ImageImageImage

Stephen A Smith says Twolves dropped the ball

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mikchek
Sixth Man
And1: 5

Stephen A Smith says Twolves dropped the ball 

Post#1 » by Mikchek » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:07 pm

he swears up and down that we could have gotten Klay, David Lee, and Harrison Barnes or we could have gotten more from Cleveland if we traded before the draft....

I agree that we could have gotten more before the draft (waiters) BUT I don't think getting the 2 first round pics from the last 2 years as dropping the ball. we have a young core that is looking pretty sexy...
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Re: Stephen A Smith says Twolves dropped the ball 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:10 pm

We couldn't have gotten more before the draft. We couldn't have gotten Wiggins.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#3 » by packforfreedom » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:11 pm

Mikchek wrote:he swears up and down that we could have gotten Klay, David Lee, and Harrison Barnes or we could have gotten more from Cleveland if we traded before the draft....

I agree that we could have gotten more before the draft (waiters) BUT I don't think getting the 2 first round pics from the last 2 years as dropping the ball. we have a young core that is looking pretty sexy...

well, except nobody wants waiters.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#4 » by Swish4 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:11 pm

I remember Stephon Smith saying before the draft that the Wolves would likely not be able to even get Wiggins in the deal. He's very anti-Minnesota (and deep down I think we all know why). He'll never, ever have anyhing positive to say about Minnesota.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#5 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:14 pm

Who cares about what Stephen A Smith said ?
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#6 » by wildvikeswolves » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:21 pm

Mikchek wrote:he swears up and down that we could have gotten Klay, David Lee, and Harrison Barnes or we could have gotten more from Cleveland if we traded before the draft....

of course we could have, but why the **** would we want that deal over what we got?

Stephen A. Smith = :crazy: :banghead:
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#7 » by funkatron101 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:21 pm

TWolves say Stephen A. Smith dropped the ball.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#8 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:22 pm

Your first mistake was watching First Take or Stephen A. Smith or Skip Bayless.

Your second mistake was actually caring what their opinions are.

Your third mistake was watching First Take or Stephen A. Smith or Skip Bayless.
Antrim
Sixth Man
And1: 703

Post#9 » by Antrim » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:26 pm

This is ridiculous.

Wolves just had the best return trade for a disgruntled superstar EVER. No possible discussion here.

Flip should retire LeBron's number right away. :lol:
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#10 » by Nitroglycerin » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:52 pm

atleast we have balls. Does SAS have any? :lol:
Trust the PRosas!
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#11 » by guest81 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:56 pm

Antrim wrote:This is ridiculous.

Wolves just had the best return trade for a disgruntled superstar EVER. No possible discussion here.

We won't know if that's true or not for a few years. I mean if Wiggins turns out to be Corey Brewer then wouldn't it be like the worst trade?
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#12 » by Left Side Drive » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:59 pm

Nah you guys made the right move. Lee, Barnes and Klay is a bunch of solid players together but no true superstar. With Wiggins you have that chance. Plus you can mold Wiggins and Bennett to fit your system as they are young and impressionable.
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#13 » by pilprin » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:09 pm

The problem with the GS trade is Klay Thompson puts you right back in the same situation as Love. Barnes and Lee are not as good or at least not significantly better than Bennett and the 1st rounder.

Will the 1st rounder or Bennett be flipped to Philly?
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#14 » by Sothron » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:11 pm

Even if we did have that offer from GSW, which btw I do believe because when SAS puts his name out there to a NBA rumor he's almost always proved right, I still would rather take Wiggins. David Lee is a stat padder, Barnes was supposed to be "the next one" and he can't even start on GSW. Klay is a good player but he'll want a max deal and frankly he could easily leave us.

Wiggins at least has the chance to be special. None of those players from GSW are special.
Antrim
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Antrim » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:12 pm

guest81 wrote:

We won't know if that's true or not for a few years. I mean if Wiggins turns out to be Corey Brewer then wouldn't it be like the worst trade?

No. Looking at the returns that teams have gotten in recent history for their superstars about to bolt, this is unreal.

If Wiggins and Bennett turn out to be absolutely awful players and destroy any current predictions, doesn't mean anything.

The trade is incredible because Wiggins value is tremendously high RIGHT NOW. If you trade 2 good roleplayers for LeBron and LeBron has a career ending injury the next day, the trade was still unreal at the time.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#16 » by Krapinsky » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:16 pm

Here's the way Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless work. With every news story that comes out, one of them has to take a contrarian viewpoint so that they can bicker back and forth. Somehow, millions of Americans find this manufactured conjecture entertaining. I'm not one of them.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by guest81 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:21 pm

Antrim wrote:
guest81 wrote:

No. Looking at the returns that teams have gotten in recent history for their superstars about to bolt, this is unreal.

If Wiggins and Bennett turn out to be absolutely awful players and destroy any current predictions, doesn't mean anything.

The trade is incredible because Wiggins value is tremendously high RIGHT NOW. If you trade 2 good roleplayers for LeBron and LeBron has a career ending injury the next day, the trade was still unreal at the time.

The real difference is that the other teams went for quantity for quality. The upside is lower, but the downside is much higher. Let's face it, Bennett and a late first really doesn't mean squat. If Wiggins turns out, great, if he doesn't, then the Wolves got nothing.
Antrim
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Antrim » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:32 pm

guest81 wrote:The real difference is that the other teams went for quantity for quality. The upside is lower, but the downside is much higher. Let's face it, Bennett and a late first really doesn't mean squat. If Wiggins turns out, great, if he doesn't, then the Wolves got nothing.

They didn't go for quantity, they were forced. They HAD to trade their superstars, didn't have many options (only those teams where the superstars would agree to an extension or teams that decided to take a risk -LAL-), and took the best trade available which in pretty much every case was absolutely ****.

It's not like ORL, DEN, NOH had the option of getting a prospect of Wiggins caliber and simply chose to get a bunch of solid roleplayers instead, because "the downside is higher".

They just didn't have LeBron in the other line acting as de facto GM.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#19 » by mg » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:39 pm

Damn good thing SAS isn't an NBA GM. You have to take a prospect like Wiggins who has star potential over a bunch of role players. Everyone says Denver got a good deal for Melo but 3 years later it doesn't look so good anymore. Gallo and Chandler are nice role players but you need at least one star to win big in the NBA.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by guest81 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:46 pm

Antrim wrote:
guest81 wrote:The real difference is that the other teams went for quantity for quality. The upside is lower, but the downside is much higher. Let's face it, Bennett and a late first really doesn't mean squat. If Wiggins turns out, great, if he doesn't, then the Wolves got nothing.

They didn't go for quantity, they were forced. They HAD to trade their superstars, didn't have many options (only those teams where the superstars would agree to an extension or teams that decided to take a risk -LAL-), and took the best trade available which in pretty much every case was absolutely ****.

It's not like ORL, DEN, NOH had the option of getting a prospect of Wiggins caliber and simply chose to get a bunch of solid roleplayers instead, because "the downside is higher".

They just didn't have LeBron in the other line acting as de facto GM.

Ill use an analogy on how I think Wolves should feel.

Wolves committed a crime (I:E superstar wants out), that the punishment is usually 50 years in jail (IE returns for star players). Somehow the Wolves attorney (Flip) convinces the judge to let the Wolves be eligible for parole in 20 years. Sure we might be able to be free earlier, but were still going to jail and the Wolves haven't shown they can be on their best behavior to get that parole

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves