Re: Ridnour "being shopped" 

Post#41 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 8, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm not sure I'd even do it with Roy.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,607

Post#42 » by shrink » Fri Feb 8, 2013 5:11 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I'm not sure I'd even do it with Roy.

Yep - I don't want DeRozan's contract.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#43 » by [RCG] » Fri Feb 8, 2013 5:19 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Ridnour and Roy for Derozan? I still don't like Derozan's contract and I doubt Toronto would be willing to give him away for so little, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I think Williams has to be included. He would be a decent 3/4 off the bench for them.

Giving up Ridnour, Roy and Williams for DeRozan is a massive overpay. DD is about to become a bad contract next year and Toronto knows it.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#44 » by The J Rocka » Fri Feb 8, 2013 5:49 pm

I'd like to see DD in a different role versus being heavily relied on. He's actually started to play better next to Gay.

I don't think Williams will ever be anything special, Ridnour is just a backup, and Roy is finished.

DD is in fact a bit overpayed but a young SG that's athletic, can get to the FT line consistently, and is more than capable of dropping +16 ppg is going to get that kind of money. With a healthy Budinger & Love, I think our team will have great spacing and Rubio is going to get DD easy looks inside & out.

OJ Mayo is the ideal player for us but realistically he's going to get more than $10 mil a season and Dallas will have the money ready.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#45 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Feb 8, 2013 6:33 pm

Luke is a solid player. Barea is too hot or too cold for me. I give you, Barea is probably the primary reason for 3 or 4 wins, but on the other side of that, he's shot us out of games as well too. He goes into hero mode far too often. I know we need a player like him who can get his own shot, but Barea takes it too far. He's not a high percentage scorer by any means.

And the only two reasons he's better on defense than Luke is 1) JJ isn't asked to guard 6'7 SGs and 2) Barea gets away with those "charges" he draws.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather keep Luke. I think Rubio likes playing with Luke. If Barea would resume the role he had in Dallas, then I'd love him. But he's been a far different player up here.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#46 » by Krapinsky » Fri Feb 8, 2013 6:36 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I'm not sure I'd even do it with Roy.

C'mon, Roy's a pretty good lookin' guy.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#47 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 8, 2013 6:46 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:Luke is a solid player. Barea is too hot or too cold for me. I give you, Barea is probably the primary reason for 3 or 4 wins, but on the other side of that, he's shot us out of games as well too. He goes into hero mode far too often. I know we need a player like him who can get his own shot, but Barea takes it too far. He's not a high percentage scorer by any means.

And the only two reasons he's better on defense than Luke is 1) JJ isn't asked to guard 6'7 SGs and 2) Barea gets away with those "charges" he draws.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather keep Luke. I think Rubio likes playing with Luke. If Barea would resume the role he had in Dallas, then I'd love him. But he's been a far different player up here.

My problem is as a backup PG, Luke can't create offense though, so we'd need a wings that can create coming off the bench like Jamal Crawford or somebody and that's hard to find. With JJ, we can easily put Gelabale and Chase next to him. Thats a solid enough bench perimeter.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#48 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Feb 8, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah, but you'd have to brainwash Barea. That dude rarely looks/wants to pass when he penetrates. If he did, then I wouldn't have a problem with him. I hate him attacking 3 defenders, throwing a shot up, flailing his arms then flopping for the call. I also hate when he goes 1 on 3 in transition.

Barea CAN be that type of player, and if he would play with a PG mindset, I'd love it. But nothing I've seen from him as a T'wolf makes me think he can be a distributing backup PG.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#49 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Feb 8, 2013 7:49 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:Yeah, but you'd have to brainwash Barea. That dude rarely looks/wants to pass when he penetrates. If he did, then I wouldn't have a problem with him. I hate him attacking 3 defenders, throwing a shot up, flailing his arms then flopping for the call. I also hate when he goes 1 on 3 in transition.

Barea CAN be that type of player, and if he would play with a PG mindset, I'd love it. But nothing I've seen from him as a T'wolf makes me think he can be a distributing backup PG.

But Ridnour is not a distributing PG either. he just plain doesn't see people on the court. Maybe he sees them but he just refuses or is just afraid to make risky passes that require speed of reaction and precision.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#50 » by Wolf_Cry » Fri Feb 8, 2013 8:25 pm

The only thing Luke has on JJ is shooting. Luke is not a better defender, passer, or anything else. That said, it also doesn't mean Barea excels in any of those area to a satisfying degree. JJ needs to learn how to create more for others, not just himself.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#51 » by Vindicater » Fri Feb 8, 2013 10:03 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:Yeah, but you'd have to brainwash Barea. That dude rarely looks/wants to pass when he penetrates. If he did, then I wouldn't have a problem with him. I hate him attacking 3 defenders, throwing a shot up, flailing his arms then flopping for the call. I also hate when he goes 1 on 3 in transition.

We don't need him to be a distirbuting point guard off the bench though. With Rubio healthy he will only be playing 15 minutes a game in short bursts. Use him like he is supposed to be used, quick change of pace guard off the bench.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#52 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 8, 2013 10:13 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:

But Ridnour is not a distributing PG either. he just plain doesn't see people on the court. Maybe he sees them but he just refuses or is just afraid to make risky passes that require speed of reaction and precision.

I start getting antsy if Ridnour doesn't look to pass the ball soon as he brings the ball over half court. Ridnour never complains and he's easy to root for b/c of his hard times, but from a pure basketball standpoint, he hasn't offered the returns in any of his roles since he's been here. Maybe it's the system - Milwaukee fans seem to have fond memories of his time there - but here he's been pretty uninspiring outside of a couple hero moments.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#53 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Feb 8, 2013 10:45 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:The only thing Luke has on JJ is shooting. Luke is not a better defender, passer, or anything else. That said, it also doesn't mean Barea excels in any of those area to a satisfying degree. JJ needs to learn how to create more for others, not just himself.

Luke is only better than JJ from mid range which is his main strength. JJ is a better 3pt shooter, he takes and makes more 3s at better %s and in less minutes. JJ can get to the rim better.
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#54 » by Peezo » Sat Feb 9, 2013 12:51 am

Turnover_21 wrote:
Wolf_Cry wrote:The only thing Luke has on JJ is shooting. Luke is not a better defender, passer, or anything else. That said, it also doesn't mean Barea excels in any of those area to a satisfying degree. JJ needs to learn how to create more for others, not just himself.

Luke is only better than JJ from mid range which is his main strength. JJ is a better 3pt shooter, he takes and makes more 3s at better %s and in less minutes. JJ can get to the rim better.

I agree with these takes. Everyone here seems to agree that Luke is a nice guy and has played really hard for the Wolves. I think he has been through more losing here than anyone (maybe after Love?) so I feel bad that he will be leaving as we are hopefully on an upswing, but that is it. He is a solid rotational player and has never been a fan favorite (not disliked, but beloved like DC already is). I love the idea of trading one of two back-up PGs for anything of value. Raja Bell appears to be nearly dead, but if he can fill minutes at the 2 great. If not, then we probably get a first and an expiring. I hope for Luke's sake he gets a chance to play meaningful games somewhere.

If it happens, thanks for good years Luke!
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
champalift
Junior
And1: 12

Post#55 » by champalift » Sat Feb 9, 2013 12:53 am

Here is the way I see it.
Both bring something scoring wise. Neither are great passing points. Neither are good defenders but I think Luke gives you more position flexibility.
Luke is 4 mil for this and next year. JJ is 4.5 million for this and the next two years.

Based on salary flexibility, I would move JJ. With that said, if for some weird reason you can bring in more return wise for Luke, do it.

Other reasons I wouldn't mind seeing JJ moved... I hate seeing JJ take the ball up when he and Rubio are in the game together and JJ complains way too much IMO.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#56 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat Feb 9, 2013 12:57 am

champalift wrote:Here is the way I see it.
Both bring something scoring wise. Neither are great passing points. Neither are good defenders but I think Luke gives you more position flexibility.
Luke is 4 mil for this and next year. JJ is 4.5 million for this and the next two years.

Based on salary flexibility, I would move JJ. With that said, if for some weird reason you can bring in more return wise for Luke, do it.

Other reasons I wouldn't mind seeing JJ moved... I hate seeing JJ take the ball up when he and Rubio are in the game together and JJ complains way too much IMO.

this

kmgarnett21 wrote:Luke is a solid player. Barea is too hot or too cold for me. I give you, Barea is probably the primary reason for 3 or 4 wins, but on the other side of that, he's shot us out of games as well too. He goes into hero mode far too often. I know we need a player like him who can get his own shot, but Barea takes it too far. He's not a high percentage scorer by any means.

and this
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#57 » by Catchall » Sat Feb 9, 2013 3:18 am

Jazz fan here. I can't imagine we would trade Burks for Ridnour. Burks is holding his own playing some PG, he's hit his last 5 3-pt shots, and he can make passes that no one else on the team can make. It's too soon for us to give up on him. He's really an SG though.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#58 » by GopherIt! » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:19 am

Courtney Lee is a viable target. Luke has positive value, unless someone like Burks is coming back there's no incentive to even talk to Utah.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#59 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Feb 9, 2013 5:45 am

Jazz get Ridnour

Wolves get Redick

Magic get Barea, Bell, Warriors pick.

We upgrade to Redick and get rid of both of our midget guards, free enough capspace to afford retaining Redick in the offseason. Just imagine the 3 men backcourt rotation of Rubio, Redick and Shved. Great success :thumbsup:
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#60 » by [RCG] » Sat Feb 9, 2013 7:22 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b3plfq6

Minnesota out: Barea, Ridnour, Stiemsma
Minnesota in: Augustin, Bell, Belinelli, GSW 1st (top-6 protected), INDY 1st (top-14 protected)

-Bulls get a back-up big to Noah
-Rumored Ridnour/Utah deal
-Pacers prep for a playoff run, upgrade their PG spot/bench.

Wolves cut $11 mil off the books for next year, solve some SG woes this year and pick up 2 1sts to add some guys like Goodwin, Poythress, Gobert who may fall or package to move up (possibly for the Bobcats pick?)
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves