ImageImageImage

Minnesota Timberwolves-2019 NBA Champions, How to get there?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Minnesota Timberwolves-2019 NBA Champions, How to get there? 

Post#1 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:55 pm

So, let´s imagine Flip Saunders or Glenn Taylor asks you to do a plan to be champions in 2019 (5 year plan). Or at least try.
What goals do you set ?

I´ll go first. :lol:

1. Like i said before, i dont like the Flip Suanders coach/President, forget the part of him being a minority owner. Flip as president only.

2. Hired a coach for the next 5 years, a coach known as defensive coach 1st, like a lot people said, you win championships on defence 1st.

3. I build a team around Rubio / Wiggins and if we get luckly and get a top-5 pick, we can draft a big C that can provide defending the rim, great (Towns - Turner - Okafor)

We also have lockdown for the next 4/5 years, Dieng / Shabazz / Benett / Lavine.
Like someone over here said, Lavine looks like a J.Crawford, so he can provide that 6th man type player.
My only doubt about this 4 is Benett, can he be the starter PF that we need for the future, i believe he can. The other 3 can be great bench players.

Looking at this team what I Missing here ?

IMO is a shooter, if we could make a trade for B.McLemore or Stauskas (in a T.Young deal) GREAT.

PG - Rubio /
SG - McLemore or Stauskas / Z.Lavine
SF - Wiggins / Shabazz
PF - A.Benett /
C - Towns or Turner or Okafor / Dieng

We also would need veterans by 2019 to help of course, but that would be the main core.

Of course all of this always depends how the players develop.

But if the ceilling of this players turns out to be real, and if we stuck with this team together for the 4-5 years.
there you have it, a championship team for 2019. :wink:

4. I also would like too see a different culture, maybe is just me, but for example, lately I've noticed that we may be losing by 10, 15, 20 and i see players laughting on the bench as if nothing had happened, it´s not from this season, when we were fighting for the playoffs with K.Love, that happend, and that is bad, Because it seems that the players don´t care sometimes, and they take a little bit advantage for Minnesota being a nice place, with nice people that dont going to bother you about that.
I don´t see the Spurs players laughting if they are loosing by 10, same as almost every team on the league.

So, Make your master plan to win the Championship in 2019 ?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Minnesota Timberwolves-2019 NBA Champions, How to get th 

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Draft Turner and try to steal some less heralded restricted free agents like Biyombo,
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:07 pm

i made it more comprehensive and wacky:

Trade Kevin Martin/Dieng for Derrick Williams/McLemore
Trade Brewer for TPE and a future 2nd or whatever
Trade Pekovic/Young/Budinger for Lopez/KG/Teletovic

Offseason:
*Lopez exercises PO so he and Robin can go sign with the same team. KG retires. Withdraw qualifying offer and let D-Will walk.
*Draft Turner.
*Sign Biyombo and O'Quinn to offer sheets and reformulate frontcourt into size/defense/shooting.
*Sign Lin for backup PG and Sign Heslip for 3rd PG for add'l Canadian power.
*Give Wes Matthews lots of money

Turner/O'Quinn/Biyombo
Bennett/Teletovic/O'Quinn
Wiggins/Muhammad/GR3
Matthews/McLemore/Lavine
Rubio/Lin/Heslip
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#4 » by C.lupus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:27 pm

Not to sound pessimistic but five years isn't near enough time for the Wolves to win a championship without trading for a Lebron/Durant level player. In five years Rubio and Dieng will be in their prime, Bennett will just be entering his prime, and Wiggins, LaVine, and any draft pick will still be a few years away (Wiggins will still only be 24). If we are going to rely on development and drafting (and I think that's Minny's only true option), then a ten year plan is probably more realistic, or at least a 7-8 year plan.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#5 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Dec 1, 2014 5:24 pm

C.lupus wrote:Not to sound pessimistic but five years isn't near enough time for the Wolves to win a championship without trading for a Lebron/Durant level player. In five years Rubio and Dieng will be in their prime, Bennett will just be entering his prime, and Wiggins, LaVine, and any draft pick will still be a few years away (Wiggins will still only be 24). If we are going to rely on development and drafting (and I think that's Minny's only true option), then a ten year plan is probably more realistic, or at least a 7-8 year plan.

That sounds to pessimistic, i mean, we could be the OKC (a lot of people saying that). Of course a lot of good things / luck got to happend, and our Young players need to develop well, but 10 year plan ? Rubio by than is with 34.

If we were talking about this franchise bad luck + bad management ? I get it the 10 years plan.
But if we were talking only about basketball ? 5-7 years plan is more realistic IMO for every team that is starting to build a team to win championship, or be contenders = reaching NBA finals.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#6 » by C.lupus » Mon Dec 1, 2014 6:05 pm

Well you did say NBA Champions in your original post, not just making the finals. :wink: OKC has yet to win a championship and this is Durant's 8th season and Westbrook's 7th. Yes, they made the finals in the lockout-shortened season but that really should be an asterisk season.

If you want to relax the standards and say be a legit contender in five years, then OK, I'll buy that. It's going to take two of Wiggins/Rubio/LaVine/Bennett/draft pick turning into top 10 NBA players and a team that plays quality defense, though. Honestly I think we have to see how these young pups develop for a couple years then figure out the surrounding pieces.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,138

Post#7 » by GopherIt! » Mon Dec 1, 2014 7:41 pm

C.lupus wrote:Not to sound pessimistic but five years isn't near enough time for the Wolves to win a championship without trading for a Lebron/Durant level player. In five years Rubio and Dieng will be in their prime, Bennett will just be entering his prime, and Wiggins, LaVine, and any draft pick will still be a few years away (Wiggins will still only be 24). If we are going to rely on development and drafting (and I think that's Minny's only true option), then a ten year plan is probably more realistic, or at least a 7-8 year plan.

The Wolves are on their third ten year plan in seven years. I will be happy if we can stick to one plan.

Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#8 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Dec 1, 2014 8:21 pm

C.lupus wrote: OKC has yet to win a championship and this is Durant's 8th season and Westbrook's 7th. Yes, they made the finals in the lockout-shortened season but that really should be an asterisk season.

They have also been unlucky with injuries going to playoffs. Westbrook 2 years ago, Ibaka last year.
When they reach the finals against Miami 2012 i think, they were cleary the favorites at time to win.

It did not take that long for them to Win. Not the championship, but they were/are close.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Re: AW: Minnesota Timberwolves-2019 NBA Champions, How to ge 

Post#9 » by Foye » Tue Dec 2, 2014 12:59 pm

The best way to get there? Tank this already lost season for a high draft pick and go for the best big men prospect available, preferably a C. Then start competing next year.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves