ImageImageImage

Call it now: Who we gettin by the trade deadline???

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Re: Call it now: Who we gettin by the trade deadline??? 

Post#341 » by [RCG] » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm

I was hoping to dump one of Barea/Ridnour for expiring/pick but outside of that there wasn't much to be done.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#342 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:07 pm

[RCG] wrote:Hopefully Redick acclimates himself to the Midwest and joins us in the offseason :D

All Redick has to do is watch a handful of Wolves games and see the amounts of open looks Rubio gets his backcourt mates.

With Love and Rubio both healthy, Redick would get all sorts of open looks. And if he doesn't get open looks, that means Love and Pek are dominating down low b/c defenders are afraid to leave Redick and help.

I've been saying since last season, Redick is the perfect fit here in Minny. And his defense is underrated. I remember in the playoffs a couple of seasons ago, he completely shut down Ray Allen.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#343 » by Foye » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm

[RCG] wrote:I was hoping to dump one of Barea/Ridnour for expiring/pick but outside of that there wasn't much to be done.

How about adressing our weak 3pt shooting? Not saying we should've made a firesale for Redick but Morrow was out there.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#344 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Foye wrote:
[RCG] wrote:I was hoping to dump one of Barea/Ridnour for expiring/pick but outside of that there wasn't much to be done.

How about adressing our weak 3pt shooting? Not saying we should've made a firesale for Redick but Morrow was out there.

Agreed. The Mavs got Morrow and only gave up Dahntay Jones, a typical journeyman. Surely we could've gotten Morrow for one of Ridnour/Barea/something else.

But like others have mentioned, I'd rather us have done nothing than done something stupid like trading away DWill for trash.
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#345 » by jfg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Good non-move by Kahn. It didn't make sense to trade unless we were able to get something amazing or expiring contracts for Ridnour or Barea. Both were unlikely. The only trades that looked good to me on the board over the past couple months were either trades that the other team wouldn't bite on or trades that involved Love which were always highly unlikely. We just didn't have the pieces needed to make us better for next year. This offseason will be interesting though if D-Will continues to play well. If he continues to prove himself as an NBA starter, something's gotta give before next season starts.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#346 » by The J Rocka » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Pretty much where I stand. Barea/Wright deal is what I was hoping for but Barea can still be moved in the future.

I don't care about this lost season. It's all about looking ahead to the off-season, which I'm certain we'll be very active.

Guys like Lee, Morrow, or Brewer were not going to be our savior. Save our assets and wait for this season to get over with so we find out where we stand in the draft and go from there.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#347 » by The J Rocka » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:19 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:
Foye wrote:

Agreed. The Mavs got Morrow and only gave up Dahntay Jones, a typical journeyman. Surely we could've gotten Morrow for one of Ridnour/Barea/something else.

But like others have mentioned, I'd rather us have done nothing than done something stupid like trading away DWill for trash.

Jones is an expiring. Seems to me like the Hawks are looking to save money for the off-season.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#348 » by Murphs56 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:
kmgarnett21 wrote:Kind of off topic, and I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I really miss Malcolm Lee. I wanted to see what he could do next to Rubio. He wasn't the best offensive option by any means obviously, but a Lee/Rubio backcourt would wreak havoc on defense.

I agree. I think Lee is underrated and hated by Wolves fan for no apparent reason. He'll be a solid SG for us for years. Not starting material, but he's solid.

His knee is shot. He's likely to be nothing for us ever again
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#349 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 pm

The J Rocka wrote:Jones is an expiring. Seems to me like the Hawks are looking to save money for the off-season.

Yea, pretty much all the moves were about money and we don't have the roster spots or expirings to be players. Morrow is a 4 mil exp, Jones 3 mil exp. Nobody wants Barea or Ridnour b/c they have multiple years and aren't that good. Williams probably got no decent offers that Kahn liked. Thomas Robinson trade showed what vague potential is worth around the league.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#350 » by Murphs56 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Calinks wrote:brewer dealt for a 2nd round pick/ we couldn't pull that

Another person on this team that can't shoot. Just what we needed
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#351 » by [RCG] » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Murphs56 wrote:

All-in for the tank!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#352 » by jfg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 pm

I don't think tanking is the right answer. It might happen naturally, but I don't think they should make an effort to tank by keeping players out or anything. We still need to persuade guys to come play here this offseason.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#353 » by Worm Guts » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Murphs56 wrote:

He's also a free agent at the end of the year . There's no reason to give up anything for someone who won't be here next year.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#354 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm

I just hope this means they're pretty damn sure pekovic is staying. If the reports are correct that there's supposedly internal scoffing at Pek being worth 12 mil, then they should have traded him.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#355 » by Tirion » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 pm

PEK is absolutely worth 12 mill in current center market:

1) Top-5 scoring center. Good volume, good efficiency, and he isn’t as dependent on others setting him up as most bigmen (offensive boards!).

2) Above average rebounder. Elite on offensive boards and always boxing out the opposing bigmen on defense.

3) Very good man defender, great pick-n-roll defender. Able to hang with guards on the perimeter, because elite footwork.

4) Doesn't provide help defense out of the C spot. Meh.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#356 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 pm

You're preaching to the choir - I'd pay 12 mil and consider it a steal. But if the Wolves are hung up on that contract and are willing to let him walk for that, then they should have insisted on trading him b/c that contract is getting offered one way or another.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#357 » by cpfsf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I just hope this means they're pretty damn sure pekovic is staying. If the reports are correct that there's supposedly internal scoffing at Pek being worth 12 mil, then they should have traded him.

"They like Mozgov," a league source said. "They think he is a better value than Pek (Nikola Pekovic). They would let Pek go in free agency (this summer). They still may pursue Mozgov in free agency."
"A team source still scoffs at the notion that Pekovic is worth $11 million/year on a long-term deal."
"Another source said there's concern Pekovic will never be able to hold up for a full season."

maybe the team is trying to lower peks value so they can sign him at a reduced cost :lol:

i should stop before i give wojnarowski any ideas. anyway, a s&t is still very possible. how much they are willing to offer will definitely depend on the draft order.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#358 » by Murphs56 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:You're preaching to the choir - I'd pay 12 mil and consider it a steal. But if the Wolves are hung up on that contract and are willing to let him walk for that, then they should have insisted on trading him b/c that contract is getting offered one way or another.

They can still do a sign and trade can't they?
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#359 » by The J Rocka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:08 am

Either keep Pek around and bring in an athletic 4 or keep Love and find an athletic shot blocking 5. Pek & Love are too much of a liability defensively and teams will continue to run on us and get easy buckets in the paint.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#360 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:09 am

Murphs56 wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:You're preaching to the choir - I'd pay 12 mil and consider it a steal. But if the Wolves are hung up on that contract and are willing to let him walk for that, then they should have insisted on trading him b/c that contract is getting offered one way or another.

They can still do a sign and trade can't they?

Sure although a team could make a big offer and just dare the Wolves to match. They don't have to offer a trade.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves