ImageImageImage

Everyone I talk to doesn't care about the Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

alexlgnd
Freshman
And1: 7

Re: Everyone I talk to doesn't care about the Timberwolves 

Post#41 » by alexlgnd » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:48 am

Murphs56 wrote:Been in A New Yorker my whole life but always a Wolves fan. I'm the only Wolves fan I know, so I'm used to nobody caring

I'm currently stationed in New York, and every where else I've been I'm always the only 'Sota fan. It's tough being true, but it's worth it. I love Minnesota and I'm a huge fan of keeping our staff and everything else in house. In takes some one who's lived it to really appreciate the Twin Cities and everything else. Slug said it best.

http://youtu.be/Nn6iU_c2cM0
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#42 » by TaylorTag » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:51 am

Note30 wrote:Just out of curiosity how is summer life in minneapolis? from california just wanted to know. ln L.A. its not super difficult to see players out.in public how common is that in minny?

I live in Hollywood, but grew up in Minneapolis.

Summers in Minneapolis are almost as good as L.A. summers.
Kaled
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#43 » by Kaled » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:03 am

Lakers612 wrote:
Note30 wrote:Just out of curiosity how is summer life in minneapolis? from california just wanted to know. ln L.A. its not super difficult to see players out.in public how common is that in minny?

I live in Hollywood, but grew up in Minneapolis.

Summers in Minneapolis are almost as good as L.A. summers.

I've never been in L.A. so i wouldn't know, but i lived a couple of years in 'sota and summertime there is really nice.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#44 » by Murphs56 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:32 am

alexlgnd wrote:
Murphs56 wrote:Been in A New Yorker my whole life but always a Wolves fan. I'm the only Wolves fan I know, so I'm used to nobody caring

I'm currently stationed in New York, and every where else I've been I'm always the only 'Sota fan. It's tough being true, but it's worth it. I love Minnesota and I'm a huge fan of keeping our staff and everything else in house. In takes some one who's lived it to really appreciate the Twin Cities and everything else. Slug said it best.

http://youtu.be/Nn6iU_c2cM0

I've only been to Minnesota once and that was for wrestling camp back in High School. Never been to Target Center to see the Wolves play. Only at MSG, Barclays and Izod.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#45 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:50 am

SwishMaster90 wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
SwishMaster90 wrote:
I'm just browsing but didn't LaVine say "f#@k" when called for the draft to go to Minny? Some people said he felt relief to be called but I thought he looked different...plus he kinda knew he was going somewhere right? So relief wouldn't be the word...

in an interview he said people were misinterpreting him and that his words were " **** man...", but like "**** man...I'm in the NBA...lordy lord!" not like " **** man, I need to go buy some North Face gear."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said **** me at that moment. Like lordy lord I'm traded to... Minny. But hey, I could be wrong, reading lips isn't an easy past time of mine.

But consider his youth and picture the kind of people he probably hung out with as a teen - -Ii assumed "**** man" from the beginning because he looks like somebody that'd say "**** man", but not "**** me." You know what I mean? Usually you can tell what kind of swearing and slang a person would say. Like Zach Lavine would never say "get **** ed!", he'd say "**** you".

"**** me" is getting into that obscure, introspective level of cursing that only occurs once you're at least 30 years old and are starting to realize that the world just may in fact be against you, but "**** man" is universal to all ages and all situations.
alexlgnd
Freshman

Post#46 » by alexlgnd » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
SwishMaster90 wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
in an interview he said people were misinterpreting him and that his words were " **** man...", but like "**** man...I'm in the NBA...lordy lord!" not like " **** man, I need to go buy some North Face gear."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said **** me at that moment. Like lordy lord I'm traded to... Minny. But hey, I could be wrong, reading lips isn't an easy past time of mine.

But consider his youth and picture the kind of people he probably hung out with as a teen - -Ii assumed "**** man" from the beginning because he looks like somebody that'd say "**** man", but not "**** me." You know what I mean? Usually you can tell what kind of swearing and slang a person would say. Like Zach Lavine would never say "get **** ed!", he'd say "**** you".

"**** me" is getting into that obscure, introspective level of cursing that only occurs once you're at least 30 years old and are starting to realize that the world just may in fact be against you, but "**** man" is universal to all ages and all situations.

**** yeah.
SwishMaster90
Junior
And1: 152

Post#47 » by SwishMaster90 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:23 am

alexlgnd wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
SwishMaster90 wrote:

**** yeah.

Are you implying that **** me is an age appropriate thing? I feel like **** me would be said for young people before older adults due the word itself speaks of not understanding real life challenges and only young people say things to be over-dramatic most of the time. However, Zach LaVine looks about right to say **** me. UCLA kid, chilling in LA. I would never see say someone...how can I say this without offending, someone differently from NY or Philly say that. Now **** man, would be different. Anyway, he's with you guys and hopefully he plays to your expectation.
King Stannis
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#48 » by King Stannis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:04 am

Kids his age are not renowned for their wisdom. Or experience.

He'll learn to love the place. Once he is of drinking age that is.
Bend the knee.

LoboGris
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#49 » by LoboGris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Occasional lurker but signed up because I thought I could help with your question. I'll crawl back to my den after this.

I was born in Minnesota, then went to school in Washington and have lived in various places around the country (primarily northern locales admittedly) but have moved back to Minnesota because I honestly think it's the best place I've lived in yet. Beautiful, friendly, cosmopolitan- this is an underrated metro area and state.

The summer in Minnesota is why people live here and put up with the winters! Minnesota summertime ranks second behind only Seattle (1 glorious summer there) for my money. All the normal things you can find all year round (nice food, good beer, great concerts, incredible theatres and museums, approaching mediocre sports) plus everyone and their brother has a cabin so summers revolve around getting schlitzed and sunburnt at the lake.

The other thing you mentioned about seeing players in public? I usually see a couple of athletes when I go downtown for dinner/music/whatever. But for whatever reason Minnesota and LA might actually share a similar philosophy of not hassling celebrities when they're out and about. LA, obviously, because there are so many stars there people don't really give a toss about seeing celebrities (beyond TMZ photogs.) In Minnesota, it's usually because we're just so damn humble and decent that we don't want to disturb athletes/celebrities when they're trying to enjoy themselves.

This isn't even anecdotal (I have no specific stories) so take my words with a grain of salt, but I've heard of athletes reacting in different ways to this public mentality. Some guys really appreciate it and love living here for that reason. I've heard of other guys actually being annoyed that they're not getting the superstar attention though, and moving elsewhere to soothe that complex.

So this is probably much more than you wanted because I clearly can't edit myself but hope it offered some illumination. I'll come back and post again once I locate a delete key on my computer.

TLDR: Minnesota is a great place, especially in the summer, and if you're a celebrity we'll do our best to not get in your ****
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#50 » by Gunny » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:32 pm

I feel your pain, comrades.

Outside of the couple guys I work with who follow Minnesota sports as a whole, and my roommates who sit on the couch with me while I watch basketball, I don't know anyone who even remotely cares about the Wolves, and I'm really bitter/salty about it.

I just remember how the atmosphere was like in high school, and how EVERYONE was talking about the Wolves during the 03-04 season. I just wish we could get back there.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,331

Post#51 » by Calinks » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:34 pm

To expand upon come celebrity opinion on the state.

Chapman: How have the fans received you? Minneapolis fans, Minnesota fans seem to love Dave Chappelle. I mean, you sell out within 20 minutes when you announced your Avenue shows.

Chappelle: Uh, how do people treat me when I’m like walking around? … Great, man. As a matter of fact, no one really bothers me. People talk to me, they say hi, sometimes do a little camera phone picture but for the most part, I’d say people been really nice. They’ve been great. I don’t expect much, you know what I mean? When I go out, what am I supposed to … as long as they stay within the certain parameters. I dunno. It’s been cool.

Chapman: One of our viewers had a question — she wants to know, what will you take away from Minnesota when you leave?

Chappelle: That’s a good question. Lots of culture here — you know, we mentioned Prince but the whole music scene here, this idea that the crowds here, you can tell they see live entertainment a lot. The way the crowds behaves, you can tell it’s a standout city in that respect. Some people they’ll come, especially if they’ve seen you on television, and they’ll go crazy as if you’re on television still, like you can’t hear them or see them. The crowds here, the etiquette of the audience is impeccable.

Dana White also offers kind words for Minneapolis: "Fans here are awesome. The first time I had to come here, I was like, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than come to Minneapolis, Minnesota. And I landed her about midnight and I told my buddy, I said, 'You wanna go kick around the city a little bit to see what's like: We were out till 4 o'clock in the morning and I swear to God, I had the best time ever. This is a really cool city, seriously, no bull****, it's America's best kept secret."

I think a lot of people have this really bad impression. They get here, spend some time, then generally walk away very pleased. The reputation of the winters just really hurts perception.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
alexlgnd
Freshman

Post#52 » by alexlgnd » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:37 am

Calinks wrote:To expand upon come celebrity opinion on the state.

Chapman: How have the fans received you? Minneapolis fans, Minnesota fans seem to love Dave Chappelle. I mean, you sell out within 20 minutes when you announced your Avenue shows.

Chappelle: Uh, how do people treat me when I’m like walking around? … Great, man. As a matter of fact, no one really bothers me. People talk to me, they say hi, sometimes do a little camera phone picture but for the most part, I’d say people been really nice. They’ve been great. I don’t expect much, you know what I mean? When I go out, what am I supposed to … as long as they stay within the certain parameters. I dunno. It’s been cool.

Chapman: One of our viewers had a question — she wants to know, what will you take away from Minnesota when you leave?

Chappelle: That’s a good question. Lots of culture here — you know, we mentioned Prince but the whole music scene here, this idea that the crowds here, you can tell they see live entertainment a lot. The way the crowds behaves, you can tell it’s a standout city in that respect. Some people they’ll come, especially if they’ve seen you on television, and they’ll go crazy as if you’re on television still, like you can’t hear them or see them. The crowds here, the etiquette of the audience is impeccable.

Dana White also offers kind words for Minneapolis: "Fans here are awesome. The first time I had to come here, I was like, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than come to Minneapolis, Minnesota. And I landed her about midnight and I told my buddy, I said, 'You wanna go kick around the city a little bit to see what's like: We were out till 4 o'clock in the morning and I swear to God, I had the best time ever. This is a really cool city, seriously, no bull****, it's America's best kept secret."

I think a lot of people have this really bad impression. They get here, spend some time, then generally walk away very pleased. The reputation of the winters just really hurts perception.

I've been stationed all over, and I've never missed any place more than Minnesota, I know I'm biased, because I grew up there, but there is nothing like Minnesota in any context. The people, the atmosphere, everything. It's an amazing place, from Bemidji to Duluth, Moorhead to St Cloud, Mankato to Minneapolis, I love it there, and I can't wait to be back. And I hope every player thinks this too, just send Lavine and Wiggins on to dinky town, that's all we need to do. Haha.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,934

Post#53 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 am

Sakuragi_ wrote:Today I was playing some ball with a dude visiting from Seattle.. who also happened to go to the rival school of Zach LaVine.

He was talking about how nobody wants to play in Minnesota and how Zach is leaving as soon as possible. I responded with 'at least we got a team'.. dude looked pretty salty when I said that.

Just letting you guys know I'm in these streets doing work.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jclong/status/499392876250681344[/tweet]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#54 » by MinneOOPalis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:31 am

Got a black sleeved Rubes jersey at the Mall of America today! :^) Pretty sure its the first Wolves gear I've bought. Probably going to go to a bunch of games this year so I gotta look good.

One thing I noticed is that all the sports stores barely had Wolves gear. If they did it was marked down and in the farthest corner of the store. There were even more Minnesota Swarm (lacrosse team) jerseys than Wolves stuff at one store. I originally went in for a Lavine jersey but the guy at the register said they don't get jerseys for new players, they still had over 30 Ponder Jerseys in the back. :lol:

Also there was some boy band performing there and the screeching of teenage girls was almost unbearable.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,934

Post#55 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:26 am

So, this happened...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1341098
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#56 » by Murphs56 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:14 am

Winning cures everything.
LoboGris
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#57 » by LoboGris » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:24 am

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Larry-Fitzgeralds-Minnesota-Love-Affair/e3cb0f7e-7c09-45bf-944a-455fa6ef7747

Ran across this article about one of my favorite athletes which reinforces what I was saying about how Minnesota treats its stars.

The article details lots of great things about Minnesota (especially in the summer) and then finishes up with this quote

“I’ll go to Rainbow Foods (a grocery store) and people will see me and you can see them (thinking), ‘He looks familiar, but not so familiar to say anything to him so I’ll leave him alone.’ I can go about my business. I like that I can blend in. I’m just another person walking the streets.”

Also, Larry Fitzgerald is the best.
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Post#58 » by Minnesota Power » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Sakuragi_ wrote:Got a black sleeved Rubes jersey at the Mall of America today! :^) Pretty sure its the first Wolves gear I've bought. Probably going to go to a bunch of games this year so I gotta look good.

One thing I noticed is that all the sports stores barely had Wolves gear. If they did it was marked down and in the farthest corner of the store. There were even more Minnesota Swarm (lacrosse team) jerseys than Wolves stuff at one store. I originally went in for a Lavine jersey but the guy at the register said they don't get jerseys for new players, they still had over 30 Ponder Jerseys in the back. :lol:

Also there was some boy band performing there and the screeching of teenage girls was almost unbearable.

Was it Pro Image by any chance? My cousin used to work there few years back. Great store
I want to move back to Minnesota, I miss it sooooo much! :cry:
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#59 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:06 am

Klomp wrote:So, this happened...

yea...I'm coming to the slow realization that I might actually hate realgm. A lot of posts where guys are just trying to get a rise out of people using fake controversy, uninformed arrogance, and just a general lack of independent thought where people parrot other **** they heard or read somewhere.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,331

Post#60 » by Calinks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:40 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Klomp wrote:So, this happened...

yea...I'm coming to the slow realization that I might actually hate realgm. A lot of posts where guys are just trying to get a rise out of people using fake controversy, uninformed arrogance, and just a general lack of independent thought where people parrot other **** they heard or read somewhere.

One of the reasons why I pretty much exclusively stick the the wolves board.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves