Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Ideas to improve the NBA 

Post#1 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 pm

My thoughts on this.

A- Make a longer schedule, Why ?

------------1º - The break is too DAMN long (Last game of NBA was June 15 to 28 October to begin again the new season, four months and a half of break for teams that reach the finals) (April 16 to non playoffs teams, 5 months and a half of break)

------------2º - With a longer schedule we could perfectly stop with back to backs games, stop with this, everyone complains about that and doesn´t make any sence to have so many games in a short time. At least give 1 day break, for the teams to have some rest, to train, and to better study the opponent. Now the teams only make the travel, a lot of times with time zone change, Some rest and already is time to play.

B- Rules that need to be chanched IMO on the floor.

------------1º - Way Too many Time Outs, i know is difuclt to to avoid this because of the commercial, tv deals. But... Way too many.

------------2º - The most annoying rule for me in the NBA, Calling time outs when a player wants (team possession), when a player is surrounded by defenders or can´t throw the ball in on the side court, or when 2 players are fighting for the ball, this rule does not give recognition to defense.

-----------3º - The rim rule, i have doubt on this one compared to the FIBA rule. But...

C - I know this will cause controversy here, but this only my opinion, End the ALL Star Break, is boring as hell, I only see a little bit when a player of Minnesota is there. Just too see how is doing.

There is more things, like the Draft or the minimum age to enter the NBA, how many years should players satying in College.

Give an idea of ​​what you would like it to be changed in the NBA.

*Sorry if my english still ins´t very good. ;)
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Re: Ideas to improve the NBA 

Post#2 » by Feilong » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:58 pm

The biggest problem is the replay system.
I know there are plans to deal with this problem like replay room, 4th referee etc. Waiting for the changes.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#3 » by C.lupus » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Yeah, the replay system needs fixing. As far as big things that will never happen, I'd like to see two:
1. Fewer games and NO back-to-backs EVER.
2. Re-alignment and possibly getting rid of conferences altogether (we've discussed this multiple times).

Also...get rid of the damn sleeves and keep the ads off the uniforms.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#4 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Change the physicality of the game by telling refs to call every regular season game like a playoff game. Then give players even more leeway to tussle during the actual playoffs. Players would not get awarded for some weak takes or flopping.

Get rid of nba draft lottery and do it how nfl does it, worst to first with playoff teams ranked in the order they got knocked out.

Have a one year franchise tag that a team can use once every ten years. Pay will be average of top 5 contracts of his position and that player will become a ufa after the year is up.
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#5 » by Gunny » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:15 pm

My idea is to keep the length of the season the way it is now, but with fewer games. The season should be 58 games; 2 games for each opponent per team with one home game and one away game each.

It won't ever happen, but I feel it would make for a better season.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#6 » by jade_hippo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:03 pm

The problem with number of games is neither the players nor owners would agree to shorten. More games means more money, if the season got shorter owners would want to pay players less for the loss of game revenue.
cojayar
Junior
And1: 106

Post#7 » by cojayar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Instead of an All Star Break do a 8 teams knock out competition (like the ACB Cup).
The best 8 teams up to end of January qualify. Quarter finals, semifinals and final in one week in one location.
If you want some stupid contests for players in teams not qualified or whatever. But a true competition for a trophy must be the main event. Not a boring west vs. east match with no defense.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#8 » by PZiv » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Change the star calls frequency to way it exposes ref stars(Harden and similar) and reintroduce rough defense on small doors of NBA. Punish flopping with a tehnical foul. League should start at beginning of october not the end of it.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#9 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Make the non-playoff teams battle each other for the top picks in their own playoffs, during playoffs. 9th seeds on both coasts advance to the 2nd round instantly. Would stop blatant tanking.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#10 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:05 pm

make the out of bounds lines a 6 foot wide moat filled with piranhas
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#11 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Expansion team in New Zealand or just move the Bucks here.

Make the pre season 3-4 games instead of 7-8 and start season a week earlier also cut off 7-8 games from regular season and have no back to backs.

No conference playoffs just the top 16 teams make the playoffs. This western slufest has got to stop and stop putting in eastern teams by default. Travel would be touger but not as big a deal with luxury travel and maybe coulld expand season to finish 7-10 days later to add extra time between games.

Have free agency before the NBA draft so teams can make more informed decisions about who to target.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#12 » by southern wolf » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 am

More breaks would be good, but anything more than 82 games would be ridiculous.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#13 » by Calinks » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 am

More physicality. I enjoy the FIBA style and increased importance of interior bigs.

Some kid of tournament for the teams that don't make the playoffs. As a fan I don't want fewer games as I enjoy seeing all the game I can get but, I wouldn't mind it if they put in something like the NBA version of the NIT. All non playoff teams are entered, they play a one and one tournament to close out the season with some kind of incentive to win. I think this should be played before the playoffs to give playoff teams a week or two break and the NBA should make a big deal of it, like have every game be on TNT, brackets, all of that.

As for the reward it could be a better chance at a top draft pick, a guaranteed top 5 draft pick, or even a final spot in the playoffs for the top two teams or something to that affect. A wild card tournament of sorts.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
wolfcat
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#14 » by wolfcat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:Expansion team in New Zealand or just move the Bucks here.

Make the pre season 3-4 games instead of 7-8 and start season a week earlier also cut of 7-8 games and have no back to backs.

No conference playoffs just the top 16 teams make the playoffs. This western slufest has got to stop and stop putting in eastern teams by default. Travel would be touger but not as big a deal with luxury travel and maybe coulld expand season to finish 7-10 days later to add extra time between games.

Have free agency before the NBA draft so teams can make more informed decisions about who to target.

If they moved the Bucks to New Zealand we definitely would no longer have the block cornered on bad travel schedule.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,702

Post#15 » by thinktank » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:45 am

Increase the distance between the goal and the base of the stanchion and I've been saying this way before Paul got injured. Push the photographers and cheerleaders and fans back a good five feet, as they do in Europe. Add padding right before the photographers, cheerleaders, and fans.

This would reduce the risk of injury and allow the players to increase their aggression to and around the basket, resulting in a more exciting game.

Also, do call games like playoff games. The flopping in the regular seasons is mostly conditioned by weak foul calls. Superstar calls also need to end.
"a poor addition to the board"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#16 » by Klomp » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:49 am

thinktank wrote:Increase the distance between the goal and the base of the stanchion and I've been saying this way before Paul got injured. Push the photographers and cheerleaders and fans back a good five feet, as they do in Europe. Add padding right before the photographers, cheerleaders, and fans.

This would reduce the risk of injury and allow the players to increase their aggression to and around the basket, resulting in a more exciting game.

Also, do call games like playoff games. The flopping in the regular seasons is mostly conditioned by weak foul calls. Superstar calls also need to end.

The stanchion issue was an issue with the Las Vegas arena, not a NBA rule. Plus, photog restrictions have already been made tighter.

Though I do like those barriers they used in FIBA games. Wish they would use those here, although it would restrict views for courtside seats, no?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#17 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 am

thinktank wrote:Increase the distance between the goal and the base of the stanchion and I've been saying this way before Paul got injured. Push the photographers and cheerleaders and fans back a good five feet, as they do in Europe. Add padding right before the photographers, cheerleaders, and fans.

The NBA did change their rules after the Paul George injury. Apparently they were going to do it even if George never suffered that injury, it just happened to be a coincidence.

The NBA is expanding the area that must be clear behind the basket and cutting the number of photographers along the baseline in an effort to improve player safety.

The new regulations, calling for an extra foot of open space on both sides of the basket stanchion, were sent to teams Tuesday by league president of operations Rod Thorn

The ''escape lanes,'' the unoccupied area on either side of the stanchion to the closest photographer spot, will increase from 3 to 4 feet.

Only 20 camera positions, 10 on each baseline, will remain, down from 24 last season and 40 during the 2010-11 regular season. Each baseline can have six photo spots on one side of the basket and four on the other, and dance teams or other entertainers cannot be stationed along the baseline.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-unveil ... --nba.html
DutchBoy
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#18 » by DutchBoy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:49 am

1. Reduce the number of games so that there are zero back to backs.

2. Increase the width of the court by approximately 4 feet so that the 3-point arc is an even 23 feet 9 inches all around - instead of 22 at the corners.

3. Reduce the number of time-outs a team can take in each game from 6 to 4.

4. Reduce the # of fouls a player can commit in a game to 5.

4. Increase the length of the shot clock to 28 seconds. This one is the most controversial, as the shot-clock was designed to increase the pace of the game - but it has to some degree ironically slowed it down, as it necessitates players to foul more, more errant shots are taken, more turnovers committed, thus the league started adding more time-outs and reasons for the game to stop and allow the players to catch their breath. I would never argue that the shot clock should be 35 seconds, but 28 seconds feels like it would be the magic number to give each possession a tad more breathing room without boring the viewing audience. I think the game would be far more interesting, as we could see offenses running through their first, second, and sometimes third options before throwing up desperation shots. Way too many possessions today are dominated by first options, followed then desperation shots creating crazy turnovers. The average number of possessions each team has today is about 100 per game - and that's just way too many - the game risks looking like a cartoon. Additionally, if the game is slowed down just a tad, some of the veterans of the league could eek out one or two additional seasons before their career is a wrap.
DutchBoy
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#19 » by DutchBoy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:54 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:Make the non-playoff teams battle each other for the top picks in their own playoffs, during playoffs. 9th seeds on both coasts advance to the 2nd round instantly. Would stop blatant tanking.

Consolation playoffs - I love it.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#20 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:32 am

In playoffs time, they need a rule to give away 5% to 7,5% of the capacity of the arena to the opponont team. That would be excited for everybody.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves