ImageImageImage

gorgui dieng is too good for the bench.....

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,903

Re: gorgui dieng is too good for the bench..... 

Post#41 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 3, 2014 12:10 am

Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:See, I always have attributed him to a young Garnett. People are too afraid to say it, but the similarities are completely dead-on to Garnett's game. He has the same passing ability, shows insane flashes of ball handling, same mid range jumper, elite rebounding, intelligent help defender, and crafty man on man defender. Heck, he even has the same body type! I have hyped him since college, so now that I am somewhat right on him (for once :lol: ) I am staying full on the wagon. Just wait when Garnett comes to work with him. This will be great.

He has the defense/rebounding and the mid range jumper, but thats it. You're greatly underestimating how good a young Garnett was.

If you want to compare his overall game to the Celtics version of Garnett, fine. But to compare Dieng to prime KG is near laughable.

I never said he was at that level, or fully reach that level, I specifically stated that his skill sets are incredibly similar. I am not underestimating Garnett in any way, people are totally taking my words incorrectly, but the similarities of their games are pretty on point. Sure he has not reached Kevin's level, but if he was 20, people would willingly throw out the comparison. I am just trying to get people to see the similarities and cast away the ridiculous age is potential nonsense. I am a Wolves fan, I have been since I have been born, and I have watched Garnett (who in his prime is the best PF ever), but even then, I am truly shocked at the obvious comparison that those two have. Gorgui will be an all star in the future, and then people will finally realize how good this guy is. I am confident in this.

Dieng doesn't have the ballhandling, passing or athleticism to be compared to Garnett. Doesn't matter if he's 25 or 20, he doesn't have those skillsets.

Those skillsets were far less prominent during his Boston days, which is why I suggested that as a more apt comparison.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#42 » by Narf » Wed Sep 3, 2014 12:12 am

Turnover_21 wrote:soon to be wolves best center in history if it's worth anything

Well, the current best center in Wolves history is still around. So we'll see ;)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 3, 2014 12:16 am

Turnover_21 wrote:soon to be wolves best center in history if it's worth anything

Thanks, gives me an idea of another discussion idea to restart. Will get to it soon.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#44 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Sep 3, 2014 12:24 am

Narf wrote:

Well, the current best center in Wolves history is still around. So we'll see ;)

meh, the current one doesn't have the wheels to keep running with that title. Dieng is a Freightliner ready to pull some serious weight.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#45 » by C.lupus » Wed Sep 3, 2014 12:30 am

Klomp wrote:Think he's been working on this shot?

Spoiler:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqW_PcZ_IcA[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzdxLO8Imk[/youtube]

Dirk Dieng!
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#46 » by MinneOOPalis » Wed Sep 3, 2014 1:07 am

He did that Dirk shot a few times in summer league too.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 3, 2014 1:17 am

Sakuragi_ wrote:He did that Dirk shot a few times in summer league too.

He did it during his rookie year too

karam1988
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#48 » by karam1988 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 6:24 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMqXUSlDNoo

i feel like he has gotten a lot better..................
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#49 » by urinesane » Wed Sep 3, 2014 6:52 am

I keep getting the sneaky feeling that this year's team may actually be pretty damn good.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#50 » by Feilong » Wed Sep 3, 2014 7:05 am

Gorgui has all the tools to become a Dekembe with a jump-shot.
So far the only thing that i really dislike is that he continues to chase his player or others after a screen far away from the basket, way out from the 3p line. His strength is near the basket not in the perimeter.
Senegal vs Argentina. Go go Gorgui.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#51 » by lobishome » Wed Sep 3, 2014 7:44 am

Turnover_21 wrote:
lobishome wrote:
Klomp wrote:If Dieng was American-born, his age would be more of a concern.

Nah, I trust in his age, he doesn't look older than Ibaka who is only 3 months older than Gorgui and the Ibaka's age is verified.

I think Klomp saying that if GD was born in the US he would meet basketball at an early age and his development would be near its end by now, but in Africa he picked up a basketball in his late teens.
Not everything is about shady birth certificates in Africa :D

Oops, sorry

Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#52 » by Saltine » Wed Sep 3, 2014 7:51 am

I expect he'll play against the bigger PF's, and backup Pek, he will do well in both roles :)
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#53 » by TMo519 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 6:04 pm

urinesane wrote:I keep getting the sneaky feeling that this year's team may actually be pretty damn good.

Yeah, it's really about how ready are the young guys? Can a guy like LaVine actually step in and contribute immediately? If so, and Wiggins is ROY quality, then we could actually be pretty decent (like 35-40 wins or so), cause we're not completely young, we have some vets who can be big pieces.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#54 » by Basti » Thu Sep 4, 2014 9:05 am

From those youtube videos off the FIBA page it's quite encouraging to see Gorgui play. Maybe it's just me but unlike last season where he was mostly assisted to his baskets or after crashing the board it looks like he can create a shot on his own now. Obviously, the competition he's been up against is not the same as in the NBA but still. It's also nice to see that his midrange J seems to be legit.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#55 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Sep 4, 2014 10:01 am

Basti wrote:From those youtube videos off the FIBA page it's quite encouraging to see Gorgui play. Maybe it's just me but unlike last season where he was mostly assisted to his baskets or after crashing the board it looks like he can create a shot on his own now. Obviously, the competition he's been up against is not the same as in the NBA but still. It's also nice to see that his midrange J seems to be legit.

A mid range J on a big + Ricky to find him = success
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#56 » by slicedbread2 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 6:20 pm

I think it's too soon to say how good Gorgui will be. I'd rather let Pek start and rest him and let Dieng play and see if he's ready or not. I think at the very least he could become a 10/10/2 guy which would be nice.

As for this team, let the young guns play. Even if the team being played by mostly the young guys wins only 25-30 games, you can use it as a starting point although they have the potential to surprise should it all click.

It'd be nice to see a Rubio-Lavine-Wiggins-Bennett-Dieng or insert Shabazz during certain small-ball lineups through the course of the year.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#57 » by guest81 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 6:44 pm

Dieng right now is just not big and strong enough to handle the big starting C in the league. I remember Marc Gasol specifically overpowered him easily. Pek might not block shots, but he's a really good one on one guy. If your starting Rubio,Wiggins, and Brewer, you'll probably need Pek's offense but the defense isn't as needed.

On the flip side, you probably will need Dieng's D off the bench when he's playing with guys like Bud, Bazz, and Bennett.

I much rather have him be an X factor off the bench
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 4, 2014 9:53 pm

guest81 wrote:Dieng right now is just not big and strong enough to handle the big starting C in the league. I remember Marc Gasol specifically overpowered him easily.

If 9.5 ppg and 13.0 rpg in 31.5 mpg for Dieng is considered overpowering him, I'd take those numbers any day.

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#59 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Sep 4, 2014 10:05 pm

guest81 wrote:Dieng right now is just not big and strong enough to handle the big starting C in the league. I remember Marc Gasol specifically overpowered him easily. Pek might not block shots, but he's a really good one on one guy. If your starting Rubio,Wiggins, and Brewer, you'll probably need Pek's offense but the defense isn't as needed.

On the flip side, you probably will need Dieng's D off the bench when he's playing with guys like Bud, Bazz, and Bennett.

I much rather have him be an X factor off the bench

Dieng clearly put on some weight this summer, he's a center now with little ability at PF.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves