ImageImageImage

All-Star Weekend

Moderators: Basti, Klomp, C.lupus

User avatar
C.lupus
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 26,108
And1: 5,293
Joined: Nov 02, 2007
Location: Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
   

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#161 » by C.lupus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:38 pm

I personally don't care if names like Lebron are in the dunk contest or not. What turns me off is the 50 failed attempts. The format needs major changes. Cut down on the time/number of attempts and dock a point for every miss.
Image
kmgarnett21
Analyst
Posts: 3,423
And1: 219
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
     

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#162 » by kmgarnett21 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm

C.lupus wrote:I personally don't care if names like Lebron are in the dunk contest or not. What turns me off is the 50 failed attempts. The format needs major changes. Cut down on the time/number of attempts and dock a point for every miss.


This. the worst part about it is a player trying and missing the same dunk 11 times. Then when they finally do make it, by then it's lost all of its wow factor. I hate it when a player misses a dunk several times, then waves his arms up and tries to get the crowd back in it.

Also, I hate the show before the dunk. Just get the ball and do your thing. Don't make it a whole dramatic ordeal.


Hopefully someone comes up with some more new stuff instead of just jumping over people or objects. Get creative in your dunking. Do stuff while you're in the air.
User avatar
Wolf_Cry
Starter
Posts: 2,170
And1: 885
Joined: Jan 30, 2013

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#163 » by Wolf_Cry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:22 pm

7 things I would do to improve the dunk contest.

1. Switch back from being timed to having 2 attempts

2. Ban Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley from commentating.

3. Limited to 1 prop the entire show per player, props cannot contain more than 2 items.

4. Cut the f'n text for the winner crap. Most audiences don't know shat about the qualities of a good dunk vs. average dunk.

5. Actually just cut the audience attendance out altogether. I'm very serious on this one. What is the point of showing up to watch these guys dunk if you're just going to hate? What is the point if you're not going to cheer? The only ones who can attend are NBA players. They at least show respect and some interest.

6. GET REAL JUDGES!!!!!!!! Judges who actually score on all aspect of the dunk from creativity to air time to degree of difficulty to attempts to power, etc. Not these former players or celebrities who only care about the glamor of the dunks.

7. And my personal favorite if they ever do allow it..................PUT WAGES ON THE LINE. Yup, every participant must wage $40,000, winner takes all.
User avatar
Jukeness
Analyst
Posts: 3,333
And1: 326
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
Location: West Saint Paul, MN

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#164 » by Jukeness » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:39 pm

How about get actual good players back in the dunk contest instead of guys that some people dont even know.
User avatar
Wolf_Cry
Starter
Posts: 2,170
And1: 885
Joined: Jan 30, 2013

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#165 » by Wolf_Cry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Jukeness wrote:How about get actual good players back in the dunk contest instead of guys that some people dont even know.


Force them to participate? I won't go to that extreme, but I'll say if you are the champion you MUST defend your title.
User avatar
TMo519
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,272
And1: 25
Joined: Jun 10, 2008
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#166 » by TMo519 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 pm

C.lupus wrote:I personally don't care if names like Lebron are in the dunk contest or not. What turns me off is the 50 failed attempts. The format needs major changes. Cut down on the time/number of attempts and dock a point for every miss.


No, I get that, and I agree. But I'm talking about the people who watch a simple LeBron dunk and try to pretend like it was WAY better than what was seen Saturday night. The sucky part about this year's is we had some guys who were legitimate dunkers in the contest, but they were derailed trying to do crazy stuff (though James White was a victim of age/nerves IMO, cause dude's done his dunks a billion times before), rather than just showing out with great dunks that they're fully capable of. I don't know what Gerald Green was trying to do lol.

The contestants should put an emphais on having "makeable" back-up dunks in case their main ones fail. Cause watching a guy fail that many times and not have another one they can at least go to for decent points is sad and awkward. After about 3 misses, you really lose punch anyway.
User avatar
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
Posts: 27,196
And1: 2,477
Joined: Oct 09, 2005

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#167 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:23 pm

2 words for ye: dunk line.

Guys keep lining up and throwing down dunks like before a game. Make or miss, you move out when you're done cuz the next guy is coming, wouldn't be time for all the frivolities and props, you'd get to see more dunks, and it'd reduce the "all eyes on me" nervousness.

There's too much anticlimactic downtime with lame dunks and misses. Get guys in a dunk line and a miss or lame dunk becomes insignificant because there's flow.
Image
User avatar
Wolf_Cry
Starter
Posts: 2,170
And1: 885
Joined: Jan 30, 2013

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#168 » by Wolf_Cry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 am

TMo519 wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I personally don't care if names like Lebron are in the dunk contest or not. What turns me off is the 50 failed attempts. The format needs major changes. Cut down on the time/number of attempts and dock a point for every miss.


No, I get that, and I agree. But I'm talking about the people who watch a simple LeBron dunk and try to pretend like it was WAY better than what was seen Saturday night. The sucky part about this year's is we had some guys who were legitimate dunkers in the contest, but they were derailed trying to do crazy stuff (though James White was a victim of age/nerves IMO, cause dude's done his dunks a billion times before), rather than just showing out with great dunks that they're fully capable of. I don't know what Gerald Green was trying to do lol.

The contestants should put an emphais on having "makeable" back-up dunks in case their main ones fail. Cause watching a guy fail that many times and not have another one they can at least go to for decent points is sad and awkward. After about 3 misses, you really lose punch anyway.


I think one thing LeBron had, as well as Dwight Howard and Blake Griffin that a lot of these youngers don't show in the dunk contest is POWER. It's awesome to see them do crazy stuff in the air, but I wish they'd put it down with more authori-taay.
User avatar
karch34
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,064
And1: 148
Joined: Jul 05, 2001
Location: Valley of the Sun
     

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#169 » by karch34 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 am

Wolf_Cry wrote:7 things I would do to improve the dunk contest.

1. Switch back from being timed to having 2 attempts

2. Ban Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley from commentating.

3. Limited to 1 prop the entire show per player, props cannot contain more than 2 items.

4. Cut the f'n text for the winner crap. Most audiences don't know shat about the qualities of a good dunk vs. average dunk.

5. Actually just cut the audience attendance out altogether. I'm very serious on this one. What is the point of showing up to watch these guys dunk if you're just going to hate? What is the point if you're not going to cheer? The only ones who can attend are NBA players. They at least show respect and some interest.

6. GET REAL JUDGES!!!!!!!! Judges who actually score on all aspect of the dunk from creativity to air time to degree of difficulty to attempts to power, etc. Not these former players or celebrities who only care about the glamor of the dunks.

7. And my personal favorite if they ever do allow it..................PUT WAGES ON THE LINE. Yup, every participant must wage $40,000, winner takes all.


Love it! I'd be thrilled if they just did #1
Tirion
Analyst
Posts: 3,309
And1: 130
Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Location: made it, ma! top of the world!

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#170 » by Tirion » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:56 am

There is a finite number of ways you can put ball in the hoop without it leaving your hand and players have exhausted them at this point. Gimmicks/props are the only way to go really, if you want to keep this alive (which I don't).
User avatar
Basti
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 34,832
And1: 1,609
Joined: Sep 07, 2005
Location: Æ har en ståkukk!
 

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#171 » by Basti » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:05 pm

I couldn't care less about the dunk contest anymore at this point. Why? Because, as Tirion said it well, there's a finite number of ways to dunk a basketball without using props and all that. We've probably seen all kinds of dunks at this point. All the contestants can do are slight variations but eventually they'll repeat them again.

One thing I'd love to see in an NBA dunk contest would be something similar to this



But that's not gonna happen in America, I assume.
User avatar
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
Posts: 27,196
And1: 2,477
Joined: Oct 09, 2005

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#172 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Basti wrote:I couldn't care less about the dunk contest anymore at this point. Why? Because, as Tirion said it well, there's a finite number of ways to dunk a basketball without using props and all that. We've probably seen all kinds of dunks at this point. All the contestants can do are slight variations but eventually they'll repeat them again.

One thing I'd love to see in an NBA dunk contest would be something similar to this



But that's not gonna happen in America, I assume.


where's that gheybrowz smilie at...
Image
User avatar
Basti
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 34,832
And1: 1,609
Joined: Sep 07, 2005
Location: Æ har en ståkukk!
 

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#173 » by Basti » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:50 am

It's right here

:eyebrows:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves