ImageImageImage

Who should start: Budinger or Brewer

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who do you want to start at the 5th position?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:28 pm

a.) Brewer
38%
b.) Budinger
49%
c.) Other
14%

Total votes: 37

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,889

Re: Who should start: Budinger or Brewer 

Post#21 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:15 am

Twolves_42 wrote: I just think we will get the most out of Chase and Corey if they arent always on the court with our stars. Dont get me wrong I like both of them, but were paying a lot and should be maximizing their potential.

I think that's backwards thinking. Playing with our stars, they will get many more chances at open looks. They may get more shots up without the stars, but they may not be as efficient since they'd likely command the opponent's top defender.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Raymond437
Junior
And1: 37

Post#22 » by Raymond437 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:56 am

DERRICK WILLIAMS !!!
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#23 » by LaViggins » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 am

Klomp wrote:
Twolves_42 wrote: I just think we will get the most out of Chase and Corey if they arent always on the court with our stars. Dont get me wrong I like both of them, but were paying a lot and should be maximizing their potential.

I think that's backwards thinking. Playing with our stars, they will get many more chances at open looks. They may get more shots up without the stars, but they may not be as efficient since they'd likely command the opponent's top defender.

But most likely the top defender would be in the starting lineup, them coming off the bench would mean them most likely playing other bench players, most of the time.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#24 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:22 am

The J Rocka wrote:Hopefully we can package Williams + Shabazz at the deadline for an upgrade at the 3. Ideally, both CBs should come off the bench.

Pek/Turiaf/Dieng
Love/Cunningham
_____/Budinger
Martin/Brewer/Shved
Rubio/Barea/Shved

How about Thad Young? Surrounded by shooting, let him play an athletic SF-hustle, rebound, dunk on break type role. He could even D up the more athletic PF, letting love play off the less athletic SF (on teams who have such lineups).

Pek/Turiaf/Dieng
Love//Young/Cunningham
Young/Budinger/Brewer
Martin/Brewer/Shved
Rubio/Barea/Shved
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#25 » by LaViggins » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:51 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:Hopefully we can package Williams + Shabazz at the deadline for an upgrade at the 3. Ideally, both CBs should come off the bench.

Pek/Turiaf/Dieng
Love/Cunningham
_____/Budinger
Martin/Brewer/Shved
Rubio/Barea/Shved

How about Thad Young? Surrounded by shooting, let him play an athletic SF-hustle, rebound, dunk on break type role. He could even D up the more athletic PF, letting love play off the less athletic SF (on teams who have such lineups).

Pek/Turiaf/Dieng
Love//Young/Cunningham
Young/Budinger/Brewer
Martin/Brewer/Shved
Rubio/Barea/Shved

I like Thad Young but really havent seen much of him, is he worth the 27.5 M over the next 3 years?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,889

Post#26 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:11 am

Thad Young would not be an upgrade. If anything, he might be a downgrade.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#27 » by Saltine » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:46 am

A good argument can be made either way. I'm wondering if Chase having played with Martin means they have chemistry as starters, or will Corey working out with Martin for years means they play well together...

Pre-season should be interesting; JJ, Chase, Shved, Derrick, Turiaf ???

I assume Adelman knows better than me :)
funfactor
Junior
And1: 76

Post#28 » by funfactor » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:49 am

Twolves_42 wrote:
funfactor wrote:Let CB starting and finish games with Chase. He is clutch.

Wow that last sentence took me a while to understand. CB = Chase Budinger/Corey Brewer guessing you meant Brewer. Well I look at it this way Dwill wont be able to show his potential unless he gets mins, start him make him play D and have Ricky throw alley oops to him because he is one of the best dunkers on our team and dunking isnt to strong in the four obvious starters. Meanwhile have Chase and Brewer come off the bench together Barea/Shved/Budinger/Brewer/Cunningham or throw in a bigger backup C if its not small ball. I just think we will get the most out of Chase and Corey if they arent always on the court with our stars. Dont get me wrong I like both of them, but were paying a lot and should be maximizing their potential.

Hahaha True, my mistake, I meant Brewer as you correctly suposed.

I'd love to see DWill developing his handle and basketball IQ enough to be our offensive weapon at the 3. And why not? he could start at SF. But the wolves sign CBrewer, that might be because Rick Adelman dont believe in that developing in the near future.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#29 » by Tirion » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:18 am

Chase is a better player than Corey and his shooting is needed to space the floor (much more so if Rubio still can't shoot next season).
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#30 » by southern wolf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Start Bud. Brewer is more suited to a bench role with his scrappy, high energy style of play, as he showed in Denver.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#31 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:36 pm

The more important question is who would get more minutes. Ideally Brewer is good for 20 minutes. But does Bud deserves 30+? The problem is both are ideally should be off the bench. Dwill might be a dark horse

And regards to trade, the only realistic SF target is Jeff Green, 27 with a friendly contract. Depends on what the Celtics wants to tank or not. D-will, Dieng for Green,maybe picks then trade Shved or Barea for backup C

Rubio/Shved or Barea/Jeffers or Brown
Martin/Bud
Green/Brewer/Hummel?
Love/Dham/CJ
Pek/(C from another trade)/Turiaf
Trust the PRosas!
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#32 » by [RCG] » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Kahn touch this wrote:The more important question is who would get more minutes. Ideally Brewer is good for 20 minutes. But does Bud deserves 30+? The problem is both are ideally should be off the bench. Dwill might be a dark horse

And regards to trade, the only realistic SF target is Jeff Green, 27 with a friendly contract. Depends on what the Celtics wants to tank or not. D-will, Dieng for Green,maybe picks then trade Shved or Barea for backup C

Martin/Bud
Green/Brewer/Hummel?
Love/Dham/CJ

I actually like a deal for Jeff Green.

D.Will + Shved (+?) for Green

Rubio/Barea/Brown
Martin/Brewer/Muhammad
Green/Budinger/Muhammad
Love/Cunningham/Green
Pekovic/Dieng/Turiaf
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#33 » by MinneOOPalis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:24 pm

I'd love green on this team.

Another guy I would target for SF is Maurice Harkless.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#34 » by Saltine » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Guys named Maurice are always stoned...
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#35 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Kahn touch this wrote:The more important question is who would get more minutes. Ideally Brewer is good for 20 minutes. But does Bud deserves 30+? The problem is both are ideally should be off the bench. Dwill might be a dark horse

Martin/Bud
Green/Brewer/Hummel?
Love/Dham/CJ

DWill and Bazz for Green and Crawford (I would even take Brooks to get Green)
Pek/Turiaf/Deng
Love/DC/Green
Green/Bud/Brewer
Martin/Crawford/Shved...if Brewer can beat Crawford or Shved for SG minutes so-be-it
Rubio/Barea/Shved
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#36 » by cpfsf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:39 pm

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#37 » by Ice32 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:22 pm

For some weird reason, I don't think Brewer signed a 3 year deal worth 14 mil to play just 20 mpg or be a 3rd string back-up....nor do I think Flip brought him here for those reasons either. I think we give these guys 20-30 games before we start discussing ideal replacements! D-Will is capable of starting at SF - its potentially his position to lose!

I believe that Chase/Brewer will split the time at SF and/or may even play mins at SG.

4th Qtr, if you need a 3PTer - Chase is on. 4th Qtr and you need a defensive stop - Brewer is on. Its pretty simple. I see both players intangible and able to play successfully along Rubio/Martin.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#38 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 am

Ice32 wrote:
4th Qtr, if you need a 3PTer - Chase is on. 4th Qtr and you need a defensive stop - Brewer is on. Its pretty simple. I see both players intangible and able to play successfully along Rubio/Martin.

It is a good point, but that only covers last couple of minutes of the game. You don't have infinite amount of timeouts. That's where the problem is - you need a guy who can both score and play D in the starting lineup, especially in the today's NBA in which SF position has the most quality.

I'd go for Bud, because he's not as bad at defense as Brewer is in offense, especially half court offense.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#39 » by [RCG] » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:42 am

If Brewer would only add some bulk he could be the perfect complement to Martin.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#40 » by guille_4 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:01 am

I agree with some of the previous comments.

They both signed considerably big contracts to play bench minutes.

IMO Shved is the odd man out (injuries aside) at this point.

I'd expect both Bud and Brewer to play at the very least 25 minutes per game each. Kevin Martin will likely play around 28-32 minutes so there's plenty of time for any of them to play at the 2 (although JJ Barea may see a few of those minutes as well, as he did last year).

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves