ImageImageImage

Dante arrested (UPDATE: all charges dropped, pg 4)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Re: Dante arrested (UPDATE: twice in four days, pg 2) 

Post#41 » by Saltine » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:02 am

Being a drunk isn't grounds for terminating his contract, just because cops arrest him, doesn't mean he's guilty. Unless the league, or a judge, says something official, they might as well wait it out. He's a free agent soon anyways.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#42 » by shangrila » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:18 am

Calinks wrote:What the hell is wrong with this guy? Thought he was a class act. Comes from a freaking military family. All they talked about was he discipline he was. This is shameful. His parents must be utterly dismayed. Wolves need to cut his ass. Seeing this and hearing more and more about Barea's antics, I'm starting to think our locker room is pretty toxic with knuckleheads. No wonder this team cant get it together on the court.

Off topic, but what's Barea been doing?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Re: Dante arrested for domestic assault 

Post#43 » by C.lupus » Mon Apr 7, 2014 1:59 pm

southern wolf wrote:
C.lupus wrote:
Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham was charged Friday with assault after being accused of choking his girlfriend during an argument.

A criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County District Court said his girlfriend told police they got into the argument early Thursday at his suburban Minneapolis home. The woman, who is not named in the complaint, told police he kicked down a locked bedroom door, grabbed her around the neck and slammed her against the wall, choking her for 15 to 20 seconds during which she could not breathe.

"Victim's eyes were watering and she felt like she was being strangled to death," the complaint alleges.
The woman told police he then dropped her, and she called 911.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId= ... esktop&wjb

Dante done effed up

If this is the case, and the team knew it, I think it's pathetic that they let him play against Orlando.

this probably explains why:
The Timberwolves cannot deactivate Cunningham because that could be viewed as a form of discipline and could cause the NBA Players' Association to file a grievance. Whether he actually plays in the game or not is up to coach Rick Adelman's discretion.

They can't really do anything until the legal process has run its course. Adelman didn't have much choice, either, with Love sitting out. I don't think anyone is ready for 48 minutes of Hummel at PF.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,916

Post#44 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:29 pm

Saltine wrote:Being a drunk isn't grounds for terminating his contract, just because cops arrest him, doesn't mean he's guilty. Unless the league, or a judge, says something official, they might as well wait it out. He's a free agent soon anyways.

He wasn't arrested for being a drunk, though.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by C.lupus » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:12 pm

Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham is back in jail again, this time accused of sending threatening text messages to a woman he lived with soon after he was charged with trying to strangle her in their Medina home.

Cunningham, charged Friday with felony domestic assault, was arrested again by police Sunday — this time on suspicion of making terroristic threats. He was being held without bail at the Hennepin County jail ahead of a court appearance Monday afternoon on the initial accusation.

About 3 a.m. Sunday, the woman called police back to the home in the 400 block of Medina Road and said Cunningham was violating a court order for protection that required the NBA veteran to not have contact with the woman.

She said was she was receiving “threatening messages” from Cunningham, said Police Chief Ed Belland. “Officers reviewed the messages and found they were direct and rose to a terroristic level.”

Cunningham, 26, turned himself in shortly before noon Sunday in Minneapolis, the chief added.

A cellphone and computers have been seized by police from Cunningham as part of the investigation.

Belland said he’s not sure when charges in the second incident might come, noting, “There is a lot of forensics to do with the phones and the computer.”

http://m.startribune.com/?id=254195611
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,325

Post#46 » by Calinks » Mon Apr 7, 2014 7:24 pm

In this day and age you cannot make any threats like that even if they are ambiguous. Police will seriously come to your house and question you. Cunningham needs to think with his head here and not his dink and whatever happened between him and this woman is over. Cut her off and go on about your life. It's ridiculously stupid to go to these lengths, especially considering the fact that you are a 26 year old pro sports player. You are young, wealthier than 80 percent of the people in the world and in the public eye. Let this one go, there will be PLENTY of others. Not worth screwing your career up and losing out on millions and playing the game you love.

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Saltine » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:11 pm

Klomp wrote:
Saltine wrote:Being a drunk isn't grounds for terminating his contract, just because cops arrest him, doesn't mean he's guilty. Unless the league, or a judge, says something official, they might as well wait it out. He's a free agent soon anyways.

He wasn't arrested for being a drunk, though.

yeah, but that's about the only thing we actually know. He drinks too much, and gets pissed.

For all we know his girlfriend is a coke whore who got caught screwing her dealer on a pile of Dante's cash. We don't know crap, other than she didn't go to the hospital, she certainly would have if he was out of control...

I am a bit stunned how quickly some of you make a judgment without knowing hardly anything about what happened. We only have one side of the story...
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#48 » by MinneOOPalis » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:28 pm

Keep in mind they have two kids together.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#49 » by packforfreedom » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:31 pm

Wow I can't believe there a people actually defending Dante.
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Saltine » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:32 pm

and he turned himself in. We'll see what his lawyer says happened...

Oh, I'm not defending him, waiting to hear the facts is not defending the man. I'm just saying we shouldn't kick the dude to the curb when the facts aren't in. If this story was about Rubio, or Love, would you be so quick to release the guy?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,325

Post#51 » by Calinks » Mon Apr 7, 2014 10:08 pm

Sakuragi_ wrote:Keep in mind they have two kids together.

That's a good point I wasn't aware of. Definitely makes letting go harder. I still say he needs to move on but I will refrain from making further snap judgments until I am aware of more facts. I just wish he handled this much more appropriately.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#52 » by shangrila » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:13 pm

I think there's more than enough facts to make a judgement here. Cops don't just arrest you for no reason. They answered a call and came away with the belief the woman had been abused to some degree. And then they reviewed messages sent by Cunningham to this woman and believe that they were threatening enough to arrest him again.

There's not a lot of room for doubt here.
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Saltine » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:22 pm

Cops? Our cops are not paragons of virtue, neither are our prosecuting attorneys. They do stupid **** every day. This is America.

Cops murdering a guy for camping while carrying pocket knives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DngOL6LokN4

I might trust a cop in New Zealand, or Iceland, not here.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by C.lupus » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:57 pm

Saltine wrote:and he turned himself in. We'll see what his lawyer says happened...

Oh, I'm not defending him, waiting to hear the facts is not defending the man. I'm just saying we shouldn't kick the dude to the curb when the facts aren't in. If this story was about Rubio, or Love, would you be so quick to release the guy?

So you're saying someone is innocent until proven guilty? What do think, this is America or something?
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#55 » by King Malta » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:12 am

Bloody hell.

Obviously he's innocent until proven guilty but if this is all true then I'm genuinely shocked. Always picked Dante to be a real stand-up guy. If it is true he's surely gotta go.
TheUroborosWorm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#56 » by TheUroborosWorm » Tue Apr 8, 2014 10:12 am

Working like i do with an association in defense of women, i've seen that same pattern quite a few times, individuals raised in a heavy discilplinary family (seems like he's from a military family enviroment) where the "chain of command" is clear and strict, always the father, and as long as they behave in that kind of mental structure, they are nice and exemplar individuals in their daily life, but then, when they go home and try to recreate that same "behaviour" in XXI century and find a woman who doesnt do EVERYTHING they say, the beating up starts and grow till actual murder, their brain patterns cannot face the fact their womans are individual entities with the same status in a relationship, consider them a propiety and when something like this happens the danger of homicide grows exponentially.

I can understand him, that's why i CANT FORGIVE that kind of behaviour, laws here in spain are really tough and still women die at 1+ weekly ratio, more than terrorist have ever done, i just hope he goes to trial, and respects whatever judge decides... but in my experience, that woman is in serious death danger.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by C.lupus » Tue Apr 8, 2014 1:25 pm

Is she the mother of the girls? I'm confused on that because she said they just started living together 8 months ago and I thought I read they met last summer. I could be wrong on that. If she isn't the mother, are the girls living with them?
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#58 » by The J Rocka » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:02 pm

C.lupus wrote:

Is she the mother of the girls? I'm confused on that because she said they just started living together 8 months ago and I thought I read they met last summer. I could be wrong on that. If she isn't the mother, are the girls living with them?

I assume it's the mother and they all live together in that Medina home. He's always posting family photos on his twitter and instagram accounts. Guess his instagram no longer exists.
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Saltine » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:37 am

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/254418711.html
Meanwhile, Cunningham’s attorney said he does not believe the second of the two criminal charges will hold up, and Hennepin County Attorney Michael Freeman released a statement saying that no additional charges had been filed and that a decision on whether to do so will be made in the coming weeks.

“I have been close to the case from the beginning,” Cunningham’s attorney Emanuel Serstock said. “The allegations [of terroristic threats] we totally deny.”

Cunningham did not talk with the media, but in a statement released by the team, he said: “The charges and accusations in my personal life have unintentionally placed my teammates and the organization in a challenging position. I cannot comment on the charges, as we require that the facts play out through the legal process. Thank you for your understanding.”
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#60 » by packforfreedom » Wed Apr 9, 2014 6:38 am

Saltine wrote:and he turned himself in. We'll see what his lawyer says happened...

yes, i don't root for misogynic, violent ****.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves