ImageImageImage

MIN -WAS - ???

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,404

MIN -WAS - ??? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:45 pm

MIN GETS: ???? (Redick? Dudley? .. who?)
WAS GETS: Williams
THIRD TEAM GETS: Jordan Crawford + Seraphin + Veseley

Thank you for the responses to yesterday's two-way deal. What I gathered is that while I don't think this is a bad offer for MIN, and fills some of their positional needs, it doesn't necessarily meet the win-now direction that I believe the team has.

However, there may still be value in it. Derrick Williams is an easy player to hold extreme views on, and I wager that is as true for other teams' front office as it is for RealGM posters. If the WAS offer is fair return, maybe that return could be used in a three-way to entice a third team to trade us something we can use more.

Redick? Redick's style of play would be a perfect fit for Adelman, but it's rumored that the asking price is way too expensive .. Derrick Williams plus a MIN 1st. The rumors also suggest they really don't like Williams. Maybe the WAS pieces provide a more interesting rebuilding path? I'll also add that I personally wouldn't do the deal - Redick is a UFA after this season, and we have no guarantee that we can keep him. I wouldn't want to waste Williams on a rental, and because of that risk, in this deal I'd want to hold onto Seraphin - probably killing the deal.

Dudley? Dudley would be a nice fit, and for MIN's benefit, he has a great contract of $4.25 mil/year through 2016. While I think bringing Williams home would help their bottom-line, they are already learning the error of signing Beasley to a 3-year deal, so they have complained about the fit.

BTW, isn't it tragic that these two players, that would fit Adelman's system so well, also just happen to be the fan-favorites on their current teams? On almost any other team, those guys would be after-thoughts, eclipsed by more talented stars. Unfortunately for us, the NBA is about entertainment, and we'd have to pay a premium for either.

Who's the better alternative? It occurs to me that we need to find a player with a skill-set like Dudley or Redick on a different team, where they don't have such fan support. If we used a package like the WAS players, it'd probably be a team that needs to rebuild around a star player (or potential star player) for a super-role player/potential starter. That would get us what we needed without the price tag being more than he's worth.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Re: MIN -WAS - ??? 

Post#2 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Why don't we get Seraphin fro ourselves?

Love/DC
Pek/Seraphin

Looks good to me.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#3 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Williams for Seraphin and Webster works salary wise. Not sure if it's legal.
shrink
RealGM

Post#4 » by shrink » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:Williams for Seraphin and Webster works salary wise. Not sure if it's legal.

Webster is playing well in WAS - probably one of those "worth more to us than you" guys for them.

If we kept Seraphin, I wonder if we could help our SG problems trading Jordan Crawford and Veseley? To me, that's closer to what Redick is worth considering the reduced chances that we could keep him next year. Maybe we turn Ridnour into an expiring and late pick, but I wouldn't add more than that because of risk.

Any other targets on rebuilding teams besides Redick and Dudley out there?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#5 » by shrink » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 pm

I wonder if ORL would trade Redick if they could move Turkoglu's final $13 mil season?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b3g85ua

MIN GIVES: Williams + Roy + Steimsma
MIN GETS: Redick + Seraphin + Ariza

WAS GIVES: Seraphin + Veseley + Ariza
WAS GETS: Williams + Turkoglu

ORL GIVES: Redick + Turkoglu
ORL GETS: Vesely + Roy + Steimsma

MIN: Redick's the key, but he's an expiring UFA. Seraphin becomes our backup PF/C. MIN takes Ariza's bad contract ($7.7 mil next year), but they could get some use from him.

WAS gets their man in Williams. Turkoglu costs $5.3 mil more in cap spacethan Ariza, but they are on a two-year plan. They like Seraphin but think Vesely is a bust

ORL turns Turkoglu into expirings, and takes a shot on a bust lottery pick.

I don't know how I feel about it. It sounds like WAS posters really want to get Williams if it doesn't cost them Wall, Beal or their pick. Still this seems expensive to me, but if they think Veseley is a bust (most Wiz fans think so), then it's just Seraphin + $5 mil in 2013 payroll for Williams.

I also don't think an expiring Redick has the value to move a $13 mil contract, but many around here (and more importantly - in ORL) seem to place his value that way. Maybe cut ORL's savings to $5 mil next year, sending Turkoglu for Ariza - at least he is more useful too.
popper
Veteran
And1: 365

Post#6 » by popper » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Wiz Fan Here - I'd like Williams for some combination of Seraphin, Ariza, Vesely, Singleton, Webster, Crawford (not all of course but some combination of two for instance). Unless you guys are over-valuing Williams by a lot then I see no reason a trade couldn't be worked out. I hope our GM is talking to your GM.

Reddick is going to be a pure rental for whoever gets him which should drive down his value significantly.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#7 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:55 pm

popper wrote:Wiz Fan Here - I'd like Williams for some combination of Seraphin, Ariza, Vesely, Singleton, Webster, Crawford (not all of course but some combination of two for instance). Unless you guys are over-valuing Williams by a lot then I see no reason a trade couldn't be worked out. I hope our GM is talking to your GM.

Reddick is going to be a pure rental for whoever gets him which should drive down his value significantly.

Yep, Seraphin and Webster package looks great to me. Seraphin give us a big that can play both positions and will be able to find minutes even when Love is back. Webster is a perfect short term patch on the wings since he plays both 2 & 3, plus he's familiar with the team.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves