ImageImageImage

Zach Lavine: Steal of the Year?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Re: Zach Lavine: Steal of the Year? 

Post#21 » by YaleS » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Don`t wanna be an ****, but why alot of people like to play pseudo pshychology with young prospects. I srsly doubt you`ve spend 1 min with the guy and you draw conclusions from nothing. And good players are often cocky, so whats the problem with that?
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#22 » by Sugarless » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:21 pm

YaleS wrote:Don`t wanna be an ****, but why alot of people like to play pseudo pshychology with young prospects. I srsly doubt you`ve spend 1 min with the guy and you draw conclusions from nothing. And good players are often cocky, so whats the problem with that?

I don't want to be an *** either, but you should really study some psychology yourself if you have the chance (as in many other matters, everyone should have some basics, the world would be a better place).

Nevertheless, you don't have to be a psychologist (although I studied it for 4 years before moving to work in a different field, FWIW) and spend time with a guy to know whether he's cocky or not. Plus, no one here is drawing any conclusions: I have reasonable *doubts*, I don't pretend to hold the truth, and I hope you don't either. Let's pull for him to have a nice rookie season and show that he's got his feet on the ground (except on transition, receiving lobs from Ricky :wink: ), and that's all.
YaleS
Sophomore

Post#23 » by YaleS » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Sugarless wrote:
YaleS wrote:Don`t wanna be an ****, but why alot of people like to play pseudo pshychology with young prospects. I srsly doubt you`ve spend 1 min with the guy and you draw conclusions from nothing. And good players are often cocky, so whats the problem with that?

I don't want to be an *** either, but you should really study some psychology yourself if you have the chance (as in many other matters, everyone should have some basics, the world would be a better place).

Nevertheless, you don't have to be a psychologist (although I studied it for 4 years before moving to work in a different field, FWIW) and spend time with a guy to know whether he's cocky or not. Plus, no one here is drawing any conclusions: I have reasonable *doubts*, I don't pretend to hold the truth, and I hope you don't either. Let's pull for him to have a nice rookie season and show that he's got his feet on the ground (except on transition, receiving lobs from Ricky :wink: ), and that's all.

I actually care and read about psych. and yeah i`m high on Zach and ofc wish him the best. And if we talk about cocky(good or bad decide for yourself) i see alot more in Wiggs than Zach but nvm.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#24 » by TwolvesFanRome » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:04 am

Surely rodman seemed a little crazier than him at first sight. or not? We can say it with confidence? :D :D
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
InfraRen
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#25 » by InfraRen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:42 pm

LaVine sure does seem like he has everything to be a star one day. The athleticism, the shot (when he's not taking bad ones) the cockiness, and from what Flip says, the drive. Also showed a willingness (at times) to attack the rim during SL.

If he can add some muscle and grows as we hope, he'll be a very good scorer.

Also:

If your heart's filled with faith then you can't fear.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#26 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:04 am

I can't find the words to say how dam excited I am about Zach. I rated him exactly the same as Flip as the 7th best prospect in the draft and he was my number one target all year, I can't believe he fell to us and that Flip actually took him. I love his athletic gifts but more so his ability to think the game, handle and shoot the ball, play unselfishly and get his own shot. I loved seeing his ability and chemistry with Fesenko in summer league, getting him several lay ups and gimmies with his passing and vision which I think bodes well for his relationship and chemistry with Pek. I think if he can put on some weight and keep working on that mid range fade while also being able to drive and collapse defenses he's going to be deadly and an all star. This off season has really been a dream come true relative to knowing Love was out.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#27 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:44 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:I can't find the words to say how dam excited I am about Zach. I rated him exactly the same as Flip as the 7th best prospect in the draft and he was my number one target all year, I can't believe he fell to us and that Flip actually took him. I love his athletic gifts but more so his ability to think the game, handle and shoot the ball, play unselfishly and get his own shot. I loved seeing his ability and chemistry with Fesenko in summer league, getting him several lay ups and gimmies with his passing and vision which I think bodes well for his relationship and chemistry with Pek. I think if he can put on some weight and keep working on that mid range fade while also being able to drive and collapse defenses he's going to be deadly and an all star. This off season has really been a dream come true relative to knowing Love was out.

I thought Fesenko,Shved, and Heslip were there to simulate Lavine playing with a Pek,Rubio, and Mo
(Pek=Fez, Rubio=Shved, Moe=Heslip)
Trust the PRosas!
White Wolf
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#28 » by White Wolf » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:57 pm

My first personality impression with Zach wasn't that good after that "**** me", but eventually, after seeing him in the media I think he has the feet on the floor.

But has anyone thought about an scenario of envy between he and Wiggins? It could be that Zack makes better performance than Wiggins, and he could be jelous because all the eyes are on Andrew. Or the opposite, Wiggins make it better but Zach to think he is better player...

With the same bad thoughts could be that Wiggins was jelous of Zach rendiment...

The think is that I see it quite unlike, i bet for them having chemistry and fun together inside and outside the court, but It was a thought that came to my mind.
YaleS
Sophomore

Post#29 » by YaleS » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:01 pm

White Wolf wrote:My first personality impression with Zach wasn't that good after that "**** me", but eventually, after seeing him in the media I think he has the feet on the floor.

But has anyone thought about an scenario of envy between he and Wiggins? It could be that Zack makes better performance than Wiggins, and he could be jelous because all the eyes are on Andrew. Or the opposite, Wiggins make it better but Zach to think he is better player...

With the same bad thoughts could be that Wiggins was jelous of Zach rendiment...

The think is that I see it quite unlike, i bet for them having chemistry and fun together inside and outside the court, but It was a thought that came to my mind.

I read somewhere that he knew weeks before the draft that he was going to us, so that "f me" are not immidiate dissapointment, just emotion
White Wolf
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#30 » by White Wolf » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:18 pm

I read it too, but I still think it was a bad shock reaction, then people in the organisation should hide the truth. But for me it is water under the bridge, and I m sure he really committed with the team and with the project.

Maybe I' m being a bit timbertroll :p
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#31 » by LordBaldric » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 pm

You guys keep mentioning this ephemeral stuff, but what sticks in my mind is that once UCLA stopped playing patsies, LaVine was very mediocre in college. But now he's going to be a great NBA player? We can hope, but I'm not buying it at the moment. I'd rather we had drafted one of his superior teammates that, you know, showed they could actually play basketball at a high level.

Zach also comes across to me as pretty stupid. Every time I see him being interviewed I feel like I'm watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I have much more hope for Bennett than this guy.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#32 » by MinneOOPalis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:57 pm

LordBaldric wrote:You guys keep mentioning this ephemeral stuff, but what sticks in my mind is that once UCLA stopped playing patsies, LaVine was very mediocre in college. But now he's going to be a great NBA player? We can hope, but I'm not buying it at the moment. I'd rather we had drafted one of his superior teammates that, you know, showed they could actually play basketball at a high level.

Zach also comes across to me as pretty stupid. Every time I see him being interviewed I feel like I'm watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

He was the 5th option on his team. Guy had 3 NBA guards already on his team, and an inferior player who happened to be the coaches son handled the ball more than him in the 2nd unit.

There was a lot of behind the scenes stuff that we don't know about. And I'm not sure how stupid a kid is considering he had the focus to play basketball as a job since he was a child and became a millionaire before the age of 20...He isn't the most articulate guy.. but If calling him stupid makes you feel better I guess thats on you.

Also , are you even a Wolves fan? Just curious. Every single one of your posts are either disrespectful or depressing.
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#33 » by Gunny » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Not worried about Zach's performance in college.

I hate to make this comparison, but I remember watching Derrick Rose at Memphis and thinking, "Really? This guy is gonna be the #1 pick? He's not even the best player on his own team." And he wasn't. Chris Douglas-Roberts was the best player on that team. Rose had a broken jumper and coasted at times. He was drafted because of his prototypical PG size and elite athleticism.

Obviously college ball is a different game than the NBA. Some guys translate well, some don't. I see Zach as a guy who will take advantage of his skills.

But I've been wrong many times on this board, so who knows?
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#34 » by LordBaldric » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Sakuragi_ wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:You guys keep mentioning this ephemeral stuff, but what sticks in my mind is that once UCLA stopped playing patsies, LaVine was very mediocre in college. But now he's going to be a great NBA player? We can hope, but I'm not buying it at the moment. I'd rather we had drafted one of his superior teammates that, you know, showed they could actually play basketball at a high level.

He was the 5th option on his team. Guy had 3 NBA guards already on his team, and an inferior player who happened to be the coaches son handled the ball more than him in the 2nd unit.

There was a lot of behind the scenes stuff that we don't know about. And I'm not sure how stupid a kid is considering he had the focus to play basketball as a job since he was a child and became a millionaire before the age of 20...He isn't the most articulate guy.. but If calling him stupid makes you feel better I guess thats on you.

Also , are you even a Wolves fan? Just curious. Every single one of your posts are either disrespectful or depressing.

I praise the team when I think they did something good. I praised Flip on the Love deal. I like Wiggins. I line Thaddius. I'm even somewhat optimistic about Bennett. I liked the GRIII pick. I like Pek. I would praise Flip if he signs Rubio for a reasonable amount. I like Dieng. I'm actually pleased with our young talent for the most part.

Doesn't mean I have to do a 180 on Zach just because we drafted him and say he's some big steal. If I'm wrong and he is you can quote my post above and I'll happily eat a plate of crow. I don't see the point in having a forum where everyone just follows whatever the party line is.

Do you acknowledge that the team has suffered from epic mismanagement lo these many years? These decision makers deserve no benefit of the doubt AFAIK.
funfactor
Junior
And1: 76

Post#35 » by funfactor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 pm

LordBaldric wrote:
Sakuragi_ wrote:

I praise the team when I think they did something good. I praised Flip on the Love deal. I like Wiggins. I line Thaddius. I'm even somewhat optimistic about Bennett. I liked the GRIII pick. I like Pek. I would praise Flip if he signs Rubio for a reasonable amount. I like Dieng. I'm actually pleased with our young talent for the most part.

Doesn't mean I have to do a 180 on Zach just because we drafted him and say he's some big steal. If I'm wrong and he is you can quote my post above and I'll happily eat a plate of crow. I don't see the point in having a forum where everyone just follows whatever the party line is.

Do you acknowledge that the team has suffered from epic mismanagement lo these many years? These decision makers deserve no benefit of the doubt AFAIK.

Maybe it's this wonderful burger that I'm having for dinner speaking (truly amazing believe me) but I think Flip deserves the benefit of the doubt after this summer. He did earn it.
To be cautious it's a good mind state for real life issues, but speaking on a high ceiling rookie player (which I like)... I don't know, let's be optimistic, why not?, let life tell us if it's the other way around. What's the point of cheering for a team if you are frowning all the time?
Which reminds me... How on earth there are still a 76's fun community out there? they are truly heroes!!!
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#36 » by Ericb5 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:05 am

I'm a Sixers fan, but I liked Lavine a lot going into the draft. I ultimately didn't want the Sixers to take him, but that was because we were sitting at 10 at the time. I am happy with Saric over him, but if Saric had been gone at that spot the next player I would have wanted to take is Lavine.

I think that his performance in college should be taken with a grain of salt because he is still very raw. His athleticism is unreal, but he also has a really nice outside shot and a pretty good handle. So on the break he will be a menace, he should be great coming off of screens for jump shots, and he may even develop into someone that can readily make his own shot.

I don't think that he is a point guard long term, but as a scoring guard he has big time potential. It will be up to him to show how much heart he has and how good of a defender he wants to become.

Losing Love for you guys is rough, but i think that you got more value from losing a superstar than anyone has ever gotten in that situation. When a superstar basically makes it known that he wants to leave it always hurts his trade stock, but you guys got back some real talent.

You will be very exciting this year and will hopefully get one of the top picks next year where you can get a big man.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#37 » by gold0259 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:35 pm

He hates any contact when going to the rim. He has no left hand, forcing shots with his right hand, and he takes way too many long 2pt shots with plenty of time on the clock. He will have to be a two way player if he wants to see minutes. High hopes for this kid
TWInsider
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#38 » by TWInsider » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:06 am

Impressive performance.

Trainers really need to teach him a defensive mindset though. It would be sad to see him become a great offensive player and almost a liability on defense.
There are enough players like that in the league and they don’t really help their respective teams.
TWInsider wrote:Don't call Wiggins Wiggy. He is supposed to become our superstar. The leader of the pack.

A guy called Wiggy is not going to make that happen. Call him King Wiggins, A-Wolf or whatever.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,885

Post#39 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:10 pm

I wouldn't call him a defensive liability. He was the only one who could stay in front of Nick Young last night.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TWInsider
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#40 » by TWInsider » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:45 pm

I wouldn't do that either. That’s why I said 'almost'. (And even that could be an exaggeration.)

And maybe I should mention, that he is one of my favorite players on the team, so im not trying to bad-mouth him.

On the GB someone said he made Lin look like Iverson. I would not go that far, not at all. But I really think it must be addressed strongly so he (hopefully) will become the player we all wish and hope for him to become.
TWInsider wrote:Don't call Wiggins Wiggy. He is supposed to become our superstar. The leader of the pack.

A guy called Wiggy is not going to make that happen. Call him King Wiggins, A-Wolf or whatever.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves