
And1: 31
Joined: Jul 11, 2012

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#33 » by jfg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 am

shrink wrote:Eight hours after their posts, and Pek's 31 point game, do people still want to deal Pek for Varejao?


Most people who have had decent ideas don't want to ship Pek but would if they get somebody who equals Pek's value but in different ways plus SG help in return. I have to say that I have backed off on considering Pek as a trade candidate because we're going to need him if Love bolts. Who knows if that will happen, but the only reason I'm down on Pek is because he doesn't compliment Love's weaknesses.
User avatar
[RCG]
Head Coach
Posts: 7,047
And1: 135
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#34 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:06 am

jfg wrote:
shrink wrote:Eight hours after their posts, and Pek's 31 point game, do people still want to deal Pek for Varejao?


Most people who have had decent ideas don't want to ship Pek but would if they get somebody who equals Pek's value but in different ways plus SG help in return. I have to say that I have backed off on considering Pek as a trade candidate because we're going to need him if Love bolts. Who knows if that will happen, but the only reason I'm down on Pek is because he doesn't compliment Love's weaknesses.


The only problem with that logic is we'll need to re-sign Pek because Love won't have to opportunity to "bolt" for another season or two.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
the_bruce
Analyst
Posts: 3,363
And1: 17
Joined: Jun 01, 2007

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#35 » by the_bruce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 am

AQuintus wrote:
the_bruce wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c3y24lo

Mem pick mn pick to cle

Hou eats ridnour year and swaps out dwill for royce

Mn gambles the white will play for them and doesn't impact cap space next season. White is cheap and high risk reward. Hou gets high draft pick forward with loads of potential that will actually goto practice?


Decent for Minnesota, though White is a net negative at this point.

Terrible for Cleveland and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too good for Houston. Turning a headcase that's not even playing for them into DWill and a quality backup PG is ridiculous.


Disagree for cle two future 1st is big imo

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves


Users browsing this forum: Acererak, Amish Mafioso