ImageImageImage

DA KID IS HOME - KG returns vs Wizards 7PM

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

pacers33
Rookie
And1: 1,304

Re: DA KID IS HOME - KG returns vs Wizards 7PM 

Post#361 » by pacers33 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:31 am

Minnesota looks like an awesome place to play. Just wanted to say those fans showed that they cared. Also, this community here on RealGM has some of the best posters on the site.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#362 » by LesGrossman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:
Foye wrote:
Klomp wrote: :crazy:

There is no reason to throw LaVine under the bus before we have even seen him play his natural position.

What I do hope, though, is that they are telling him every day to go to the basket. He is the quickest player on the court in 90% of all cases. In theory nobody should be able to stop him from driving to the hoop and dropping the basketball in the orange ring .

Truth, that's why they gotta tell the center to get out once in a while. Kinda difficult for him to attack when Pek or Dieng are just planted there/give him a pick then roll right toward the basket

He is quick and explosive going forward / upward. I dont see the same quickness in lateral movements and i dont see much variation or finesse when finishing close to the hoop. I've seen this with kids that had exception athletic ability (or were ahead of their mates at that age); they stopped developing skills simply because they werent neccessary. I can imagine that Lavine's athletic abilities were sufficient in school or college (havent seen anything of him there tbh). I dont know what i may be missing, maybe you can point out some basketball related skill he showed so far instead of scratching your head, Klomp?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#363 » by mandurugo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:06 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
Foye wrote:
There is no reason to throw LaVine under the bus before we have even seen him play his natural position.

What I do hope, though, is that they are telling him every day to go to the basket. He is the quickest player on the court in 90% of all cases. In theory nobody should be able to stop him from driving to the hoop and dropping the basketball in the orange ring .

Truth, that's why they gotta tell the center to get out once in a while. Kinda difficult for him to attack when Pek or Dieng are just planted there/give him a pick then roll right toward the basket

He is quick and explosive going forward / upward. I dont see the same quickness in lateral movements and i dont see much variation or finesse when finishing close to the hoop. I've seen this with kids that had exception athletic ability (or were ahead of their mates at that age); they stopped developing skills simply because they werent neccessary. I can imagine that Lavine's athletic abilities were sufficient in school or college (havent seen anything of him there tbh). I dont know what i may be missing, maybe you can point out some basketball related skill he showed so far instead of scratching your head, Klomp?

You should watch some more highlight reels! LaVine has shown quite a bit of creativity with his lay-ins in traffic. Plus he has shown he's quite capable of jumping in traffic. Not sure what you're not seeing in this part of his game.

I do agree with the idea of telling him to stop worrying about running an offense and just attacking. He still seems a bit overwhelmed trying to run the point. But if he can learn to drive and attack and drive and dish, that's enough for an emergency point guard.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#364 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:25 pm

So happy for you guys. KG came full circle and is back home. He's going to be invaluable to your locker room. He knows what it takes to show the young guys how to win and compete. He's adored in Boston forever. We shoulda won 3 championships with him, but injuries at the wrong times screwed us out of it. Sour grapes, water under the bridge. It happens a lot in the NBA. Sometimes it's not the best team that wins but the least injured.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#365 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Still cant believe KG is back. The 1st qtr was anticlimatic but it was understandable because the young guys were probably overwhelmed by the playoff type atmosphere in the Target Center. We needed a guy like KG. He can anchor the defense even without his athleticsm by just pointing guys to their spots and most importantly communication on defense.
Really gave the team and the crowd an energy boost even when he's on the bench.
Before, we have a promising crop of young talents but we dont know if it will pan out. Now with KG on board, i believe.
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

Btw, when did Pek got his blackeye? tho he looks good with it
Trust the PRosas!
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#366 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Nitroglycerin wrote:Btw, when did Pek got his blackeye? tho he looks good with it

The Houston game. Motiejunas elbowed him in the eye.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#367 » by funkatron101 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:11 pm

Note30 wrote:
funkatron101 wrote:
Klomp wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/570806591425007617[/tweet]

Minnesotans love charming "good character" guys. It is why we embraced Rubio from the start, and why Kevin Love never got the same attention.

Success and longevity can push Rubio to a similar status as KG, I feel.

What about Wiggins?

We'll see!

A great prospect. A nice kid. He certainly has the makings of being on the same level, but I think he lacks the charisma right now.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#368 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:20 pm

Wiggins is a more reserved kind of guy but he's still very likable. That smile of his is infectious.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#369 » by Narf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:20 pm

mandurugo wrote:You should watch some more highlight reels! LaVine has shown quite a bit of creativity with his lay-ins in traffic. Plus he has shown he's quite capable of jumping in traffic. Not sure what you're not seeing in this part of his game.

I do agree with the idea of telling him to stop worrying about running an offense and just attacking. He still seems a bit overwhelmed trying to run the point. But if he can learn to drive and attack and drive and dish, that's enough for an emergency point guard.

I think Flip made him PG to teach him some basic skills and tank, not because they thought that was his position of the future.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#370 » by mandurugo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Narf wrote:
mandurugo wrote:You should watch some more highlight reels! LaVine has shown quite a bit of creativity with his lay-ins in traffic. Plus he has shown he's quite capable of jumping in traffic. Not sure what you're not seeing in this part of his game.

I think Flip made him PG to teach him some basic skills and tank, not because they thought that was his position of the future.

Oh, I agree - and I think it was a good idea. Now that he's had a chance to run the offense and see what he gets and what he needs to work on I'm just ready to transition his responsibilities to a slightly smaller skill-set. I think he'd get some valuable experience spending more time with other point guards while he absorbs the lessons he's learned and concentrates on his natural game.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#371 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:22 pm

I feel like more often than not, when Lavine drives to the basket he makes the right decision. He's gotta work on finishing consistently but he has shot that soft bank shot well and more impressively made crisp timely passes off penetration consistently.

Another problem is that it is either a 3 or a drive to the rim. It's obviously a sign of his youth and inexperience but yeah, still gotta develop a mid range shot and a floater. I love his shooting stroke and his free throw % is fantastic so I'm optimistic he can get all these things down next year or the year after that.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#372 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:33 pm

LaVine will be able to finish a lot better when he gets stronger, too. He definitely needs to hit the weights in the offseason.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#373 » by Mattya » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Yeah once he gets stronger it will make a world of difference. He gets knocked off his balance with the slightest contact. He has to learn to go up off two feet as well.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#374 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:Another problem is that it is either a 3 or a drive to the rim. It's obviously a sign of his youth and inexperience but yeah, still gotta develop a mid range shot and a floater.

But, but, but..........analytics
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#375 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Full Jiggly Boy video.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_tnQdHU7Vg[/youtube]
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#376 » by NBACommissioner » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Note30 wrote:
funkatron101 wrote:
Klomp wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/570806591425007617[/tweet]

Minnesotans love charming "good character" guys. It is why we embraced Rubio from the start, and why Kevin Love never got the same attention.

Success and longevity can push Rubio to a similar status as KG, I feel.

What about Wiggins?

Toronto is already preparing themselves to get him and he's not a UFA for 4-7 years. The Wolves better be contending for a title by than or he's gone.
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#377 » by NBACommissioner » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:13 pm

C.lupus wrote:Full Jiggly Boy video.

HAHA that was **** hilarious.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Post#378 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Does anybody remember jiggly boy from 2003? I don't remember that at all.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#379 » by funkatron101 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

Does anybody remember jiggly boy from 2003? I don't remember that at all.

I didn't go to a ton of games that year, but he seems vaguely familiar. After all these years, the time out stuff really becomes a blur.

Heck, there was a similar looking guy about 3-4 seasons ago having a dance off vs a little black kid.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#380 » by Mattya » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:42 pm

I remember him :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves