***Official Summer League Thread*** Quest for the 2014 Title

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: ***Official Summer League Thread*** Quest for the 2014 T 

Post#861 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:20 pm

zauchary wrote:
Klomp wrote:Anyone else notice how much better the ball moved without #15 in the lineup?

I havent had a chance to watch the game, but from I've seen so far, GR3 looks like the guy I wish we could move forward with. Bazz looks like the same guy, just a few pounds lighter and little more willing to play defense. GR3 looks like a legitimate athletic 3 and D wing moving forward.

it's an interesting debate. I think shabazz can do some nice things as far as getting extra possessions on the offensive glass and working smaller players in the post, but GR3 might be a little more versatile with lineups and schemes. I'd like to see more of Shabazz though to see if he can be an efficient microwave scorer off the bench.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#862 » by jpatrick » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:30 pm

I just don't get it with Shabazz. He's terrible defensively and while he can score a little, he does it inefficiently and as a ball stopper. I do like that he crashes the glass, but all-in-all, I wouldn't be suprised if the team doesn't pick up his option after this year, although that would be tough for Flip given he was his first pick as our operations czar.

GRIII didn't do alot in SL before these last couple of games. I'm hoping he really works on his shot and with his athleticsm, becomes a three and D player. I think he'll get major run in the D league this year.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#863 » by MinneOOPalis » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Lakers, Hornets, Denver(Bulls)

All of these teams messed up.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#864 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Mattya wrote:I can't say enough how impressed I was with how LaVine played. Far more under control than his biggest supporters probably expected.

AP Sports Guy even said just now on the Meatsauce show that scouts from other NBA teams were surprised at how far along his game is.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Post#865 » by criteriado » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:35 pm

I did like GRIII. Didn't force a thing which I really like when we're talking about 3&D guys. He'll play better with a a PG like Rubio.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#866 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:38 pm

zauchary wrote:
Klomp wrote:Anyone else notice how much better the ball moved without #15 in the lineup?

I havent had a chance to watch the game, but from I've seen so far, GR3 looks like the guy I wish we could move forward with. Bazz looks like the same guy, just a few pounds lighter and little more willing to play defense. GR3 looks like a legitimate athletic 3 and D wing moving forward.

There's room for both of them on the team IMO since they play such different roles. Robinson is probably a 3 and D guy.

Bazz is a instant energy, instant offense guy. Hate to make this comparison, but he's like a SF version of JJ Barea. If he's in the right role, he can be effective. Not sure I see him as a longterm starter though.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#867 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:01 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlgvt7M8cT4[/youtube]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GorguiDieng/status/490351805692268545[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/Im_Russdiculous/status/490354034008539138[/tweet]

LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#868 » by LaViggins » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Honestly, I was so high on Bazz before summer league... But watching all the games this summer it looks like that old Bazz every team passed on in the draft. His frustration seemed to take over. IDK what it is but it seems like he thinks he is entitled because he is a sophomore or something, maybe jealous of Zach. Idk he doesnt seem to have fun playing, which is definitely bad for others around him.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#869 » by Swish4 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:27 pm

I think Bazz could make a lot of money over in Europe, and it's where he belongs. He'd be a #1 option as a scorer and would be able to defend OK in those collapsing zones and be a rebounding machine. His athleticism just falls below the curve in the NBA. But I really think he could be a star in Euroleague.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#870 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Klomp wrote:#9

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlgvt7M8cT4[/youtube]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GorguiDieng/status/490351805692268545[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/Im_Russdiculous/status/490354034008539138[/tweet]

:lol: I forgot those guys were teammates. I REALLY wanted Russ in the 2nd round and wouldn't have minded at all had they taken him over GR3. Hopefully GR3 is awesome in his own right. I know people rip on Russ for being kind of a gunner and a 6'0" SG, but he's fast, he D's up, he can hit the 3, and his touch around the hoop is really nice. I think he'll be around the NBA for quite awhile.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#871 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:34 pm

I just realized he has "Ruby Rhod" in his twitter name. Now I'm an even bigger fan and even more sad he's not on the Wolves.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,291

Post#872 » by Calinks » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Bazz's play this summer doesn't phase me. As we have seen time and time again, summer league play means very little. Last year Dieng looked like a total bust in the season he was a man. Its fun to watch and maybe you gleam a thing or two but an actual NBA game with NBA teammates changes everything. We have already seen a lot of positive outs of Shabazz on the NBA floor, that's the image of him I am sticking to. In Summer league he was the most experienced veteran NBA scorer on the floor. He had the highest scoring potential, he probably had a green light to take over and score at will. For the most part he performed poorly in that role. In the NBA season he wont have that responsibility. He will be one of the last options, he will get garbage buckets, he wont be defended as heavily consistently, he will have players who can create space for him. Please do not let summer league paint your outlook on his game.

I like what I saw out of Lavine and I see potential there. But again, this is summer league. We have to see how he performs on the pro level.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#873 » by Jukeness » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Calinks wrote:Last year Dieng looked like a total bust in the season he was a man.

I think to be fair, Dieng improved A LOT as the season went on.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#874 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:55 pm

that post up still of Shabazz intrigues me. How many SFs really know how to defend in the post? Might be worth something.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#875 » by Takingbaconback » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:43 pm

I love what Shabazz has shown. He's clearly worked on his shot, his form looks much intact and smooth. He's got several traits like rebounding, tenacity, and scoring savvy that I could see as top tier skills when it comes to his position. Maybe he won't be a starter in the NBA but has a possibility of being a spectacular 6th man in this league.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#876 » by The J Rocka » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:I love what Shabazz has shown. He's clearly worked on his shot, his form looks much intact and smooth. He's got several traits like rebounding, tenacity, and scoring savvy that I could see as top tier skills when it comes to his position. Maybe he won't be a starter in the NBA but has a possibility of being a spectacular 6th man in this league.

I'm leaning towards a 6th man role as well. He wants to come in and go to work. He's shown he's not afraid to take shots, to be aggressive, and get the flow going. Just needs to pick and choose when those opportunities are best. That will come with experience and good coaching. His D is a bit concerning but you can only hope with losing a few more lbs. that he can at least work to be average in that department.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#877 » by Takingbaconback » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:51 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:I love what Shabazz has shown. He's clearly worked on his shot, his form looks much intact and smooth. He's got several traits like rebounding, tenacity, and scoring savvy that I could see as top tier skills when it comes to his position. Maybe he won't be a starter in the NBA but has a possibility of being a spectacular 6th man in this league.

I'm leaning towards a 6th man role as well. He wants to come in and go to work. He's shown he's not afraid to take shots, to be aggressive, and get the flow going. Just needs to pick and choose when those opportunities are best. That will come with experience and good coaching.

Good point about the aggressiveness. Hopefully the wolves aren't so passive on offense this time around. Makes guys like Barea and Shabazz look worse than they are because nobody is willing to attack their man and are shooting contested jump shots.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#878 » by Nitroglycerin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:01 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:that post up still of Shabazz intrigues me. How many SFs really know how to defend in the post? Might be worth something.

this. even PF's(stretch fours mostly) will have a hard time guarding that.
it will be very useful.
1) iso post Bazz if the offense is struggling
2) lets us control the pace against run and gun teams
3) great counter against small ball lineups
Trust the PRosas!
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#879 » by PZiv » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Lets look it this way, if Shabazz was in 2014 draft, he'd be drafted around or before GRIII, they're equal to me.
But I love Shabazz you can work miracles with such a motor and work, only if you know how. I wish we had Sikma like guy for SF's. We need those desperately. I am high on him still, he can flourish with Rubio
zauchary
Junior
And1: 28

Post#880 » by zauchary » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:11 pm

^^ I want to like him, but he still looks like an inefficient black hole with not very much lateral quickness defensively, which limits him considerably on that end. I like his hustle offensively, but if I had to choose between he and GR3, right now, I'm taking GR3 all the way.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves