yardbarker

Minnesota Timberwolves Awards

Season Player Award
2013-2014 Kevin Love Player Of The Week (West, Feb 24, 2014)
2013-2014 Kevin Love Player Of The Week (West, Nov 4, 2013)
2013-2014 Gorgui Dieng Rookie Of The Month (West, Mar)
2012-2013 Nikola Pekovic Player Of The Week (West, Apr 8, 2013)
2011-2012 Kevin Love All-NBA Second Team
2011-2012 Ricky Rubio All-Rookie First Team

See all Minnesota Timberwolves awards

Nikola Pekovic

Moderators: Basti, Klomp, C.lupus

Post#31 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:51 am by sisibilio

Assuming Wolves FO is not sold enough to give him the max what would you think about
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ax3neje
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,076
And1: 239
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Top

Post#32 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 pm by C.lupus

Basti wrote:The only issue that I have with potentially giving him the max, or anything close to that, is the fact that Pek has a tendency to be out with nagging smaller injuries. In most of the cases they happened because of accidents and collisions with other players but it still leaves some sort of question marks.

If he can play ~75 games a season at the level he's been playing thus far he's worth throwing the max at. Or more likely he's worth matching the max offer some other team will throw at him.

Yeah, that seems to be the only thing that slows him down and he does seem to be a little susceptible to those nagging injuries. I'm guessing that will always be his story. He just has a lot of mass and does a lot of wrestling in the post. So far everything has been of the minor nagging variety, though, so I don't think it will limit his value much.
Image
C.lupus



Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
User avatar
Posts: 23,055
And1: 2,488
Joined: Nov 2, 2007
Location: The land of the ice and snow and the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
Top

Post#33 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 pm by Basti

sisibilio wrote:Assuming Wolves FO is not sold enough to give him the max what would you think about
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ax3neje


I actually like this trade idea. I'd hate losing Pek because he's among my favorite Wolves ever but in that scenario I'd think this is a nice offer.
Image
Thanks to my man Loopers for the great signature
Basti

Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 33,831
And1: 1,073
Joined: Sep 7, 2005
Location: Æ har en ståkukk!
Top

Post#34 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 pm by Dual

yep, nice trade.
Image
Dual

Senior
User avatar
Posts: 522
And1: 14
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Top

Post#35 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Montenegrin

I hope that Pekovic will recommend another underrated Montenegrin tall Bojan Dubljevic to your scouts.I think that he would be great back-up PF-C for your team.He currently plays in Spain for Valencia and he is very good versatile player and he can play very well under the basket and outside(he is PF-C,but I think that he is above 50% in shooting 3-point shots).I think that he is not even drafted and that you could get him for small amount of money.I have no doubt that he would be much better back-up then Stiesma is right now.He has very high basketball IQ,something like Vucevic who was also underestimated when he was younger.
Montenegrin
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 19, 2012
Top

Post#36 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 pm by sisibilio

Dubljevic is still eligible in this year's draft, and if he keeps playing like he has lately i'm sure some team will select him.
He'd be a bi steal if he sliped up to the Wolves 2nd round pick.

BTW i don't know what they're feeding these guys but having in a short span Pekovic, Vucevic, Dubljevic, Mirotic and some other interesting bg man prospects like Marko Todorovic all coming from a country with 1/5 the population of the Twin cities metro is incredible.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,076
And1: 239
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Top

Post#37 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:39 pm by Montenegrin

sisibilio wrote:Dubljevic is still eligible in this year's draft, and if he keeps playing like he has lately i'm sure some team will select him.
He'd be a bi steal if he sliped up to the Wolves 2nd round pick.

BTW i don't know what they're feeding these guys but having in a short span Pekovic, Vucevic, Dubljevic, Mirotic and some other interesting bg man prospects like Marko Todorovic all coming from a country with 1/5 the population of the Twin cities metro is incredible.

Well,its not just basketball.We are punching waaaaaay above our waist in every major European sport we play,like football(you call it soccer) and handball,men and women :D .I am just sad that American football is not popular over here,because I am certain there should be talent or two in my country for that sport too :wink: .
Concerning Dubljevic,cant he just skip the draft and come and play for whoever he chooses for?Sorry,but I am not really acquainted with draft rules.
Montenegrin
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 19, 2012
Top

Post#38 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:50 pm by sisibilio

Montenegrin wrote:Concerning Dubljevic,cant he just skip the draft and come and play for whoever he chooses for?Sorry,but I am not really acquainted with draft rules.

Nope. A player is automatically eliigible the year he turns 22.
And i'm from Spain, so i call it football too. :lol:
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,076
And1: 239
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Top

Post#39 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 pm by Montenegrin

sisibilio wrote:
Montenegrin wrote:Concerning Dubljevic,cant he just skip the draft and come and play for whoever he chooses for?Sorry,but I am not really acquainted with draft rules.

Nope. A player is automatically eliigible the year he turns 22.
And i'm from Spain, so i call it football too. :lol:

:lol:
Oh well,it is the only real football after all,you play it with your feet,not hands like this American rugby-like game :D .
Montenegrin
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 19, 2012
Top

Post#40 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 pm by VUK1

A few quick questions on Pek im hoping someone can answer!

1. If another team offers say 11M a season, but the Wolves only offer 10M - is he forced to leave even if his personal preference is to stay? can they strike a deal now for next season? How exactly does the RFA process work? What if the Wolves offered a 4yr 40M deal but another team offered a 1 year 16M for example?

2. Why is there such major concern that Pekovic will be offered the Max or close to it? the reason for this question is that from what I can tell the main threats (teams with Cap room and no Centre position) are Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte and Portland.

Fans of both Portland and Charlotte seem to be majorly concerned about maintaining cap flexibility to be able to keep their recent rookies/prospects and neither seem to want Pek locked into a long-term deal. Their interest is more in length and shot blocking which is not Pek

Dallas and Atlanta both might be waiting to see what happens with Dwight Howard. Dallas especially seems to keep offering 1 yr deals to be in the game for the major free-agents.

Atlanta i dont know what their plan is - im guessing this team is the greatest threat regarding offering a Max deal.

I guess what im saying is that is it really a sure thing that Pek's contract is going to kill the Wolves Cap and be max level ? Am i missing out on another team that could offer the Max?
VUK1
Sophomore
Posts: 105
And1: 4
Joined: Feb 26, 2012
Top

Post#41 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm by Klomp

VUK1 wrote:1. If another team offers say 11M a season, but the Wolves only offer 10M - is he forced to leave even if his personal preference is to stay? can they strike a deal now for next season? How exactly does the RFA process work? What if the Wolves offered a 4yr 40M deal but another team offered a 1 year 16M for example?


No. He can accept whatever contract he wants. However, if he accepts another team's offer, no matter the price, Minnesota has the right to match the offer. If we match, he's ours and we pay whatever contract terms he agreed to with the other team.

VUK1 wrote:2. Why is there such major concern that Pekovic will be offered the Max or close to it? the reason for this question is that from what I can tell the main threats (teams with Cap room and no Centre position) are Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte and Portland.

Fans of both Portland and Charlotte seem to be majorly concerned about maintaining cap flexibility to be able to keep their recent rookies/prospects and neither seem to want Pek locked into a long-term deal. Their interest is more in length and shot blocking which is not Pek

Dallas and Atlanta both might be waiting to see what happens with Dwight Howard. Dallas especially seems to keep offering 1 yr deals to be in the game for the major free-agents.

Atlanta i dont know what their plan is - im guessing this team is the greatest threat regarding offering a Max deal.

I guess what im saying is that is it really a sure thing that Pek's contract is going to kill the Wolves Cap and be max level ? Am i missing out on another team that could offer the Max?


His maximum will start somewhere around 13 million, so it isn't too far-fetched to see someone offer that. If a team badly wants him, they have to take in mind that they may need to overpay so that our front office will question whether its worth it to pay him that much. Many times, RFAs are paid more than they "deserve."

As for what teams will do, it's hard to say. Portland doesn't have any more of their own to lock up other than Lilliard, but that's way down the line. There's also the factor that the two front offices don't really like each other, though that's somewhat blown out of proportion.

It really comes down to how badly a team wants to add a center this offseason. This year's FA center crop is loaded, so it's hard to guess what might happen. We just have to be prepared for anything!
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp


Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
User avatar
Posts: 33,247
And1: 749
Joined: Jul 8, 2005
Top

Post#42 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 pm by VUK1

Thank you Klomp - I guess its watch this space.... Just gotta echo some of the sentiment on this board - i have a feeling as long as the TWolves offer somewhere ballpark Pek will accept even if its less....

I'd hate to see him on another team!

Cheers
VUK1
Sophomore
Posts: 105
And1: 4
Joined: Feb 26, 2012
Top

Post#43 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:39 pm by [RCG]

VUK1 wrote:A few quick questions on Pek im hoping someone can answer!

1. If another team offers say 11M a season, but the Wolves only offer 10M - is he forced to leave even if his personal preference is to stay? can they strike a deal now for next season? How exactly does the RFA process work? What if the Wolves offered a 4yr 40M deal but another team offered a 1 year 16M for example?


Pekovic has to sign any deal. A team can offer him $11m but he doesn't have to sign a contract with them and can instead take the Wolves offer of $10m if he so chooses hypothetically speaking. If he does sign a contract with another team then the Wolves must offer him the same terms of the contract he signed (same $). Pekovic can't re-sign with the Wolves for some odd reason I forget. But it doesn't make sense to me for both sides. Wolves want to lock him up and Pek could very well have a major knee injury that may leave him unsigned in the offseason or decrease his payday. It's withholding insurance from both sides IMO.[/quote]

2. Why is there such major concern that Pekovic will be offered the Max or close to it? the reason for this question is that from what I can tell the main threats (teams with Cap room and no Centre position) are Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte and Portland.

Fans of both Portland and Charlotte seem to be majorly concerned about maintaining cap flexibility to be able to keep their recent rookies/prospects and neither seem to want Pek locked into a long-term deal. Their interest is more in length and shot blocking which is not Pek

Dallas and Atlanta both might be waiting to see what happens with Dwight Howard. Dallas especially seems to keep offering 1 yr deals to be in the game for the major free-agents.

Atlanta i dont know what their plan is - im guessing this team is the greatest threat regarding offering a Max deal.

I guess what im saying is that is it really a sure thing that Pek's contract is going to kill the Wolves Cap and be max level ? Am i missing out on another team that could offer the Max?


I don't think he'll get close to the max, more in the $9-12 mil range. But productive centers are more of a rare commodity. Portland is the most likely to throw a bunch of money at him because it is the weak spot of their roster. Other teams may be willing to spend if/when they miss out on other big name free agents like Howard, Paul, Iggy, Smith which is why it is important to try and sign Pek early in free agency. Most of the big-$ centers are young athletic guys like Jordan, McGee who will block shots. That isn't Pek's game so hopefully he won't see the max for the Wolves' sake. I also think the new CBA will help keep those mega-contracts to a minimum as teams will go about spending a little more wisely.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 7,047
And1: 133
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul
Top

Post#44 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 am by Klomp

[RCG] wrote:I don't think he'll get close to the max, more in the $9-12 mil range.


VUK1 wrote:Just gotta echo some of the sentiment on this board - i have a feeling as long as the TWolves offer somewhere ballpark Pek will accept even if its less....

First, to address RCGs point, his max, if the same as last year, will start at $13,668,750. So, if he's on the high end of your range, isn't that close to the max? Or are you talking the overall deal (which would be 4/60, or 15m per)?

That is the interesting phenomenon here, whether Pek negotiates with us first, or goes on the open market to get as much money as possible, knowing Minnesota can match. If he negotiates with us first, I can see him getting in the 9-12 range. If he waits though, I fully expect someone to offer him the max, just to see what Kahn will do.

[RCG] wrote:Pekovic can't re-sign with the Wolves for some odd reason I forget.


We just can't sign him to an extension before July 1, which is when ANY team can offer him a contract.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp


Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
User avatar
Posts: 33,247
And1: 749
Joined: Jul 8, 2005
Top

Post#45 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 am by [RCG]

Klomp wrote:
[RCG] wrote:I don't think he'll get close to the max, more in the $9-12 mil range.


VUK1 wrote:Just gotta echo some of the sentiment on this board - i have a feeling as long as the TWolves offer somewhere ballpark Pek will accept even if its less....

First, to address RCGs point, his max, if the same as last year, will start at $13,668,750. So, if he's on the high end of your range, isn't that close to the max? Or are you talking the overall deal (which would be 4/60, or 15m per)?

That is the interesting phenomenon here, whether Pek negotiates with us first, or goes on the open market to get as much money as possible, knowing Minnesota can match. If he negotiates with us first, I can see him getting in the 9-12 range. If he waits though, I fully expect someone to offer him the max, just to see what Kahn will do.

[RCG] wrote:Pekovic can't re-sign with the Wolves for some odd reason I forget.


We just can't sign him to an extension before July 1, which is when ANY team can offer him a contract.


Overall deal. I'm thinking 4/48-ish. The vibe I get is that Pekovic is happy here and will take a deal if he thinks it is fair.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 7,047
And1: 133
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul
Top

Post#46 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 am by Klomp

[RCG] wrote:Overall deal. I'm thinking 4/48-ish. The vibe I get is that Pekovic is happy here and will take a deal if he thinks it is fair.

Something to keep in mind: Pekovic shares the same agent as Al Jefferson, who reportedly took less when he signed his Minnesota extension for 4/50.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp


Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
User avatar
Posts: 33,247
And1: 749
Joined: Jul 8, 2005
Top

Post#47 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 am by [RCG]

Klomp wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Pekovic can't re-sign with the Wolves for some odd reason I forget.


We just can't sign him to an extension before July 1, which is when ANY team can offer him a contract.


But what was the reason we couldn't renegotiate before?

Klomp wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Overall deal. I'm thinking 4/48-ish. The vibe I get is that Pekovic is happy here and will take a deal if he thinks it is fair.

Something to keep in mind: Pekovic shares the same agent as Al Jefferson, who reportedly took less when he signed his Minnesota extension for 4/50.


I think that bodes well, no?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 7,047
And1: 133
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul
Top

Post#48 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 am by Klomp

[RCG] wrote:But what was the reason we couldn't renegotiate before?


Something to do with the fact that it was a three-year deal (so we may be in similar situation with Shved down the road)

[RCG] wrote:I think that bodes well, no?


I think it does.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp


Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
User avatar
Posts: 33,247
And1: 749
Joined: Jul 8, 2005
Top

Post#49 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:29 am by Calinks

Hate to say it but I don't think I am willing to pay Pek a lot of money. He is a beast but I'm really starting to think he is injury prone. If we can only get him for 65 games a year and for ten of them he is battling some injury, I don't know how much money I am willing to give him. Durability is huge.
Image

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 25,808
And1: 746
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
Top

Post#50 Re: Nikola Pekovic
Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 am by Klomp

Calinks wrote:Hate to say it but I don't think I am willing to pay Pek a lot of money. He is a beast but I'm really starting to think he is injury prone. If we can only get him for 65 games a year and for ten of them he is battling some injury, I don't know how much money I am willing to give him. Durability is huge.

Honestly, I wonder if he plays too much. I think he'd be best in a 20 mpg role off the bench. His physical style seems to do him more harm than good.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp


Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
User avatar
Posts: 33,247
And1: 749
Joined: Jul 8, 2005
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: packforfreedom