ImageImageImage

Can we talk about the Spurs "depth" myth?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Can we talk about the Spurs "depth" myth? 

Post#1 » by guest81 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:41 am

One of the bigger arguments for people not wanting to trade Love is that it would kill their teams depth, and the way to win now a days is to be deep, just like the Spurs.

Let's throw this one out the window. The Spurs aren't "deep" because they have a bunch of young players that they have drafted and grown. The Spurs depth comes from their system, style of play, development, and of course Pop.

Diaw was cut from the worst team in history, considered overweight, but somehow becomes a stud with the Spurs.

Patty Mills, a guy who couldn't get off the bench in Portland, becomes a stud with the Spurs

Danny Green was pretty much out of the league at one point.

So the lesson, just because you have a bunch of young players, DOESN'T"T MEAN YOU CAN BECOME THE SPURS. You don't have their system, you don't have their development, and biggest of all, you don't have POP.

So yes if I had a choice of building a Miami team or a Spurs team, give me Miami, because you'll never be the Spurs
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Re: Can we talk about the Spurs "depth" myth? 

Post#2 » by Esohny » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:56 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rFT-uHm4w[/youtube]
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:07 am

Spurs are one of a kind: hall of fame coach with a hall of fame system and a hall of fame trio of stars to build around that never changes for like 10 years. They can plug guys in and get results. Everybody else has to do it the hard way.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#4 » by MrTwister » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:15 am

You can preach "Defense wins championships while offense can only win games" but last final series proved that championship can be won with good offensive flow and good offense in general I am not saying Spurs didn't played defense but offense and ball-movement is what gave them edge in that final series.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#5 » by guest81 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:32 am

Vuc N Pek wrote:You can preach "Defense wins championships while offense can only win games" but last final series proved that championship can be won with good offensive flow and good offense in general I am not saying Spurs didn't played defense but offense and ball-movement is what gave them edge in that final series.

Basketball is never is nevrr as simple as sayings like defense wins championships, or you have to have depth to win. Theres so many factors, using clichés to analyze basketball is silly
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#6 » by Esohny » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:39 am

guest81 wrote:
Vuc N Pek wrote:You can preach "Defense wins championships while offense can only win games" but last final series proved that championship can be won with good offensive flow and good offense in general I am not saying Spurs didn't played defense but offense and ball-movement is what gave them edge in that final series.

Basketball is never is nevrr as simple as sayings like defense wins championships, or you have to have depth to win. Theres so many factors, using clichés to analyze basketball is silly

John Madden thinks that whichever team scores the most points usually wins the game. I think he may be on to something.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#7 » by PZiv » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 pm

The Spurs will have a problem the very moment one of their trio quits, they have rare trips to lottery from which they make dynasties. But this time I think they will(have to) resolve through free agency rather than draft. Duncan still plays like a starter which is jabbar like achievement considering his age, but I think theres not much juice to squeeze out.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#8 » by Narf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Spurs are one of a kind: hall of fame coach with a hall of fame system and a hall of fame trio of stars to build around that never changes for like 15 years. They can plug guys in and get results. Everybody else has to do it the hard way.

Fixed that for you bud.
MaxMN
Junior
And1: 95

Post#9 » by MaxMN » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:37 pm

Good coaches win championships.
"Wiggins wasn't as good as our second best player Gay, and it's questionable if he even gets to that level. He isn't proven." -Kings2013 on 06/09/2015
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#10 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Narf wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:Spurs are one of a kind: hall of fame coach with a hall of fame system and a hall of fame trio of stars to build around that never changes for like 15 years. They can plug guys in and get results. Everybody else has to do it the hard way.

Fixed that for you bud.

Duncan was the only one there 15 years ago
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#11 » by PZiv » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
Narf wrote:

Fixed that for you bud.

Duncan was the only one there 15 years ago

but he had another HOF in Admiral and a lots of NBA veterans in 1999.
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#12 » by Baller2014 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:37 pm

Duncan is one of the best bigs in the NBA still. Tony Parker was an all-nba 2nd teamer. Guys like Kawhi and Manu (when he's on and healthy) are more than just "good" players, Kawhi looks like a future star in fact. They are deep and well coached and experienced, but they've got a tonne of talent on the team too.
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#13 » by Streakers33 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:41 am

Their deal. Is team first. All those guys could get paid on other teams. They all agree to take cuts and stick together. That's what we need here. Trade love. Start new "idea" of twolves ball. First is flip. Everyone buys in. Winning allows systems to take place. This is also y maxing Rubio scares me. I'm a believer that we don't need any 20 mil guys to cramp us. Look how much our depth struggles with a 15 mil guy. Look at pek. He took 12 mil and that should be our peak. Win f-ing games. Make play offs. And the core will buy Into it. That's what the spurs have done period. Watch Dallas this year as dirk is trying to get that balance on his team...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves