Blazers v. Wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Re: Blazers v. Wolves 

Post#81 » by LesGrossman » Sun Mar 8, 2015 6:59 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:I dont see Pek coming out of his slump because the main issue is not on the offensive end. He got burned on several PnR's AGAIN and he did not help on guard penetration by Lillard at all. And that is unsolvable. I watched yesterdays games and found myself thinking what a team this would be with Tyson Chandler on it.

I think his defensive impact in this game was still bigger than Dieng's. Gorgui's airblocks directly led to more than a couple of points

Dieng needs to stop the stupid jumping. But then he is still a young player and he has potential to develop. He has a good body to become a decent center in this league. Pek cannot change much about his weight and you cant cheat physics. Wether either of them will suffice to lead to a playoff position is still questionable.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#82 » by AQuintus » Sun Mar 8, 2015 9:54 pm

Worm Guts wrote:trading K-Mart

I expect that this will happen sometime before next year's trade deadline.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#83 » by Worm Guts » Sun Mar 8, 2015 10:06 pm

I don't expect K-Mart to be traded until he's not our best shooting guard. That could be by the deadline, but I wouldn't bet on it.
DutchBoy
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#84 » by DutchBoy » Sun Mar 8, 2015 10:10 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I don't expect K-Mart to be traded until he's not our best shooting guard. That could be by the deadline, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It all depends on whether the Wolves are pushing for a playoff spot next season. If so, then he'll stay on for the remainder of the season. If not, he's gone.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#85 » by C.lupus » Sun Mar 8, 2015 11:11 pm

You guys are underestimating how much Flip likes KMart.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,920

Post#86 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 9, 2015 2:22 am

C.lupus wrote:You guys are underestimating how much Flip likes KMart.

That is true. However, I think he may eventually realize that Neal offers many of the same qualities as Martin at a cheaper price.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#87 » by Saltine » Mon Mar 9, 2015 5:25 am

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#88 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Mar 9, 2015 5:36 am

I think Kmart should stay on the team...but in a 6th man roll. Have Wiggins slide to the 2 and start the game with Shabazz. When Shabazz comes out Wiggins can slide to the 3 and Martin to the 2. And then you can replace Wiggins for Shabazz when Wiggins needs a rest and play Martin and Shabazz. Then you can get Lavine some time at the 2 as well.

I'm really fine with our perimeter players being Rubio, Lavine, Martin, Wiggins, Shabazz, and Neal for floor spacing.

For the 3 positions there's a combined 144 minutes. Rubio and Wiggins will both get 35 minutes a night so that's 74 minutes left for Martin, Lavine, Shabazz, and Neal to share. That leaves about 25 minutes a game next year for Martin and Shabazz which sounds about right. Lavine and Neal depending on the matchup can use a combo of the remaining 24ish minutes. If Lavine shows some progression you could start to look to move Martin.

Another back-up PG is probably needed, although I'm fine with Lavine carrying the ball up court on the 2nd unit. But he should focus on driving and dishing and attacking. He can get into the lane at will...if he can learn how to run the pick and roll servicably and drive and dish to the corners I think that's fine considering it's not like Rubio is going to be off the floor for huge extended stretches anyways.

I'd rather the team focus on moving Pek (assuming the wolves go big man in the draft). I'm not sure if KG sticks around, but if he does I'm hoping it will be more as a mentor role because Bennett and Payne need at least a season of some rope to burn to see what they are made of. I think you continue to develop Dieng as a PF (he's got the skills) and a back-up C.

IN:

2015 1st round draft pick
Neman Bjelica
Defensive Center (Justin Hamilton? 2nd round pick? FA?)
Natural back up pg (Brown? 2nd round pick? FA?)

Out:

Budinger
Pekovic
KG? (i'm just going to go with retiring for now)

Next Year's Deadline:

Look to trade Martin and/or Neal if the value is right.

Core:

Rubio PG
Lavine PG/SG
Wiggins SG/SF
Shabazz SF
Dieng PF/C
2015 1st rounder

And you'd hope at least one of Bennett/Payne/Bjelica could start to seperate themselves and show they could be a solid rotation back up big. Payne's almost shown me enough to make me believe that at worst he's could be a 10-20min back up PF because he at least brings it energy wise.

Who disagrees with that plan?
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#89 » by Note30 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 6:15 am

TheZachAttack wrote:I think Kmart should stay on the team...but in a 6th man roll. Have Wiggins slide to the 2 and start the game with Shabazz. When Shabazz comes out Wiggins can slide to the 3 and Martin to the 2. And then you can replace Wiggins for Shabazz when Wiggins needs a rest and play Martin and Shabazz. Then you can get Lavine some time at the 2 as well.

I'm really fine with our perimeter players being Rubio, Lavine, Martin, Wiggins, Shabazz, and Neal for floor spacing.

For the 3 positions there's a combined 144 minutes. Rubio and Wiggins will both get 35 minutes a night so that's 74 minutes left for Martin, Lavine, Shabazz, and Neal to share. That leaves about 25 minutes a game next year for Martin and Shabazz which sounds about right. Lavine and Neal depending on the matchup can use a combo of the remaining 24ish minutes. If Lavine shows some progression you could start to look to move Martin.

Another back-up PG is probably needed, although I'm fine with Lavine carrying the ball up court on the 2nd unit. But he should focus on driving and dishing and attacking. He can get into the lane at will...if he can learn how to run the pick and roll servicably and drive and dish to the corners I think that's fine considering it's not like Rubio is going to be off the floor for huge extended stretches anyways.

I'd rather the team focus on moving Pek (assuming the wolves go big man in the draft). I'm not sure if KG sticks around, but if he does I'm hoping it will be more as a mentor role because Bennett and Payne need at least a season of some rope to burn to see what they are made of. I think you continue to develop Dieng as a PF (he's got the skills) and a back-up C.

IN:

2015 1st round draft pick
Neman Bjelica
Defensive Center (Justin Hamilton? 2nd round pick? FA?)
Natural back up pg (Brown? 2nd round pick? FA?)

Out:

Budinger
Pekovic
KG? (i'm just going to go with retiring for now)

Next Year's Deadline:

Look to trade Martin and/or Neal if the value is right.

Core:

Rubio PG
Lavine PG/SG
Wiggins SG/SF
Shabazz SF
Dieng PF/C
2015 1st rounder

And you'd hope at least one of Bennett/Payne/Bjelica could start to seperate themselves and show they could be a solid rotation back up big. Payne's almost shown me enough to make me believe that at worst he's could be a 10-20min back up PF because he at least brings it energy wise.

Who disagrees with that plan?

Me. Partially. Ditch the whole Bjelica thing. Trash Bennett and Budinger and try to make sure KG signs for another year.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#90 » by AQuintus » Mon Mar 9, 2015 6:18 am

Note30 wrote: Ditch the whole Bjelica thing.

Why? He's a solid, young player that won't cost the team anything more than a few million dollars to bring in.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#91 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Mar 9, 2015 6:44 am

Klomp wrote:
C.lupus wrote:You guys are underestimating how much Flip likes KMart.

That is true. However, I think he may eventually realize that Neal offers many of the same qualities as Martin at a cheaper price.

Except that he doesn't. Martin scores more, more efficiently, and for much longer than Neal.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 9, 2015 7:22 am

Saltine wrote:with a $92+ million cap, I can't see Kmart's $7.377 million mattering much in 2016.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19YE4QpTdqmDMzZoV57YEVdovpMkzneEs6lSBszYxM-Q/edit?f=true&noheader=false&gid=19&pli=1#gid=19

Not sure where you're seeing 92 mil cap. That spreadsheet puts salary cap at 78 mil in 16-17..
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#93 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Mar 9, 2015 7:58 am

AQuintus wrote:

Why? He's a solid, young player that won't cost the team anything more than a few million dollars to bring in.

I mean I was thinking I've heard enough good things that it'd be worth a look. He's an interesting player offensively.

Our PF situation is kind of a mess though for real. I really don't know how confident I am about Payne or Bennett ever being starts. And I guess Dieng has been playing a little PF...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 9, 2015 8:21 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:Except that he doesn't. Martin scores more, more efficiently, and for much longer than Neal.

Didn't in the last game

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#95 » by Foye » Mon Mar 9, 2015 8:39 am

Klomp wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Except that he doesn't. Martin scores more, more efficiently, and for much longer than Neal.

Didn't in the last game

Again: 1 of 82 games.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#96 » by shangrila » Mon Mar 9, 2015 8:51 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
AQuintus wrote:

I mean I was thinking I've heard enough good things that it'd be worth a look. He's an interesting player offensively.

Our PF situation is kind of a mess though for real. I really don't know how confident I am about Payne or Bennett ever being starts. And I guess Dieng has been playing a little PF...

The only argument against him, as far as I can tell, is our PF mess as you mentioned. Payne needs minutes to settle the f down out there on the court, KG is needed for his defensive presence and we really should try to get something out of Bennett.

But I'd still bring Bjelica over and try to figure it out later. That mess only really lasts for another season, maybe 2. I highly doubt Bennett turns into anything, Garnett is almost out the door and that only leaves Payne.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#97 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Mar 9, 2015 9:13 am

Klomp wrote:That is true. However, I think he may eventually realize that Neal offers many of the same qualities as Martin at a cheaper price.

Let´s not overrate on what G.Neal brings to Minnesota because of some flashes (same happen with Budinger in past)

Let's not forget that until recently G.Neal was the JJ.Barea of Charlotte, they wanted to get rid of him like we want to get rid of Budinger.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#98 » by minimus » Mon Mar 9, 2015 11:23 am

Neal is closer to pure shooter and as long as Rubio runs the show we can always use good shooter. At the moment Gary is only player who can hit consistently jumper coming off the screens. Saying that I still believe that he is not worth Bud contract 5 mil. But for 2-3 mil I will be more than happy If Flip resigns him.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#99 » by C.lupus » Mon Mar 9, 2015 1:28 pm

Klomp wrote:

Didn't in the last game

We should definitely make Neal part of the future off of one game, lol.

for this season:
Martin: .569 TS%, 17.7 PER, .095 WS/48, 22.1 pts/36
Neal: .484 TS%, 11.3 PER, .034 WS/48, 16.5 pts/36

As Finn said, Martin scores more and does it more efficiently than Neal. Martin at $7.5 million is a better value than Neal at $4 million (if he would even sign for that). And Neal is only a year younger than Martin so it's not like he's part of the young core.

I like Neal and would like to keep him as a backup but there is no logical reason to keep him over Martin.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#100 » by Nitroglycerin » Mon Mar 9, 2015 3:21 pm

Martin is getting so underrated. Martin>>>>Neal
I think genuinely likes Minnesota. Dont see why he cant be part of their long term plan
Trust the PRosas!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves