ImageImageImage

Free Agency - Swingmen Edition

Moderators: C.lupus, Klomp, Worm Guts

User avatar
moss_is_1
General Manager
Posts: 7,897
And1: 464
Joined: May 20, 2009
Contact:
   

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#151 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 1:36 am

Go figure.

Childress / Gelabale would be decent. I'd rather have Jelly since we know Childress kinda blows.
User avatar
southern wolf
General Manager
Posts: 7,754
And1: 1,040
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: Gettin' Wiggy with it
     

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#152 » by southern wolf » Fri Jan 4, 2013 1:55 am

Klomp wrote:
“@DarrenWolfson: I'm told tonight that the #Twolves have no interest in Daequan Cook.”


We're dead last in 3pt stats and we have no interest in a guy like Cook?! SMH.
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 38,972
And1: 3,168
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#153 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:01 am

• The Wolves have had multiple talks with free agent Josh Childress' camp. But nothing is imminent. Childress is waiting for a full guarantee, while the Wolves' preferred route might be to sign someone to a 10-day contract. Those can be given out starting on Monday.

• With all contracts becoming guaranteed on Thursday, look for the Wolves to release forward Lazar Hayward. It's possible they bring him back on a 10-day deal.

• Late word on Thursday night: the Wolves aren't interested in free agent shooting guard Daequan Cook.

• Wing Mickaël Gelabale, whom the Wolves have an interest in, has an NBA out in his European contract for all of January. Gelabale is not willing to come overseas for just a 10-day deal. He needs at least a 20-day guarantee. Gelable, 29, known for his defense and ability to shoot a high percentage, last played in the NBA in 2008 with Seattle.


http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_ ... ades010313
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
C.lupus
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 26,564
And1: 5,576
Joined: Nov 02, 2007
Location: Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
   

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#154 » by C.lupus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:12 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this but I guess this thread is as good as any...

I did some number crunching this morning and found this:

When the Wolves backcourt scores 30 or more points, they are 13-8 (.619)
When they score less than 30, they are 2-9 (.250)
When they score 40 or more points, they are 7-2 (.778)

This is total points from the backcourt - not just the starters. I included Ridnour, Barea, Shved, Rubio, and Roy as the backcourt players. Budinger is primarily a 3 and is injured anyway (same with Howard).

It seems to me that 30 total points between 3-4 players is a fairly low bar to hit and 40 points doesn't seem unreasonable to expect on a semi-regular basis. And scoring less than 30 points between all those players should be a rare occurrence. If Kahn can add just one legit SG that can provide a consistent 5-10 points per game, this team is hard to beat, even with Love and Rubio not 100%.
Image
User avatar
LordBaldric
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,696
And1: 466
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Too Hot Too Humid
     

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#155 » by LordBaldric » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:59 pm

C.lupus wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this but I guess this thread is as good as any...

I did some number crunching this morning and found this:

When the Wolves backcourt scores 30 or more points, they are 13-8 (.619)
When they score less than 30, they are 2-9 (.250)
When they score 40 or more points, they are 7-2 (.778)

This is total points from the backcourt - not just the starters. I included Ridnour, Barea, Shved, Rubio, and Roy as the backcourt players. Budinger is primarily a 3 and is injured anyway (same with Howard).

It seems to me that 30 total points between 3-4 players is a fairly low bar to hit and 40 points doesn't seem unreasonable to expect on a semi-regular basis. And scoring less than 30 points between all those players should be a rare occurrence. If Kahn can add just one legit SG that can provide a consistent 5-10 points per game, this team is hard to beat, even with Love and Rubio not 100%.


By your chart, when they score between 30 and 40 they are 6-6 (.500). So they really need to push it closer to 40 to actually get a big edge. That won't be easy to do when Rubio comes back to play heavy minutes, and takes minutes away from more talented scorers unless/until the guy learns to shoot and/or finish at the rim.
You don't know the power of the Dark Side!
User avatar
LordBaldric
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,696
And1: 466
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Too Hot Too Humid
     

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#156 » by LordBaldric » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:23 pm

Rumor on the Bulls board is that they have signed Cook, and Rip is about to be moved.
You don't know the power of the Dark Side!
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,548
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#157 » by shrink » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:06 am

LordBaldric wrote:Rumor on the Bulls board is that they have signed Cook, and Rip is about to be moved.

Thanks for bringing that over!
User avatar
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,520
And1: 1,703
Joined: Jun 27, 2009
Location: Minneapolis
   

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#158 » by The J Rocka » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:24 am

I'd love me some Rip Hamilton right now. We'll probably wait until off-season to go after Redick IMO.
User avatar
theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 14,367
And1: 1,222
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#159 » by theGreatRC » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:16 am

shrink wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:Rumor on the Bulls board is that they have signed Cook, and Rip is about to be moved.

Thanks for bringing that over!


What you thinking Shrinky?

The ole Roy for Rip?
Timberwolves 2015-2016 Playoff bandwagon list:
TheGreatRC
note30
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,548
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#160 » by shrink » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:34 am

theGreatRC wrote:
shrink wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:Rumor on the Bulls board is that they have signed Cook, and Rip is about to be moved.

Thanks for bringing that over!


What you thinking Shrinky?

The ole Roy for Rip?


Yeah - I've posted before why I think it works, but insider sources say the Wolves aren't looking at Rip.

I'll be curious to see what happens.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/richard_hamilton/
User avatar
LordBaldric
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,696
And1: 466
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Too Hot Too Humid
     

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#161 » by LordBaldric » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:35 am

If we could give them a full salary dump for Rip so they don't have to pay lux tax I'm sure they'd throw in a first rounder, but we'd have to get a 3rd team involved since we don't have the unguaranteed deals or cap space to make it happen ourselves.
You don't know the power of the Dark Side!
User avatar
Saltine
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,512
And1: 560
Joined: Jul 20, 2003
Location: Land o' Lakes
     

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#162 » by Saltine » Sat Jan 5, 2013 6:53 am

Rip will be 35 next month, and Chicago never, ever, pays the tax... possible.
ThatsWhatIShved
Banned User
Posts: 331
And1: 34
Joined: Nov 17, 2012

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#163 » by ThatsWhatIShved » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:24 pm

Pacers are waiving Sam Young. He's a lockdown defender but not much offensively outside of baseline jumpers. Worth taking a look at imo, but there are better options out there
User avatar
theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 14,367
And1: 1,222
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#164 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:32 pm

From the Twitterverse:

Roster Move: #Twolves today waived F Lazar Hayward. Roster now stands at 14. Hayward signed as free agent on Dec 31 appeared in 2 games.


https://twitter.com/Twolves_PR

Hopefully we start looking at a permanent solution, but I feel like we're looking at Gelabale for a 20 day in a couple of days.
Timberwolves 2015-2016 Playoff bandwagon list:
TheGreatRC
note30
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 38,972
And1: 3,168
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#165 » by Klomp » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:41 pm

theGreatRC wrote:From the Twitterverse:

Roster Move: #Twolves today waived F Lazar Hayward. Roster now stands at 14. Hayward signed as free agent on Dec 31 appeared in 2 games.


https://twitter.com/Twolves_PR

Hopefully we start looking at a permanent solution, but I feel like we're looking at Gelabale for a 20 day in a couple of days.

His contract would'v become guaranteed for the rest of the season tomorrow. This was expected.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Swish4
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,454
And1: 236
Joined: Oct 21, 2010

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#166 » by Swish4 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:24 am

Sam Young anyone?
Truth is more than just a point of view.
User avatar
Calinks
RealGM
Posts: 28,922
And1: 2,208
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
   

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#167 » by Calinks » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:27 am

CDR is available again.
Image
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Peezo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 888
And1: 40
Joined: Apr 06, 2010

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#168 » by Peezo » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:31 am

A lot of people got waived today around the league. I would love for us to look at a developmental player like a Malcolm Lee who could play the 2 and be counted on to have young fresh legs night after night.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 38,972
And1: 3,168
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#169 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:04 pm

“@DarrenWolfson: I'm told the #Twolves have kicked the tires on free agent Sam Young (out currently w/ an ankle injury), but don't bet on him landing here.”

“@DarrenWolfson: Dominic McGuire is not an option for the #Twolves. Just was told that he signed with the #Pacers this morning.”
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 14,367
And1: 1,222
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#170 » by theGreatRC » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm told the #Twolves have kicked the tires on free agent Sam Young (out currently w/ an ankle injury), but don't bet on him landing here.


Dominic McGuire is not an option for the #Twolves. Just was told that he signed with the #Pacers this morning.
Timberwolves 2015-2016 Playoff bandwagon list:
TheGreatRC
note30

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves