ImageImageImage

Do you regret that we didn

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

NO -
82%
YES -
11%
MAYBE GO WITH ANOTHER DEAL (BOSTON ? BULLS ?)
7%

Total votes: 57

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#1 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:01 pm

1º - I know it's too early to make any conclusions, but im i'm going to discuss this anyway.
2º - My english still isn't very good, so... :lol:
3º - I´m talking about this because after the 1st week of K.Thompson, that he was AMAZING and of course the Warriors fans started talking about, how after all, they made the right choice (understandable)
4º - Glenn Taylor confirmed that a Wolves / Warriors deal was close to happend, so i think the Warriors possible deal was the one that we really consider above the others.
5º - Several reports were saying that the deal was:

Wolves get: K.Thompson + D.Lee + H.Barnes + 1st round pick 2015
Warriors get: K.Love + K.Martin + 13th pick (*Z.Lavine) *could have chosen another.

6º - I´m not going include T.Young because i´m think the deal would have happened the same with Philadelphia (Maybe the 1st round 2015 from the Warriors + Mbah a Moute and Shved)

7º - So, what you think ? I mean, could we have been a playoff team by now with most ready players right now, or you still that the future is going to be more exciting with this guys that we trade and draft vs the guys from the Warriors ?

8º - My personal opinion on this.

I still go with a NO, we got a great deal.

But

I was excited about this deal with Warriors, the few of us that were excited, the other was Krapinsky i think that defend the deal. Was the D.Lee and extension of K.Thompson the discussion.
So, but i got to say that the only deal that i wasn´t excited to take was the Boston. I liked the Cleveland / Warriors / Bulls, all of them were possible great deals IMO.

so :

Current roster vs

Rubio / Mo / Barea*
K.Thompson / Budinger / GRIII
H.Barnes / C.Brewer / Bazz
T.Young / D.Lee / R.Hummel
Pekovic / Dieng / Turiag
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Re: Do you regret that we didn 

Post#2 » by Note30 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:06 pm

No. What we got was an amazing value. Yes the player you listed are better in the GS trade, BUT we would have zero-capspace and have to pay Klay Thompson the max a deal I personally believe he isn't worth. The K-Love trade was the best trade we've made in franchise history.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,239

Post#3 » by Murphs56 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Too early to say although you can't help look at Klay Thompson and say damn that dude is good
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#4 » by King Malta » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Nup. I also think we got excellent value from CLE and have seen enough from the young lads so far to be pretty excited about what we have here in the long term.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#5 » by The J Rocka » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm a pretty big Barnes fan but not taking back Martin, asking for the 13th pick, and having to pay Klay all that money to be stuck in mediocrity most likely isn't a win in the long run.

I'm happy with Wiggins & co.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#6 » by PZiv » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:36 pm

only other deal that was as good as, was Chicago deal.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#7 » by wildvikeswolves » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:46 pm

No, not even close. We got a way better deal
Gideon
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#8 » by Gideon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:55 pm

No. This year, with Rubio on the court, we were playing like an above .500 team... CHI and MEM are two of the best teams in the league, and we gave them very close battles, and we took care of business vs. BKN and DET. Our pieces just fit SO well at the beginning of this year (and they will again in the future).

And Wiggins is only touching the absolute beginning of his potential... even if he doesn't fully pan out, he should be at least an above-average starter who fits the team identity great. But he absolutely could still become a superstar... if you look at first seasons from straight-out-of-HS guys, LeBron's NBA-readyness is an exception. Even KG and Kobe are examples of guys who needed time to click, so I'm happy with Wiggins at the moment. And Thad Young, while obviously less integral in the long run, is a really good player who is perfect for the team identity right now, too.

Klay Thompson has a pretty defined ceiling IMO -- his comparison may be Mitch Richmond, basically. That's really good, but Wiggins's comparison could still be Scottie Pippen (who also struggled a bit early on), which is another tier entirely. And you always go for the high ceiling guy unless you just need one more piece to contend for a title.

I feel that between Rubio and Wiggins, we likely have our two core guys for years to come... I like many of the other guys, and some will surely stick around, but it's really about Rubio and Wiggins, and right now one is hurt and the other is still figuring out the league and growing into his body, and Thad Young (our current #2 or #3 impact guy) is out right now, too, so it makes sense that we're struggling.

I also think Rubio's overall impact is just vastly underrated; his advanced metric samples without Love (both for Minny and in FIBA) demonstrate Rubio's difference-making ability isn't just an effect of playing with Love. I think we're just in a situation where the core player on our team being out has us really adrift... I'd compare it to Memphis last year with Gasol injured, but they were a 55-60 win team playing like a 40-win team (forget their exact non-Gasol record, so I could be off slightly on their %) and we're a 40-45-win team playing like a 20-win team... but it's the same basic effect proportionately.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#9 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:04 am

Dangit, meant to say no, fat fingers selected yes.

Its a definite no.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#10 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:06 am

Thompson would probably make a pretty sweet pair with Rubio, but I didn't want anything to do with Thompson after his daddy went on a national tour to make sure everybody was aware how sad his baby boy would be if he was sentenced to play in Minnesota. Barnes/Lee and Bennett/Young is around the same level. All in all, we'd still be a suckass team with Rubio out, so might as well go with the younger core since this turnaround is going to take awhile.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#11 » by southern wolf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:06 am

Wait, didn't the Warriors deny ever offering Thompson?

Anyway, it's an obvious no. You don't pass up the chance to get a potential franchise player, which is what we got in Wiggins. Thompson is nice, but he'll never be a franchise player.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#12 » by Flight33 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:36 am

Nah lol. Wiggins has more upside than Klay.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#13 » by Sugarless » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:55 pm

We don't know if the deal was on the table or not, and even though I always liked that option more than Chicago's, I still wouldn't have taken it above Wiggins, Bennet and Thad. At the end of the day it's Klay Thompson on a max contract and David Lee's albatros vs Wiggins on a rookie deal, plus Bennet, LaVine and Thad Young.

I also don't think Thompson + Lee + Barnes + 1st was ever a possibility, although I still think HB can be a very good player and it would have been nice to get him on that kind of trade.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#14 » by minimus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Klay looks like ideal SG to play with RR. But Jimmy Butler gets so many FTs and plays very good defense so I prefer him over any other SG. Also there is Bennett factor, if he ever develops into solid PF, CLE offer will the best by far.
P.S. If there any chance that we can get JB as FA market?

In Rubio We Trust
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#15 » by Feilong » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Since MIN doesn't know how to develop players i always go with the "ready" players option (GSW,CHI).
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#16 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Feilong wrote:Since MIN doesn't know how to develop players i always go with the "ready" players option (GSW,CHI).

Yeah that Kevin Garnett sure turned out to be a bust
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#17 » by Feilong » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Klomp wrote:
Feilong wrote:Since MIN doesn't know how to develop players i always go with the "ready" players option (GSW,CHI).

Yeah that Kevin Garnett sure turned out to be a bust

We had tons of 1st round picks in the last decade. How many are still playing for us?? Hmmm maybe only one? A guy who was already ready to play in the NBA.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#18 » by urinesane » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:39 pm

This thread is dumb.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#19 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:44 pm

urinesane wrote:This thread is dumb.

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#20 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm glad that sulking pos is not on our team. I hate him for some reason.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves