Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Offseason FA targets. 

Post#141 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:28 pm

horaceworthy wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
guille_4 wrote:I'd love us to target Bismack Biyombo.

He's a very good defensive player, is an unrestricted free agent, is only 22 and has a terrific work ethic.

I like him, but I think our frontcourt is at it's peak capacity. We'd need to make some move first.

As for contract, I'd guess something around 5 mil a year? I'm using Ajinca as a template.

Did the Hornets renounce him or would that be an opportunity to send off Bennett or Payne in a sign and trade?

they had the opportunity to extend a qualifying offer and chose not to so he's free to sign anywhere unencumbered
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#142 » by guille_4 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:33 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
horaceworthy wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:I like him, but I think our frontcourt is at it's peak capacity. We'd need to make some move first.

As for contract, I'd guess something around 5 mil a year? I'm using Ajinca as a template.

Did the Hornets renounce him or would that be an opportunity to send off Bennett or Payne in a sign and trade?

they had the opportunity to extend a qualifying offer and chose not to so he's free to sign anywhere unencumbered

I prefer Biyomb over Payne, Dieng or Bennet.

If we could sign him for 30M/5y....that would be fantastic.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#143 » by mandurugo » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:37 pm

Biyombo is more of a man to man defender, his help defense is supposed to be pretty weak. Plus he hasn't really mastered the offensive game too well... but I guess I have hardly seen him play. Still, feel like a lot of the shine has gone away.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#144 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:00 pm

Charlotte didn't even extend him a QO, are we sure he's not crap?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#145 » by C.lupus » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:08 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Charlotte didn't even extend him a QO, are we sure he's not crap?

I'm pretty sure he is. I've felt he's been seriously overrated for a couple years now.
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#146 » by Peezo » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:19 pm

Seems like a pretty ideal 3rd Center even if he is crap. The only problem is, Pek is our 3rd center. We don't have the roster space for anyone right now.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#147 » by Saltine » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:41 pm

Bismack has the same stone hands problem Asik has, he can't be trusted to catch a pass, and is a poor ball handler. He can't shoot, at all. %.231 on shots from three to ten feet, %.022 on ten to sixteen feet, %.011 from >sixteen feet out. He did set a record high, for him, on free throws, %.583 last season. He can play D and rebound though.

He doesn't really make much sense now that we've added Towns and Bjelica. We have too many bigs.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#148 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:13 am

Saltine wrote:Bismack has the same stone hands problem Asik has, he can't be trusted to catch a pass, and is a poor ball handler. He can't shoot, at all. %.231 on shots from three to ten feet, %.022 on ten to sixteen feet, %.011 from >sixteen feet out. He did set a record high, for him, on free throws, %.583 last season. He can play D and rebound though.

He doesn't really make much sense now that we've added Towns and Bjelica. We have too many bigs.

I'd put Tristan Thompson in that category as well, and somehow he is making out like a bandit. Rich Paul is the best agent ever.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#149 » by Note30 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:32 am

Krapinsky wrote:
Saltine wrote:Bismack has the same stone hands problem Asik has, he can't be trusted to catch a pass, and is a poor ball handler. He can't shoot, at all. %.231 on shots from three to ten feet, %.022 on ten to sixteen feet, %.011 from >sixteen feet out. He did set a record high, for him, on free throws, %.583 last season. He can play D and rebound though.

I'd put Tristan Thompson in that category as well, and somehow he is making out like a bandit. Rich Paul is the best agent ever.[/quote

More like LeBron is the best friend ever.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#150 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:38 am

Krapinsky wrote:

I'd put Tristan Thompson in that category as well, and somehow he is making out like a bandit. Rich Paul is the best agent ever.

When you have the same agent as Lebron and he is holding out to see what the team does before deciding to resign then you are going to do very well. No Lebron, nowhere near this pay day.
mourvedre
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#151 » by mourvedre » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:49 am

I'm a true Timberwolves fan since 2009 and I've seen most of our games, but I'm also a big Biyombo (fell in love with his story and character about when they started to speak about him as a possible nba player) enthusiast and seen most of his NBA minutes, so here is my take.

What's good about Biyombo:

* One of the best rim protectors on the planet. Has the one of a kind athleticism and a feel to block the ball. He alters ton of shots that will never be shown with the stats. With his time in NBA, he has got smarter about it as well. He will not go for it every time and has a better understanding on the flow of the game and when to pick your fights.
* Good rebounder. Has always had the physical tools, but at this point has reasonable fundamentals on all aspects on rebounding. Boxes out on defense and doesn't foul as often as before on offensive glass. Have potential to be very food or even great.
* Sets just perfect screens. Really undervalued part of the game and dying art. When he sets a screen to rubio, rubio will have three seconds to abuse the opposing big.
* Has improved his game every year. Game to the league without any fundamentals and some or most parts of his game were really painful to watch. Since then, he has grown to a player that have built a basic understanding and motor skills of being legit nba player.
* Low risk, high reward potential player. Could be a late bloomer and actually be as good as the most optimistic fans or executives where hoping around the draft. Or he could just continue to develop slowly and become a valuable role player who knows what he can and what he can't do on the floor.
* Perfect teammate and fan favourite. Will be the first one off the bench to cheer for his teammates and first hand to help you up when you are down.

What's bad:

* Stone hands. Yep.
* Not a threat on offensive end and might end up being sagged off by opposing teams to make less driving lanes available for our pops. Have shown flashes of being able to punish opposing teams leaving him alone. Charlotte have never had good passers and this is half of the problem. There were some stunning alley's from Stevenson last season. Will never avarage 10 points in a season, I'm afraid.
* Avarage team defender. You will hear stories about him being ok man to man defender and awful team defender and while it might have been true in his rookie season when he tried to do too much, he has become avarage to avarage+team defender. Has been surrounded by awful defenders and haven't really seen him in working team defense. Seems to have right character to being a great team defender and he takes pride of doing the little things.

Our frontcourt is too packed, and on paper we have our C rotation full, so we aren't probably even thinking about adding him, but I think he could be had for 10/3 years and it's just that his character would be perfect for our core. Could end up being perfect role player for us.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#152 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:39 am

If we are thinking of getting Biyombo, the logical guy on the outs would be Dieng.

It would be cool if Wolves could sign Tristan Thompson at the 4 but too bad he wants that much money. He would be a great fit next to Towns as a beastly rebounder and somebody to help protect the rim.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#153 » by andyhop » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:01 am

Takingbaconback wrote:If we are thinking of getting Biyombo, the logical guy on the outs would be Dieng.

It would be cool if Wolves could sign Tristan Thompson at the 4 but too bad he wants that much money. He would be a great fit next to Towns as a beastly rebounder and somebody to help protect the rim.

Thompson doesn't protect the rim though.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#154 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:08 am

andyhop wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:If we are thinking of getting Biyombo, the logical guy on the outs would be Dieng.

As a weakside PF, I think he does a fantastic job making shots difficult inside. He uses his length well and has very good mobility for such a wide body. But yeah he isn't Gobert or Whiteside who can sit inside as a 5 and protect the rim constantly
andyhop
Analyst

Post#155 » by andyhop » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:09 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
andyhop wrote:

As a weakside PF, I think he does a fantastic job making shots difficult inside. He uses his length well and has very good mobility for such a wide body.

His rim protection % is the same as Love's
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#156 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:20 am

andyhop wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
andyhop wrote:

As a weakside PF, I think he does a fantastic job making shots difficult inside. He uses his length well and has very good mobility for such a wide body.

If you think so, that's not what I see when I watch Thompson and Love play
andyhop
Analyst

Post#157 » by andyhop » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:27 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
andyhop wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:

If you think so, that's not what I see when I watch Thompson and Love play

Its not what I think it is what the numbers are.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#158 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:51 am

Thompson is a great post defender but he's not a shotblocker. Its either he focuses more on boxing out and rebounding or he doesnt have the instincts

Also he is slow at offensive putbacks. He's elite when grabbing the offensive boards but he is slow to put the ball back up, giving the opposing team time to foul him and give him free throws instead which he is bad at
Trust the PRosas!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#159 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:03 am

andyhop wrote:Its not what I think it is what the numbers are.

Numbers showed that Mirotic had a better rookie season than Wiggins, too. Sometimes, you have to look at more than just the numbers.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#160 » by Saltine » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:04 am

And he already agreed to an $82 million dollar, 5 year, deal with Cleveland, so he's not an option. Now he's vastly overpaid, and very lucky he has Lebron's agent, very lucky...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves