Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,958

MIN - UTA (Ridnour for late 1st) 

Post#1 » by shrink » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm

MIN GETS: Raja Bell + 2013 GSW 1st
UTA GETS: Ridnour

The GSW 1st is currently #24, and I suppose we could alternatively ask for the UTA 1st, Top 20 protected, but they are currently at #17. MIN does this if we decide we should be rebuilding, and may believe that the pick is an easier asset to trade for talent next year. Maybe Raja Bell would play for the Wolves, and we could certainly use anyone to pick up some SG minutes.

UTA is #7 in the West right now. Their short-term goal is to make the play-offs, but Mo Williams is out until at least March with a torn ligament in his thumb, and they've been getting by with Jamaal Tinsley, Earl Watson and even Alec Burks some time. Our boy Randy Foye completes their guard rotation, so Ridnour would get plenty of minutes and probably keep them in the play-offs. UTA's biggest target this summer will be to add a young starting PG, and while Ridnour cuts into their cap space, they have plenty and he can easily slide into the back-up/mentor role. Mo Williams, Tinsley, Watson and Foye are all expirings. The Jazz can't reach a buy-out with Raja Bell, so they are paying him and he's not with the team - and the Jazz hate wasting money.

(If you don't like the pick, I'm flexible on the value piece we receive from the Jazz. UTA should certainly find great value in Ridnour right now, and even more by dumping Raja Bell.)
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Re: MIN - UTA (Ridnour for late 1st) 

Post#2 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 pm

We need Luke right now. We can't afford to bring another guy who doesn't know the plays and the system and lose a guy who does, not in these tough times.
shrink
RealGM

Post#3 » by shrink » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:18 pm

I guess it comes down to whether we're still trying to win. Before last night, I'd have said we'd lose with or without Ridnour.

I want to look longterm, but I suppose we still need to give fans some semblance of an NBA product. Let's say we don't offer the deal until Shveddy is back.

Do you think the value is fair?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#4 » by [RCG] » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:48 pm

We could ask for better of Utah and GSW 1st. I would definitely do it.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#5 » by C.lupus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:20 pm

No from me. I know guys on this board don't like Luke but Love does and Ricky does and Adelman does. He's too valuable to the team right now to just throw away for a late pick in a poor draft.
shrink
RealGM

Post#6 » by shrink » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 pm

What do we think about Burks these days?
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Post#7 » by JazzUte88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Utah fan here, it's not a terrible offer, however I don't think Ridnour is really worth it at this point. Tinsley is serivceable enough right now.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#8 » by LordBaldric » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:11 pm

You realize that you aren't the actual GM of the T-Wolves and aren't authorized to make trades, right?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#9 » by Klomp » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:25 pm

C.lupus wrote:No from me. I know guys on this board don't like Luke but Love does and Ricky does and Adelman does. He's too valuable to the team right now to just throw away for a late pick in a poor draft.

Nailed it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#10 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 pm

LordBaldric wrote:You realize that you aren't the actual GM of the T-Wolves and aren't authorized to make trades, right?

How can you be so sure?
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#11 » by NikolaPekovic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 pm

I dont think we can make any trades at all until the season is over.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#12 » by karch34 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 am

shrink wrote:What do we think about Burks these days?

I still think he's got good upside. Definitely the kind of player I'd be interested in based on age and position.
Fido
Veteran
And1: 35

Post#13 » by Fido » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:18 pm

As an update from the Jazz, Earl Watson is now out with a stress fracture in his tibia and bone bruising in his fibula. He joins Mo Williams behind the bench in a suit. So the Jazz have Jamaal Tinsley, Alec Burks, and Randy Foye handling the point.

Is there a PG that the Timberwolves would consider moving in a deal? How many of the 4 PGs are healthy currently? Just trying to get a sense of if anything would be possible or not and I haven't been following closely enough to know.

Thanks!

PS: The lead Jazz scout was spotted at the MIN-NOH game the other night. Not that that means anything in particular. :lol:
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#14 » by Krapinsky » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:43 pm

We're 18 and 27 so hard to see how Luke is too valuable to move at this point, let alone any player other than Rubio/Love. We have three point guards and Luke is the least valuable of the three. I think we'd eventually move him just to move his salary next year, so the Jazz can gladly have him for an expiring and a late first. If the expiring is a guard even better.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Figjamjr
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#15 » by Figjamjr » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:54 pm

Krapinsky wrote:We're 18 and 27 so hard to see how Luke is too valuable to move at this point, let alone any player other than Rubio/Love. We have three point guards and Luke is the least valuable of the three. I think we'd eventually move him just to move his salary next year, so the Jazz can gladly have him for an expiring and a late first. If the expiring is a guard even better.

This :roll:
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#16 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Feb 5, 2013 10:01 pm

Krapinsky wrote:We're 18 and 27 so hard to see how Luke is too valuable to move at this point, let alone any player other than Rubio/Love. We have three point guards and Luke is the least valuable of the three. I think we'd eventually move him just to move his salary next year, so the Jazz can gladly have him for an expiring and a late first. If the expiring is a guard even better.

Yep, I just don't get the Ridnour love. He's not that good or attractive to other teams, plus is a negative on defense for us.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#17 » by Krapinsky » Tue Feb 5, 2013 10:14 pm

Figjamjr wrote:

This :roll:

Care to elaborate?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Gideon
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#18 » by Gideon » Tue Feb 5, 2013 11:03 pm

I would much rather keep Luke and move Barea... I feel like Luke plays within the system much better, and he and Rubio actually work together quite well at times.

I'd actually like to see us keep Luke long-term as a really good back up who spells Rubio for 12-15 mpg and plays another handful of minutes next to him some nights depending on matchups. Luke is a good ballhandler and outside shooter (on a team that needs guys who can stick open shots), and he also seems like a really solid high-iq system guy who 100% buys into what Adelman wants. I don't get all the negativity about him sometimes. I mean, I don't want to start the guy long-term (or even play him more than like 20 mpg), but I think he's a really good guy to have on the roster.

Barea, on the other hand, has a worse contract than Luke and often plays as if he is determined to be a star at the expense of the team... I get so frustrated watching him ignore open guys, dribble the ball for the most of the clock, be determined to find his own shot when it's not the smart play, and so on. My guess is both guys have similar value (probably Luke is more valuable to teams that need a traditional PG and Barea is more valuable to teams that need a scoring spark), so why not move Barea, and keep Luke?
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#19 » by Wolf_Cry » Wed Feb 6, 2013 12:27 am

I would say yes....if the Wolves actually were willing to pick someone instead of trading it for cash consideration. Or if we had a better scouting department.

I like Luke as a person. He's a nice guy. Plays hard. Tries his best. He also likes MN, which is a bonus. But I don't think he's worth his salary atm.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#20 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 6, 2013 12:40 am

Krapinsky wrote:We're 18 and 27 so hard to see how Luke is too valuable to move at this point, let alone any player other than Rubio/Love.

Well, probably because he's one of the guys who is actually HEALTHY...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves