ImageImageImage

Rudy Gay (Grantland)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Re: Rudy Gay (Grantland) 

Post#21 » by Steve_Holiday » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:54 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Who or what is Grantland? Is it a person or a site?

Has this source been reliable?

grantland is a sports/music/pop culture website with connections to espn.com. bill simmons started it...has a bunch of different columnists. I would guess this article was less a rumor from a source and more speculation about a potential landing spot for gay.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#22 » by [RCG] » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:12 am

theGreatRC wrote:Who or what is Grantland? Is it a person or a site?

Has this source been reliable?

I believe its an semi-independent website associated with ESPN started by Bill Simmons. It's semi-reliable but mostly just opinions, ideas and other random articles.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
IShotTheMaid
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#23 » by IShotTheMaid » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:31 am

NO THANKS.

What the wolves need is a consistent 3-point shooter who can defend (like Afflalo but as we all know, Orlando likes him). Rudy Gay just doesn't fit on this team, both because AK is already here and Pekovic needs to be re-signed next season.

Under different circumstances, sure, but he just doesn't fit right now.

Plus, Williams is starting to play better anyways. So you either keep him or trade him for a legit SG.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#24 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:02 am

Gay could solve some of our problems....I think he's been a bit of a disappointment and a little overrated by the casual fan....but fact is he can create his shot, has great size/athleticism, and is a pretty clutch scorer on the wing. AK's defense fits perfectly by Love/Pek, but Gay's offense would be a welcome addition. I'd probably pass, but I would be fine with the trade.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#25 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jan 5, 2013 2:03 am

i think they should see where they max out at when love breaks out his slump and rubio is healthy before any major moves.
mrtcsm
Rookie
And1: 105

Post#26 » by mrtcsm » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:13 am

Magic fan here... don't kill me here, but is this something that would make sense for you guyes:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1224041

It would hurt Min resigning Pek getting Turk back, but if they find a way to make it work... I think everybody wins!
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#27 » by [RCG] » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:19 am

mrtcsm wrote:Magic fan here... don't kill me here, but is this something that would make sense for you guyes:

It would hurt Min resigning Pek getting Turk back, but if they find a way to make it work... I think everybody wins!

That's disgustingly bad for Minnesota. We have to take on Turkoglu and risk Redick leaving while giving up Williams and Barea. Easy no.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#28 » by The J Rocka » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:23 am

mrtcsm wrote:Magic fan here... don't kill me here, but is this something that would make sense for you guyes:

Which is why it won't work.

It doesn't make sense to move Williams for a +2 month rental for Redick when we won't be able to afford him in FA because we have Turk on our books. We also need to re-sign Budinger and give Pek an extension, which wouldn't be possible if this deal was made.

Only way Turk would come back here is if Afflalo is coming back.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#29 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:37 am

ugly brick off the glass for the non-game winner from Gay, yeesh. Any of our guys can do that just fine.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,003

Post#30 » by shrink » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:35 am

I understand the rumors are that ORL is asking for more than Derrick Williams for JJ Redick, but taking on $12 mil owed to Turkoglu is pretty bad. In fact, I personally wouldn't give up Williams since Redick doesn't have an extra year on his deal.

MIN should keep all their assets, and offer Redick the MLE next year. He probably wouldn't take it, but it's certainly not worth the risk of him leaving to put any good assets in a deal.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#31 » by AQuintus » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:52 am

The J Rocka wrote:

This. As it is right now, I don't think many Wolves fans would do a straight Williams for Reddick swap due to the threat of Reddick walking in the off-season. Adding in Barea, who has had occasional excellent games for us, and Turk kills the deal completely.

If we're taking back Turkey Glue's contract, then I'd demand Afflalo, to switch out Barea for Ridnour, and some kind of pick swap included.

Derrick Williams + Roy's contract + Ridnour for Afflalo + Turk + Pick Swap option
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#32 » by Saltine » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:08 am

I wouldn't give up more then Luke for a possible rental, no way Taylor lets Kahn move DWill for a rental player. Not going to happen...
Moving AK47 for Gay is not going to happen either. Gay sucks in the playoffs, and is overpaid, both of those are well known GM facts, which is why Memphis wants to move him.

He plays like Beas in the playoffs, super inefficient. Per 14.6
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... elog/2012/
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#33 » by Peezo » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:21 am

kmgarnett21 wrote:Heck. No!

Anything that makes it more difficult for us to re-sign Pekovic does not make sense to me.

Plus, like others have said, AK's defense/intangibles are more important than what Gay could bring us.

Yeah to me the math is off if you say: MN + Gay = MN - AK and Pek (next season)

I would be WAY more interested in signing Tony Allen away from them in the offseason. Glen says he will go into the luxury tax.

Ricky/JJ (or Luke)
Tony Allen/Shved
AK/draft pick/Nemanja (or preferably Bud if we can re-sign him for cheap enough)
Love/Williams/Cunningham
Pek/Cunningham/Stiemsma

To me that is a team we could actually afford and that and wouldn't require us to break up our core. We would probably have to go right up to the luxury threshold to sign that team depending on who we keep and who gets jettisoned.

Also why would we want to help Memphis get under the tax anyways? I'd rather see that team have to break it up and hurt what a nice thing they have going.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#34 » by Peezo » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:29 am

I'm certainly in the minority here, but I don't even want to trade Derrick for JJ straight up considering he can walk, so I don't think this value is as strong as you'd think. Also I think the fact that ORL says it will take more than Williams doesn't mean there is any way we would pay more than that. It just sounds as if your GM would want more, doesn't mean we were/are contemplating offering more than DW. I sure hope we aren't.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#35 » by Dewey » Sat Jan 5, 2013 2:28 pm

AQuintus wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

This. As it is right now, I don't think many Wolves fans would do a straight Williams for Reddick swap due to the threat of Reddick walking in the off-season. Adding in Barea, who has had occasional excellent games for us, and Turk kills the deal completely.

If we're taking back Turkey Glue's contract, then I'd demand Afflalo, to switch out Barea for Ridnour, and some kind of pick swap included.

Derrick Williams + Roy's contract + Ridnour for Afflalo + Turk + Pick Swap option

Agree on keeping JJB over Ridnour, but I'm actually okay with Reddick or Afflalo if came down to it. I think reddick would love his fit here.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves