Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Minnesota Timberwolves Cap Space Reference Chart 

Post#1 » by Note30 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Going into the 2018 offseason.....

Current Salaries
Andrew Wiggins - $25,250,000 / $27,270,000 / $29,290,000 / $31,310,000 / $33,330,000
Jimmy Butler - $20,445,779 / $19,841,627 (PO)
Jeff Teague - $19,000,000 / $19,000,000 (PO)
Gorgui Dieng - $15,170,787 / $16,229,213 / $17,287,640
Taj Gibson - $14,000,000
Karl-Anthony Towns - $7,839,435 / $10,191,266 (QuO)
Cole Aldrich - $6,956,021 ($2,056,021 guar.)
Jamal Crawford - $4,544,400 (PO)
Justin Patton - 2,667,600 / 3,117,240 (TO) / $4,781,846 (TO) / $6,718,494 (QuO)
Tyus Jones - $2,444,053 / $3,573,205 (QuO)

Salary Cap Holds and Exceptions
Nemanja Bjelica - $7,504,998 (RFA)
Marcus Georges-Hunt - $1,699,698 (RFA)
Aaron Brooks - $1,499,698 (UFA)
Derrick Rose - $1,499,698 (UFA)
Kevin Martin - $1,360,304 (stretched)

Total Salaries: $118,318,075 (10 contracts)
Total Exceptions/Holds: $13,564,396
2018-19 Cap Number: $131,882,471

Sources:
Basketball Insiders
Wyn's spreadsheets
CBA FAQ (Larry Coon)
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Re: Minnesota Timberwolves Cap Space Reference Chart 

Post#2 » by Saltine » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:22 pm

It's all right here- 2014/2015;
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... lse&gid=19

:)

cap = $63,200,000
committed cash = $66,044,114

Zach LaVine cap hold= $1,713,200

the tax starts at $77,000,000

Wolves are $9,242,686 under the tax line.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#3 » by C.lupus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm not a big fan of having a bunch of Stickies but it's probably a good idea to have a financial reference thread.
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#4 » by LaViggins » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:46 am

According to Doogie the Wolves have helped Dante through his legal issues and the charges will be dropped soon. Supposedly he really really wants to come back to play for MN and feels he owes it to "us" because we have helped him through said legal issues.
Wolves21
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#5 » by Wolves21 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:56 am

I was a big fan of Dante but sorry after smacking his girlfriend around and then making threating calls I want know part of him.HIT THE BRICKS
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#6 » by breatnach » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:04 am

Twolves_42 wrote:According to Doogie the Wolves have helped Dante through his legal issues and the charges will be dropped soon. Supposedly he really really wants to come back to play for MN and feels he owes it to "us" because we have helped him through said legal issues.

If he's not willing to play for free, I am not particularly interested... Regardless if Love stays or we get a replacement PF (Lee, Sully, Taj), we need to free up minutes so Dieng can play more regularly.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#7 » by prefuse73 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:06 pm

That would be great if Dieng gets stronger and improves his quickness to a point of being able to play 10-12 minutes at the PF spot. I still love having both Pek and Dieng until Dieng fully proves to be the better overall player.

As far as DC is concerned, nice player two-way player (especially when he consistently hits that 18 footer). However, I still can't get over the legal stuff as well as him and JJ pouting on the bench. JJ for sure needs to go and I would be ok (depending on what we get back in the love deal), to bring back DC on a minimum deal.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#8 » by Krapinsky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:26 pm

By all accounts Dante is not a good guy to have in the locker room and he doesn't do any one thing well (average or better). We should move on.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#9 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 1, 2014 12:48 am

Krapinsky wrote:By all accounts Dante is not a good guy to have in the locker room and he doesn't do any one thing well (average or better). We should move on.

call me wacky, but I'd love to have Ekpe Udoh as the 3rd string PF/C
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,140

Post#10 » by GopherIt! » Tue Jul 1, 2014 2:06 am

C.lupus wrote:I'm not a big fan of having a bunch of Stickies but it's probably a good idea to have a financial reference thread.

I used to rely on Shrink, then Sham and now a schticky.
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Saltine » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:49 am

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#12 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:50 pm

I know I'm getting ahead of myself by looking to next offseason, but our cap situation might not be as bad as you might think.

People often point to the player options for Brewer and Budinger as crippling, but I'm not so sure that's the case. With all the money that gets handed out in free agency, I could easily see both of them opt out of their option year to test free agency. Both are currently on deals below the MLE value when I definitely could see them both get MLE money.

That puts us at around 25 million before the extension to Rubio. And if we're rebuilding, we could probably find takers for the Pekovic and Martin deals to cut another nearly $20 million off the books.

It will take a little work and a little bit of luck, but I think it could work out for us.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Saltine » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Yep. Just letting love walk, plus the expiring deals, and the cap increase next season, we would be around $35 million under the tax. If any of Bud, Brewer, or Martin are moved we have tons of space.

2015/16 Cap = $66.3 million, Tax = $81 million
Pek - 12.1 million
Ricky - $11 million?
Lavine - $2.15
Bazz - $2.05
Gorgui - $1.475
GR3 - $0.850
= $29.6 million

Martin - $7.1
Bud - $5 - player option
Brewer - $4.9 - player option
= $46.6 million

This is why we shouldn't take back any crappy contracts moving Love.
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Saltine » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Wyn changed things a bit for 2014/15;
these are reported figures;

and this one is confirmed figures;
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Saltine wrote:Wyn changed things a bit for 2014/15;
these are reported figures;

and this one is confirmed figures;

Probably only for the offseason free agency period.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#16 » by urinesane » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:50 am

Klomp wrote:I know I'm getting ahead of myself by looking to next offseason, but our cap situation might not be as bad as you might think.

People often point to the player options for Brewer and Budinger as crippling, but I'm not so sure that's the case. With all the money that gets handed out in free agency, I could easily see both of them opt out of their option year to test free agency. Both are currently on deals below the MLE value when I definitely could see them both get MLE money.

That puts us at around 25 million before the extension to Rubio. And if we're rebuilding, we could probably find takers for the Pekovic and Martin deals to cut another nearly $20 million off the books.

It will take a little work and a little bit of luck, but I think it could work out for us.

I'd like to keep Pek with Ricky and Dieng. I think Pek will benefit from a shot blocker. I'm fine with getting rid of Kmart though, his style of play doesn't fit that well now that Adelman is gone.

I also think if you put a shotblocker next to him, he is a bargain for his offensive and rebounding abilities. Pek gets flack for his defense, but I think it's mainly because he isn't athletic and doesn't really get help from Love like he would from Dieng.

I think if Love is moved (hopefully for Wiggins), the Wolves can do a very quick rebuild a la PHX last year.

I think Pek becomes a 20/10 guy and Dieng is good enough to spell him at times during the season. I think Flip will manage Pek's minutes better than Adelman and not run him as hard on tough stretches of the schedule as Adelman did.

I could see Dieng develop into a Serge Ibaka type player within the next few years, mainly defensively and his ability to post up and shoot the midrange jumper decently. I don't think he will shoot the 3, but he'd still be the best defender the Wolves have had since KG (which he probably already is).

If you get Wiggins this team all of a sudden gets very athletic and very solid defensively very quick. He wouldn't even have to develop his offense as quickly as they would expect in Cleveland (since they wouldn't have Love and have vets behind him). If he just becomes the high level defender most expect him to with some transition scoring ability, he would be an upgrade over Brewer (with a much higher ceiling).

Lavine looks like he will be a very competent shooter and could be a really nice pairing with Ricky, as Lavine's speed and ability to shoot will open so many opportunities for him without the ball. Along with his ball handling and passing that will help him have multiple weapons and options when he gets the ball coming off of screens. He's also a long athletic defender to go with Rubio and does a good job of keeping his man in front of him. I think Flip may have another "Steal Of The Draft" with Lavine.

I think the next two years we will see Rubio transform, he is going to get stronger, which will help him finish better around the basket (which he showed after the All-Star break) and that strength will also help him take shots with less energy spent. Rubio was at his worst when he didn't have his legs on the ends of tough stretches of the schedule. The next two years should be huge steps for Rubio not only as a scorer, but as a top PG and the leader of this franchise.

So with above team you have 4+ defenders and 1 (Pek) that is solid and somewhat underrated imo.

The offense wouldn't be lights out if Dieng and Wiggins don't improve their shooting a bit, but I think the offense will be solid enough where Dieng and Wiggins will get points, just from Ricky making easy scores for them. Lavine seems like he will provide solid wing shooting and I think Ricky's shot will improve this year, as well as his ability to finish around the basket.

If they can get Wiggins for Love, I would be very interested in seeing a starting lineup of Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Dieng/Pek in the near future. It would at least be entertaining.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Added a few go-to links at the top of the first post

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/status/493874930602094592[/tweet]

Since the deal will be finalized tomorrow, this means the money will come from the mid-level exception. Assuming the $3.75m number is on-point, the team will have $1,555,000 remaining of the MLE.

Just a heads-up, I will be reworking some things in the first post, to make it more complete and readable.

slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#19 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 11:57 pm

urinesane wrote:
Klomp wrote:I know I'm getting ahead of myself by looking to next offseason, but our cap situation might not be as bad as you might think.

I'd like to keep Pek with Ricky and Dieng. I think Pek will benefit from a shot blocker. I'm fine with getting rid of Kmart though, his style of play doesn't fit that well now that Adelman is gone.

I also think if you put a shotblocker next to him, he is a bargain for his offensive and rebounding abilities. Pek gets flack for his defense, but I think it's mainly because he isn't athletic and doesn't really get help from Love like he would from Dieng.

I think if Love is moved (hopefully for Wiggins), the Wolves can do a very quick rebuild a la PHX last year.

I think Pek becomes a 20/10 guy and Dieng is good enough to spell him at times during the season. I think Flip will manage Pek's minutes better than Adelman and not run him as hard on tough stretches of the schedule as Adelman did.

I could see Dieng develop into a Serge Ibaka type player within the next few years, mainly defensively and his ability to post up and shoot the midrange jumper decently. I don't think he will shoot the 3, but he'd still be the best defender the Wolves have had since KG (which he probably already is).

If you get Wiggins this team all of a sudden gets very athletic and very solid defensively very quick. He wouldn't even have to develop his offense as quickly as they would expect in Cleveland (since they wouldn't have Love and have vets behind him). If he just becomes the high level defender most expect him to with some transition scoring ability, he would be an upgrade over Brewer (with a much higher ceiling).

Lavine looks like he will be a very competent shooter and could be a really nice pairing with Ricky, as Lavine's speed and ability to shoot will open so many opportunities for him without the ball. Along with his ball handling and passing that will help him have multiple weapons and options when he gets the ball coming off of screens. He's also a long athletic defender to go with Rubio and does a good job of keeping his man in front of him. I think Flip may have another "Steal Of The Draft" with Lavine.

I think the next two years we will see Rubio transform, he is going to get stronger, which will help him finish better around the basket (which he showed after the All-Star break) and that strength will also help him take shots with less energy spent. Rubio was at his worst when he didn't have his legs on the ends of tough stretches of the schedule. The next two years should be huge steps for Rubio not only as a scorer, but as a top PG and the leader of this franchise.

So with above team you have 4+ defenders and 1 (Pek) that is solid and somewhat underrated imo.

The offense wouldn't be lights out if Dieng and Wiggins don't improve their shooting a bit, but I think the offense will be solid enough where Dieng and Wiggins will get points, just from Ricky making easy scores for them. Lavine seems like he will provide solid wing shooting and I think Ricky's shot will improve this year, as well as his ability to finish around the basket.

If they can get Wiggins for Love, I would be very interested in seeing a starting lineup of Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Dieng/Pek in the near future. It would at least be entertaining.

I like the idea. To be honest, I think they should try the Dieng/Pekovic experiment, but not for too long as Pek needs his rest.

As far as the Love deal will go, I think most likely, this will happen:

Minnesota: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins, non-guaranteed deals from Utah, first rounder of Cleveland/Miami/Memphis
Cleveland: Kevin Love

I think this would be the most likely return and I would be happy with it as Wiggins could possibly turn it around quite well while Bennett is worth taking a flyer on and I could see him improve after a disastrous year. I'd try him at the 4 with Wiggins, Rubio, Muhammad/Lavine and Pek/Dieng. Plus they should use the non-guaranteed deals to send to say a team looking for cap relief. Here's a few moves I'd do with Love gone:

Sacramento: non-guaranteed deals from Utah
Minnesota: Jason Terry(bought out), 2015 second rounder(31-49: this will definitely be converted as the Kings won't be a top 10 team in the league)

Kings get out of Terry's deal while getting some non-guaranteed deals they could use as trade chips while Minnesota gets a second to stockpile and an expiring.

Next move would be something like this:

Minnesota: Jason Richardson(bought out/waived)
Philadelphia: J.J. Barea, LRMAM, Shved

I think this would be ok to be honest. I think if the 76ers decide they need a bit of a sweetener, I'd send one of the overseas prospects that won't come here for a while to get it done as you'd essentially be opening up 3 roster spots where you can give them to the young guys to fight out for it in what will be hopefully a short rebuild/retool period.

As for the other deals, I would move Brewer as soon as I could if I knew that I'd be getting Wiggins. I'd try and move him to Memphis actually in a simple deal:

Memphis: Corey Brewer, trade exception
Minnesota: Tayshaun Prince(bought out), 2015 second rounder

Timberwolves get another asset for a dude who will be testing free agency and will opt out of his deal while getting an expiring and a pick plus the Grizzlies get a local product who'd be an upgrade over Prince.

Kevin Martin would be tough to figure out, but I think you could move him at the deadline plus he has a player option in his last year. Budinger I think you are stuck with him due to the fact that he's so injury prone. If he plays well, I'd look to send him to a playoff contender and try and get something for him. Potential lineup for next year:

Rubio/Williams
Martin/Lavine(give him more playing time as the season goes)
Wiggins/Muhammad
Bennett/?
Pekovic/Dieng/Turiaf
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 4, 2014 12:28 am

Can we keep this thread dedicated to salary cap comments and questions? There's enough threads to discuss moves the team should make.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves