ImageImageImage

Anthony Bennett thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Re: Anthony Bennett thread 

Post#21 » by Feilong » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:16 pm

So far he looks good. He doesn't look as #1 pick but he is pretty decent and i am impressed.
He just needs to stop shooting this long long 2s.
Pick and pops with Rubio could be a great weapon this season.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#22 » by packforfreedom » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:24 pm

Pek and Bennett setting screens will be such a weapon.
rebelx
Junior
And1: 69

Post#23 » by rebelx » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:09 pm

ValHoffa wrote:You gotta love the chemistry that is going to build between Bennett and Wiggins from both practicing and in the future playing for team canada... I have a great feeling about theese two and lavine

...the future and the past....they've been playing together for many years.
WolvesFMC
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#24 » by WolvesFMC » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Basti wrote:
Elendur wrote:They should already give the MIP award to him :D

Legit question: what would you guys think will AB have to average to be a legit contender for the MIP award?

More than 14/7? Will he actually be a MIP candidate?

As of right now, while I'm pleasantly surprised by his output I'm not really sure that's enough to be a MIP candidate. But nevertheless, he's been a really nice surprise. I wish he'd try to score a little more in the post, though, because opposing teams won't always give him his jumper.

I think he gets his shot in the games early in the season to show what he can do. To improve from last year Isn't going to be tough. 4.17 ppg and 2.98 rbg. if he goes to 8/5 or 10/7 I think he has a chance but I really think Rubio has the upper hand on most improved. He finally gets to run the offense through himself, so we will see. Exciting none-the-less.
@WolvesFMC on twitter
Wolvesfrommycouch.wordpress.com - check it out, read, contribute.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#25 » by breatnach » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:24 pm

I think 2nd year players rarely get considered (and rightfully so) - they are expected to improve!
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#26 » by Basti » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:44 am

breatnach wrote:I think 2nd year players rarely get considered (and rightfully so) - they are expected to improve!

I fully agree with that mindset, without a doubt. But given Bennett's situation last year I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the candidates. It wasn't just that he had a subpar rookie season, it was really bad. But I guess he'd need to at least average 13-15 points and 6-7 boards to be in the discussion. 8/5 or 10/6 won't cut it, I think.
rebelx
Junior
And1: 69

Post#27 » by rebelx » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:12 am

darbstar's post on another thread:

"I'm just wondering why Bennett is not getting any plays called for him down low? The only shot he gets is 18 ft out. The guy was picked no.1 in the draft he obviously showed amazing potential in college it would nice to see him be given an opportunity to show what he can do down low near the basket. What have the wolves got to lose? They are getting hammered anyway. Also y isn't shabazz getting more minutes? He has been playing very hard. Can we please trade pek already he is useless in defence and just clogs the lane and stops the ball flowing on offence"

I'm wondering this myselft. If the Cavs would've given Bennet the minutes and attention that Wiggins is getting in Minnesota, Bennett would not have had the season that he had last year. He proved it over and over in the games that they did give him minutes in. I would love to see Minnesota giving Bennett the same attention that they're giving Wiggins....he didn't deserve what Cleveland did to him, and no rookie would've succeeded under those circumstances.....

The problem in Minnesota is the acquisition of Thad Young is naturally going to limit Bennett's minutes at the PF position....so the question is, can Bennett or Thad play SF and/or C minutes? I tend to think you could give either one of them limited minutes at SF....and I also feel that Bennett could play minutes at C against certain teams and certain lineups. From head to toe, Bennett may not have C size....but from fingertips to floor, he's close and probably has a higher reach than some short-armed centers.

In fact, it very well could be a key to more succcess....running a small lineup out there that can make the other team defend the length of the court. I would think AB could beat 90% of NBA centers down the court in transition. When you already have a center that struggles defending his position (Pek) you may as well go small.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#28 » by minimus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:56 am

rebelx wrote:darbstar's post on another thread:

"I'm just wondering why Bennett is not getting any plays called for him down low? The only shot he gets is 18 ft out. The guy was picked no.1 in the draft he obviously showed amazing potential in college it would nice to see him be given an opportunity to show what he can do down low near the basket. What have the wolves got to lose? They are getting hammered anyway. Also y isn't shabazz getting more minutes? He has been playing very hard. Can we please trade pek already he is useless in defence and just clogs the lane and stops the ball flowing on offence"

I'm wondering this myselft. If the Cavs would've given Bennet the minutes and attention that Wiggins is getting in Minnesota, Bennett would not have had the season that he had last year. He proved it over and over in the games that they did give him minutes in. I would love to see Minnesota giving Bennett the same attention that they're giving Wiggins....he didn't deserve what Cleveland did to him, and no rookie would've succeeded under those circumstances.....

The problem in Minnesota is the acquisition of Thad Young is naturally going to limit Bennett's minutes at the PF position....so the question is, can Bennett or Thad play SF and/or C minutes? I tend to think you could give either one of them limited minutes at SF....and I also feel that Bennett could play minutes at C against certain teams and certain lineups. From head to toe, Bennett may not have C size....but from fingertips to floor, he's close and probably has a higher reach than some short-armed centers.

In fact, it very well could be a key to more succcess....running a small lineup out there that can make the other team defend the length of the court. I would think AB could beat 90% of NBA centers down the court in transition. When you already have a center that struggles defending his position (Pek) you may as well go small.

Does Bennet have good post up game? If so he could score against some undersized PFs
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,921

Post#29 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:01 am

It's not a coincidence that most pick-and-pop/perimeter PFs are considered undersized. They move out to the perimeter because that's where they have an advantage. By moving Bennett to the low block, not only do you clog the paint with he and the center, but you also take away the advantage he would have on his defender.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AttackTheRack
Junior
And1: 82

Post#30 » by AttackTheRack » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:22 am

Kid needs to step back a foot. Got a good looking stroke. Quick and confident.
TWInsider
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#31 » by TWInsider » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:26 pm

I agree, treat Bennet like a number one pick. Give him trust and real minutes.
Anyway, where are not going anywhere, anytime soon, so this should have priority.
TWInsider wrote:Don't call Wiggins Wiggy. He is supposed to become our superstar. The leader of the pack.

A guy called Wiggy is not going to make that happen. Call him King Wiggins, A-Wolf or whatever.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#32 » by Flight33 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Great game last night. Career high 20 against the Spurs.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,529

Post#33 » by Note30 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:57 am

Hopefully the power forward most affected by KG's return is Anthony Bennett.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,529

Post#34 » by Note30 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:58 am

I could definitely see it. I say we keep Bennett and see how he performs under KG's return, I'm sure he'll be a big motivator for Bennett.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#35 » by Feilong » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:40 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Twolves_PR/status/569216254977843200[/tweet]
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#36 » by NBACommissioner » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Anthony Bennett out at least two weeks. This guy just can't catch a break.
zeemwolves
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#37 » by zeemwolves » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:40 pm

just wondering been watching a lot of videos of this guy lately and it got me thinking... how good can we expect him to be now that we've seen him healthy for a while? i mean there are games where he shows a lot of strengths and others were he's just missing shots... im not a fan of the undersized power forward but this guy can shoot if he gets hot and that can be dangerous... although im liking payne a lot more now i still hope bennett can break through

also in retrospect, the wolves had 2 mid round picks yet id say if i could repeat the entire 2013 draft now, shabazz and Dieng would easily go top 5-7 in my picks, good choices by the wolves... also could say the same for lavine
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#38 » by NBACommissioner » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Did Anthony Bennett die or something? Seriously he was supposed to be out 2 weeks and it's almost a month now. Even some of the T-wolves reports don't mention him, I wonder if he's refusing to play or something because his injury didn't look that bad and there's been no update on him in forever.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#39 » by Saltine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 pm

That's because he sucks, and Flip forgot about him.
;-)
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#40 » by MinneOOPalis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:43 pm

Anthony Bennett is facing the same problems Derrick Williams did. Stuck between positions without many skills to rely on. The thing about Bennett is that is more talented than Dwill. He has a better physique, is a more explosive leaper, and has a beautiful jumper. Right now he lacks heart and a true skill-set. He can hit the pick and pop and make a couple dunks in the lane but what else can he do? He needs to take advantage of his speed as a PF and learn to attack off the dribble.

Bennett may very well be a player who doesn't reach his potential until later in his career after he's matured. He just doesn't seem mentally tough enough to handle the NBA right now. You would think our situation would be beneficial to him. Playing with childhood teammate in Wiggins and having a coach that is willing to go through the growing pains. Maybe a year or two in Europe and the Dleague would be good for him... I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves