ImageImageImage

Varejao Rumor

Moderators: C.lupus, Basti, Klomp

User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 38,356
And1: 2,953
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#76 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:32 pm

Esohny wrote:This continued Pau nonsense from the local media still mystifies me. I understand the LA media spouting it off, because their sources would be Lakers front office trying to pump up a crippeled Pau's value, but I don't understand who the locals are talking to. Unless it's just them repeating ESPN/LA guys, but I thought Doogie and the Associated Press guy didn't suck that badly.

The thing is, Kahn and Adelman like what Pau could bring to the team if healthy. That's why our guys keep reporting it.

The problem lies in his injury status, salary, possible decline, and the LA media's perceived trade value of the guy. That's why it's hard to see a deal happening anytime soon.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
C.lupus
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 26,396
And1: 5,462
Joined: Nov 02, 2007
Location: Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
   

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#77 » by C.lupus » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah, I can see them liking the fit - Pau's game would look nice in Adelman's offense. But liking the fit and liking the pricetag are two very different things.




Glad to see Redick's and Dudley's names still being mentioned.
Image
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,541
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#78 » by shrink » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:54 pm

RotoWorld wrote:Anderson Varejao (knee) did not return to practice Tuesday and will not play in Wednesday's game against the Hawks.

The vibes out of Cleveland on Varejao continue to be scary. What was originally called a minor knee contusion has now kept the rebounding machine out a full three weeks. Perhaps those Brazilian reports of a torn quad had some validity as coach Byron Scott reportedly sounded "pessimistic" Tuesday, saying he expects Varejao back "this year."
User avatar
Esohny
RealGM
Posts: 11,586
And1: 327
Joined: Apr 18, 2009
Location: Saint Paul
     

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#79 » by Esohny » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
Esohny wrote:This continued Pau nonsense from the local media still mystifies me. I understand the LA media spouting it off, because their sources would be Lakers front office trying to pump up a crippeled Pau's value, but I don't understand who the locals are talking to. Unless it's just them repeating ESPN/LA guys, but I thought Doogie and the Associated Press guy didn't suck that badly.

The thing is, Kahn and Adelman like what Pau could bring to the team if healthy. That's why our guys keep reporting it.

The problem lies in his injury status, salary, possible decline, and the LA media's perceived trade value of the guy. That's why it's hard to see a deal happening anytime soon.


That's like saying that you like what prime Jordan would bring to the team. It's true, but it's irrelevant.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
younggunsmn
Analyst
Posts: 3,358
And1: 27
Joined: May 28, 2007
Location: Hiding from the thought police.

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#80 » by younggunsmn » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:11 pm

Varejao is a walking injury. Keep away at all costs. This team has enough damn injury problems to take on a guy that injury-prone.
User avatar
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,413
And1: 1,632
Joined: Jun 27, 2009
Location: Minneapolis
   

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#81 » by The J Rocka » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:12 pm

shrink wrote:
RotoWorld wrote:Anderson Varejao (knee) did not return to practice Tuesday and will not play in Wednesday's game against the Hawks.

The vibes out of Cleveland on Varejao continue to be scary. What was originally called a minor knee contusion has now kept the rebounding machine out a full three weeks. Perhaps those Brazilian reports of a torn quad had some validity as coach Byron Scott reportedly sounded "pessimistic" Tuesday, saying he expects Varejao back "this year."

Plenty more of this to come.
User avatar
Niko23
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,509
And1: 770
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
     

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#82 » by Niko23 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:18 pm

Just heard it on local radio - AV out 6-8 weeks. You guys can take him off his list
User avatar
C.lupus
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 26,396
And1: 5,462
Joined: Nov 02, 2007
Location: Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
   

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#83 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:49 pm

Yikes. Well we need a shooting guard anyway.
Image
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,541
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#84 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:13 pm

Niko23 wrote:Just heard it on local radio - AV out 6-8 weeks. You guys can take him off his list

appreciate the update niko
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 38,356
And1: 2,953
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#85 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:39 pm

Yup, scratch that one off the list.

Back to Pau...:lol:
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
cpfsf
General Manager
Posts: 8,200
And1: 601
Joined: Apr 10, 2008
Location: your mom

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#86 » by cpfsf » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:46 pm

Klomp wrote:Yup, scratch that one off the list.

Back to Pau...:lol:


a trade is theoretically possible, but i haven't really seen a proposal that makes any sense.
Image
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 18,540
And1: 804
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#87 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:22 pm

I don't see anyone in the NBA trading for Pau at this point. He's taken a huge nose dive.
Image
Sig by C.lupus
User avatar
Viljanen
Junior
Posts: 271
And1: 57
Joined: Jan 21, 2012
Location: Madrid

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#88 » by Viljanen » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:22 pm

I would do a Williams + Roy + Barea for Gasol.

Kirilenko? well that´s too much at this point even for me being a Gasol fan.

Pau is one of the very few superstars around the league who would come and play super professional from minute 0 even if this is not a big market. His contract is big but short enough not to be a problem.

There´s at least a 50% chance he´ll come back to shape and play 2 more years at elite level. I think that´s the biggest window this team has to be a contender next year (provided they can resign Pek). It´s a risk, but I think it´s better than not doing anything. The current core is not wining a championship. With a healthy Pau, next year...
Los de Valladolid somos de los Timberwolves de toda la vida.
NewWolvesOrder
Analyst
Posts: 3,157
And1: 196
Joined: Dec 20, 2008

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#89 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:51 pm

Viljanen wrote:I would do a Williams + Roy + Barea for Gasol.

Kirilenko? well that´s too much at this point even for me being a Gasol fan.

Pau is one of the very few superstars around the league who would come and play super professional from minute 0 even if this is not a big market. His contract is big but short enough not to be a problem.

There´s at least a 50% chance he´ll come back to shape and play 2 more years at elite level. I think that´s the biggest window this team has to be a contender next year (provided they can resign Pek). It´s a risk, but I think it´s better than not doing anything. The current core is not wining a championship. With a healthy Pau, next year...


So who plays in the post? Pek or Gasoil? If it's Pek then Pau is stuck in the same sutuation so what's the poit if he can't play center full time? I don't believe for a second that he can lift us to contender status.
User avatar
Saltine
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,287
And1: 475
Joined: Jul 20, 2003
Location: Land o' Lakes
     

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#90 » by Saltine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 am

Pau is not a superstar, this whole line of thought is a wee bit delusional... he's an old guy with knee problems who is paid way too much cash.
User avatar
Viljanen
Junior
Posts: 271
And1: 57
Joined: Jan 21, 2012
Location: Madrid

Re: Varejao Rumor 

Post#91 » by Viljanen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 am

Turnover_21 wrote:So who plays in the post? Pek or Gasoil? If it's Pek then Pau is stuck in the same sutuation so what's the poit if he can't play center full time? I don't believe for a second that he can lift us to contender status.


Pau can play some PF and some as backup C. The problem with him now is that he´s going through injuries and the kind of PF he´s been told to be in Lakers. He played this summer in the Olimpics paired with Marc Gasol and the result was good. He´s played with Bynum with quite success as well. Playing PF´s minutes he can recieve the ball at Cunningham´s spots on offense and be able not only to take the jumper but also to be a complete triple threat (as much as i like Cunningham, he´s quite limited offensively).

Having Pau and Love, or Pau and Pek playing against the reserve unit of the rival´s team is a huge advantage. You can just put balls inside and watch them work and get foul calls.
(If healthy) we´d have by far the best interior game of the league, at least two more years of cheap quality players at PG and SG positions (Rubio/Shved), a great glue guy as AK and a 6th man/3 point threat like Buddinger. I´d like our chances much more than not trying anything.
Los de Valladolid somos de los Timberwolves de toda la vida.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves