ImageImageImage

Your expectations for the Wolves for the next few years?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Re: Your expectations for the Wolves for the next few years? 

Post#21 » by MinneOOPalis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:21 am

Calinks wrote:I dont think Rubio can elevate their games that highly. Only way I see us getting 30 wins is if we play some very good defense.

Our defense can only get better with Thad, Wiggins, and less K-mart. We could end up being some super efficient offense that scores in transition and chucks up a lot of threes.
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#22 » by Steve_Holiday » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:41 am

I don't think I've seen too many 25-30 win teams that I considered "fun to watch"...
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#23 » by Jukeness » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:02 am

Better defense and better energy.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#24 » by southern wolf » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 am

Another losing season.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#25 » by Basti » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am

This is more based on hope than expectation but this is what I'd like to see and be somewhat realistic

- Ricky to take the next step and show consistent offensive production while raising his shooting numbers from meh to "that'll count as average if I had a few beers"
- glimpses of what Lavine and Wiggins can bring to the table in a few years. They don't have to be consistent (which they probably won't anyway) but I'd love to see some games where they'll show their talent and give us (false) hope
- Pek with reduced minutes so he can play 70+ games
- Dieng to be able to replicate his late last season's surge (at least per minute)
- Brewer to show that his offensive game isn't just leaking out for outlet passes from Love
- Martin to not just think of his own shot
- Barea to only touch the floor of Target Center 2, best case scenario 1 time this season
Crazomali
RealGM
And1: 38,984

Post#26 » by Crazomali » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:48 pm

MIN realgm, watch your team book a ticket to the playoffs. I believe :nod: I have great expectations for wiggins. I'm really glad that he is leaving cleveland to become his own man in minnesota.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#27 » by Dewey » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Flip is motivated ... This team will be highly motivated. Our raw talent will be as high or higher than ever. Relief of moving past the "Coddle Love" affair and play ball will set in after the deal is finalized. The players remaining are well aware we need to replace Loves 25/12, and along with the newcomers, they all will see the opportunity. It just takes that one guy to take ownership and lead a team, and that can change an entire culture. OKC? Please ... they're nothing without KD - that one guy.

This is the first time I will be reinvesting in season tickets since KG was here ... the entertainment will be sweet. 30 wins? ... 40 wins? ... more? I like how we're sitting. I trust Flip. Flip isn't a big prima donna guy, but he does like players who are gamers, know their roles, and play both ways. We all do - its coming. The losers can cry at home in front of the tv
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#28 » by slicedbread2 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:14 am

To be honest, I'll be realistic:

-Hopefully they deal with their clutter of wing players as 1-2 of Martin/Brewer/Budinger has to go in order to give Lavine, Wiggins, Muhammad and Robinson III as much playing time as possible as I'd want the young guns to get some burn so that the team knows what they have and who will fit and who won't 2-3 years from now.
-Get Barea, Shved and Mbah a Moute out of town. Barea is obvious as after last year, I can't stomach one more year of him. Shved seems like he's done in Minnesota and I'd try to send him to a team with cap space and send cash to said team to cover his buyout.
-Hopefully this team can compete night in and night out and bring on some fun games.
-I don't expect this team to win much more than 30 games as the west will be a real grindhouse. 22-30 if your lucky.
-Hopefully Taylor has sold the team to a Minnesota based group that will keep the team here. Hey, if the Bucks were sold for $550 million and Taylor decides he wants out of ownership, he's drooling over that number and could get 600 minimum for them.
-A playoff team with a stable core that will at least make some noise within 2-3 years.
-Draft a good power forward that could round out the starting core if Young or Bennett either leave or fail to take over.
-Get a better bench.

Other than that, I think I'm good.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#29 » by minimus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:07 am

I expect:
1) more trades. 1st series (Shved, Mbah, Barea) 2nd series (Budinger, Martin, Brewer, Pek)
2) less half court, more open court offense
3) really bad defense
4) another year of same Rubio: no jump shot, a lot of alley oops
5) 10+ good games to remember
6) inconsistent Dieng play if we don't trade Pek
7) GRIII, Lavine in the 2nd rookie team
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#30 » by packforfreedom » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:39 am

I expect:

A team that is fun to watch, and that has fun playing with each other

Rubio will have 10+ assists/g

LaVine is much more ready than many people think

We'll have one of the better benches of the league

We'll be one the the better defensive teams of the league

at least one of our rookies will make the 1st rookie team

no tanking

Flip Saunders will reestablish himself as one of the better coaches of the league

We'll win more than 35 games
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#31 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:58 pm

top7 pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.
between 12-14th in the West.
There is 0 chance that they even compete for the PO in the current West.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#32 » by Dual » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Never say never :P
I believe we can compete for playoffs just the same that last year, we lose Love, but we also gain a bench, which is really important during the season. And also not Adelman running the TEAM, he was so bad last season that remember it Almost make me cry.
I believe we finish 10th, Dieng really improve his game, Pek become a Star, Wiggins ROY, Ricky 10+ assists per game.
alexlgnd
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#33 » by alexlgnd » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Fischella wrote:top7 pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.
between 12-14th in the West.
There is 0 chance that they even compete for the PO in the current West.

Says bandwagon McGee. I suppose I can say your list of favorite teams is nothing short of eclectic.
eroomlladnar
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#34 » by eroomlladnar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Watching UK on ESPNU now. Karl Towns is incredible and can probably play the 4
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#35 » by C.lupus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:58 pm

40 wins last year
minus 10 wins for downgrading from Love to Young
plus 3 wins for replacing Adelman with Flip
plus 2 wins for upgrading Barea
plus 2 win for general improvement from Rubio, Dieng, and bench
minus 4 wins for tougher Western conference
equals 33 wins next year.

That seems about right, give or take a couple wins. If they don't get Young and Bennett starts then knock off a few more wins.
eroomlladnar
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#36 » by eroomlladnar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Well, maybe not...

@chadfordinsider: If Karl Towns plays like this all year, he’s got a shot at the No. 1 pick. 19 pts, 10 rebs, 3 asts vs. Chalons-Reims today. He’s special.
Otis
Analyst
And1: 35

Post#37 » by Otis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Short of bill Musselman pulling himself out of the grave, I don't see this team getting more than 27 wins.

Look for the rookies to show serious promise in the early season and to slowly degrade in performance through the 82 game grind.

Rubio will be the same. Pek will be less effective but get more touches and average a double-double. Whoever plays PF will be playing against a better player in every Western Conference Game.

Somebody will shred a knee or an achilles tendon.

We will keep our draft pick.
Look for Wiggins to make first team all-rookie and be in discussion for ROY. Lavine just might bust.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#38 » by Feilong » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Feilong wrote: i project without any additional significant moves to win 31-33 games.

C.lupus wrote:40 wins last year
minus 10 wins for downgrading from Love to Young
plus 3 wins for replacing Adelman with Flip
plus 2 wins for upgrading Barea
plus 2 win for general improvement from Rubio, Dieng, and bench
minus 4 wins for tougher Western conference
equals 33 wins next year.

That seems about right, give or take a couple wins. If they don't get Young and Bennett starts then knock off a few more wins.

Telepathy or similar thinking?
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#39 » by TMo519 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:21 pm

The quirky thing about this team from last year is they undershot their win total based on so many metrics. They did only win 40, but numbers said they probably should have won closer to 48-50 games. While I get that you are what your record says, when trying to project things, I think it's important to note that this team probably underperformed a bit, and I do take that into account a little bit.

But at the same time I don't know how one projects this team next year. While many pieces remain, the changes that took place are so critical (Losing Love, new coach in Flip, two new rookies who MIGHT be big contributors and are big unknown pieces), I wouldn't be surprised to see this team win anywhere from 25-45 games next season. If I were taking a guess at this moment, assuming we get Thad Young, I'd probably agree with something like 33 wins. Rubio will probably be the biggest wild card in whether we are pleasantly surprised, or suck as expected. How he handles this year will be interesting since he's already said he's not interested in a big rebuild. If we get off to a rocky start, does it spiral down?
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#40 » by Flight33 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Championship.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves