ImageImageImage

General Fantasy BBall Discussion Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

General Fantasy BBall Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:01 am

This thread is not for establishing a league or anything, just general fantasy discussions/questions/advice/rate my team sort of stuff.

Here's my team. Just finished the draft. 10 teams/8 categories

PG: Reggie Jackson/Trey Burke
SG: James Harden/Klay Thompson/Bradley Beal
SF: Kawhi Leonard/Chandler Parsons
PF: Pau Gasol/Josh Smith/Jared Sullinger
C: Andre Drummond/Roy Hibbert/Enes Kanter

Thoughts? Obviously I'm weak at PG and strong at SG. Hopefully either Burke breaks out or I can wait out Beal's injury and then flip him or Klay for a PG.

ADVICE PLEASE: I want to dump Kanter. He really only gets points and rebounds and he's mediocre at both, plus there are other players on the Jazz that could take his minutes. Who should I pick up:

Danny Green, Otto Porter Jr., Dion Waiters, Mason Plumlee, KCP, Jarrett Jack, Alec Burks
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,318

Re: General Fantasy BBall Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:24 am

Wow, I missed the draft today and got screwed. I like some of my guys but man, looks like I need to get creative this season.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#3 » by cpfsf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:31 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:ADVICE PLEASE: I want to dump Kanter. He really only gets points and rebounds and he's mediocre at both, plus there are other players on the Jazz that could take his minutes. Who should I pick up:

Danny Green, Otto Porter Jr., Dion Waiters, Mason Plumlee, KCP, Jarrett Jack, Alec Burks

i'd reluctantly choose green over plumlee. it depends on your needs though

i don't know enough about porter to even consider him

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#4 » by Kabookalu » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:This thread is not for establishing a league or anything, just general fantasy discussions/questions/advice/rate my team sort of stuff.

Here's my team. Just finished the draft. 10 teams/8 categories

PG: Reggie Jackson/Trey Burke
SG: James Harden/Klay Thompson/Bradley Beal
SF: Kawhi Leonard/Chandler Parsons
PF: Pau Gasol/Josh Smith/Jared Sullinger
C: Andre Drummond/Roy Hibbert/Enes Kanter

Thoughts? Obviously I'm weak at PG and strong at SG. Hopefully either Burke breaks out or I can wait out Beal's injury and then flip him or Klay for a PG.

ADVICE PLEASE: I want to dump Kanter. He really only gets points and rebounds and he's mediocre at both, plus there are other players on the Jazz that could take his minutes. Who should I pick up:

Good job managing to get Thompson and Drummond. Either one of those guys always gets taken late in the second round/early third in all my drafts. And I'm really high on Jared Sullinger, I think he's going to break out this year.

Seems like where you're weakest at is with assists, but I expect that to improve with some natural progression with some players. With an actual offensive system placed in Golden State Thompson has the potential to double his assists. He's no longer just used as a spot up shooter, and he's done a great job of moving the ball and getting assists in preseason. I'm optimistic that'll continue into the season. Ditto with Sullinger. He's going to be the main man in Boston and he has exemplified great passing skills and high basketball IQ in preseason.

Out of the players you listed Dion Waiters, Jarrett Jack, and Alec Burks are your best choices to bolster assists. Don't think you need Green, his value lies with steals/3s/blocks but you have that very well covered. You're also decent with rebounds on the strength of Sullinger/Drummond alone so I'd rule out Plumlee. Otto Porter and KCP don't give you exactly what you need.

Not sure how I feel about Waiters, I'd keep an eye on him though and track his progression; he's either going to be really good or really bad. Burks is appealing though because he can offset Drummond and Josh Smith's lack of FT%. In the end Jack is more well rounded, Burks will have a much bigger FT% impact.

Or if he's available, Jameer Nelson. Dallas has this magical ability to make every player they've signed perform a lot better than with the team they were with a year before.

I think your fine with blocks, but if you want to up that instead of assists I'd go with Plumlee. Although I think Timofey Mozgov will prove more valuable if he's a free agent; he seems guaranteed the lionshare of minutes at the C spot. He'll give you everything Mason does, but with significantly better FT%.
Read on Twitter
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#5 » by big3_8_19_21 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:44 am

Choker wrote:Good job managing to get Thompson and Drummond. Either one of those guys always gets taken late in the second round/early third in all my drafts. And I'm really high on Jared Sullinger, I think he's going to break out this year.

Seems like where you're weakest at is with assists, but I expect that to improve with some natural progression with some players. With an actual offensive system placed in Golden State Thompson has the potential to double his assists. He's no longer just used as a spot up shooter, and he's done a great job of moving the ball and getting assists in preseason. I'm optimistic that'll continue into the season. Ditto with Sullinger. He's going to be the main man in Boston and he has exemplified great passing skills and high basketball IQ in preseason.

Out of the players you listed Dion Waiters, Jarrett Jack, and Alec Burks are your best choices to bolster assists. Don't think you need Green, his value lies with steals/3s/blocks but you have that very well covered. You're also decent with rebounds on the strength of Sullinger/Drummond alone so I'd rule out Plumlee. Otto Porter and KCP don't give you exactly what you need.

Not sure how I feel about Waiters, I'd keep an eye on him though and track his progression; he's either going to be really good or really bad. Burks is appealing though because he can offset Drummond and Josh Smith's lack of FT%. In the end Jack is more well rounded, Burks will have a much bigger FT% impact.

Or if he's available, Jameer Nelson. Dallas has this magical ability to make every player they've signed perform a lot better than with the team they were with a year before.

I think your fine with blocks, but if you want to up that instead of assists I'd go with Plumlee. Although I think Timofey Mozgov will prove more valuable if he's a free agent; he seems guaranteed the lionshare of minutes at the C spot. He'll give you everything Mason does, but with significantly better FT%.

Thanks for the in depth analysis! Nelson is gone, but I believe Mozgov is still around. Yeah, I picked 5th, so I was pretty happy getting Drummond in the middle of the 3rd and Klay in the 4th. I also grabbed Sullinger in the 13th round. Pretty good value, I think. Of course that's also partially why I'm so weak at PG, but they were the best players available. I think you're right. I'm strong in blocks, steals and 3s. I should be pretty good in points and rebounds as well.

I am weak in assists and I am hoping that Sullinger and especially Klay can raise their assists a bit this season, but one strategy I was considering is more or less throwing in the towel on assists and trying to clinch 3s, steals and blocks by picking up Green since I'm already strong in those areas and then try to win 2 of points, rebounds, FG% and FT% every week. Maybe that's foolish. I currently am scheduled to drop Kanter and have Jack set as my no. 1 waiver wire priority and Green as my no. 2. You might be talking me into Burks, though.

I've been mulling over Mozgov as you suggested as well, but I'm concerned with the number of 4s/5s that they Nuggets have, it could eat into his minutes.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Suhhuhu
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#6 » by Suhhuhu » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:33 pm

If its a 10 team league there is most likely better options than those that you posted, but from those, I'd go with Plumlee or Jack. If he is still there I'd grab Bogdanovic or however is spelled from BKN, he is starting at SF so he is getting minutes.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves