ImageImageImage

Anthony Bennett thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Re: Anthony Bennett thread 

Post#181 » by LaViggins » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Man I like Bennett and want to see him succeed, but the way some people argue for him almost makes me want to puke. It seems some people are just here to argue, not even making points but literally just blabbing on about nonsense.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#182 » by vagelis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:36 pm

Thats exactly the opponent reason why I liked him more. People who name him a bust. I am always with the aggrieved side and I like people who are unfairly treated.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#183 » by guest81 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:49 pm

ace625214 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
ace625214 wrote:
Only if you want Ricky and Wiggins to play 43mpg and injure themselves each season.

comparative to the injury free seasons the Wolves have enjoyed in the past?

What do past Timberwolves seasons have to do with Thibs consistently playing his players too many minutes? We've had an injured team in the past and it set the timeline back 5 years. I'd like to avoid that again.

because our current coach plays our players too many minutes? Wiggins led the league in minutes played after December, and Rubio was playing like 30-35 minutes a night after coming back from injury
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#184 » by guest81 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:52 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
guest81 wrote:
C.lupus wrote:Garnett isn't getting paid for his on-court contributions. He was brought back (and he re-signed) with the intent for him to mentor the young pups. Anything he contributes on the floor is a bonus. He's emotionally invested in this franchise and will be financially invested at some point in the not-to-distant future. He'll play as long as he feels his body can take it - maybe one year, maybe two. We'll have to wait and see.

Which is crazy when you think about the fact he's getting paid more then any NBA coach. Yea yea mentoring and coaching isn't the same, but I think giving a guy like Thibs 8 million to coach is a lot more valuable then pay KG 8 million to mentor

With KG, he's not restricted to stay on the sidelines the whole game. He leads by example on the floor which gives the players someone to look up to during the battle. He's not like one of those has-beens who should've retired half a decade early that can only communicate wearing a suit on the bench. He's limited, but not completely worthless.
With that being said, having Thibs and KG could be even better.

I know he's not restricted, but we thought that was the case last year and he only played 4 games. I know "tanking" and all that, but when playing half a season at 20 minutes a night is considered best case , odds are that won't end up happening.

I also would like to know an example of a has been that should've retired 5 years ago that you refer to
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#185 » by ace625214 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:58 pm

guest81 wrote:
ace625214 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
comparative to the injury free seasons the Wolves have enjoyed in the past?

What do past Timberwolves seasons have to do with Thibs consistently playing his players too many minutes? We've had an injured team in the past and it set the timeline back 5 years. I'd like to avoid that again.

because our current coach plays our players too many minutes? Wiggins led the league in minutes played after December, and Rubio was playing like 30-35 minutes a night after coming back from injury

And again, I'd like to avoid that happening. Hiring Thibs has nothing to do with Flip, since he would be replacing Flip. The choices are:

1. Replace Flip with Thibs
2. Replace Flip with not Thibs

It's pretty clear what I was saying.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#186 » by Takingbaconback » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:05 pm

vagelis wrote:Thats exactly the opponent reason why I liked him more. People who name him a bust. I am always with the aggrieved side and I like people who are unfairly treated.

How is Bennett unfairly treated? Sucked in cleveland, bad in minny so far, earning millions of dollars...
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#187 » by The J Rocka » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:01 am

guest81 wrote:I know he's not restricted, but we thought that was the case last year and he only played 4 games. I know "tanking" and all that, but when playing half a season at 20 minutes a night is considered best case , odds are that won't end up happening.

I also would like to know an example of a has been that should've retired 5 years ago that you refer to

The only way we'll know how much KG can really play is this upcoming season. "Tanking" is exactly why we saw KG only play 4 games last season and I don't expect that to happen again. I wouldn't look too much into that. He'll more than likely rest on back-to-backs (if I had to guess).

Regardless, we need a future starting PF. I think Belly will get minutes at both 3/4, so it's really Payne vs AB. Whether either of them are the future PF is another debate. The team isn't going to cater to either of them by giving them KG's minutes on a silver platter. They're going to have to earn it. That's why I'm alright with having KG back starting. If AB gets his act together, then more power to him.

I was more so using that example towards players who've previously played and not currently, unless you can find one. More like a Juwan Howard or a Patrick Ewing who really didn't do much to help their teams on the court late in their careers. KG still makes a positive impact playing despite losing a step and having low stats.
vagelis
Starter

Post#188 » by vagelis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:42 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
vagelis wrote:Thats exactly the opponent reason why I liked him more. People who name him a bust. I am always with the aggrieved side and I like people who are unfairly treated.

How is Bennett unfairly treated? Sucked in cleveland, bad in minny so far, earning millions of dollars...

In Minny he had many good games until he got injured.
Then Flip gave a lot minutes of his playing time to Payne.
Some times in young players you have to see something more than stats.You have to see the potential and the talent. I see that Bennett has the talent and the athletic skills and so I believe he has potential to become a very good starting pf.
If Flip gives him minutes I believe he can shine this year
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#189 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:33 am

vagelis wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:

Then Flip gave a lot minutes of his playing to Payne.
Some times in young players you have to see something more than stats.You have to see the potential and the talent. I see that Bennett has the talent and the athletic skills and so I believe he has potential to become a very good starting pf.

He had some good games but all he did was take jumpers. Nothing on defense, no hustle, lethargic. That is why he didn't deserve to see play ahead of Payne who gave full effort and showed just as much as Bennett if not more. I see potential in Bennett and Payne but neither has showed capability of reaching even half of it so I rather have somebody who is going to play his butt off and do the little things. Fair is fair and if AB wants more play, he's going to have to run every single possession and put maximum effort on defense and rebounding.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: RE: Re: Anthony Bennett thread 

Post#190 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:12 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
He had some good games but all he did was take jumpers. Nothing on defense, no hustle, lethargic. That is why he didn't deserve to see play ahead of Payne who gave full effort and showed just as much as Bennett if not more.

I know you guys don't like Bennett, but saying that Payne "showed just as much as Bennett if not more"

Don't need for that.
Just stay with the part of "Bennett sucks bla bla bla"
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#191 » by Feilong » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:22 pm

Earlier this week, a couple of platforms featured trade rumors surrounding Anthony Bennett. The general consensus, though, is that Bennett is drawing little-to-no interest from other teams. According to Sporting News, the forward has been on the trade block since the NBA Draft in June and hasn't gotten much of a nibble.

In honesty, it's not surprising when you look at Bennett's production level combined with his salary. During the 2014-15 season, he averaged just 5.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in 15.7 minutes per game. Some may say he's still plenty young enough to turn it around, but I don't see that happening. Minnesota owes the 22-year-old $5.2 million for the 2015 season, and he has a team option for $7.3 million for the following year. There's not a team out there right now that wants to take on that kind of bill for a low-caliber player.

Bennett has been a bust since entering the league, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing overseas within the next few years.

-canishoopus

There is still some time till the start of the season, so let's hope someone will do us a favor.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: Anthony Bennett thread 

Post#192 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:02 am

mercgold3 wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
He had some good games but all he did was take jumpers. Nothing on defense, no hustle, lethargic. That is why he didn't deserve to see play ahead of Payne who gave full effort and showed just as much as Bennett if not more.

I know you guys don't like Bennett, but saying that Payne "showed just as much as Bennett if not more"

Don't need for that.
Just stay with the part of "Bennett sucks bla bla bla"

It's true so there is definitely a need for that.

I think Bennett's realistic ceiling is a Carlos Boozer, who was a pretty good player in his days. I would be very happy if he can improve his skills drastically to that type of level.
vagelis
Starter

Post#193 » by vagelis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:39 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb0zuBOnKzw[/youtube]
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#194 » by Alfred » Fri Sep 4, 2015 3:32 pm

Bennett is playing quite well in the Olympic qualifiers. He's shooting 70% and is averaging just over 19 points per 36. He's also rebounding really well. Maybe this could be a confidence booster going into the NBA season?
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#195 » by ace625214 » Fri Sep 4, 2015 7:38 pm

That's what we've all been hoping for since it was announced that he would play. The athleticism and skill are there. He just has to get his head on straight and use them properly.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#196 » by theGreatRC » Sat Sep 5, 2015 9:19 am

Pick up his option, he's coming into the season healthy and in the best shape of his career, his confidence will be sky high since he's doing well in this tournament and will have a legend in KG giving him more confidence..I believe in AB.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#197 » by PharmD » Tue Sep 8, 2015 4:48 am

vagelis wrote:Bennett is the best pf of Timberwolves and in addition he is the youngest one.
He is only 22 and has great potential.
I understand the need to name some number one picks as busts but this guy has talent and athleticism.
The only thing is to remain in shape and without injuries

I know i'm quoting a really old post but c'mon. AB was regularly outplayed by Jeff Adrien, a replacement player. AB is terrible.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#198 » by PharmD » Tue Sep 8, 2015 5:24 am

vagelis wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:

Then Flip gave a lot minutes of his playing time to Payne.

Every line is wrong imo. He did not have "many good games" until he got injured. He was terrible. He shot something like 73% on long 2s in November (and still was not a useful player) and then shot below 40% from the floor every single month after that.

Flip did not give any of his minutes to Payne. AB was injured in the first quarter of the first game after the all-star break. Bennett hadn't shown anything but surely part of the reason Flip moved Thad was to give Bennett some more minutes to see what he had while also giving Payne minutes to see if he had anything. Maybe one of those guys could emerge as the PF of the future (didn't happen).

AB is not a good NBA athlete. The only athletic thing he does is pulling himself up on the rim after 2 handed dunks. His lack of athleticism hurts him quite a bit. He's short and doesn't have much of a vertical so he's a complete non-factor defending the rim. He's not quick laterally, not a quick jumper, not particularly fast getting up and down the court, not particularly strong (tho he's young). He's not an exciting athlete by any standards. He does have pretty good hands imo.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#199 » by Note30 » Tue Sep 8, 2015 5:51 am

theGreatRC wrote:Pick up his option, he's coming into the season healthy and in the best shape of his career, his confidence will be sky high since he's doing well in this tournament and will have a legend in KG giving him more confidence..I believe in AB.

I really hope so. I bash on Bennett a lot, but I do believe his whole issue is mental. He definitely has the skill to play well, and I think under the right coaching he could be a solid rotational player even this year. He's still so young.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves