Varejao Rumor

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,100

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#61 » by Calinks » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:42 pm

End of the day Williams at 21 years of age, can still be considered a project because he has potential. Those guys are usually considered positive assets not something you are forced to take on. I don't see why the Cavs would be upset at D-Will be "thrown into" a Pekovic trade.

If I was a rebuilding team I'd def think about taking a crack at him.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#62 » by MrTwister » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:13 pm

i am not quite sure why would Minny give young,athletic PF which can develop as time goes and Pek which is one of the best scoring centers for Varejao "good rebounder" while Minny is #1 rebounding team along with Nuggets.
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#63 » by Peezo » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:31 pm

I think another understated aspect of our team is that we have had so many injuries (that is clearly NOT understated) that we shouldn't and probably are not in a rush to make any "throw-ins" where we would be sending two of our contributors for one. We have about 8 healthy players on any given night, and don't need to lower the number of people who have played in our system. At some point in the NBA, you need bodies. This is not a reason to keep anyone, simply one more reason why in this case Derrick should not be seen as a throw in.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#64 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:01 am

Williams along with a PG and possibly pick for Varejao is fine. Trading Pek for him AND adding Williams is overkill and would come back to bite when Varejao misses 20+ games next season.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#65 » by Niko23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:15 am

Can you guys give me a breakdown on how Williams gets his points? Is it mainly perimeter oriented or is it in the post? Again I agree that we, the Cavs, cannot expect a Pek for AV trade. I think it would be D Will and a pick for AV.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#66 » by LordBaldric » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:26 am

Outrageous
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#67 » by C.lupus » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:26 am

Niko23 wrote:Can you guys give me a breakdown on how Williams gets his points? Is it mainly perimeter oriented or is it in the post? Again I agree that we, the Cavs, cannot expect a Pek for AV trade. I think it would be D Will and a pick for AV.

Mostly spot ups. He's a pretty good 3 point shooter. He also gets a fair amount of points in transition, off cuts, and to a lesser extent off isolation plays. He usually gets an entertaining alley oop or two from Rubio once or twice per game also. He really doesn't post up much. He's also very frustrating on his drives as he is athletic and a good dunker but always wants to do an extra Euro step and try some acrobatic scoop instead of just driving and dunking. That should be fixable with coaching in theory.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#68 » by Niko23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:35 am

C.lupus wrote:
Niko23 wrote:Can you guys give me a breakdown on how Williams gets his points? Is it mainly perimeter oriented or is it in the post? Again I agree that we, the Cavs, cannot expect a Pek for AV trade. I think it would be D Will and a pick for AV.

Mostly spot ups. He's a pretty good 3 point shooter. He also gets a fair amount of points in transition, off cuts, and to a lesser extent off isolation plays. He usually gets an entertaining alley oop or two from Rubio once or twice per game also. He really doesn't post up much. He's also very frustrating on his drives as he is athletic and a good dunker but always wants to do an extra Euro step and try some acrobatic scoop instead of just driving and dunking. That should be fixable with coaching in theory.

Thanks. I have maintained my theory that Tristan is a much better player when he is paired with a stretch player at the other forward/center position. Since AV has been out - his numbers have gone way up due to the spacing concerns (Zeller starting). I just watched some highlights on D Will and sheesh the guy plays like a SF.....he should definitely keeps the floor spread if we go small and play Tristan at the 5 and Williams at the 4.....

For AV - if you guys land him he will be a fan favorite. He has to be on your team to like him. He goes 200% on every possession. He and Pek would do well together
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#69 » by AQuintus » Tue Jan 8, 2013 1:24 am

C.lupus wrote:He really doesn't post up much.

From what I've seen, he posts up quite a bit, it's just that he often settles for the turnaround J instead of backing his man down and going up strong.

He's also very frustrating on his drives as he is athletic and a good dunker but always wants to do an extra Euro step and try some acrobatic scoop instead of just driving and dunking.

A lot of that seems like it's because he isn't confident in his handles. He seems to pick up the ball too early which results in him having to jump one or two steps too early, which prevents him from going up strong. It helps that he doesn't shy away from contact, which means that he gets to the line at a fair rate (pretty even less than he should), but after contact he likes to try for the acrobatic flip finish rather than a strong, fundamental finish.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#70 » by Tirion » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:42 am

C.lupus wrote:

He's too slow and he can't dribble, unless it's a straight line to the hoop. He doesn't drive and dunk every time not because he doesn't want to (if you seen his instagram, you know that he loves his dunks). He just can't. He can jump high and has a good hand-eye coordination, but he's just not quick enough to get to the hoop in the NBA. That not something you can fix either.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,457

Post#71 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jan 8, 2013 1:36 pm

I disagree that he's too slow, he's quicker than most power forwards and most of the time has no problem getting to the rim. He just can't finish.
NewWolves
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#72 » by NewWolves » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:02 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I disagree that he's too slow, he's quicker than most power forwards and most of the time has no problem getting to the rim. He just can't finish.

Agree, he seems to have no problem beating his opponent by driving, and them trying some crazy/fancy finish - which is not working. Sometimes it almost seems he make an easy basket into an improbable/difficult one.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#73 » by Foye » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:12 pm

NewWolves wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I disagree that he's too slow, he's quicker than most power forwards and most of the time has no problem getting to the rim. He just can't finish.

Agree, he seems to have no problem beating his opponent by driving, and them trying some crazy/fancy finish - which is not working. Sometimes it almost seems he make an easy basket into an improbable/difficult one.

I think the main problem is that he is too fat. He can't dunk in traffic because he doesn't get off the ground with his heavy body enough. That will force him into some tough layup which he is very bad at finishing.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by C.lupus » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:19 pm

I'll go ahead a stick these in this thread for lack of a better place...

Ben W ‏@mntwins020733
@DarrenWolfson any names we should be listening for?

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson
@mntwins020733 Varejao, Redick, Dudley, and probably many others.

Emilio ‏@CruzTheSequel
@APkrawczynski any ideas on who we are looking at?

Jon Krawczynski ‏@APkrawczynski
@CruzTheSequel Hard to say right now, but I think Varejao and Redick are certainly on the radar. And I won't rule out Pau either.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#75 » by Esohny » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:24 pm

This continued Pau nonsense from the local media still mystifies me. I understand the LA media spouting it off, because their sources would be Lakers front office trying to pump up a crippeled Pau's value, but I don't understand who the locals are talking to. Unless it's just them repeating ESPN/LA guys, but I thought Doogie and the Associated Press guy didn't suck that badly.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,503

Post#76 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:32 pm

Esohny wrote:This continued Pau nonsense from the local media still mystifies me. I understand the LA media spouting it off, because their sources would be Lakers front office trying to pump up a crippeled Pau's value, but I don't understand who the locals are talking to. Unless it's just them repeating ESPN/LA guys, but I thought Doogie and the Associated Press guy didn't suck that badly.

The thing is, Kahn and Adelman like what Pau could bring to the team if healthy. That's why our guys keep reporting it.

The problem lies in his injury status, salary, possible decline, and the LA media's perceived trade value of the guy. That's why it's hard to see a deal happening anytime soon.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by C.lupus » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah, I can see them liking the fit - Pau's game would look nice in Adelman's offense. But liking the fit and liking the pricetag are two very different things.

Glad to see Redick's and Dudley's names still being mentioned.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,824

Post#78 » by shrink » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:54 pm

RotoWorld wrote:Anderson Varejao (knee) did not return to practice Tuesday and will not play in Wednesday's game against the Hawks.

The vibes out of Cleveland on Varejao continue to be scary. What was originally called a minor knee contusion has now kept the rebounding machine out a full three weeks. Perhaps those Brazilian reports of a torn quad had some validity as coach Byron Scott reportedly sounded "pessimistic" Tuesday, saying he expects Varejao back "this year."
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#79 » by Esohny » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
Esohny wrote:This continued Pau nonsense from the local media still mystifies me. I understand the LA media spouting it off, because their sources would be Lakers front office trying to pump up a crippeled Pau's value, but I don't understand who the locals are talking to. Unless it's just them repeating ESPN/LA guys, but I thought Doogie and the Associated Press guy didn't suck that badly.

The thing is, Kahn and Adelman like what Pau could bring to the team if healthy. That's why our guys keep reporting it.

The problem lies in his injury status, salary, possible decline, and the LA media's perceived trade value of the guy. That's why it's hard to see a deal happening anytime soon.

That's like saying that you like what prime Jordan would bring to the team. It's true, but it's irrelevant.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,283

Post#80 » by younggunsmn » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:11 pm

Varejao is a walking injury. Keep away at all costs. This team has enough damn injury problems to take on a guy that injury-prone.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves