ImageImageImage

MIN - UTA (Ridnour for late 1st)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Re: MIN - UTA (Ridnour for late 1st) 

Post#21 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Feb 6, 2013 1:09 am

I'd rather move Barea. A bigger contract and a bit less worthy than Luke if you ask me.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#22 » by shangrila » Wed Feb 6, 2013 2:37 am

If I had to pick one it would be Barea, but at this point we're kind of arguing who sucks less rather than who's better.

Barea plays hero ball. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it does he can be good, even great. When it doesn't he's useless. More often than not, it doesn't. Ridnour shoots. That's it. His ability to run an offence is limited, his defence is horrific. If his shot isn't falling he's a liability on the floor.

The team needs to move one at some point and the trade deadline is as good a time as any, considering this season is in the toilet. Personally I'd move both, but I doubt the FO or coaching staff shares my view.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#23 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:16 am

I haven't figured it out much yet, but a cursory look at BR's new multiplayer feature seems to show we want Barea on the floor

www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/lineup_finder.cgi?
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#24 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:27 am

Barea is the better fit with Rubio since he is more of a scorer...where look is pretty much just a shooter he gets worse once he dribbles.

I'd rather move Ridnour for sure.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#25 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:30 am

moss_is_1 wrote:Barea is the better fit with Rubio since he is more of a scorer...where look is pretty much just a shooter he gets worse once he dribbles.

I'd rather move Ridnour for sure.

and luke is shooting 32% from three - makes him almost unplayable in my book, but he's built up equity with Adelman I guess
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#26 » by Jukeness » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:39 am

Roy and Ridnour for Foye!!!
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#27 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Feb 6, 2013 1:41 pm

Luke has some good value, but I don't know that I want any picks in this draft, much rather have a future pick from a team, then again if this is the best that can be done, I could look at doing it with the hopes of come draft time being able to move up one or two spots, or a player we want drops to us, or converting it to seconds where we can stash talent overseas.
champalift
Junior
And1: 12

Post#28 » by champalift » Wed Feb 6, 2013 2:14 pm

In terms of Luke vs. JJ, I am curious who has stronger trade value nationally?
My gut tells me that people remember JJ from his Maverick days and that bumps up his value compared to Luke.
Personally, I would much prefer to keep Luke, but I would move whichever can bring in more.

Also, based on happenings from last year, if we are in the keep-Kevin-Love-happy mode, I think we move JJ before Luke for sure. I remember Kevin and JJ (and also Kevin's brother chiming in, who is this guy??) getting into beef last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IgC4j51ULM
Also, I remember a post game interview where Kevin said he enjoys playing with Luke and hopes they play together for a long time to come.
Who knows if any of that matters. At the end of the day, it is all about the value we can get in return between Luke and JJ. I bet (and hope) we move one for sure. Clear 4-5mil at the very least. Perhaps a package of JJ/Luke, D-WIll, and Roy's contract pulls in something? I guess we will see within two weeks!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#29 » by shrink » Wed Feb 6, 2013 2:40 pm

Fido wrote:As an update from the Jazz, Earl Watson is now out with a stress fracture in his tibia and bone bruising in his fibula. He joins Mo Williams behind the bench in a suit. So the Jazz have Jamaal Tinsley, Alec Burks, and Randy Foye handling the point.

Is there a PG that the Timberwolves would consider moving in a deal? How many of the 4 PGs are healthy currently? Just trying to get a sense of if anything would be possible or not and I haven't been following closely enough to know.

Thanks!

PS: The lead Jazz scout was spotted at the MIN-NOH game the other night. Not that that means anything in particular. :lol:

Thanks for posting Fido! One of my favorite parts of RealGM is that fans of 30 teams all get to share their local information. I heard about Watson, but didn't know about the scout, so I appreciate the head's up.

Right now, the UTA pick is at 19, and the GSW pick is 23. I'd take either in a deal like this:

UTA GETS: Ridnour or Barea + Amundsen
MIN GETS: Pick (UTA Top 20 protected or GSW) + Raja Bell + Kevin Murphy

Now, Kahn may not want to do this if the team still has any hope of nabbing that 8th play-off spot. If not, they get more cap space, and I think the pick would be a better trade-asset next year to add talent. The Amundsen-for-Murphy swap may make sense, since Ridnour can play some SG for the Jazz, and MIN needs to waive a player in the next couple days - Murphy would save Taylor about $200,000, assuming his second year is unguaranteed.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#30 » by shrink » Wed Feb 6, 2013 2:44 pm

champalift wrote:In terms of Luke vs. JJ, I am curious who has stronger trade value nationally?
My gut tells me that people remember JJ from his Maverick days and that bumps up his value compared to Luke.
Personally, I would much prefer to keep Luke, but I would move whichever can bring in more.

Also, based on happenings from last year, if we are in the keep-Kevin-Love-happy mode, I think we move JJ before Luke for sure. I remember Kevin and JJ (and also Kevin's brother chiming in, who is this guy??) getting into beef last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IgC4j51ULM
Also, I remember a post game interview where Kevin said he enjoys playing with Luke and hopes they play together for a long time to come.
Who knows if any of that matters. At the end of the day, it is all about the value we can get in return between Luke and JJ. I bet (and hope) we move one for sure. Clear 4-5mil at the very least. Perhaps a package of JJ/Luke, D-WIll, and Roy's contract pulls in something? I guess we will see within two weeks!

Good post champalift. I think that the front office will weigh Kevin Love's opinions into all their moves for the next 13 months, whether we like it or not, and I tend to forget the specific fights, so I'm glad you brought them up. I think though if Barea leads to wins, Love will be more forgiving, but he's not going to be a fan of hero-ball.

As for which player has more value around the league, I think it really depends on the team. I think they both have similar overall trade value (worth a little more than their contract), but they have two very-different games. I also think teams keep a very close eye on their cap space, so Ridnour's 2-year deal may align better with some teams than JJ's 3-year contract. I try to look at it on a case-by-case basis.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#31 » by shrink » Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:51 pm

With two weeks to go until the trade deadline, the Timberwolves are exploring possible deals involving Luke Ridnour, reports Chris Sheridan of Sheridan Hoops. According to Sheridan, there's a "good chance" that Ridnour will be dealt before the deadline.

The Timberwolves engaged in trade discussions with the Jazz in a deal involving Alec Burks, but those talks have been tabled for now, according to Sheridan. Nonetheless, Utah is in the market for a point guard, so it's possible the two sides revisit those negotiations before February 21st.
shrink
RealGM

Post#32 » by shrink » Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:54 pm

shrink wrote:What do we think about Burks these days?
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#33 » by NikolaPekovic » Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:09 pm

shrink wrote:
shrink wrote:What do we think about Burks these days?

Ive heard he cant shoot
shrink
RealGM

Post#34 » by shrink » Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:23 pm

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson
Re: Sheridan's Ridnour report - told Utah has given some sort of assurance to A. Burks that he's not going anywhere, at least not for Luke.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#35 » by The J Rocka » Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:38 pm

Not surprised about Burks. It's probably Bell + pick.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves