The Offseason Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

The Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 am

Another season is over. Its time for the part of the NBA year we Wolves fans look forward too far to often: The offseason

Its obvious the first matter of business will be to find a new coach. Names have been discussed, but I can't wait until we finally have that guy who we can use to give us an idea of how our roster will be shaped.

After that comes the draft. Do we keep our pick or do we trade it. Do we finally get lucky enough to move up?! (ha!)

To close it all will be the free agency and trading period. Do we play it safe and conservative, or will Flip try to strike it big with some bold moves? Or does Flip recognize that our core has gradually improved, and will continue to do so? How does he handle the Kevin Love situation?

These are all questions that will be answered over the next four months. We are at another pivotal juncture for this franchise. 25 years are in the books. This is an offseason that could set the next 25 years up, either for success or failure.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: The Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 am

The 13 pick is already guaranteed for us ? Or we can go down to 14 in lottery ?
And then the pick goes to Phx right ?
With the bad luck that we have. I dont know. :D
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#3 » by theGreatRC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 am

mercgold3 wrote:The 13 pick is already guaranteed for us ? Or we can go down to 14 in lottery ?

Only way we give up our pick is if the Suns get a top 3 pick and we get pushed back.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#4 » by PZiv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:56 am

theGreatRC wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:The 13 pick is already guaranteed for us ? Or we can go down to 14 in lottery ?

Only way we give up our pick is if the Suns get a top 3 pick and we get pushed back.

if drafts are fixed as many believe, there's no chance in hell that would happen. No way will NBA allow a team to hold 1st-3rd, 14th, 17th and 27th pick in heaviest draft in last 12 years, especially a team that has among the best salary cap situations.
edit: come to think about, if we retained our 13th, I'd trade it for 17th and 27th, might risk lossing Harris, but we'd get Adreian Payne with 17th and Zach LaVine with 27th.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#5 » by Jukeness » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:46 am

**** Barea and Dante, go for Patrick Mills, and see what we can get for Pek and Martin. Draft Gary Harris or Rodney Hood or possibly even Kyle Anderson if his stock improves.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#6 » by Vindicater » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 am

Pair the 13th pick and Martin for anythfor a pick later in the first round and a contract that is expiring.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,699

Post#7 » by minimus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 am

Vindicater wrote:Pair the 13th pick and Martin for anythfor a pick later in the first round and a contract that is expiring.

#13, Budinger, Shved for Avery Bradley (S&T 36mil/4yr), #18.

Then make K-Mart 6th man.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:54 am

minimus wrote:#13, Budinger, Shved for Avery Bradley (S&T 36mil/4yr), #18.

Why would Boston do that?
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,699

Post#9 » by minimus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 am

Klomp wrote:

If they aren't willing to sign often injured AB, they can improve their draft position and grab #13
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 am

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:

If they aren't willing to sign often injured AB, they can improve their draft position and grab #13

And take bad an always-injured player on a not-great contract as well? There will be no one at 13 that will be worth taking Budinger.

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#11 » by packforfreedom » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:05 am

The main goal of the offseason is convincing Love to stay. So I would involve him in every decision and show him, that he has the chance to make history in Minnesota. Sure he can go, and probably win a title somewhere, but if he somehow manages to be successful here, he'd be a lifetime hero for the Timberwolves, like Duncan is for San Antonio or Kobe is for the Lakers.

--------------------------------------------------------
Some lines about the Pek situation.

The only teams that could have interest in Pek are imo Cleveland, OKC and New Orleans. With his contract it's gonna be hard to get a good value back (which would be, either Waiters/Deng, Gordon+X, Lamb+X).

As some others on the board, i'm starting to like the idea of bringing Pek off the bench for 20+ Minutes. Imagine Pek going Pek on backup centers, while Dieng can start with Love. Pek's gonna shoot 65%+ and solves single handedly (as his lay-ups) our bench scoring issues, and Dieng can develop and bring shot blocking and defense and passing (Dieng is so awsome) to our starting 5. Sure 12m are a ton for a 6th man, but we can still trade him under value, if Love decides to leave next summer and we rebuild.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#12 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:10 am

Jukeness wrote:**** Barea and Dante, go for Patrick Mills, and see what we can get for Pek and Martin. Draft Gary Harris or Rodney Hood or possibly even Kyle Anderson if his stock improves.

I have little doubt I(and others probably) would come to hate Mills guts if we signed him. He is a chucker as much as JJ is, certainly in international play. I just wouldn't trust him outside of San Antonio, I have no idea how they get what they do out of some of the players they have.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#13 » by packforfreedom » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:13 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:
Jukeness wrote:**** Barea and Dante, go for Patrick Mills, and see what we can get for Pek and Martin. Draft Gary Harris or Rodney Hood or possibly even Kyle Anderson if his stock improves.

I have little doubt I(and others probably) would come to hate Mills guts if we signed him. He is a chucker as much as JJ is, certainly in international play. I just wouldn't trust him outside of San Antonio, I have no idea how they get what they do out of some of the players they have.

Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#14 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 am

im very excited this offseason. we have many movable assets ( expirings,picks) and im confident with Flip's decision making.

my wishlist would be Afflalo,Thaddeus Young and Hinrich
Trust the PRosas!
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#15 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:52 am

packforfreedom wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:

Yes sir, that guy is amazing.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#16 » by Dewey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Pretty simple ...

#1 ... name new coach.
#2 ... for the love of god - acquire a starting caliber SG
#3 ... strengthen bench

Dieng and Turiaf provided some critical value to big man rotation ... with Pek, we are okay for bigs short-term, and needs little attention as compared to our perimeter game. Here, JJB, Shved, and Kmart were disappointing ... Brewer is far more engaged on his role and Bazz showed some flashes that he can make a positive impact in a rotation.

Plan A: Trade pick/players for starting SG.
Plan B: Draft potential starting SG.

I don't see team moving Pek until KLoves status is more clear. I do think Love now sees the need for more interior defense and the fact his buddy Peks game is not compatible. Either way, Pek does not carry enough value for an elite wing, so short-term he remains.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#17 » by Maefteda » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Head coach, I try my best to get Fred Hoiberg. If not, then George Karl is a good alternative.

In the draft, I hope we pick Stauskas. Get a quality ballhandler and 3PT shooter on a low contract for 4 years. Getting a starting SG would probably be preferable though, so we can put Martin on the 2nd unit, but I think our 1st unit is fine if Gorgui offers the same rim protection and we get a better defensive coach.

Ariza for the MLE would be awesome in free agency. If we get Hoiberg as our coach, he might get the best out of a minimum contract Royce White. Hopefully we can find a way to turn the expiring Barea into Jarrett Jack. Seems like we were getting close to that before the deadline, but it broke down as the Cavs went for the playoffs and got some better players in. With LeBron out of the question and Deng and probably Hawes leaving, they might have to re-think and tank again. Jack would shore up our backup PG problem.

Speaking of PGs, Ricky can finally get his max 5 year extension in the summer... :roll: He's not gonna get what Kahn would have given him, but if we can get him for 4 years on a contract below 10 million I think we should pull the trigger.

Rubio/Jack/Shved
Martin/Stauskas/Budinger
Ariza/Brewer/Shabazz
Love/White/LRMAM
Dieng/Pek/Turiaf

We roll out a closing team of Rubio/Jack/Ariza/Love/Dieng. Good defense and nice spacing on O with Jack, Ariza and Love being good 3PT shooters and with 2 ballhandlers in Rubio and Jack who can set it up. I'm thinking Dieng and Pek will be able to play together and have them both play meaningful minutes. We'll have a lot of expensive backups though, but that's what last season's FA was for :P I'd like to ship out Budinger and Martin for a decent starting SG, but it's unlikely.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#18 » by Mattya » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Barea for Jack. LRMAM and #13 for Afflalo. Budinger and Shved for Prince. MLE or part of it for Shawn Marion, Al Harrington.

Rubio/Jack
Afflalo/Martin
Prince/Brewer/Shabazz
Love/Marion
Dieng/Pek/Ronny

Hire George Karl
liley
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#19 » by liley » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Maefteda wrote:Head coach, I try my best to get Fred Hoiberg. If not, then George Karl is a good alternative.

In the draft, I hope we pick Stauskas. Get a quality ballhandler and 3PT shooter on a low contract for 4 years. Getting a starting SG would probably be preferable though, so we can put Martin on the 2nd unit, but I think our 1st unit is fine if Gorgui offers the same rim protection and we get a better defensive coach.

Ariza for the MLE would be awesome in free agency. If we get Hoiberg as our coach, he might get the best out of a minimum contract Royce White. Hopefully we can find a way to turn the expiring Barea into Jarrett Jack. Seems like we were getting close to that before the deadline, but it broke down as the Cavs went for the playoffs and got some better players in. With LeBron out of the question and Deng and probably Hawes leaving, they might have to re-think and tank again. Jack would shore up our backup PG problem.

Speaking of PGs, Ricky can finally get his max 5 year extension in the summer... :roll: He's not gonna get what Kahn would have given him, but if we can get him for 4 years on a contract below 10 million I think we should pull the trigger.

Rubio/Jack/Shved
Martin/Stauskas/Budinger
Ariza/Brewer/Shabazz
Love/White/LRMAM
Dieng/Pek/Turiaf

We roll out a closing team of Rubio/Jack/Ariza/Love/Dieng. Good defense and nice spacing on O with Jack, Ariza and Love being good 3PT shooters and with 2 ballhandlers in Rubio and Jack who can set it up. I'm thinking Dieng and Pek will be able to play together and have them both play meaningful minutes. We'll have a lot of expensive backups though, but that's what last season's FA was for :P I'd like to ship out Budinger and Martin for a decent starting SG, but it's unlikely.

Provided we're keeping Love and Pek I like this plan. The only issue I see is that I would like to move Martin if at all possible because I think it would be addition by subtraction given the inept defense he plays and his proclivity for dominating the ball relative to Rubio. I think we'd be better off starting Chase or even Stauskas.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#20 » by Krapinsky » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Klomp wrote:

Wow, why on earth would anyone pay Avery Bradley $9M per year and trade back to do so? That would be one of the worst contracts in the NBA.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves