ImageImageImage

Mo Williams signs with Wolves (1 year, $3.75 mil)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Re: Mo Williams signs with Wolves (1 year, $3.75 mil) 

Post#121 » by Jukeness » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 am

Saltine wrote:
Jukeness wrote:
Saltine wrote:
LOL, obviously not, as the stats show he played well in 38% of the games, and you still hate him.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... elog/2014/

Stats. You seriously think +/- is an effective way of judging a player? It's based on unit success. There were games where he scored 5 points and had a + +/-.

yes, since he was leading our crappy second unit, I think it is a valid metric.

It's not, it's based on unit success. Way too many variables. He didnt even always play with the entire second unit.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#122 » by Saltine » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:04 am

Jukeness wrote:
Saltine wrote:
Jukeness wrote:Stats. You seriously think +/- is an effective way of judging a player? It's based on unit success. There were games where he scored 5 points and had a + +/-.

yes, since he was leading our crappy second unit, I think it is a valid metric.

It's not, it's based on unit success. Way too many variables. He didnt even always play with the entire second unit.

Well it's a better stat then your made up 20%
:)
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#123 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:32 am

Jukeness wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
Jukeness wrote:If you're an NBA player, you've got to be able to adapt to whatever role you are put in.

He did adapt by putting in more aggression but he was around nothing offensively. That is like saying Ricky Rubio should play just as well when you put Jennings, MKG, Craig Smith, and Dalembert around him. Except those 4 are somehow better than Shved, Hummel, Cunningham, and Turiaf on offense.

It's not like saying that, it means you need to be able to adapt to your situation and be as efficient in that role as possible. If JJ can only be a decent bench player when he's on a championship team, then I guess the Wolves wasted their time on him.

Looking at the context, there isnt any nba backup point guard who was going to make anybody better on that shved, hummel, cunningham, turiaf lineup. Shved just gets the ball then half heartedly looks at the basket then passes it, hummel just plants at the 3point line, cunningham sets a screen then pops to the elbow jumpshot, and turiaf just banged inside waiting for the rebound. Unless you start kobeing it up, theres no end to the contested jump shots and bricks or the oh so endearing cunningham 18 footers.

Also for an adelman coached team you would expect some movement but all they ran was a high pick. Then everybody just stood in their spots looking at barea to do something. If anything the timberwolves wasted barea's time and effort. That second unit was comically predictable, and barea tried his best to mix stuff up as everyone else was a robot doing same cardboard cutout routine night in and night out
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#124 » by Jukeness » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:21 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
Jukeness wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
He did adapt by putting in more aggression but he was around nothing offensively. That is like saying Ricky Rubio should play just as well when you put Jennings, MKG, Craig Smith, and Dalembert around him. Except those 4 are somehow better than Shved, Hummel, Cunningham, and Turiaf on offense.

It's not like saying that, it means you need to be able to adapt to your situation and be as efficient in that role as possible. If JJ can only be a decent bench player when he's on a championship team, then I guess the Wolves wasted their time on him.

Looking at the context, there isnt any nba backup point guard who was going to make anybody better on that shved, hummel, cunningham, turiaf lineup. Shved just gets the ball then half heartedly looks at the basket then passes it, hummel just plants at the 3point line, cunningham sets a screen then pops to the elbow jumpshot, and turiaf just banged inside waiting for the rebound. Unless you start kobeing it up, theres no end to the contested jump shots and bricks or the oh so endearing cunningham 18 footers.

Also for an adelman coached team you would expect some movement but all they ran was a high pick. Then everybody just stood in their spots looking at barea to do something. If anything the timberwolves wasted barea's time and effort. That second unit was comically predictable, and barea tried his best to mix stuff up as everyone else was a robot doing same cardboard cutout routine night in and night out
Well I guess Barea couldnt adapt to being the main scorer off a bench, did a pretty **** job trying to fill that role, I guess we now know that he should never be in that role again.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#125 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:25 am

Jukeness wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
Jukeness wrote:It's not like saying that, it means you need to be able to adapt to your situation and be as efficient in that role as possible. If JJ can only be a decent bench player when he's on a championship team, then I guess the Wolves wasted their time on him.

Well I guess Barea couldnt adapt to being the main scorer off a bench, did a pretty **** job trying to fill that role, I guess we now know that he should never be in that role again.

Well nobody but superstars like kobe could be an effective scorer next to that lineup. Barea can be in that role, what we know is that Shved shouldn't play a single minute, Hummel should be played very sparingly, the PF shouldn't pop 18 footers all game, and the C should sometimes create his own shots in the post. We also know the players shouldn't just stand there with their mouths open looking looking at 5 foot Barea to do everything on offense.

I know he acted like a lunatic every other night, going out of control but I appreciated Barea for his fire and passion. Seemed like he and Love were the only ones who really hated to lose and desperately wanted to do something about it.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#126 » by Jukeness » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:34 am

Back to what I said before, you have to adapt to be the most efficient player you can be regardless of who's around you or what your role is. Certainly Barea could have done a better job, or he just couldnt handle it.

Mo will have has moments and inconsistent games, but he will still probably be a breath of fresh air.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#127 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 am

Jukeness wrote:Back to what I said before, you have to adapt to be the most efficient player you can be regardless of who's around you or what your role is. Certainly Barea could have done a better job, or he just couldnt handle it.

Mo will have has moments and inconsistent games, but he will still probably be a breath of fresh air.

I like Mo better too, he was a very good pickup
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by Saltine » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
Jukeness wrote:Back to what I said before, you have to adapt to be the most efficient player you can be regardless of who's around you or what your role is. Certainly Barea could have done a better job, or he just couldnt handle it.

I like Mo better too, he was a very good pickup

Yep, no doubt about that. :)
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by Saltine » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:25 pm

A nice article on the signing from Britt Robson;
It's entirely possible the Timberwolves won't be terrible this season
http://www.minnpost.com/sports/2014/07/ ... ble-season
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#130 » by Narf » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:15 am

JJ Barea took 16.1 FGAs per 36 minutes at a .477 TS%.
Mo Williams took 13.2 FGAs per 36 at a .507 T$%

Both had bad shooting years, but Williams has been a much better shooter over his career (especially from 3). But there's 2 improvements, one of which is simply that Williams won't shoot as often as Barea.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Re: Mo Williams signs with wolves 

Post#131 » by guille_4 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 1:47 pm

AQuintus wrote:
guest81 wrote:
Add up all the averages for the minutes for Wolves players last year. It doesn't equal 240

48*5 = 240. It's really basic math.

Mo Williams = -2.74 RPM last year (0.21 ORPM, -2.95 DRPM)

Barea = -3.22 RPM last year (-1.89 ORPM, -1.33 DRPM)

So, Mo isn't especially good, but he's still a pretty big upgrade over Barea.

You're assuming perfect health.

It's a really naive assumption.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Re: Mo Williams signs with wolves 

Post#132 » by AQuintus » Sat Aug 2, 2014 7:33 pm

guille_4 wrote:You're assuming perfect health.

It's a really naive assumption.

No, I'm not. I'm assuming that Budinger, who already wouldn't be in the regular rotation, would cover for injuries, matchups, and foul problems. There's no reason to keep around multiple players, who will all want minutes, to fill that role.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves