ImageImageImage

My Question: Why will we be bad next year?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Re: My Question: Why will we be bad next year? 

Post#41 » by C.lupus » Thu Sep 4, 2014 4:59 pm

Gunny wrote:
Foye wrote:I feel like one of the reasons why we will not be good next year is free throws.

Pek and Martin are obviously good at drawing fouls but they don't get the superstar calls Love did. I expect about 5 less FTA per game.

Wiggins set the all time Kansas record for free throws made in a season. I don't think it will be much of an issue.

Agreed.

Here are the players ranked by personal fouls drawn last year:

Love: 496
Rubio: 279
Martin: 222
(T. Young): 219
Pekovic: 208
Brewer: 191
Barea: 125
(Williams): 110
Shved: 75
Dieng: 74
Cunningham: 67
LMAM: 58

Losing Love is huge but Thad makes up for 44% of that. I would expect Martin, Pek, and Brewer to be about the same. Rubio should increase with a more central role on the team and an aggressive style of play that flip wants. Dieng should increase significantly, too, with improved play and probably double the playing time. Wiggins should get some calls as you said. Overall it might be a little less but not that significant. I think Love's rebounding is what the Wolves are going to miss the most.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#42 » by Takingbaconback » Thu Sep 4, 2014 6:42 pm

I agree with the "who will spread the floor" crowd. This doesn't have too much to do with inexperience as it does fit. Wolves only starter that can shoot the 3 ball or even 18-20 ft jumpers consistently is Kevin Martin. Rubio can't shoot, Thad Young can't shoot, and Wiggins probably won't be consistent with his perimeter shooting. The lack of spacing is going to make it very difficult for Rubio in half court and teams will be able to deal with Pek easier (still difficult matchup) than before because they will be able to pack the paint.

Also this is the West. People are tabbing the NOP/DEN as the 9th seed and I don't see wolves getting a better record than those two teams. Probably won't be better than PHO either.
YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#43 » by YaleS » Thu Sep 4, 2014 10:22 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:I agree with the "who will spread the floor" crowd. This doesn't have too much to do with inexperience as it does fit. Wolves only starter that can shoot the 3 ball or even 18-20 ft jumpers consistently is Kevin Martin. Rubio can't shoot, Thad Young can't shoot, and Wiggins probably won't be consistent with his perimeter shooting. The lack of spacing is going to make it very difficult for Rubio in half court and teams will be able to deal with Pek easier (still difficult matchup) than before because they will be able to pack the paint.

Also this is the West. People are tabbing the NOP/DEN as the 9th seed and I don't see wolves getting a better record than those two teams. Probably won't be better than PHO either.

Ya, really hope Zach, Mo, Bud can help with that spacing. Half-court O will def. be a problem.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,325

Post#44 » by Calinks » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:34 am

At least one of Bazz, Rubio, Lavine, or Wiggins will have to emerge as a dependable shooter for us to do well too. If Shabazz suddenly had a decent jumper and could be counted on for several long jumpers a game that would be huge. Right now none of them can shoot reliably.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#45 » by eyeteeth » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:36 am

I do want to say this: The Wolves did not play hungry last year. I think Love really did have one for out the door, and that's something that really effects the rest of the team. I think this year's roster has something to prove. That on its own is an improvement over last year. Complicating the picture, we have a number of young players who might step up, but who cannot be counted upon to do so.

This is a team with an interesting ceiling but a very low floor.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves