ImageImageImage

How important is the Coach?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

How important is the Coach? 

Post#1 » by TwolvesFanRome » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 am

I would like to start a debate on our coach. For you he is the best coach possible for our team? Do not believe that a coach more in vogue can open an era?

How Flip affects on the performance and results of Twoles that are springing up?

Would you like another coach? if yes, which one? What for you is the most adapted to the new game that will inevitably interpret the TWolves?

May Flip be an obstacle to the results?
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Re: How important is the Coach? 

Post#2 » by YaleS » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:49 am

The thing i like about the current situation is that our coach and gm can`t disagree (well mental illnesses are real ,but..) , so Flip can`t blame it on the guys around him. He has the tools to put exactly the players (closest possible ofc) he wants for his system. How good a coach he is I don`t know, who has been watching Washington?
White Wolf
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#3 » by White Wolf » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:13 am

The coach is important, not as much because a good coach rise the level, but as a bad coach can destroy a team. My opinion is that Flip could be a bit old fashioned in the nowadays basketball coaching trends, but i' m sure his assistants are going to fill that gap.
The impression I have of him is that he is a leader, he is respected by players and he knows how to deal the egos and the conflicts, so I m sure he is going to be a great coach.

Winter is coming!
Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#4 » by Ice32 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

I think George Karl would have been great for this team - similar to his run n gun Sonics and Nuggets, plenty of athletes and transition scoring

Lionel Hollins would have been great to.

But I would like to see what Flip can do with this team, I expect he's going to let Rubio run this team, and by run, I mean run, run, run.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by TwolvesFanRome » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 pm

The first purpose of the team should be RUN and GUN. Saunders would be able to put it in the court?

I hope. According to me, just as it says Ice 32, George Karl would be ideal pilot of this "machine".
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#6 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 pm

George Karl (@CoachKarl22): This is the steal of the century for the Cavs.

To give up Love for Wiggins, Bennett, Young and a first-round pick is crazy to me. With Wiggins, you're only talking about potential. You're not yet talking about productivity. Yeah, I think he goes on to be good. But this bothers me: He is a young player, and if any of a number of things happen -- he gets injured, the team is the wrong fit, he gets bitter about the game, doesn't have the passion, doesn't have the love . . . There's a significant chance he might not even be an All-Star, just because that's the way things work.

Bennett, I'm sorry, I saw him play in the summer league, and he was goofy, man. Yeah, he has physical tools. But he's got to be trained. He doesn't have the highest basketball IQ and commitment. So if you're the Cavs, and you give both those guys up and a future No. 1 pick, and you don't have to give up Anderson Varejao or Dion Waiters, and you actually get another team to give up a guy like Young -- I mean, I'm thinking this is a conspiracy! As if the league is making this happen because LeBron James threatened to boycott the league if Love didn't get traded to Cleveland and have a great team or something like that!

Karl: I want a player! I want a guy I can play! You have to understand, with the Carmelo Anthony trade, we got five players. We got [Raymond] Felton, we got Wilson Chandler, we got Gallo [Danilo Gallinari], we got Timofey Mozgov, we got Kosta Koufos, and we got picks. I think for Minnesota, to only get three players out of it, it's a bad deal. They should be looking at three starters, and more. I mean I'm shocked they made this trade.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#7 » by lobishome » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Last week the Spanish national team played against Ukraine (or something like that). His coach was Mike Fratello and our coach is a tall dude with beard : We almost lost.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#8 » by southern wolf » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:George Karl (@CoachKarl22): This is the steal of the century for the Cavs.

To give up Love for Wiggins, Bennett, Young and a first-round pick is crazy to me. With Wiggins, you're only talking about potential. You're not yet talking about productivity. Yeah, I think he goes on to be good. But this bothers me: He is a young player, and if any of a number of things happen -- he gets injured, the team is the wrong fit, he gets bitter about the game, doesn't have the passion, doesn't have the love . . . There's a significant chance he might not even be an All-Star, just because that's the way things work.

Bennett, I'm sorry, I saw him play in the summer league, and he was goofy, man. Yeah, he has physical tools. But he's got to be trained. He doesn't have the highest basketball IQ and commitment. So if you're the Cavs, and you give both those guys up and a future No. 1 pick, and you don't have to give up Anderson Varejao or Dion Waiters, and you actually get another team to give up a guy like Young -- I mean, I'm thinking this is a conspiracy! As if the league is making this happen because LeBron James threatened to boycott the league if Love didn't get traded to Cleveland and have a great team or something like that!

Karl: I want a player! I want a guy I can play! You have to understand, with the Carmelo Anthony trade, we got five players. We got [Raymond] Felton, we got Wilson Chandler, we got Gallo [Danilo Gallinari], we got Timofey Mozgov, we got Kosta Koufos, and we got picks. I think for Minnesota, to only get three players out of it, it's a bad deal. They should be looking at three starters, and more. I mean I'm shocked they made this trade.

He's talking like a coach that wants immediate results. I'll bet he would have taken the Lee and Barnes/Klay for Love deal because he's thinking completely about the now.

The deal we made for Wiggins is about the future and even if Wiggins busts I prefer to take a chance on building a future winner than taking a deal like the Warriors one and maybe sneaking into the 8th seed for a couple of seasons.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#9 » by Feilong » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:10 pm

First Flip had to do better than Kahn. Easy task.
Now he has to do better than Adelman. Another easy task.
On a serious note he has done great as GM, if he has the same success as coach it will be hard to replace him.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by TwolvesFanRome » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:13 pm

George Karl can not say otherwise. Media have always snubbed Wolves: can disagree do you think? And then did not mention about the most important thing: we would have lost Love to zero.

Anyway, i would like to focus the discussion on the benefits of having Flip at the helm, and having another instead of him.

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#11 » by karch34 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:25 pm

A coach is important, but you have to have talent that works too. People forget before Allen and KG there were a lot of people that thought Doc Rivers was a bad coach. You also need to put players in the right system or get the right players to fit your system (Popp).

There's things I like about Flip and things I don't. The latter being I thought he lost his creativity about 4 seasons in with the Wolves. Early on he seemed more creative or willing to take risks, later on I didn't see it as much.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#12 » by slicedbread2 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:42 pm

I think the coach is very important as the difference between a good and bad one for a young core can be huge.

I think Flip will do all right although personally, I wish he could have stuck to say the GM/president of basketball operations and could have gotten someone like David Blatt or the Messina dude who went to San Antonio to come, but the team's in good hands.

I heard they tried to get Hoiberg to come, but he loved being at Iowa State so that was too bad. Thought he'd make a great coach.

As far as Flip's time in Washington went, it was nothing short of a disaster. I mean having to try and run a team full of knuckleheads and a team in turmoil somewhat ruined his rep, but I think he's trying to redeem himself as an NBA calibre coach who has something to prove.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#13 » by Mattya » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Flip is fine coach. I'll be interested to see how long he wants to coach. I was talking to my ticket rep and he was saying that The Mayor hyped up Wiggins a lot to Flip. Maybe next offseason Hoidberg is more of an option for us.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#14 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Mattya wrote:Flip is fine coach. I'll be interested to see how long he wants to coach. I was talking to my ticket rep and he was saying that The Mayor hyped up Wiggins a lot to Flip. Maybe next offseason Hoidberg is more of an option for us.

i think Flip coaches for two seasons. Enough time to develop the young guys
Then hire Hoiberg or someone else and try to make the playoff push
Trust the PRosas!
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#15 » by SharoneWright » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Nitroglycerin wrote:
Mattya wrote:Flip is fine coach. I'll be interested to see how long he wants to coach. I was talking to my ticket rep and he was saying that The Mayor hyped up Wiggins a lot to Flip. Maybe next offseason Hoidberg is more of an option for us.

Gonna rock that sig for a bit if that's cool...
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#16 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:25 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Nitroglycerin wrote:

Gonna rock that sig for a bit if that's cool...

:thumbsup:
Trust the PRosas!
YaleS
Sophomore

Post#17 » by YaleS » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:03 pm

TwolvesFanRome wrote:The first purpose of the team should be RUN and GUN. Saunders would be able to put it in the court?

I hope. According to me, just as it says Ice 32, George Karl would be ideal pilot of this "machine".

As far as I know he doesn`t have huge ego, think he`ll adjust his system accordingly, or at least try to do so.
But I don`t think the overall development of the roster is only on the coach, the whole organization matters alot, thats concerning.
MaxMN
Junior
And1: 95

Post#18 » by MaxMN » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:13 pm

I think Flip is a great coach with a solid track record. He has the experience but isn't super old and ready to throw in the towel like Adelman did.

George Karl would have been Rick Adelman 2.0
He is just looking for another gig to make some $$ before he retires. He wouldn't be able to relate to the young guns we have.

Flip will be good, and the players will all think his daughter is smoking hot, because she is.
"Wiggins wasn't as good as our second best player Gay, and it's questionable if he even gets to that level. He isn't proven." -Kings2013 on 06/09/2015
YaleS
Sophomore

Post#19 » by YaleS » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:18 pm

MaxMN wrote:I think Flip is a great coach with a solid track record. He has the experience but isn't super old and ready to throw in the towel like Adelman did.

He is just looking for another gig to make some $$ before he retires. He wouldn't be able to relate to the young guns we have.

Flip will be good, and the players will all think his daughter is smoking hot, because she is.

So get me 30 and you get 30 with my daughter?
MaxMN
Junior
And1: 95

Post#20 » by MaxMN » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:20 pm

YaleS wrote:
MaxMN wrote:I think Flip is a great coach with a solid track record. He has the experience but isn't super old and ready to throw in the towel like Adelman did.

So get me 30 and you get 30 with my daughter?

Essentially. Too bad she got married last summer, otherwise he could offer he as part of a contract to keep Wiggins here for life.
"Wiggins wasn't as good as our second best player Gay, and it's questionable if he even gets to that level. He isn't proven." -Kings2013 on 06/09/2015

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves