ImageImageImage

The fact that GRIII is still on the team tells me. . .

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

JimBreuer45
Freshman
And1: 21

The fact that GRIII is still on the team tells me. . . 

Post#1 » by JimBreuer45 » Tue Mar 3, 2015 8:08 pm

they must not have a lot of hope for him. I think they're just using him for practice, since we're so shorthanded/injury prone. If management had long-term plans for him, don't you think they'd have sent him to the D-League to gain some game experience?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Re: The fact that GRIII is still on the team tells me. . . 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Tue Mar 3, 2015 8:14 pm

Not necessarily. With the way we've been getting injured, they might not feel comfortable sending him out. It's not like he's been inactive. Plus the D-league kind of sucks since we share a team with a bunch of other teams. I don't think we can even guarantee they use GR3 the way we want.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#3 » by AQuintus » Tue Mar 3, 2015 8:14 pm

They were going to send him to the D-league, but then Shabazz got hurt. They're keeping him around because they need some injury insurance.
JimBreuer45
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#4 » by JimBreuer45 » Tue Mar 3, 2015 8:42 pm

Agreed, AQuintas. So they're vauing him as an insurance policy more than a piece for the future. If they viewed him as a piece for the future I doubt they'd be cool with him practicing a couple times a week and watching games. Just my opinion.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#5 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:54 pm

He shouldn't be brought back next year if he can't get minutes over Budinger. I've said that we need to see how he looks to know if he is worth matching/resigning next year but this inaction is telling me enough. He must really be sucking in practice to not get 5-10 minutes in a season which is now about getting the youngins reps while still competeing. I'd rather buyout Chase next year, not resign GR3 and hope that one or two of our 2nd rounders(currently #33 & #37) or a free agent can fill those deeper spots. Obviously I'm basing this on inaction rather than action but if nothing changes I'd rather have free roster spots.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:01 pm

SF has been our deepest position. The fact they've kept him over picking up an extra big or PG means they don't want to give up on him yet.
He'll probably at least be brought into camp and allowed to compete.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#7 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:24 pm

The former Lake Central and University of Michigan standout was a second-round pick (40th overall) in the 2014 draft and would be getting valuable minutes in the NBDL if the Timberwolves hadn't been plagued by injuries.

"That was our intent," coach Flip Saunders said. "Unfortunately, we haven't been able to do that. We had to have him at practice and to be available for games.

"To his benefit, he hasn't gotten game-type situations but he's gotten great practice situations playing against great players on a daily basis. It hasn't hindered him from a developmental standpoint."

Fortunately, GR3 has a guiding light in teammate Robbie Hummel, a Valparaiso grad who starred at Purdue and is in his second season with Minnesota.

They often sit together on the plane, talking about life back in the region and their pro careers.

"A good thing is we've had our shooting coach, Mike Penberthy, really help me bring my game to a different level even though I'm not playing," Robinson said.

"He's really making me see the game a different way when I am on the bench, watching."

Robinson started all 37 games at Michigan last season but has appeared briefly in only 25 with the Timberwolves.

"Yeah, there's a little part of me that wishes I would've got more playing time here or been sent down," Robinson said. "I have to stay positive and learn from it.

"I'm a winner. I think everybody out here is a winner but to be losing games like we have been can be tough at times when you come from winning programs. But this league is different. Great teams every night."

The Wolves are 13-45 overall and 5-23 on the road.

Their last winning season was 2004-05.

"I believe I can have a real role on this team playing the wing and having that kind of diversity between offense and defense," said the 6-foot-7, 222-pound Robinson.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketba ... 75322.html
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,135

Post#8 » by GopherIt! » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:36 pm

I think Flip keeps him. He fits the mold of the super athletic guys we've been adding to play along side Rubio.

He is a high flier, according to DX, GR3 and Zach tested out with the same 41.5" vertical.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#9 » by southern wolf » Wed Mar 4, 2015 1:58 am

His season high in minutes is 12 and he very rarely gets over five. I just want to see him get at least 15-20 minutes for a little while to see what we've really got in him.
SaskaBall
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#10 » by SaskaBall » Wed Mar 4, 2015 2:17 am

GopherIt! wrote:I think Flip keeps him. He fits the mold of the super athletic guys we've been adding to play along side Rubio.

He is a high flier, according to DX, GR3 and Zach tested out with the same 41.5" vertical.

His personal best vert is 44", which puts our youth wing athleticism at godly levels
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#11 » by andyhop » Wed Mar 4, 2015 3:01 am

He is also a restricted free agent at the end of the year so hiding him if you think he might show enough to get an offer bigger than you'd like to match makes sense if you believe he can be a player down the line
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Grits n Gravy
General Manager

Post#12 » by Grits n Gravy » Wed Mar 4, 2015 4:25 am

andyhop wrote:He is also a restricted free agent at the end of the year so hiding him if you think he might show enough to get an offer bigger than you'd like to match makes sense if you believe he can be a player down the line

OR it pisses off him and his agent/agency and sends out a message to the agents clients and other agents about how the Timberwolves treat young players. I don't think this is the case at all and would be a complete dick move by Flip is this did play into his decisions.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#13 » by minimus » Wed Mar 4, 2015 5:22 am

I hope that Flip will figure out GR3 situation this summer. I still see in GR3 our Battier: strong enough to defend SF, high BBIQ, good 3pt shooter.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#14 » by mandurugo » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:06 pm

Bizarre. So they kept him all year when they desperately needed roster space only to release him now?

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/timberw ... on-waivers
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#15 » by packforfreedom » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:42 pm

lol what?
Grits n Gravy
General Manager

Post#16 » by Grits n Gravy » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:48 pm

Can't say I'm surprised. If he couldn't get minutes in our depleted state now, over the likes of Budinger then he must not have shown much in practice. Anyone know much about Hamilton?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#17 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:56 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:Anyone know much about Hamilton?

Videos in the other thread.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,135

Post#18 » by GopherIt! » Fri Mar 6, 2015 12:34 am

Doh!
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#19 » by Foye » Fri Mar 6, 2015 9:11 am

I actually thought he looked like he might turn out a solid role player in the summer league. He played ok-ish there.

Not sure why (maybe he didn't show enough in practice) but Flip never gave him a chance. When he played then only in garbage time sometimes even as PF. :crazy:

Not a huge loss but I would've kept him around over Hummel. Shame he never got an opportunity here.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#20 » by southern wolf » Fri Mar 6, 2015 11:20 am

Philly or the Knicks will probably sign Robinson and start him and he'll blow up.

Never played more than 12 minutes in a game for the Wolves, he was never given a decent shot to succeed really, which is unforgivable on a terrible team like ours. Taylor's probably wishing he sold the pick like usual.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves