Varejao Rumor

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Varejao Rumor 

Post#1 » by C.lupus » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:02 pm

So word on the tweet is the Wolves and Cavs are talking about a potential Varejao swap. I don't know how serious the talks are but it does sound like they are talking.

NBA Trade Rumor: Cavaliers, T-Wolves Talking Trade Involving Varejao

It’s being reported by Legion Sports (@MySportsLegion) that the Cavaliers and Minnesota Timberwolves are discussing a trade involving Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao as well as Minnesota forward Derrick Williams and center Nikola Pekovic.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2013/ ... g-varejao/

@APkrawczynski
@CruzTheSequel I don't see anyway they include both Pek and Williams in a deal for Varejao. But I know the two sides are talking.

According to the Cavs board, Cleveland has no interest in Williams but I can't see Kahn trading Pek at this point, either - unless they know they aren't going to be able to afford him next year. I like this if it is Williams going out. I'm not crazy about it with Pek going out.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#2 » by Esohny » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:04 pm

There would need to be something else besides Varejao coming back if Pek is going out.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 1,997

Post#3 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:04 pm

If Pek is being traded for AV I will be really mad...AV has played great this season but he's older then Pek and has a really big injury history.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by C.lupus » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:08 pm

Yeah, I'm having trouble with the value. We'd definitely need more coming back with Pek but we'd need to add more with Derrick. I'm just not sure what we have that would interest a rebuilding team other than Shved, who I assume is off limits for obvious reasons.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by C.lupus » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:09 pm

Also, would a rebuilding team want Pek with his contract situation?
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 1,997

Post#6 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:20 pm

C.lupus wrote:Yeah, I'm having trouble with the value. We'd definitely need more coming back with Pek but we'd need to add more with Derrick. I'm just not sure what we have that would interest a rebuilding team other than Shved, who I assume is off limits for obvious reasons.

If we traded our pick with Derrick...that could be fair value....depending if we make the playoffs I spose. I probably wouldn't want to do that either.

I want to roll with what we have for now...and then wait to see around the deadline what is available. Derrick has started to play well in limited time, let him boost his value a bit.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by C.lupus » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:28 pm

Williams + Roy + First for Varejao + Gee? Maybe throw in Steamer?

Cleveland gets a late first, a prospect, and $5M expiring (They'll have a ton of salary coming off the books next year)

Sign Gelabale.

Rubio/Ridnour/Barea
Shved/Gee
Kirilenko/Gelabale/ (Budinger)
Varejao/Cunningham (Love)
Pekovic/Varejao/Amundson

That's a beastly frontcourt
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#8 » by Mattya » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:57 pm

I don't see how we can trade Pek right now outside of money. The goal should be to stay in the hunt, not make a lateral move and get older. No way do I include Williams.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#9 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:12 pm

hell to the no if pek is going out and just a simple no if dw is going out. we rebound the ball just fine(1st in rebounds per game and differential) and that is the one area andy is elite in and for a guy who will turn 31 this year with a history of injuries i'm not sure how reliable he can be. we need to give dw more of a chance with love down and if we do look to make a move it should be to fortify a wing position and at least a bit younger than andy imo. i'm not sure if we can afford 9.5/10 million for a back up(he has a 5% trade kicker)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,824

Post#10 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:45 pm

I read that MySportsLegion has no credibility.

They said it did no investigative reporting, and only reprinted rumors from any source.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,018

Post#11 » by Dewey » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:54 pm

AV does have a couple years left on his deal and would be a nice rotational player with Love & Pek ... short-term with Love out, its obvious we could use him now, plus cheaper than Pau deals. On the flip-side, DW has started to show some positive spurts on both ends of the floor, so we need to be careful not to bastardize his potential and under-sell.

If we move Pek, I assume we got a SG coming back with AV ... I highly doubt this is the option if any.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,824

Post#12 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:56 pm

I wrote this last night:

shrink wrote:Varejao is one of the reasons that I wish that fans hadn't fallen in love with their stats in "per game average" form. Players get paid for 82 games, whether they are healthy or not, and they should be assessed by how much they contribute to the team for those 82 games.

Varejao played only 31 games in 2010-11, and 25 in 11-12. I believe he's injury prone (he's out right now with a new injury) because of his style of play, and we'll continue to see him weeks and months out of the line-up.

If he was a healthy player, I think he'd be a fantastic addition WITH Pekovic and Love. But to trade Pek, and hope Varejao can be relied on to be our starting center instead of Steimsma (shudder), is a ridiculous gamble - especially at the price this person's talking about.

Do you guys remember when some of you thought Andrew Bynum >> Al Jefferson? Jefferson had twice the rebounds and points because he showed up for twice the games. Teams like LAL may be able to afford dropping a ton of money into a guy that doesn't show up a lot of the time, because they have the extra money to afford additional great players. For the rest of us, if you pay a guy big, you need him on the floor. That's the problem with Varejao.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#13 » by Niko23 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:59 pm

Hey Guys - I heard this same rumor. I was listening to the local radio and they say AV will be traded in 48 hrs. I emailed them for confirmation because I was unsure if I heard that correctly.

I am not sure how the value adds up. Pek is too much and D Will is too little. I assume you guys own your draft pick this year?
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#14 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:03 pm

Niko23 wrote:Hey Guys - I heard this same rumor. I was listening to the local radio and they say AV will be traded in 48 hrs. I emailed them for confirmation because I was unsure if I heard that correctly.

I am not sure how the value adds up. Pek is too much and D Will is too little. I assume you guys own your draft pick this year?

yes we do own our pick....we also own the memphis' pick but that will be going to phoenix.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#15 » by theGreatRC » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:07 pm

I would trade any pick + D Will to get Verajao here.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by C.lupus » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:08 pm

We own A draft pick this year but it's complicated. We owe the lesser of ours or Memphis' to PHX. Either way, it would be a mid-late first.

I agree with your take shrink. FWIW, My Sport Legion may have no credibility but Wolfson and Krawczynski have both reported that the two teams have talked or are talking.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,018

Post#17 » by Dewey » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:10 pm

shrink wrote:I read that MySportsLegion has no credibility.

They said it did no investigative reporting, and only reprinted rumors from any source.

No credibility would be attempting to suggest a specific media source such as "MySportsLegion" as unreliable ... compared to what? Pretty much all media sources are hacks to a degree and continuously spew unnamed "sources". The Wolves have had AV discussions the last couple tears, so I dont hink there is news here (and yes, lilely some reprinted crap), but whether talks are mutual is always the unknown and draws interest I suppose.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#18 » by Niko23 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:15 pm

I believe SI tweeted about it yesterday:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1473 ... erm-future
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,503

Post#19 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:19 pm

Niko23 wrote:I believe SI tweeted about it yesterday:

11:04 AM ET 01.06 | Sources say the Cavs and Timberwolves have talked about an Anderson Varejao trade. Minnesota would probably want the Cavs to take back forward Derrick Williams, which could be a deal-breaker. The Cavs could have interest in center Nikola Pekovic, a bruising 6-11, 290-pounder. Before anyone gets excited, forward Kevin Love is not available.

The Morning Journal
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#20 » by Mattya » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:21 pm

Klomp wrote:
Niko23 wrote:I believe SI tweeted about it yesterday:

11:04 AM ET 01.06 | Sources say the Cavs and Timberwolves have talked about an Anderson Varejao trade. Minnesota would probably want the Cavs to take back forward Derrick Williams, which could be a deal-breaker. The Cavs could have interest in center Nikola Pekovic, a bruising 6-11, 290-pounder. Before anyone gets excited, forward Kevin Love is not available.

The Morning Journal

It sounds bogus once it talks about us wanting them to take back Williams. So we want them to take on extra value for what reason exactly?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves