ImageImageImage

Do you think KG was underrated when in Minnesota?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mffl_14
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Re: Do you think KG was underrated when in Minnesota? 

Post#21 » by mffl_14 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Klomp wrote:Underrated nationally, but certainly not locally.

From an outsiders perspective I have to disagree. Obviously I'm sure he got his love locally but I think KG was recognized nationally for the mega superstar he was in Minnesota. I think exposure today is so much different than what it used to be even when KG first started. With Minnesota not being one of the bigger markets I'm sure the way he got exposure didn't seem like what you guys expected he should get but from my perspective in Dallas he got his just due. Honestly if anything I think he got "overrated" while he was in Boston.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#22 » by Mattya » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:22 pm

The only year he wasn't underrated in Minnesota was his MVP year.
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#23 » by gold0259 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:41 pm

1997 Googs allstar, Steph, and Kg. No way Kg could have replaced Duncan on SAS. Look at how many more games/minutes Tim Duncan has played than KG, and look his is still going strong, and KG looks like a burned out Boxer just hanging around and injury prone.
KG was great but over rated, and due to his Salary demands we couldn't surround him with better players, so his demands handcuffed the wolves so. kmgarnett21 SMFVH, my opinion in mine. Those comments only belittle yourself.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#24 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:09 pm

So now people are using one year of Gugliotta and a brief stint with a young and selfish Marbury to say KG had great/competent teammates in Minnesota? I'm not even gonna try....
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#25 » by Saltine » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:29 pm

It was KG and Wally, the rest was always a crapshoot... McHale is a horrible GM.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#26 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Garnett was absolutely underrated. He gained more notoriety for what he did in Boston, despite being a clearly inferior player there, than he was in Minnesota.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#27 » by wolfv » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:03 pm

I don't think so at all. KG was one of the most popular athletes when he was in Minnesota. I don't live in the states but he was always on the highlights here in Canada. Everyone knew how great prime KG was, the talk was always "give him some good players to play with"
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Post#28 » by Minnesota Power » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:57 pm

NO NO NO NO Garnett is like the only Timberwolves player ever that everyone knows, regardless whether or not your a fan of the team or basketball. My elementary school at the time had some kind of Milk Poster with Garnett on it. Now in 2014 how much do you hear about the Wolves and how many advertisements do you see? None. Go ask 100 non basketball fans if they know who Rubio or Love is, most likely not. You could actually find Timberwolves gear in stores back then. Now I have to go to some specialty sports memorabilia store in a mall, and even then they barely have anything compared to the Vikings or Twins!
I want to move back to Minnesota, I miss it sooooo much! :cry:
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#29 » by Swish4 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:11 pm

I just wish we had cleared cap space and added 1 other star to play beside him instead of all the midling players we surrounded him with.
Ajohnson85
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#30 » by Ajohnson85 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:47 pm

gold0259 wrote:KG and Kevin Love basically had the same situation, both great players but couldn't get it done on their own. Needed the "big three" for kg to succeed twice in his career.

Thats a rookie comment....Garnett at least brought those terrible teams to the playoffs every year.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#31 » by Mattya » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:30 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Garnett was absolutely underrated. He gained more notoriety for what he did in Boston, despite being a clearly inferior player there, than he was in Minnesota.

So much this.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#32 » by kmgarnett21 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:51 pm

Anyone else still wonder what could've been if Iverson was traded to Minnesota? I'm not an AI fan at all, but I think if there was one perfect All-Star caliber teammate for AI, it was KG. I think they would've been a great 1-2 duo. And this was before AI's downfall years with the Nuggets, Grizzlies, etc, etc...

It's been so long ago, I can't even remember what year the rumors of AI-to-MN were discussed.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 558

Post#33 » by TwolvesFanRome » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 am

Saltine wrote:It was KG and Wally, the rest was always a crapshoot... McHale is a horrible GM.

:clap:
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#34 » by gold0259 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:57 pm

Ajohnson85 wrote:
gold0259 wrote:KG and Kevin Love basically had the same situation, both great players but couldn't get it done on their own. Needed the "big three" for kg to succeed twice in his career.

Thats a rookie comment....Garnett at least brought those terrible teams to the playoffs every year.

KG had the talent, had a voice in who was brought in. Also the West wasn't nearly as difficult back in the KG wolves era, as it is today. GS, OKC, LAC, HOU.

Try again rookie, you have like 40 posts SMVMFH :noway:
YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#35 » by YaleS » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Give me definition of underrated, only then this topic makes sence.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#36 » by guest81 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:22 am

gold0259 wrote:1997 Googs allstar, Steph, and Kg. No way Kg could have replaced Duncan on SAS. Look at how many more games/minutes Tim Duncan has played than KG, and look his is still going strong, and KG looks like a burned out Boxer just hanging around and injury prone.
KG was great but over rated, and due to his Salary demands we couldn't surround him with better players, so his demands handcuffed the wolves so. kmgarnett21 SMFVH, my opinion in mine. Those comments only belittle yourself.

KG's played more games and avg more minutes then Duncan....
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#37 » by GreenBloodedC » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:30 am

gold0259 wrote:
Ajohnson85 wrote:

KG had the talent, had a voice in who was brought in. Also the West wasn't nearly as difficult back in the KG wolves era, as it is today. GS, OKC, LAC, HOU.

What?! The West was not as difficult as it is today?

Dirk, Nash, Finley's big 3 and Webber's Kings would have a good shot at making the finals in today's era. Even Sheed's Trailblazers would be a legit contender in this era. The only reason none of those teams made it was because the Lakers and Spurs were just too damn good.

2 all time greats were in their prime in Shaq and Duncan back then, and their teams were absolutely stacked. Those were the teams you need to get past if you want any shot at contending.

You fumbled the moment you said Love and KG were in the same situation. As someone already said, in KG's Twolves days, you could not ask for more. It seemed that he has done everything he could, and it was his teammates and the management that failed him (not that he pointed his fingers at anyone) Whereas in Love, you would like to see more from him to take the team into the next level.

Now, I'm gonna leave the debating to all the Twolves fans.
King Stannis
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#38 » by King Stannis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:29 am

I didn't live in MN when KG had his run. I lived in CO and FL. I can tell he certainly wasn't underrated in those locales.

He received criticism much in the way Love did insofar as not taking his team far (most years). Of course, learned fans will know that it takes a team, rather than one great player, to win consistently.
Bend the knee.

YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#39 » by YaleS » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:55 am

King Stannis wrote:I didn't live in MN when KG had his run. I lived in CO and FL. I can tell he certainly wasn't underrated in those locales.

He received criticism much in the way Love did insofar as not taking his team far (most years). Of course, learned fans will know that it takes a team, rather than one great player, to win consistently.

Go preach it to ESPN First take :D
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#40 » by guest81 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:49 pm

GreenBloodedC wrote:
gold0259 wrote:
Ajohnson85 wrote:

What?! The West was not as difficult as it is today?

Dirk, Nash, Finley's big 3 and Webber's Kings would have a good shot at making the finals in today's era. Even Sheed's Trailblazers would be a legit contender in this era. The only reason none of those teams made it was because the Lakers and Spurs were just too damn good.

2 all time greats were in their prime in Shaq and Duncan back then, and their teams were absolutely stacked. Those were the teams you need to get past if you want any shot at contending.

You fumbled the moment you said Love and KG were in the same situation. As someone already said, in KG's Twolves days, you could not ask for more. It seemed that he has done everything he could, and it was his teammates and the management that failed him (not that he pointed his fingers at anyone) Whereas in Love, you would like to see more from him to take the team into the next level.

Now, I'm gonna leave the debating to all the Twolves fans.

Well outside the spree/cassell year, the most wins the Wolves had was 51 which I think made them the 4th seed. Today they would of been the 7th seed. They also had years where they won like 45 and 47 games and still made the playoffs when they wouldn't of last year. I think they made the playoffs being under .500 once but I'm not positive.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves