ImageImageImage

Post-Draft Kevin Love Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Which team has the best realistic trade package for Kevin Love?

Chicago- Flip can choose from Doug McDermott, Tony Snell, Taj Gibson, Mirotic
21%
Golden State- Flip can still get David Lee and Thompson and maybe Barnes
35%
Celtics- Flip can take Marcus Smart, James Young, Olynyk or Sully, Brooklyn/Philly/Clippers picks.
44%

Total votes: 113

criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Re: Post-Draft Kevin Love Thread 

Post#1941 » by criteriado » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 pm

skagen wrote:
criteriado wrote:LOL at Cleveland thinking they can get someone really good with those assets to trade it to us.

LOL at minnesota thinking they're gonna get a good deal on a player that's gonna leave anyway, whether through trade or FA.

It's much more likely that we get a good deal than the Cavs getting a good young player for Waites/Bennett picks.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#1942 » by AQuintus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Dakotan wrote:For starters he averaged more then those three.

Per-40:

Wiggins - 20.8 ppg, .563 TS%, .170 WS/40, 21.4 PER
Rose - 20.4, .560 TS%, .226 WS/40, (unfortunately no PER at sports-reference.com)
Wall - 19.1, .562 TS%, .196 WS/40, 22.3 PER
Griffin - 22.7, .648 TS%, .333 WS/40, (unfortunately no PER at sports-reference.com)

The most telling stat is the WS/40. All of them had way more win-shares than Wiggins.

Had a better 3 pt% also.

So?
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#1943 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Lebron (Cleveland) or K.Bryant (Lakers) and the dream team for K.Love, with sun, big city, big market.
Easy, K.Love would never choose Cleveland

I think K.Love would sign 1st with the Warriors or the Knicks before Cleveland with Lebron.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1944 » by urinesane » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:08 pm

nzd07 wrote:So, what makes Love a 'much better player' than Anthony... he can rebound better? Because that's really the only advantage he has.

He can be effective without the ball in his hands. Melo kind of needs the ball and iso to do his thing.

This main conversation is about who is a better fit with Lebron. It's Love and it's not even close.
Junior
And1: 112

Post#1945 » by ... » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
Antrim wrote:
Klomp wrote:No it doesn't.

Really? Is it much different if I had said "he can opt out at the end of the season"?

Yes, it is a big difference.

+1
Ethomasp31
Senior
And1: 208

Post#1946 » by Ethomasp31 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Westbrook36 wrote:I truly hope Minny holds strong for Wiggins. I'm tired of star players forcing their way out of towns because they let it known they won't re-sign, meanwhile those teams have to trade them and get crap in return, sending their franchise into NBA hell.

I hope you guys get a good deal for Love. He's a good player and you shouldn't have to accept crap for him.

We won't trade Love unless we get a trade we like. Flip would rather go into the season with Love and let him play out his contract than give him up for the guys Cleveland and Golden State are offering.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#1947 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Dakotan wrote:
Wolves should focus strictly on picks. The Cavs could offer the best pick options. That Memphis and Heat pick is gold. Plus why not add Waiters and Thompson. Both are very young and somewhat accomplished. Waiters 16pt/gm and Thompson almost averaged a double/double.

Hate that Boston deal. Not a fan of Smart. Unless Boston offers all their picks.

If Celtics offer is Smart + KO and the BKN picks (Unprocted picks)
And Cleveland is Waiters + Benett + 3 1ºrd picks (Protected picks)

That its easy, really easy. Boston by a mile.
Dakotan
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#1948 » by Dakotan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:12 pm

AQuintus wrote:
Dakotan wrote:For starters he averaged more then those three.

Per-40:

Wiggins - 20.8 ppg, .563 TS%, .170 WS/40, 21.4 PER
Rose - 20.4, .560 TS%, .226 WS/40, (unfortunately no PER at sports-reference.com)
Wall - 19.1, .562 TS%, .196 WS/40, 22.3 PER
Griffin - 22.7, .648 TS%, .333 WS/40, (unfortunately no PER at sports-reference.com)

The most telling stat is the WS/40. All of them had way more win-shares than Wiggins.

Had a better 3 pt% also.

So?

You said those guys were much better. They weren't. So you don't want Wiggins?
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#1949 » by AQuintus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Dakotan wrote:You said those guys were much better.

And you said that you could post a bunch of stats saying that Wiggins was better. Where are they?

They weren't.

They were. There's more to basketball than ppg.

So you don't want Wiggins?

non-sequitur?
Ethomasp31
Senior
And1: 208

Post#1950 » by Ethomasp31 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Antrim wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:I love how some people have this "real GM trade board" syndrome. It always has to be one team fleecing the other. If you see one side as winners, the other side can't win in a trade either.

This Love for Wiggins is a win win. If you watched Wiggins at Kansas, you would know how raw this guy is and that Irving/LeBron/Wiggins big 3 is a lot less balanced and less skilled than Miami's Big 3. Kevin Love swings CLE's big 3 the other way in such a positive manner.

Wolves best deal by far is Wiggins but if Kevin Love was signed for 5 more years as a twolf, I would hate to see Wiggins for Love because Wiggins has fallen way short of his expectations in college and Love is a top 10 player in this league easy.

The Wolves are losing the trade no matter what because Love is leaving next summer. You ARE going to lose ANY trade, just like the Nuggest lost when they traded Carmelo. I'm sorry, it's a bad situation, but it is what it is.

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/487699208540282880[/tweet]

Not possible. Any 3rd team that has the assets to get Love won't use them to get Love to Cleveland while taking back Cleveland's non-Wiggins assets.

Love's contract expires at the end of the season. That a team has assets that Minny likes doesn't mean they could trade for him, that's why from the beginning only GSW and BOS have been possibilities.

BTW, teams don't really give a **** about "helping" other teams, they just try to get better themselves. Danny Ainge just made the Celtics better in a trade yesterday while allowing the Cavs to get LeBron. See? It happens.

AQuintus wrote:
Antrim wrote:I hear you. But he's not.

Not what? On his way out of Minnesota? Willing to resign with Cleveland?

On a 4-5 year deal. He's about to be out. That's why you're going to lose any trade.

I agree the Wolves will be losing in any trade.....and that includes a Wiggins for Love trade....Wiggins is a prospect and Love is a top 5 player in the NBA.
skagen
Junior
And1: 32

Post#1951 » by skagen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Westbrook36 wrote:I truly hope Minny holds strong for Wiggins. I'm tired of star players forcing their way out of towns because they let it known they won't re-sign, meanwhile those teams have to trade them and get crap in return, sending their franchise into NBA hell.

I hope you guys get a good deal for Love. He's a good player and you shouldn't have to accept crap for him.

This is dumb. He's not forcing anything. He has an opt out at the end of the season. It's his right to go wherever he wants afterwards. Minnesota just wants to get something for him cause he's gonna leave.

Ethomasp31 wrote:We won't trade Love unless we get a trade we like. Flip would rather go into the season with Love and let him play out his contract than give him up for the guys Cleveland and Golden State are offering.

You would rather he walk and get nothing for him while you can than trade him for at least some picks? That doesn't seem smart.
criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Post#1952 » by criteriado » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 pm

SmoothKobra wrote:
criteriado wrote:
SmoothKobra wrote:
Cleveland has 3 2015 first round picks to dangle, plus Waiters, Thompson, Bennett. Deal isn't out of the realm of possibility, but I'd rather just keep Kyrie-Waiters-Wiggins-LeBron for the next 5 years honestly

When those 3 picks are gonna be non lottery picks , the offer gets much worse.

Mem pick is protected 1-5 and 15-30...slots 6-14 are entirely possible in a difficult west. So very possible that's a lotto pick.

Mia pick is top 10 protected in 2015...unprotected in 2017.

Cavs pick will be 20+ but still valuable.

So two potential lottery picks to throw around? Could easily get a deal done--or if not the Cavs can keep them and add even more young talent around their stellar core.

Memphis lost Gasol for more than 25 games and still made the playoffs. They're a lock for them unless something crazy happens.

If Miami doesn't make the playoffs, they'll keep their pick because the 9th-10th-11th-12th seed will have a better record than the East seeds.
And the Cavs pick would be 27+.

It's probably 3 20+ picks.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#1953 » by AQuintus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Antrim wrote:4-5 year deal. He's about to be out.

Yeah, and that's the ONLY reason why Love for Wiggins ISN'T laughable.

That's why you're going to lose any trade.

Of course we're going to lose on any trade. If he was under contract, we'd be talking LeBron or Durant for Love. Since he's not, we're talking Klay Thompson and Andrew Wiggins.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#1954 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:17 pm

skagen wrote:You would rather he walk and get nothing for him while you can than trade him for at least some picks? That doesn't seem smart.

There can still be a sign and trade for picks next summer, if need be.

No need to make that trade this summer.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#1955 » by AQuintus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 pm

skagen wrote:He has an opt out at the end of the season. It's his right to go wherever he wants afterwards.

No. It's his right to go wherever he wants AS LONG AS THAT TEAM HAS CAP SPACE. That's a MASSIVE factor that you're ignoring.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#1956 » by AQuintus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:20 pm

skagen wrote:You would rather he walk and get nothing for him while you can than trade him for at least some picks?

Probably not, but that's something the team can worry about in 6th months at the trade deadline, NOT NOW.

Not that the team will need to, since Love will more than likely be traded to some other team regardless, even if it's not the Cavs (who only get him with Wiggins).
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#1957 » by Sothron » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:20 pm

I am speechless that apparently some of these Cavs actually think busts like TT, Waiters and Bennett are somehow positives. The ONLY REASON they would be included in a deal is to match salary. NO ONE wants those guys. The only nugget for the Wolves is Wiggins and potential first rounders.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1958 » by urinesane » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Yeah, people are acting like Love is leaving at the end of training camp. There's a long season ahead, there is no pressure on Flip to do a deal now if it doesn't help the Wolves.

The Cleveland fans that are now all of a sudden entitled to Love can calm down. No Wiggins, No Love (mon).
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#1959 » by jpatrick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:23 pm

I have idea if Cleveland will trade Wiggins, but I'm extremely confident that if they don't, Love will not be a Cav.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#1960 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Lets wait for Carmelo. If he doesnt go to the Bulls.
The Bulls are my favorite, if Cleveland doesnt want incluide Wiggins.

Butler + Gibson + MCdermott + Boozer (exp) + 2016 1st round pick.

For Love + Martin + Budinger.

We can try.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves