ImageImageImage

Warriors about to break some kind of NBA record. Minnesota vs GS Game thread.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Re: Warriors about to break some kind of NBA record. Minnesota vs GS Game thread. 

Post#41 » by Note30 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:51 am

Domejandro wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:
Klomp wrote:If by PF you mean C, then yes, assuming we're in the top 2.

We need a PF in the worst way. Pek and G are quality bigs

Pekovic is going to be out all of next season from his surgery, he is absolutely done and we need to hope he retires.

Gorgui is a Power-Forward that is stuck at Centre. I take garbage for that statement, but he is much better when playing that position due to his height and quickness. In any case, the two positions ate completely interchangeable with the correct players.

I also disagree with the rotation you have as I believe that Zach LaVine should be the sixth man next season.

Ricky Rubio/Zach LaVine
Andrew Wiggins/Zach LaVine
Shabazz Muhammad/Andrew Wiggins
Gorgui Dieng/Shabazz Muhammad/Karl Anthony-Towns
Karl Anthony-Towns/Gorgui Dieng

With Adreian Payne sprinkled at Power Foward here and there is my dream rotation. We would need to fill the cracks slightly, but that is an awesome start.

I want Shabazz to start as well, but the way he plays he would destroy his body way too fast. He's better off the bench. I also want to make the case for LaVine to start. He has so many positives when playing on the 2 guard spot that its hard to believe. Also, running this many young guys without vets is bad. I think the one guy we should look to sign for next year is Andre Miller. I also think that we should package up Martin and whatever other positive asset (earliest 2nd) we have for Gibson.

Ricky Rubio (33)/Andre Miller (15)
Zach LaVine (32)/ Andrew Wiggins (11) / Miller (5)
Andrew Wiggins (24) / Shabazz Muhammed (24)
Taj Gibson (15) / Gorgui Dieng (28) / Payne (5)
Karl Anthony-Towns (28) / Taj Gibson (20)

Reserves: Adrien Payne, Lorenzo Brown, Robbie Hummel, Nikola Pekovic (injured)

Excised: Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, Anthony Bennett
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,221

Re: Warriors about to break some kind of NBA record. Minnesota vs GS Game thread. 

Post#42 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:06 am

Way too early to say Pekovic needs to be thinking about retirement. It's probably not THAT bad but yes it has potential to be terrible. Let's hope for the best, this is his first surgery on the issue after all, it may help a great deal.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#43 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 am

LOL at the Ws announcer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO3f9PfQ91I[/youtube]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#44 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:57 am

So yeah. If you want to still draft Russell, it better be to replace Rubio. LaVine just needs a bit more time but this is a guy worth having patience with.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:26 am

Takingbaconback wrote:So yeah. If you want to still draft Russell, it better be to replace Rubio. LaVine just needs a bit more time but this is a guy worth having patience with.

The problem is that every position has a young guy who deserves our patience.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,714

Post#46 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:10 am

Domejandro wrote:Pekovic is going to be out all of next season from his surgery, he is absolutely done and we need to hope he retires.

I just want to understand the motivation behind writing this crap. How about you go make stuff up elsewhere?
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#47 » by packforfreedom » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:37 am

with LaVine and Wiggins we have two players, that have the potential to be basically unguardable. Zach is clearly one of the best offensive prospects in the league, while Wigs already draws double teams as a Rookie. In addition to that, there playing style fits well with each other. I think Zach needs to start next season, a trio of Rubio-LaVine-Wiggins will be so freakin exiting.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#48 » by southern wolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:33 pm

THE LAVINE MACHINE!
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#49 » by C.lupus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Missed the game and just looked at the box score. LaVine :o
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#50 » by C.lupus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:50 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:So yeah. If you want to still draft Russell, it better be to replace Rubio. LaVine just needs a bit more time but this is a guy worth having patience with.

There's 32 minutes a piece for Rubio, Russell, and LaVine available at the 1 and 2.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#51 » by Note30 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Klomp wrote:

The problem is that every position has a young guy who deserves our patience.

Really? PG. Noone. SG: LaVine SF:Wiggins(2nd best player on our team so no.) PF:??? No one here is worth having patience for. C: Gorgui.... but thats really stretching it since its the end of his 2nd year patience part is done
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:19 pm

So you've given up on Rubio?

Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:26 pm

I haven't given up on Rubio but people who say wolves should take Russell to play ahead of LaVine (Rubio/Russell/Wiggins) have another thing coming. This is why I think wolves should take a big, even if he isn't "BPA" in their eyes. This isn't the NFL, you can't take BPA when you can only have 5 guys in set positions play the majority of the minutes.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,509

Post#54 » by Worm Guts » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:35 pm

You can take BPA more in the NBA than in the NFL because the positions are more interchangeable. I don't see any issue with playing Lavine, Russell and Rubio. There's easily enough minutes.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Worm Guts wrote:You can take BPA more in the NBA than in the NFL because the positions are more interchangeable. I don't see any issue with playing Lavine, Russell and Rubio. There's easily enough minutes.

... No BPA is much more common in NFL than NBA. That's not even an argument. How are positions interchangeable in NBA? In NFL you have so many positions, you have to take BPA cuz you always have so many needs anyways. Also NBA only has 2 rounds (1st is the one that really matters) compared to NFL's 7 rounders + compensatory picks (all of them matter, stars are found in late rounds and undrafted every year) so you have to fill your true one or two needs in the NBA while you can.

What are you doing with Kmart then? Not enough minutes for LaVine to develop, Rubio won't want to share minutes. LaVine is a guy you have to have patience with and give as many minutes as possible to. Reminds me of Kahn when he took 3 PGs in the draft. I swear minny gives patience to the worst type of players and have the short leash on their potential stars.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#56 » by Worm Guts » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Guys play multiple positions in the NBA, they don't in the NFL or at least it's far less common. Russell can play PG or SG, Towns might be able to play PF. You're not going to draft a QB to play RB. In the NFL, different positions do different things. In the NBA everybody is doing the same things just with a different emphasis.
Also 1 player makes a bigger difference in the NBA, so it's more important to find the elite players. I would say it's not debatable that BPA is more important in the NBA.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#57 » by Worm Guts » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:33 pm

And you trade KMart if you draft Russell.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#58 » by FargoWolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:29 pm

You draft Russell because if he is the next Curry or Roy you don't look ridiculous for taking a defensive role playing big over him. Martin's role on the Wolves shouldn't matter at all for the draft, he is 32 years old and not really a part of the team's future.

Rubio, Russell and LaVine can all coexist for a while. I could argue Russell is the most talented player in the draft, you don't pass that up for a bigger need.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#59 » by Feilong » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Draft Russell and trade Martin? Wow what a plan.
We already have a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players, so lets trade valuable veterans just to make space for more rookies.
Are you making a team to complete in NBA or in college?
Wasn't this year with so many rookies playing so many minutes evident that you need veterans to be competitive?
And why is Russell so special?
Great PG? Not exactly.
Great SG? Too small and weak to be SG in NBA.
Too awesome? When they needed him he went 3-19 FG in his last game?
Talented yes, talented enough that he is a must have player? Not even close.
So maybe draft him because we desperately need a SG? Well we have Martin. And even if you don't like Martin we have Lavine who is a SG.
We don't have a starting PF, we don't have a starting Center unless Pek miraculously becomes iron man and all i read is Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell.
SMH
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#60 » by FargoWolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Feilong wrote:Draft Russell and trade Martin? Wow what a plan.
We already have a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players, so lets trade valuable veterans just to make space for more rookies.
Are you making a team to complete in NBA or in college?
Wasn't this year with so many rookies playing so many minutes evident that you need veterans to be competitive?
And why is Russell so special?
Great PG? Not exactly.
Great SG? Too small and weak to be SG in NBA.
Too awesome? When they needed him he went 3-19 FG in his last game?
Talented yes, talented enough that he is a must have player? Not even close.
So maybe draft him because we desperately need a SG? Well we have Martin. And even if you don't like Martin we have Lavine who is a SG.
We don't have a starting PF, we don't have a starting Center unless Pek miraculously becomes iron man and all i read is Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell.
SMH

I am making a team that will compete for an NBA title in 3 or 4 years, that is my goal ever since Wiggins was traded here. Martin isn't a part of that plan, a guard with Russell's skill set absolutely could be. The team still needs a PF and Center, I completely agree but no way do I pass on elite talent to reach for them.

I don't really care how he did in his last game. Ohio State was a one man team playing one of the best defensive teams in college basketball, a team that wasn't going to let one player beat them. He was fantastic in his first tournament game and was also the best shooting guard in college basketball over the course of the season as a freshman. I love his handle, his passing ability, his shot....He is creative and his elite court vision. Yeah, if I am picking 3rd in the draft with the two elite bigs off the board, I want that. I don't really care about Martin or anything else at that point. Figure that all out after you take him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves