Trade Is Accepted
15%

Total votes: 13

nrockshard
Ballboy
And1: 0

Hypothetical Trade with Dallas 

Post#1 » by nrockshard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:22 am

Suppose this trade ends up on the table. What happens: Minnesota rejects it, Dallas rejects it, they both reject it, or it is accepted? If it doesn't get accepted, what are your reasons for saying so? What tweaks could be made to improve it?

Dallas receives:
Nikola Pekovic ($48 million / 4 years)
JJ Barea ($4.5195 million / 1 year)
Pelicans 2nd Round Draft Pick
2014-15 Salary Hit: $16.6195 million

Minnesota Receives:
Monta Ellis ($17.8 million / 2 years)
Brandan Wright ($5 million / 1 year)
Jae Crowder (Mavericks will resign for Timberwolves, $2.8995 million in 2014-15, Wolves/Crowder can negotiate his salary for future seasons)
Mavericks Lottery-Protected 2015 1st Round Draft Pick
2014-15 Salary Hit: $16.6195 million
nrockshard
Ballboy

Re: Hypothetical Trade with Dallas 

Post#2 » by nrockshard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:35 am

My personal thinking behind this was as follows:

Minnesota has severely lacked post defense not just this year but for the entirety of the Love/Pekovic big-man-duo-era. Rookie Gorgui Dieng has looked excellent in his playing time this season, particularly in this area. Because of this, Pekovic could be seen as expendable and has about as much value as ever. For a team often plagued by injury, it may be wise to sell the oft-injured big man while his value is peaked. In return, they would be receiving Monta Ellis, who could more effectively fill the role that JJ Barea has had for them the last few season, coming off the bench (if his ego can handle it) as both a point guard and shooting guard in a three-man guard rotation with Rubio and Martin. Brandan Wright would be a backup big man with athleticism, something the team could use. Jae Crowder could add depth to the Timberwolves' weakest position, SF, while potentially initiating a draft-day trade involving either himself or Chase Budinger. The first round pick the Wolves receive from Dallas would make up for the one the Wolves are hoping to lose to Phoenix if they make the playoffs next season, allowing them to continue adding pieces.

Dallas could really use a center, and with Pekovic perfectly fits the mold of the types of center Rick Carlisle has been utilizing (mammoths that can really rebound. Plus, Pek is a very good inside scorer). JJ would offer an improvement in attitude from Monta, not to mention the fact that he was around for this team's latest championship so he could very quickly be back in the thick of things for them again. Pekovic has 4 years left on his contract, which makes him more attractive to a team that is going to be losing their star player to retirement within those four years. Pekovic could be a big time building block or trading chip when that time comes (he's 28 right now) while still helping the team in its championship hopes for next season. The second round pick could potentially turn into a European stash-away player whose value could surface right around the time Dirk calls it quits.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#3 » by karch34 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:03 am

I would definitely consider it for MN as I like a lot of you reasoning. Not sure what Dallas thinks of Pek because previous warts and all I think Ellis has been a great fit for them. I'd probably start Ellis at SG and move him to PG when Martin is in. Would also allow us to move Bud and Luc's expiring for a backup PF.
nrockshard
Ballboy

Post#4 » by nrockshard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:27 am

I posted this on the Mavericks forum too, the consensus has largely been that the Mavs would reject it, but it's not a totally far off deal. If Dallas really likes Pek, it could go through.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#5 » by Tirion » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 am

Wolves could've had Monta last summer instead of Martin/Brewer.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#6 » by Krapinsky » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm not sure what it accomplishes for us. We lose our starting center and get another scoring SG that doesn't play defense.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#7 » by Wolf_Cry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Hell no for MN. Wright sucks. Crowder sucks. And though I am a fan of Ellis, he would not fit in this team. People need to realize we don't need any more offensive players. We need to acquire a two way player to balance this whacko team out! Not only that, I'm still skeptical how good Monte really is. Remember that just last year his value tanked badly, and it's only been a year since. Just because Dallas is in the play offs, I still don't believe Monte's the old Monte when he was balling big in GS.

The only reason I'd consider this trade is that Ellis' contract expires next season. Dalls can say no all they want, I'm saying HELL NO for MN.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#8 » by karch34 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Krapinsky wrote:I'm not sure what it accomplishes for us. We lose our starting center and get another scoring SG that doesn't play defense.

I think whatever wing we get for Pek would have a flaw or they wouldn't be available. Most likely it's going to be defense. What has me interested is I think Monte is much more clutch than Martin. Not saying he is better overall or more efficient, but I think he has the ability to be that guy for us, so it's not just our PF throwing up shots under a triple team in the last two minutes.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#9 » by PZiv » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Minnesota denies: it doesn't want to trade big for small and old, it will only trade him with garbage contract(Martin, SF's), Barea's expiring
Dallas denies: it wants to be cheap and doesn't want high revenue longterm contract with anyone, it is fine with 8th seed mediocrity until something miracolous appears(Era beginning player), Nowitzki era is crowned with a ring and there's no use beating up a dead horse.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#10 » by LordBaldric » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:54 pm

Technically, we didn't lack post defense. We lacked help defense/rim protection vs penetrating guards & wings.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#11 » by Darren » Tue May 6, 2014 3:16 pm

The Mavs woult not trade Ellis for that package. Make it Calderon and a future 1st.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves