ImageImageImage

Ridnour "being shopped"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Re: Ridnour "being shopped" 

Post#121 » by shrink » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 pm

I posted this on the UTA thread, but I may have talked myself out of it!

UTA GETS: Ridnour
MIN GETS: Raja Bell + worse of UTA or GSW picks

shrink wrote:I think Burks is out of the question, but the lesser of the UTA or GSW pick + Raja Bell makes sense to me.

First, moving Raja Bell has value to the Jazz. Money matters in UTA (something I admire about your front office), and paying Raja Bell to sit on his couch and eat doughnuts has to be frustrating to your GM. Since he won't accept a buy-out, he gets the full, pro-rated amount of the remaining contract (about $1.8 mil). In addition, Raja Bell takes up a roster spot on your club, that limits your trade moves, and limits your coach's ability to be flexible.

Second, Luke Ridnour is not a starter, but he's a pretty good back-up PG, and he has plenty of experience starting. He's not going to win games for you as a PG, but he's not going to lose them either. He contributes enough offensively and by making vet decisions to help your other four guys win games. Personally, I do not think UTA is a lock to make the play-offs, counting on inexperienced or under-talented players to guide the team down the stretch run. If Ridnour increases your chances to make the play-offs this year, that has value.

The best part about Luke in UTA though is that he's a good fit next year, for three reasons. Obviously, the goal of the Jazz is to get a star PG, and Ridnour is not that. However, he is very professional about sliding back into the back-up spot when you get that guy. Moreover, his contract is a perfect fit - cheaper than what he's worth ($4.2), and it expires after one year, to provide an orderly transition, particularly if your new starting PG is young. Luke is a professional, and mentoring Rubio was one of the main reasons he was brought to MIN.

Finally, I think the price is very reasonable for UTA too. We're looking at a pick that will probably end up around 22. While, there are exceptions, in this range a team hopes for a back-up that can be a rotation player, and many times those guys never even become that - simply a 2-year guaranteed salary. Here are the last ten players selected with the #20 pick:

Kareem Rush
Dahntay Jones
Jameer Nelson
Julius Hodge
Renaldo Balkman
Jason Smith
Alexis Ajinca
Eric Maynor
James Anderson
Donatas Motiejunas
Evan Fournier

.. and next year's draft is predicted to be weaker than average.

This, you move Bell's salary and reclaim his roster spot, replacing him with a player that can help the Jazz seems like a good deal to me.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#122 » by shrink » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:43 pm

shrink wrote:Nothing original here except each team's needs are greater now.

MIN GETS: Courtney Lee + Fab Melo

BOS GETS: Luke Ridnour + Steimsma (exp)

WHY FOR MIN? Ridnour is a pretty good back-up PG on a fair contract, but MIN already has a second one of those in Barea. Rubio has looked better and better this week, and his minutes are going to go up, which is why we're hearing rumors that Ridnour is being shopped. Steimsma provides size when Pek is down, but he's back now and the Wolves gave Chris Johnson a contract for the rest of the season, and he's playing well. Both guys are available.

For the Wolves, Courtney Lee is reunited with Adelman, under whom he thrived. They continue to have a giant hole at SG, since FOUR of their SG's went down with severe knee injuries, and they are now starting Gelabale. Wolves know well that long contracts on borderline starters are worrisome (Hudson, Hassell, Gomes, Jaric) and the fourth year worries me (same rumor we hear of their front office), so they ask for a prospect because of the extra risk in that four year deal.

WHY FOR BOS? Ridnour is a vet PG that has experience filling in as a starter. With Rondo out and Barbosa too, he can provide competant PG play at a discount price. He's available right away. He also is a nice fit because next year, with Rondo back, he easily slides in as a back-up PG. He's very professional about doing whatever is best for the team, so there wouldn't be ego issues, and his contract fits in nicely -- cheap price for only 1 year, expiring with Pierce.

Steimsma returns to Boston, where he had a little popularity, and some familiarity with the system, so he can hit the ground running right away too. BOS can always use some better center play, and Steimsma would be an improvement over Fab Melo. Losing Lee hurts a bit, but they have bigger needs to address this season.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#123 » by shrink » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Looking at doogie's list, that leaves PHI and NYK.

I just posted the NYK trade. It didn't go over well - sounds like people feel Shumpert has more value than Dudley or Ridnour + 1st. I know he's got skills and can defend, but man - FG 33.8%, and 5.3 PPG in 20 minutes, from a non-lotto pick? I understand people see their team's top young player as who he may be, not who he is, but I think the NYK uniform must be amplifying him a little.

But what we got for a PHI deal?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,915

Post#124 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:51 pm

shrink wrote:But what we got for a PHI deal?

Dorrell Wright
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#125 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 pm

shrink wrote:Looking at doogie's list, that leaves PHI and NYK.

I just posted the NYK trade. It didn't go over well - sounds like people feel Shumpert has more value than Dudley or Ridnour + 1st. I know he's got skills and can defend, but man - FG 33.8%, and 5.3 PPG in 20 minutes, from a non-lotto pick? I understand people see their team's top young player as who he may be, not who he is, but I think the NYK uniform must be amplifying him a little.

But what we got for a PHI deal?

He's just 13 games back from an ACL and meniscus tear. Look at Rubio's first 13 games back.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#126 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Five years ago, in Luke Ridnour's final season in Seattle, he played with future hall of famer Kevin Durant.

While a reunion with Durant is unlikely, Ridnour could soon call another expected hall of famer a teammate: New York Knick Carmelo Anthony.

The Knicks are one of several teams with interest in the Minnesota Timberwolves guard, according to a league source.

The others to varying degrees are Boston, Philadelphia, Utah and probably a couple more.

Wherever it is, a source close to Ridnour said he's mentally preparing for a trade by Thursday afternoon's deadline.

Ridnour, who is the Wolves' only player to appear in every game this season, is the most likely Timberwolves player to be moved.

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire. ... rade021513
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#127 » by AQuintus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:08 pm

C.lupus wrote:He's just 13 games back from an ACL and meniscus tear. Look at Rubio's first 13 games back.

He wasn't very good last year either. 40.1 FG%, 30.6 3pt%, 48.4 TS%, 10.8 PER. He's a good athlete and a good defender, but the idea that he has some great value is more of a product of the New York hype machine than anything else.
shrink
RealGM

Post#128 » by shrink » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:40 pm

I totally forgot about the meniscus tear! I remember being not so impressed before - at least not as much as his hype. Thanks guys
shrink
RealGM

Post#129 » by shrink » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:10 pm

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/02/16/exclusive-shumpert-could-be-traded-despite-woodsons-support/

The New York Knicks are still open to the possibility of trading second-year guard Iman Shumpert despite coach Mike Woodson’s declaration that the player he still calls “Rook” isn’t going anywhere.
“There are major concerns (from people close to Shumpert) over how the Knicks are developing him,” a source from another team told SheridanHoops.com, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

“They feel he’s being played out of position (at small forward) and his confidence is suffering because of it. They understand the team is having success and it has to be the right deal, but they’d prefer Iman in another situation… And soon.”

After a fast start which saw them rise to the top of the Eastern Conference standings, the New York Knicks sputtered at .500 over their last 28 games. A loss to the Toronto Raptors prior to the All-Star break caused word to spread around the league that the Knicks will turn more proactive in the days leading up to the deadline.

Shumpert had a strong rookie season, showing the promise of being one of the league’s top perimeter defenders. However, since his return January 17th from major knee injury, Shumpert has clearly struggled to find that confidence on the defensive end, and has seemed out of sorts offensively at the small forward position. You’d expect such sluggishness following such a severe injury, but the concerns are less about Shumpert’s productivity than being put in the best situation to succeed.
shrink
RealGM

Post#130 » by shrink » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:22 pm

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/02/13/down-on-prigioni-knicks-seeking-backup-pg/

The New York Knicks are actively seeking to trade for a backup point guard, having lost faith in Pablo Prigioni’s ability to run the team in the event Raymond Felton gets injured again, league sources tell SheridanHoops.com.

Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld reported Wednesday that the Knicks had been in discussions with the Minnesota Timberwolves and expressed interest in Luke Ridnour, who is on the trading block — as SheridanHoops.com reported more than a week ago.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#131 » by theGreatRC » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 pm

If we could get Shumpert, i would go crazy. Rid and a first for Shump
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#132 » by Vindicater » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:11 pm

theGreatRC wrote:If we could get Shumpert, i would go crazy. Rid and a first for Shump

No.

Rid for Shump is fine.

Rid and a second is also ok.

Shump is better than Rid no doubt. But he is not a first rounder better.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#133 » by NikolaPekovic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:17 am

shump could be that token starter at the 2. We would surely have to devolop him a bit to get his shooting right. but this is a very good scenario.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#134 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 am

If Kahn can pull off something around Ridnour for Shumpert, then he's on his way to getting our backcourt on track. Rubio/Shumpert is not offensively inspiring, but the defense :o

steal % rankings last year of players that played over a 1000 minutes:

1. CP3
2. Tony Allen
3. Mike Conley Jr.
4. Ricky Rubio
5. Iman Shumpert
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:34 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:If Kahn can pull off something around Ridnour for Shumpert,

I don't think it can be pulled off. I think Derrick would be involved in any Shumpert deal. I don't see that happening.

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#136 » by The J Rocka » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:37 am

Despite the need for a backup PG in NY, Dudley (rumored to be moved for Iman) is far better value. I think the Knicks will try to get our MEM pick attached to Ridnour. I think the way we moved 18 for Budinger, we wouldn't hesitate to move that pick for a piece to help us now.

Maybe a 3-way:

NY in: Ridnour + pick
NY out: Shumpert, Thomas, White

PHX in: Shumpert, Thomas, White
PHX out: Dudley

MIN in: Dudley
MIN out: Ridnour + pick
shrink
RealGM

Post#137 » by shrink » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Kind of where I ended up too.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#138 » by theGreatRC » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Shump would really help us out. Rubio and Shump defensively would be beautiful to watch. Our problem isn't scoring. With Love back, it opens options for Pek and Ak. We're missing a 23ppg payer on our squad...that hurts. We're a defensive 2 away from being legit.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#139 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:06 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Shump would really help us out. Rubio and Shump defensively would be beautiful to watch. Our problem isn't scoring. With Love back, it opens options for Pek and Ak. We're missing a 23ppg payer on our squad...that hurts. We're a defensive 2 away from being legit.

And I thought that our putrid shooting is letting us down, but no, it's a defender at the 2 that is the missing key to success :lol:
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#140 » by theGreatRC » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Shump would really help us out. Rubio and Shump defensively would be beautiful to watch. Our problem isn't scoring. With Love back, it opens options for Pek and Ak. We're missing a 23ppg payer on our squad...that hurts. We're a defensive 2 away from being legit.

And I thought that our putrid shooting is letting us down, but no, it's a defender at the 2 that is the missing key to success :lol:

We're missing our two best three point shooters in Love and Bud.

Love spreads the defense and gives Pek less pressure to score and just be a 2nd option.

Ridnour was getting killed by every 2 guard in the league and team's gameplans were to post Ridnour. With Shump we can play teams honest. Or any 2 guard for that matter, whether it be C. Lee or otherwise.

Injuries killed our season bruh
Dysfunctional Wolves fan

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves