yardbarker

I have an Idea

Moderators: Basti, Klomp, C.lupus

Post#31 Re: I have an Idea
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 pm by [RCG]

Basti wrote:
[RCG] wrote:I'm thinking the Magic, Suns or SuperSonics win this year.

Not gonna lie, if the Magic will get the #1 pick I'd be super freaking furious. I'd still don't think the draft is rigged but how lucky could one franchise be in terms of lottery luck if that were to happen.

What makes you think the Suns would win it? Just because they lost Nash?

Nash, yeah. Plus they could use an infusion of young talent more of just a gut feeling though. They don't really have a centerpiece on that team.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 134

Post#32 Re: I have an Idea
Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 pm by Mattya

It has to be between the Sonics and Magic. Way to much coincidence in the draft for it not to be rigged.
Mattya

Head Coach
And1: 790

Post#33 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 am by Klomp

Basti wrote:Not gonna lie, if the Magic will get the #1 pick I'd be super freaking furious. I'd still don't think the draft is rigged but how lucky could one franchise be in terms of lottery luck if that were to happen.

On the bright side, there's not a O'Neal/Howard this year if they do win it. :D
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 1,559

Post#34 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:50 am by Klomp

[RCG] wrote:Nash, yeah. Plus they could use an infusion of young talent more of just a gut feeling though. They don't really have a centerpiece on that team.

Dejavu?

Suns also own LAL's unprotected first, which is currently tied for the 10th pick. Somewhat like two years ago, when the Cavs owned the Clippers unprotected 1st, which was the 8th best odds, but ended up being the winner.
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 1,559

Post#35 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 am by [RCG]

Klomp wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Nash, yeah. Plus they could use an infusion of young talent more of just a gut feeling though. They don't really have a centerpiece on that team.

Dejavu?

Suns also own LAL's unprotected first, which is currently tied for the 10th pick. Somewhat like two years ago, when the Cavs owned the Clippers unprotected 1st, which was the 8th best odds, but ended up being the winner.

Ruh roh.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#36 Lottery
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 am by shrink

The questions that I think Stern and the owners would ask are:

1. If the top draft pick likely to be a Grade A superstar?
2. Does the top draft pick have local connections with any struggling franchise?
3. Did a team lose a superstar so that the fans have reason to abandon the team?
4. Is there a struggling franchise that an owner wants to sell?

If the Maloofs hadn't sold their team, I'd have guessed it would be SAC. SEA probably doesn't need a 1st to get fans to see the team though, but it's a possibility.

Suns are a great guess. I'll go with that.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 196

Post#37 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:45 am by Dewey

The lottery is rigged - zero doubt. Until they choose W-L record as the determining factor, it will always lower the credibility of the NBA.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Dewey
Analyst
And1: 65

Post#38 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 am by Worm Guts

It's not rigged, it would just be too big of a risk and there would need to be too many people involved. It would leak and there would be huge repercussions. I don't think there's a lot to be gained by doing it, and I don't think owners would take kindly to franchise changing players being handed out on the whims of David Stern.
Worm Guts

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 576

Post#39 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:45 am by C.lupus

The lottery is overly complicated but it is not rigged.
C.lupus

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 3,684

Post#40 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 am by [RCG]

Until we win, it's rigged :wink:
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#41 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 am by Dewey

[RCG] wrote:Until we win, it's rigged :wink:

AMEN
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Dewey
Analyst
And1: 65

Post#42 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:42 am by Devilzsidewalk

definitely rigged, probably via an elaborate Rube Goldberg contraption
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 1,374

Post#43 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 pm by Basti

Dewey wrote:The lottery is rigged - zero doubt. Until they choose W-L record as the determining factor, it will always lower the credibility of the NBA.

How about you address some of the points I made about this subject earlier in this thread than just simply making a claim that is based on hearsay (to me) and some luck.
Basti

Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 1,436

Post#44 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:12 pm by Jukeness

I say the coincidences are way too much for me to not think it's rigged.

Washington gets #1 pick, had like a 3% chance of getting it.

Cleaveland gets #1 pick, because they lost Lebron.

Then NO gets it because they lost Paul.

I have predicted the last 3, it's too rediculous for me. I would say either the Sonics or Orlando this year, but that seems too obvious if it is rigged.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 314

Post#45 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm by [RCG]

New Orleans is also because Stern vetoed their original trade.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#46 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:18 pm by Basti

People like to forget that even having the worst record and the highest lottery odds means nothing more than one hit in four tries, statistically speaking. Obviously, the lesser ping pong balls you have the lower your chances but the difference between the highest odds (25%) and the fourth highest odds (roughly 14%) isn't THAT big.

Also, while I have yet to fully grasp how it works as soon as a team with rather low odds (say six or seventh highest odds) moves up the whole order gets messed up anyway. I'd really like to know why teams who were supposed to pick at six or seven move up into the top three automatically whenever they weren't picked at their expected slot.
Basti

Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 1,436

Post#47 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:58 pm by Worm Guts

They only choose the first 3 picks, after that it goes by record.
Worm Guts

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 576

Post#48 Re: I have an Idea
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 pm by Grits n Gravy

Worm Guts wrote:They only choose the first 3 picks, after that it goes by record.

yep. i think they have a great big chart with one thousand numbers, each team is assigned a different amount of those based on their standing and chance. e.g number one team gets 250 random numbers. 4 ping pongs are drawn to establish a number 3 times and the 3 teams are selected from there.
Grits n Gravy

Head Coach
And1: 245

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves