Thoughts on Taylor's comments on Love

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Re: Thoughts on Taylor's comments on Love 

Post#21 » by C.lupus » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:46 pm

I've just been around a LOT of elders and retirees, particularly in the last 5 years. In my observations, there is a pretty strong correlation between age and "speaking ones mind". I'm not saying it's senility or that it even applies to Glen Taylor but I do see the general trend in elders that they give much less of a **** about diplomacy than younger folks. I've seen it with my parents, with my in-laws, and with their friends in senior and assisted living communities. It's actually quite entertaining and refreshing.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#22 » by guest81 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:40 pm

C.lupus wrote:My thoughts on Taylor's comments:

Taylor has a history of being candid with his responses to questions. Love has a history of being candid with his responses to questions. They know each other and know each other's personalities. Taylor was asked about the Love trade and responded candidly and he didn't really say anything that was untrue (except maybe the foul-prone comment) and he didn't say it in a negative way. It really should be a non-story.

Should he have said nothing? Yeah, probably, but that isn't who he is. And Love has said and done a lot worse in the past few years.

eh there's a difference between being candid, and just being dumb. Cuban is often very candid, but when he does, he comes off as intelligent. Taylor just comes off as bitter and clueless.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by guest81 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:41 pm

C.lupus wrote:I've just been around a LOT of elders and retirees, particularly in the last 5 years. In my observations, there is a pretty strong correlation between age and "speaking ones mind". I'm not saying it's senility or that it even applies to Glen Taylor but I do see the general trend in elders that they give much less of a **** about diplomacy than younger folks. I've seen it with my parents, with my in-laws, and with their friends in senior and assisted living communities. It's actually quite entertaining and refreshing.

how many of those elders and retirees have their own PR department?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#24 » by jpatrick » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:50 pm

True or not true, the classy thing to publicly wish Kevin well in Cleveland and then talk about how excited you are for our future with Wiggins, etc. What he said comes off as bitter and sour grapes.

That said, outside of shining a bad light on Taylor, this is not that big of a deal for the organization.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#25 » by karch34 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm

jpatrick wrote:True or not true, the classy thing to publicly wish Kevin well in Cleveland and then talk about how excited you are for our future with Wiggins, etc. What he said comes off as bitter and sour grapes.

That said, outside of shining a bad light on Taylor, this is not that big of a deal for the organization.

Agreed. I respect his candor and don't think he meant it as negatively as it sounds. However, sports is a different business and when a star is dealt the media are hoping something like this comes along so they can fan the flames. Players don't necessarily look at the context, they just think "oh the owner bashed a former player, not sure if this is the guy I want to play for". In the big picture, it's not a big deal, but the fact is he should've just reiterated the tweet the PR department sent off that thanked him and wished him well.

I thought Love handled it very well.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#26 » by Saltine » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:19 pm

If I was a 73 year old billionaire I wouldn't give a damn about my PR either :)

Some of you are completely delusional.

Kevin love was being paid $300,000 a week to win basketball games, by Glen Taylor. If anyone has a right to be a bit pissed at Kevin Love, for demanding a trade, especially a punk who didn't have the balls to actually pick up his phone and call him to discuss it, it's Glen.

Love will parrot whatever his agent tells him, because he's a fake, whose far more concerned with his 'brand' then being a decent guy. If you think PR and your 'brand' is more valuable then being an honest dude, you're an idiot as well. ;)
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#27 » by jfg » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Kevin Garnett couldn't make the playoffs by himself, Kobe Bryant couldn't make the playoffs by himself, it's not fair to expect Kevin Love to.

Unless you count Marbury's rookie year as a significant upgrade over the previous system, I would say KG led the Wolves to the playoffs pretty much on his own. He needed other players to go deep into the playoffs. KG mostly benefited from a diluted Western Conference where you could sneak into the playoffs with a mediocre record. He probably would have been gone sooner if he were playing in the current West division.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#28 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:45 pm

jfg wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Kevin Garnett couldn't make the playoffs by himself, Kobe Bryant couldn't make the playoffs by himself, it's not fair to expect Kevin Love to.

Unless you count Marbury's rookie year as a significant upgrade over the previous system, I would say KG led the Wolves to the playoffs pretty much on his own. He needed other players to go deep into the playoffs..

If he could single handedly bring the team to the playoffs, they wouldn't have missed them the last 3 seasons he was here.
jfg wrote: KG mostly benefited from a diluted Western Conference where you could sneak into the playoffs with a mediocre record. He probably would have been gone sooner if he were playing in the current West division.

Not really. Most of the teams KG made the playoffs with won around 50 games.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by guest81 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Saltine wrote:If I was a 73 year old billionaire I wouldn't give a damn about my PR either :)

Some of you are completely delusional.

Kevin love was being paid $300,000 a week to win basketball games, by Glen Taylor. If anyone has a right to be a bit pissed at Kevin Love, for demanding a trade, especially a punk who didn't have the balls to actually pick up his phone and call him to discuss it, it's Glen.

Love will parrot whatever his agent tells him, because he's a fake, whose far more concerned with his 'brand' then being a decent guy. If you think PR and your 'brand' is more valuable then being an honest dude, you're an idiot as well. ;)

Balls, like ripping one of the hardest working players in NBA history for dogging it after you traded him? You think Glen picked up the phone and told him that personally? How about letting Rambis hang on for weeks, after everybody and their mother knew he was going to be fired, so Rambis couldn't look for another job? Granted Rambis isn't a victim, but it was a complete dick move to make.

Love earned every penny of that 300,000 check
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#30 » by Mattya » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Does Love deserve to get ripped? Obviously

Does Glen have the right to feel the way he does? Yes

Should Glen have said what he felt? No

I just don't get where these Love apologists are coming from. :lol:
Twolves1Fan
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#31 » by Twolves1Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:18 pm

I really don't think its a big deal. Taylor was asked a question and answered it. Did it come off as a little bitter or jilted? Yes it did in m opinion.
He was just reflecting on how Big Al handled things when he was traded as opposed to how Love handled it through his agent etc...

Although I am grateful for all the terrific play of Love and I wish him well in Cleveland, I'm not going to spend another minute reflecting anymore. He's not a Timberwolf anymore. Screw him. He's the enemy now just like every other guy who's not on our team!!!
Crap!!! That sound a little like Taylor didn't it? :o :lol:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#32 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:21 pm

I think Taylor deserves to ripped more for being incompetent than Love deserves to ripped for wanting to leave, because if Taylor wasn't so incompetent Love might not want to leave. When Taylor tries to blame someone else he's refusing to acknowledge the real problem.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#33 » by Sothron » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm

No one can disagree that Taylor deserves criticism. But it also is fair to point out that Taylor did the right thing in finally firing Kahn and bringing Flip back. Kevin didn't even give Flip a chance which IMO is the main cause of vitriol from Taylor and other fans (like myself).
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,826

Post#34 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:27 pm

guest81 wrote:Balls, like ripping one of the hardest working players in NBA history for dogging it after you traded him?

:lol: Stop it! Love is not one of the hardest-working players in NBA history.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM

Post#35 » by Mattya » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Klomp wrote:
guest81 wrote:Balls, like ripping one of the hardest working players in NBA history for dogging it after you traded him?

:lol: Stop it! Love is not one of the hardest-working players in NBA history.

He works hard... Just not on defense, or when the refs don't give him every call.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mattya » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:34 pm

If Love was one of the hardest workers in NBA history we wouldn't have seen the defense we saw in 2012-2013 and especially the end of 2013-2014.

I remember watch Glen freaking Davis blaze past Kevin Love on the fast break in 2012-2013.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#37 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Sothron wrote:No one can disagree that Taylor deserves criticism. But it also is fair to point out that Taylor did the right thing in finally firing Kahn and bringing Flip back. Kevin didn't even give Flip a chance which IMO is the main cause of vitriol from Taylor and other fans (like myself).

I don't understand why Love would be expected to wait around and see if Flip is more competent than Kahn. It's not like Flip is Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich or someone who's proven consistent success. His contract expires next year, so if he's going to look for a better situation, now is the time.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#38 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Mattya wrote:If Love was one of the hardest workers in NBA history we wouldn't have seen the defense we saw in 2012-2013 and especially the end of 2013-2014.

I remember watch Glen freaking Davis blaze past Kevin Love on the fast break in 2012-2013.

I don't know how hard he works, but I've never seen player play farther above his supposed ceiling.
Twolves1Fan
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#39 » by Twolves1Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:38 pm

No doubt Taylor and Kahn effed up a multitude of things including Love's extension. They both deserve all the criticism in the world for that.
And to be fair, I think Love handled Taylor's comments well. He didn't get into a pissing match with the old dude.
And I happen to agree with Love in that we should all be concentrating on all of these talented young kids we just got and put Love in the rear view mirror and just move on.
As I said in an earlier post....Love is not a Wolf anymore, therefore he's the enemy!!!
Mattya
RealGM

Post#40 » by Mattya » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Mattya wrote:If Love was one of the hardest workers in NBA history we wouldn't have seen the defense we saw in 2012-2013 and especially the end of 2013-2014.

I don't know how hard he works, but I've never seen player play farther above his supposed ceiling.

This is true, but if he truly was this hard worker, his defense wouldn't be that bad.

It is either he just doesn't care about defense or doesn't put any effort into it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves