ImageImageImage

Can we unlock Bennett's potential and see some of this?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Re: Can we unlock Bennett's potential and see some of this? 

Post#21 » by Esohny » Tue Sep 2, 2014 9:01 pm

What's to unlock, the door is wide open already.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lt3Xw_8oMI[/youtube]
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#22 » by LaViggins » Tue Sep 2, 2014 10:05 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6LyP8MeejM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDiLD-ozUG0[/youtube]

Yeah I am excited to see him, especially healthy.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#23 » by Wolf_Cry » Wed Sep 3, 2014 1:34 am

I have average expectations for Bennett and he'll probably barely reach those expectations. The guy is a tweener straight up and even if he concentrates on being a PF, his role is going to be a 6th man at best, which isn't entirely too bad, unless you put it into the context of being a #1 overall pick. I want him to concentrate on being a stretch 4, something similar to the Morris twins in PHO.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#24 » by Dewey » Wed Sep 3, 2014 1:48 am

shangrila wrote:It's strange. I don't know what went wrong with him last season. Watching that video and some of his early season highlights (lowlights?) he looks like a completely different person.

I doubt he'd reach pre-draft expectations. It looks like he had a lot of freedom at UNLV which he won't get in the NBA. He could become a nice complimentary player though.

All he should be doing this season is focusing on what the team needs; a PF that can hit 3pt shots and rebound. Get that crap about being a 2-3 out of his head, tell him he's a big man (no leaving him in limbo like they did with Derrick) and have him focus on that.

yes it is this simple .... 3 pt shot and rebound.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Post#25 » by invno1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:31 pm

I thought he said work at being a 2 / 3 Problem with that is Wolves are stacked with 2 / 3
Beyond me!!!
KazuoOda
Rookie
And1: 1,316

Post#26 » by KazuoOda » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:43 am

I come in peace!

He has the tools. You guys also have to remember that he was under bone head Mike Brown. Most viewed him as a throwin for this trade but he's worth more than that to Cavs fans and I believe you guys will see why this year. I really hope he can turn it around and I think he will.
His confidence should be up this year and he also had a full offseason to practice.
sleepless 43
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#27 » by sleepless 43 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:45 am

YES
sogood
Analyst
And1: 5,095

Post#28 » by sogood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:22 pm

dunkonu21 wrote:
Tirion wrote:needs that to make up for his size, espessially on defense, that's his biggest question mark, but he already has a mean streak with his dunks, that's good)

Kid has a 7'1" wingspan, he doesn't have to make up for his size. He is a physical specimen and natural PF.

Get real dude. He's 6'7'' in shoes.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#29 » by AQuintus » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:51 pm

sogood wrote:Get real dude. He's 6'7'' in shoes.

Taller than Barkley.
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Post#30 » by invno1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:53 pm

lol.....for real 6'7" in shoes??## O.O
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#31 » by dunkonu21 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:36 pm

You must be a guy who makes excuses for people a lot, DUDE. I have a cold so I can't work out, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, ect...

Bennett has a long wing span, can jump, great shooting touch and naturally a wide body. This should be plenty to create mismatches and defend his position at least average. If he doesn't do that it's on his lack of work ethic, lack of BBall IQ...Not his lack of size or potential.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#32 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 pm

dunkonu21 wrote:

You must be a guy who makes excuses for people a lot, DUDE. I have a cold so I can't work out, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, ect...

Bennett has a long wing span, can jump, great shooting touch and naturally a wide body. This should be plenty to create mismatches and defend his position at least average. If he doesn't do that it's on his lack of work ethic, lack of BBall IQ...Not his lack of size or potential.

Completely agree. His wingspan is extremely long and his standing reach seems pretty high in the way he can just catch without gathering and vertically explode and finish. He is pretty much the same size as Paul Milsap(who has the same standing reach as Kevin Love and higher than Blake Griffin) who is one of the best PF in the game and Milsap isn't close to being the athlete that Bennett is.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#33 » by Cassius » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:16 pm

The last player I can remember who had as good a faceup game and arms as long was Elton Brand. I think a 17-7 season on decent percentages would be a possibility if Thad weren't playing ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#34 » by kmgarnett21 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:15 pm

I think playing with Rubio is going to greatly help Bennett.
kbrow20
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#35 » by kbrow20 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:54 am

Do you guys think he could turn into a A. Jamison? Jamison had a decent shot and lacked a little on the defensive end which could be a realistic outcome.
RightToCensor wrote:Rubio is just too damn inefficient to be a team's primary option for offense. He needs to play in a system offense for you to get the best out of him. Trade him to New York, Dallas, or any other team that could use a poor-man's Rajon Rondo.
Really LOL
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#36 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 pm

kbrow20 wrote:Do you guys think he could turn into a A. Jamison? Jamison had a decent shot and lacked a little on the defensive end which could be a realistic outcome.

What made Jamison so good was the shot was insanely quick, the player was good too.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#37 » by slicedbread2 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 6:10 pm

Esohny wrote:What's to unlock, the door is wide open already.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lt3Xw_8oMI[/youtube]

As a Canadian and being from Anthony Bennett's hometown, this was hard to watch!

Too gutwrenching. I cringe every time I see this. I think that hopefully he has a bounce back year and does better under the tutelage of Thaddeus Young.
Varejao17
Rookie
And1: 165

Post#38 » by Varejao17 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:34 pm

no... /thread
props to C.lupus
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#39 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Oct 3, 2014 5:53 am

This was great to read

BENNETT FLOURISHING

Anthony Bennett showed out Thursday at practice. He’s come a long way in the first few days of training camp, and Thursday he looked completely confident for the first time. Bennett knocked down a handful of jumpers during the mini scrimmage in the afternoon, rebounded well, and also played great defense all over the floor.

Saunders said Bennett has been “the biggest surprise” of training camp in Mankato so far.

“He’s shot really well … and he’s done things that I thought he could do,” Saunders said. “He took a lot of threes last year and that’s not really in his repertoire. I told him t o do the things he does best and that’s knocking down that 15- to 20-foot shot.”

Thad Young, who will likely play ahead of Bennett this season, said he’s also he’s been impressed with Bennett so far.

“I think last year he was just out of shape a little bit,” Young said. “He didn’t really know what to expect, he didn’t play Summer League, he didn’t go to training camp, and he was kind of just throw out there into that fire. He’s got a feel for the NBA game and I think now he’s ready to go out there and blossom.”

Also this was very interesting and suprising

Bennett sported protective goggles again Thursday at practice. He wore them briefly during Dunks After Dark and ultimately took them off. Bennett had Lasik eye surgery about a month and a half ago and said the procedure has not fully healed yet. So while the goggles are permanent, they are temporary for the foreseeable future.

“It was different,” he said. “I've never really played with anything on my face before and it was blocking my vision from the side. It was really hard to see who was beside me and some other stuff. I tried to give it a shot and I'll for sure give it a try again. I'm pretty sure my eye thing will heal up soon, but until then I'm going to have to roll with goggles.”

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/tr ... ompetition

Zgoda backs that up in this
http://www.startribune.com/video/278099841.html#hpmrt
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#40 » by cram » Sun Oct 5, 2014 3:17 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:....that'll be another Canadian. It's very important to have those guys together to deal with the culture shock and language barrier. Luckily there are a lot of places in St. Paul where they can drown their sorrows in a plate of poutine.

You know they all speak English, right?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves