ImageImageImage

this season player surprise?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

White Wolf
Freshman
And1: 22

this season player surprise? 

Post#1 » by White Wolf » Mon Sep 1, 2014 12:59 pm

In this topic I'd like to discuss about what players do you think are going to be the big surprise in our team. I'm talking about the difference between the level it's expected and the final rendiment.

In one part, we have the new adquisitions:

Wiggins: most people expect him to bloom in 2-3 years, could he surprise everybody and make a spectacular league landing from the very beginnig?

Lavine: people think that can be a real draft steal, but could he surprise and take over Wiggins?

Bennet: People have really low expectations, that make easy for him to be the biggest surprise this season.

Young: It's hard improve his last year stats, can he?

On the other, there is the rest of the roster, for example:

Rubio: Is he going to score more?

Dieng: will he be able to keep up last season rythmn.

Shabazz: after this summer practice, is it going to be his year?

I think, Lavine is going to stand out the most, even more than Wiggins. On the other side, Dieng could be one of the more improved players in the league.

What do you think?
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Re: this season player surprise? 

Post#2 » by Nitroglycerin » Mon Sep 1, 2014 1:05 pm

Shabazz because of his scoring and rebounding potential
and Rubio because of his contract year and he's the key to mesh all of our parts
All of our players has a chip on their shoulder. Even Flip wants to prove that he can still coach
Trust the PRosas!
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#3 » by Swish4 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:14 pm

Bennett and Shabazz might have the most potential to "surprise" this year coming into their second year with a new coaching staff for them. Gorgui's success won't be as much a surprise as he showed last year he can play.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#4 » by packforfreedom » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:15 pm

LaVine because he's more ready than people think

Dieng again, because he's that good
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#5 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:18 pm

Kevin Martin because people think he sucks. Martin, Mo Williams, and Thad are going to form a nice veteran leadership core. Sam Mitchell will help too.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,915

Post#6 » by Klomp » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:06 pm

Young and LaVine
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#7 » by Ice32 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 12:14 am

I think Dieng is the one that will turns heads the most and may even force Flip to trade Pek. He is ready and is going to be a monster.

Brewer and Martin become the vocal leaders of this group.

Rubio leads NBA in assists and steals

Wiggins will impress, Lavine will do later in season.
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#8 » by gold0259 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:47 am

Mo Williams. Ricky Rubio can't even shoot for his national team, kevin love is gone. Rubio is going to be asked to be scored more, which he can't. You can't teach talent. Rubio has very little TALENT shooting. So Mo Williams could be 6 th man of the year. Ricky is a bad shooter, on a young team you need a pg point guard alla CP3 he can dish when needed, but can go off for 40 when needed. On a young team with Ricky Wolves go no where in the West see you in the draft.

I think we should role with GR3 and Shabazz, and let KMArt go chase a ring. We'd be exciting at the least.
Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#9 » by Ice32 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:13 am

gold0259 wrote:Mo Williams. Ricky Rubio can't even shoot for his national team, kevin love is gone. Rubio is going to be asked to be scored more, which he can't. You can't teach talent. Rubio has very little TALENT shooting. So Mo Williams could be 6 th man of the year. Ricky is a bad shooter, on a young team you need a pg point guard alla CP3 he can dish when needed, but can go off for 40 when needed. On a young team with Ricky Wolves go no where in the West see you in the draft.

I think we should role with GR3 and Shabazz, and let KMArt go chase a ring. We'd be exciting at the least.

I agree that Rubio cannot shoot - but he's a pass first PG, always has been and always will be, Flip knows that, fans know that and Rubio knows that. Surround him with a wing who can shoot (Martin), wings who can run (Wiggins/Brewer/Thad) and a centre who can play in the post (Pek) and Rubio becomes dangerous enough to the opposition, not to be worried about shooting/scoring. He is skilled enough to score points, but he will never be a 20 ppg scorer, because Wolves don't need that from him. I think he could average 12 ppg if he bumps FG% up to 43%, shoots 3PTs at 35% and knocks FTs at 80%. Getting his teammates open looks, passing in transition and getting 2-3 steals per game is good enough.
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#10 » by eyeteeth » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:30 am

Who is going to surprise? I say Shabazz, because for whatever reason he is the person people tend to underestimate. I think he will continue to show a very professional work ethic and a solid basic skill set. It shouldn't be surprising because it's all he's done so far, but it will be for a lot of people.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,915

Post#11 » by Klomp » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:09 am

gold0259 wrote:Mo Williams. Ricky Rubio can't even shoot for his national team, kevin love is gone. Rubio is going to be asked to be scored more, which he can't. You can't teach talent. Rubio has very little TALENT shooting. So Mo Williams could be 6 th man of the year. Ricky is a bad shooter, on a young team you need a pg point guard alla CP3 he can dish when needed, but can go off for 40 when needed. On a young team with Ricky Wolves go no where in the West see you in the draft.

Mo is a good choice. Hardly anyone ever talks about him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#12 » by Wolf_Cry » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:18 am

I would say Shabazz if ever got time. With Buddinger, Brewer, Bennett, and Wiggins on the team, he won't get to see the floor. I mean I guess Bazz could play SG, but I don't think anyone sees him succeeding at the 2. We need to get rid of Brewer and Buddinger asap.

Anyways, my prediction for the current team would be Dieng. This guy....is seriously going to be a monster. I would go as so far to say if he does ever start, he would lead the league in REBOUNDING. Now that Kevin Wesley Love is gone, Dieng will shine in the rebounding department just as much.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#13 » by southern wolf » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:27 am

I think it will be Bennett and Shabazz. We already know what Thad is capable of, he averaged almost 20 ppg last season and Lavine is a longterm prospect IMO. I think we'll see the same old Ricky unfortunately.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,325

Post#14 » by Calinks » Tue Sep 2, 2014 7:59 am

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#15 » by packforfreedom » Tue Sep 2, 2014 10:46 am

when he was with the cavs, everybody said he's gonna be a franchise player, now he's with us and everybody says, he's gonna bust. Realgm logic.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#16 » by Dewey » Thu Sep 4, 2014 5:01 am

packforfreedom wrote:when he was with the cavs, everybody said he's gonna be a franchise player, now he's with us and everybody says, he's gonna bust. Realgm logic.

got love the media!!!

As far as the topic at hand, I'm gonna go with Brewer as biggest suprise. He's tight with Young (they were drafted in same class - we almost went with Young at the time). Brew will hit his corner three's with more consistency and continue his hustle play. I can see him w/Young as key contributors to team chemistry.

Flip is gonna need guys on the floor to keep his #1 guy pointed in the right direction. He has known Lavine since he was about his freshmen year in high school and I think he is pretty comfortable with what he can get from him (as well) with the right guys around him.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
sleepless 43
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#17 » by sleepless 43 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 6:36 am

I think the team as a whole is going to surprise.I think she'll Baz Muhammad and Chase Budinger are going to surprise.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#18 » by C.lupus » Thu Sep 4, 2014 1:52 pm

If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?
White Wolf
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#19 » by White Wolf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:02 pm

It's soon but until now, it seems that Bennett is being the bigger surprise in the roster. Young and Wiggins are playing a good level but, more or less, the expected. Lavine, after his great summer league, is doing it just normal. Rubio the same than these last years and mo williams is doing good figures but it seems the team doesn't play as well with him.

Do you think the same about Bennett?
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#20 » by PZiv » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:18 am

Youngsters: Bennett-Dieng. And its not even close
Vets: Williams

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves