Ideas for dumping bad contracts post KLove Era

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,516

Ideas for dumping bad contracts post KLove Era 

Post#1 » by Note30 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:47 am

Hey guys,

I've been trying to determine what's the most reasonable dump we can make while still taking back the most value.

So far I've come up with several potential suitors for the likes of KMart Bud and other "bad" contracts.

I wanted to get your take on some of these ideas and what you think would be the best option for this situation.

----
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,516

Re: Ideas for dumping bad contracts post KLove Era 

Post#2 » by Note30 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:04 am

Los Angeles Clippers -- The best suitor for KMart.

Kevin Martin has a bit of an odd position, he's a contending worthy piece, but only off the bench. I think the Clippers would be the best suitor for him. They've been looking to move contracts and we can provide great feeds to them.

CP3/Farmar
Redick/Crawford / Wilcox
Barnes/Dudley/Bullock
Griffin/Davis
Jordan/Hawes

Potential trade: Kevin Martin for Jared Dudley, Reggie Bullock, 2017 2nd

One pick and young player plus a player on either the brink of NBA extinction or rejuvenation. Perfect for Doc's small ball lineup and yet another veteran to add to the playoff push.

I could also see a Brewer Barnes deal but I think a third party would have to be involved for that much larger trade.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#3 » by mg » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 am

Don't really see bad contracts as a huge problem. Other than effecting Taylor's pocketbook in the short term I don't see any real long term ramifications with any of the contracts.

Could see Martin fitting in nicely with several playoff type teams that need shooting off the bench. Clips and Bulls both come to mind.

Brewer could be a fit off the bench with Cleveland if they deal Wiggins. Maybe including him in the Love deal could be a possibility if Cavs include their nonguaranteed contracts in the trade.

I believe Flip likes Bud and wants to keep him.

Barea, Moute, and Shved are all expirings. I could actually see the Sixers having some interest in Moute as a mentor for Embiid.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#4 » by breatnach » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 am

mg wrote:
I believe Flip likes Bud and wants to keep him.

I thought Bud was an all-Adelman guy?

Either way, I'd like to trade Pek to OKC for Adams, but their fans are allergic to winning a championship it seems.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#5 » by Saltine » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 am

We don't really have any bad contracts...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... lse&gid=19
Martin's is fine, and he's the best shooting guard our team has ever had. He'd be easy to move if Flip wanted to, it's probably best to wait until the trade deadline for offers, or move him for Taj/Starting PF, if we do the Cleveland deal.

Bud's deal is fine, if he's healthy. Difficult to move him until teams see he's good to go, another trade deadline deal?

Brewer's contract is fine, we may not need him if Wiggins will be here, he'd be easy to move...

Luc Mbah a Moute's deal is okay, and expiring. Flip will want his D around, and he's our backup PF for the time being.

JJ + Shved are expiring, and both may be gone shortly.

It's difficult to guess who to pursue until we know which Love deal Flip is cutting.
Is it Wiggins/Bennett, or Taj, Mirotic, and McBuckets?? Dragic and the Morris Bros.??? Faried, Gallo and Robinson???? Klay, Lee, Green?????

In any case, we will need a good backup PG, and perhaps a good starting PF.
Nate Robinson? Sessions? Thad Young? Taj Gibson?
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#6 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Agree no real bad contracts on the team at least for our situation. We will probably not be viewing the next 2 seasons as successful based on wins and loses but on how our young guys look and develop. Martin is probably fine to keep round for some vet leadership and his last year won't be so bad as the cap will probably jump up to 75/80 million after 16 so a guy making 7.5 isn't so bad. If you can move him in the Love trade then do it but imo it's no biggie if we can't.
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#7 » by phonzadellika » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:44 pm

I'd trade Kevin Martin for Ersan Ilyasova.

Ersan makes about $1 million more per season than KMart does until the third year of their contracts when KMart gets the full 7.7 million or whatever it is while Ersan only has 400k guaranteed. I think the value is about equal since KMart had a consistent season last year where Ersan fell off the planet. Maybe Milwaukee throws in a second round pick or takes Barea or something because Ersan is definitely the crappier contract at this point.

Obviously the risk is that Ersan never returns to form and that we have a terrible contract for 2 years. If Ersan pulls it together, though, he will be able to provide a 3pt presence on the perimeter at the PF spot. I guess we could play Bud or Brew at the 2 for the year or until Lavine works his way into the starting lineup.

I guess this isn't really a contract dump since we'd be trading for another potentially bad contract, but it's a KMart move that I like. I don't really see the Bulls trading Taj Gibson for KMart unless we threw in more value on the trade.
MaxMN
Junior
And1: 95

Post#8 » by MaxMN » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:14 pm

The only people I'd like to get rid of are Bud and Mbah a Moute. Otherwise we do need some people on the roster to hit the salary minimum..
"Wiggins wasn't as good as our second best player Gay, and it's questionable if he even gets to that level. He isn't proven." -Kings2013 on 06/09/2015
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#9 » by jpatrick » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Yeah, no real bad contracts. I could see an argument for moving Martin to free up max cap space in 20016, but if a Wiggins deal happens, we will really need Martin's scoring/shooting.

The one trade I could see happening is for a vet 4 if the Love trade doesn't turn into a three-way with one coming to us then.

What's going to happen with GRIII? Doogie said awhile back that if a Wiggins trade doesn't happen, GRII may not be offered a contract because he doesn't have a roster space. If that's true (and he doesn't go out in a Love deal), I really would like to see a spot opened up for him. I think he has potential, maybe in a year or two, to be a pretty good defensive wing who shoots the three.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#10 » by Nitroglycerin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:44 pm

should rename this as post Kevin Love trades

if we can get Ersan AND Wolters that would be so much win.but I dont think they want Martin.
maybe a couple of expirings or Muhammad
Trust the PRosas!
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#11 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Wolves don't need Kevin Martin. I think it would be great to start Lavine at SG if Wiggins is acquired. All Kevin Martin is going to do is jack up even more ridiculous shots and play no defense. Not a good example for all the young talent, and Martin hinders their development by taking away quality and quantity of playing time. I like the Rubio/LaVine/Wiggins/Dieng core and I think the important players on the team wouldn't mind missing the playoffs one or two more years as long as the promising potential is unleashed.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#12 » by LordBaldric » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:35 pm

We don't have any "bad" contracts, just some mildly irritating ones. I wouldn't mind trading some of these guys for value or for better fits, but no way we should give up anything to dump them.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#13 » by LordBaldric » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:Wolves don't need Kevin Martin. I think it would be great to start Lavine at SG if Wiggins is acquired. All Kevin Martin is going to do is jack up even more ridiculous shots and play no defense. Not a good example for all the young talent, and Martin hinders their development by taking away quality and quantity of playing time. I like the Rubio/LaVine/Wiggins/Dieng core and I think the important players on the team wouldn't mind missing the playoffs one or two more years as long as the promising potential is unleashed.

You have way too much faith in LaVine.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#14 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:38 pm

I try to trade Budinger + 1 expring (Barea or Mbah or Shved) for T.Prince.

We save 5 M$ next year.
I like Bud, but the guy is always injured.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#15 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 pm

LordBaldric wrote:You have way too much faith in LaVine.

Or maybe you have too little faith in him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#16 » by Swish4 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:48 pm

I just think a trade with the Rockets makes too much sense for us. Give them Bud back to replace some of what they lost in Parsons, give them Barea as a needed veteran backup at the point and they could send back either Nick Johnson or Isaiah Canaan and a draft pick or a prospect.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#17 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:59 pm

What about with Detroit.
They need a 3.

PG - Will Bynum (exp) + PF - Jonas Jerebko (exp) - 7.4 m$
Budinger + A.Shved (exp) - 8.2 m$

Solve 2 problems for us. PG and PF.
Jonas Jerebko is not great, but is not bad either.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#18 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 pm

LordBaldric wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:Wolves don't need Kevin Martin. I think it would be great to start Lavine at SG if Wiggins is acquired. All Kevin Martin is going to do is jack up even more ridiculous shots and play no defense. Not a good example for all the young talent, and Martin hinders their development by taking away quality and quantity of playing time. I like the Rubio/LaVine/Wiggins/Dieng core and I think the important players on the team wouldn't mind missing the playoffs one or two more years as long as the promising potential is unleashed.

You have way too much faith in LaVine.

He can definitely be at least a top 10 SG in this league which seems to carry very few two way shooting guards. And I just don't have any faith in Kevin Martin, that's all. I would like to see him dumped for very little. He isn't going to help this team with his veteran leadership or be a good role model. No point in having him on the team.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#19 » by OleSchool » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:38 pm

mg wrote:
I could actually see the Sixers having some interest in Moute as a mentor for Embiid.

I can also see us (Sixers) taking Moute because he is the one that found Embiid, and those 2 are good friends.
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#20 » by Nitroglycerin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Shved Moute 2nd rd pick for Thad
Sixers cant demand a 1st because they will not eat a contract. Only exhange of expirings
Trust the PRosas!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves