ImageImageImage

Can we unlock Bennett's potential and see some of this?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Can we unlock Bennett's potential and see some of this? 

Post#1 » by nurseryc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:03 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4mD1PFE04c[/youtube]
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Re: Can we unlock Bennett's potential and see some of this? 

Post#2 » by nurseryc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:08 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLd8n4_dRH4[/youtube]
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#3 » by Grits n Gravy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:34 am

I'm a big believer in his talent and potential. I think he's gonna have a really nice bounce back season and show a promising learning curve. He faced a terrible tough situation last year with his medical issues and compounded with the pressure that comes with being a number one pick. I think the pressure is completely off this year and he will have the chance to just play basketball while being healthy and having a good plan in place and belief from the coaching staff while also having a great role model in Thad Young and the other vet's on the squad. I'm glad Bennett and Wiggins are together as I think they can really help each other with the upcoming season and beyond.
JasonL
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#4 » by JasonL » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:40 am

i still believe in his potential which is why i did not want to lose him to the sixers to pick up thad. (thankfully flipgod got them both)

i think he's in the perfect postion to learn and grow.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#5 » by southern wolf » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:25 am

I believe he's better than the 4 ppg player we saw in his rookie season, but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to warrant that #1 tag and I still have no idea why the Cavs picked him there.

I'd settle for a solid backup PF, averaging something like 10 points and 6 or 7 boards eventually.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#6 » by Swish4 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:22 pm

I know he'll get better coaching here than he did in Cleveland. Let's hope that's enough.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#7 » by King Malta » Mon Sep 1, 2014 1:54 am

JasonL wrote:i still believe in his potential which is why i did not want to lose him to the sixers to pick up thad. (thankfully flipgod got them both)

I've got pretty low expectations for him but I was also happy we kept him AND got Thad.

I'd rather we persevere with Anthony and see if there's a good NBA player in there rather than turf him and see him potentially improve elsewhere.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#8 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:17 am

I don't know if he'll be good, but I do like guys that angry dunk.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#9 » by Knighthonor » Mon Sep 1, 2014 7:50 am

I been telling people that perhaps drafting Wiggins #1 to the same team would unlock Bennett since it takes pressure off of him and take focus off of him, while giving him somebody he can relate to as both being Canadian.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#10 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:08 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't know if he'll be good, but I do like guys that angry dunk.

He's certainly got some decent athleticism, but he dunks in a whole different way than LaVine and Wiggins. Bennett dunks like he's going to break your arm if you try to block it.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#11 » by Tirion » Mon Sep 1, 2014 9:24 am

that scouting video reminded me of Paul Millsap, I think he can still be that kind of a player, but it'll take time and he will need to adjust just like Millsap did. Forget about dribbling and playmaking for a moment and start doing what got Millsap by his first few years in the league:

- rebounding (that should be his calling card and he looks like he likes to crush the offensive glass - that is needed on this team)

- shoring up his defense to at least slightly below average level (that's vital if he wants to get any meaningful PT at all)

- maximizing his conditioning level (looks like he already doing this)

- cultivating tenacity and toughness (needs that to make up for his size, espessially on defense, that's his biggest question mark, but he already has a mean streak with his dunks, that's good)

- understanding his role on offense (garbage points, crushing the offensive glass and transition - that's all he needs to concentrate one for now, estabilish that and start expanding from there in a year or two, trying to do to much on offense will only hinder his overall development)
YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#12 » by YaleS » Mon Sep 1, 2014 11:15 am

Tirion wrote:that scouting video reminded me of Paul Millsap, I think he can still be that kind of a player, but it'll take time and he will need to adjust just like Millsap did. Forget about dribbling and playmaking for a moment and start doing what got Millsap by his first few years in the league:

- rebounding (that should be his calling card and he looks like he likes to crush the offensive glass - that is needed on this team)

- shoring up his defense to at least slightly below average level (that's vital if he wants to get any meaningful PT at all)

- maximizing his conditioning level (looks like he already doing this)

- cultivating tenacity and toughness (needs that to make up for his size, espessially on defense, that's his biggest question mark, but he already has a mean streak with his dunks, that's good)

- understanding his role on offense (garbage points, crushing the offensive glass and transition - that's all he needs to concentrate one for now, estabilish that and start expanding from there in a year or two, trying to do to much on offense will only hinder his overall development)

There are tons of players already have prooved they can grab rebs, stay withing their role and are already in good shape. Is it worth it paying 5,5 m , 5.8m, 7.3m, 9.8 m for this kind of production? I mean if thats all he can do for us going forward I don`t see the benefit for paying him that kind of money, he should at least be able to strech the floor.
PS: people bitch about paying Marting 7m a year (avr. Bennet sal per), a vet guy who gave us 19 ppg on .55 efg and don`t have problem with having a potential role player that only can (maybe) reb and stay within his role. And I think Bennet is even worse on D that Martin. It`s mind-blowing.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#13 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:08 pm

Knighthonor wrote:I been telling people that perhaps drafting Wiggins #1 to the same team would unlock Bennett since it takes pressure off of him and take focus off of him, while giving him somebody he can relate to as both being Canadian.

and if Heslip makes the team, that'll be another Canadian. It's very important to have those guys together to deal with the culture shock and language barrier. Luckily there are a lot of places in St. Paul where they can drown their sorrows in a plate of poutine.
giannidemarco
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#14 » by giannidemarco » Mon Sep 1, 2014 7:39 pm

I expect him to develop as a Rodney Rogers-type player, but he could easily exceed expectations & have a Larry Johnson-type career (before the back injuries)
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#15 » by TONYROMOHOF » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:30 am

JasonL wrote:i still believe in his potential which is why i did not want to lose him to the sixers to pick up thad. (thankfully flipgod got them both)

Definetly perfect spot

A farm team no pressure
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#16 » by MinneOOPalis » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:23 am

TONYROMOHOF wrote:

Definetly perfect spot

A farm team no pressure

Yeah we are a future farm team...For the Western Conference all stars :wink:
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#17 » by shangrila » Tue Sep 2, 2014 9:44 am

It's strange. I don't know what went wrong with him last season. Watching that video and some of his early season highlights (lowlights?) he looks like a completely different person.

I doubt he'd reach pre-draft expectations. It looks like he had a lot of freedom at UNLV which he won't get in the NBA. He could become a nice complimentary player though.

All he should be doing this season is focusing on what the team needs; a PF that can hit 3pt shots and rebound. Get that crap about being a 2-3 out of his head, tell him he's a big man (no leaving him in limbo like they did with Derrick) and have him focus on that.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#18 » by southern wolf » Tue Sep 2, 2014 11:08 am

I really don't know what to expect from Bennett...

He's an enigma, a mystery wrapped in a riddle.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#19 » by Knighthonor » Tue Sep 2, 2014 7:53 pm

shangrila wrote:It's strange. I don't know what went wrong with him last season. Watching that video and some of his early season highlights (lowlights?) he looks like a completely different person.

I doubt he'd reach pre-draft expectations. It looks like he had a lot of freedom at UNLV which he won't get in the NBA. He could become a nice complimentary player though.

All he should be doing this season is focusing on what the team needs; a PF that can hit 3pt shots and rebound. Get that crap about being a 2-3 out of his head, tell him he's a big man (no leaving him in limbo like they did with Derrick) and have him focus on that.

Crap my post didn't send.

What went wrong with Bennett was that he was drafted #1 to a crappy team, and was coming off an injury. Also he had a lot of pressure on him. He didn't have a lot of time to develop.

He had large shoes to fill because of this. Not many outside the MJ/Lebron tier can do that.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#20 » by dunkonu21 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 8:45 pm

Tirion wrote:needs that to make up for his size, espessially on defense, that's his biggest question mark, but he already has a mean streak with his dunks, that's good)

Kid has a 7'1" wingspan, he doesn't have to make up for his size. He is a physical specimen and natural PF.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves