ImageImageImage

Flip Returning As Head Coach?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

sheefo13
Junior
And1: 79

Flip Returning As Head Coach? 

Post#1 » by sheefo13 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Not sure if this was discussed elsewhere but just got an update from ESPN saying Flip will remain as head coach until they need to move in a different direction.

Thoughts?

I think it is bogus. It would be beneficial to the young core to learn whatever system will be the system of norm for them. I feel like this is Glen and Flip being cheap.
www.timberrebuilder.com
Like on Facebook, twitter, & Instagram @timberrebuilder
Rebuilding Wolves Fandom since 2004.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,813

Re: Flip Returning As Head Coach? 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:59 pm

That's been his stance from the very beginning, hasn't it? If the coach we want isn't out there, why try to fake it and hire some other guy who wasn't as high on your list?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
sheefo13
Junior
And1: 79

Post#3 » by sheefo13 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:16 pm

Klomp wrote:That's been his stance from the very beginning, hasn't it? If the coach we want isn't out there, why try to fake it and hire some other guy who wasn't as high on your list?

The impression I was under was that the coach they wanted wasn't available at the time. I also was under the impression that they would reevaluate this summer. Especially with the Kevin Love situation being figured out and our core becoming more clear.
www.timberrebuilder.com
Like on Facebook, twitter, & Instagram @timberrebuilder
Rebuilding Wolves Fandom since 2004.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#4 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:31 pm

His quote was kind of vague, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to leave on a high note instead of letting somebody else get all the credit for an improved season with a high draft pick and healthier roster.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,230

Post#5 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:18 am

Could be waiting to see where they land in the draft and who they are selecting first. He has that luxury since he's responsible for putting together the roster.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#6 » by Basti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:31 am

Klomp wrote:That's been his stance from the very beginning, hasn't it? If the coach we want isn't out there, why try to fake it and hire some other guy who wasn't as high on your list?

This. It'll be difficult to go through another season watching Flip's outdated offensive schemes and lack of defensive emphasis but it makes sense at least to not throw away money for someone who isn't their top choice.

Any word on Malone these days, by the way?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#7 » by shangrila » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:57 am

:nonono:
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,453

Post#8 » by Foye » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:17 am

Basti wrote:

This. It'll be difficult to go through another season watching Flip's outdated offensive schemes and lack of defensive emphasis but it makes sense at least to not throw away money for someone who isn't their top choice.

Any word on Malone these days, by the way?

Meh...you gotta find a system that you run for multiple years in a row to have success. Flip is clearly not a long-term coach here so they better get someone in sooner than later. If there's another year of Flip and a coaching change prior to 16/17 we might find ourselves in deep mediocrity until 17/18 at least. :nonono:
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Flip Returning As Head Coach? 

Post#9 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:29 am

Foye wrote:Flip is clearly not a long-term coach here so they better get someone in sooner than later.

Exactly,

also, the excuse that Flip is coaching because this way is going to allow a easier transition for the next coach is a...Horrible excuse.

Flip is coaching because he wants (nothing wrong with that)
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#10 » by Feilong » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 am

mercgold3 wrote:

I don't agree with "nothing wrong with that".
Numerous people want to coach. A small potion of them actually coaches. If a coach is successful he continues coaching. If he is not, like finishing dead last, then he must be evaluated.
Who will evaluate Flip if he is doing a good job or if he is the best coach available? The GM? Who is GM? Flip.
So Flip the coach will be evaluated by Flip the GM who then will decide with Flip the part owner about (Flip the coach)'s future.
If Flip the coach wants to continue coaching (which he does), who can tell me what might be the result of this evaluation?
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: Re: Re: Flip Returning As Head Coach? 

Post#11 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:04 am

Feilong wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

I don't agree with "nothing wrong with that".
Numerous people want to coach. A small potion of them actually coaches. If a coach is successful he continues coaching. If he is not, like finishing dead last, then he must be evaluated.
Who will evaluate Flip if he is doing a good job or if he is the best coach available? The GM? Who is GM? Flip.
So Flip the coach will be evaluated by Flip the GM who then will decide with Flip the part owner about (Flip the coach)'s future.
If Flip the coach wants to continue coaching (which he does), who can tell me what might be the result of this evaluation?

I agreed with you.

My point was:

There is nothing wrong to give that reason to coach instead of the reason "Flip is coaching because this way is going to allow a easier transition for the next coach" that a lot people over here gives.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Feilong wrote:Who will evaluate Flip if he is doing a good job or if he is the best coach available? The GM? Who is GM? Flip.

Actually Milt Newton is the GM.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#13 » by Sugarless » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:12 pm

I don't care how high a certain coach was or not on their list last summer, if they have a chance to get a better coach than Flip, and one that makes more sense for this young team and today's NBA, they have to hire him. And believe me, there's a number of coaches out there who are better than Flip.

There's simply no point in keeping the guys playing in a system that doesn't fit their strenghts or even today's game, with a coach that's certainly no part of the future staff, while at the same time he's the POBO and cannot focus on that job.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#14 » by PZiv » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:22 pm

He better draft well this year or else.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Sugarless wrote:I don't care how high a certain coach was or not on their list last summer, if they have a chance to get a better coach than Flip, and one that makes more sense for this young team and today's NBA, they have to hire him.

That's short-sighted thinking. You're just looking for anyone better than what we have. I'd rather wait for the perfect candidate. That's how Flip sees this process too, not only in regards to the coach, but the roster building in general:

"I don't want to get to the playoffs, I want to build a team that can win in the playoffs. That's what we're trying to do. If you're going to try to do quick fixes just to get there you might get there, but you might be right back out of it."

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#16 » by C.lupus » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:29 pm

PZiv wrote:He better draft well this year or else.

Or else what? He fires himself?
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#17 » by Mattya » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Sugarless wrote:I don't care how high a certain coach was or not on their list last summer, if they have a chance to get a better coach than Flip, and one that makes more sense for this young team and today's NBA, they have to hire him. And believe me, there's a number of coaches out there who are better than Flip.

There's simply no point in keeping the guys playing in a system that doesn't fit their strenghts or even today's game, with a coach that's certainly no part of the future staff, while at the same time he's the POBO and cannot focus on that job.

Isn't this the point why Flip is still the coach? I don't see many great fits that are willing to come here right now. I don't want to lock ourselves into a coach that isn't a great fit for the direction of the team. Also in most cases the big name coaches and coaching prospects don't want to go to a team that is where we were at last year, because it usually just leads to them getting fired. I'm guessing if Freddy, Izzo, or Joerger wanted to coach here, then they would already be the coach. Maybe this year a coach will view the team differently, but we are still probably a year away from really competing for a playoff spot.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#18 » by PZiv » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:50 pm

C.lupus wrote:
PZiv wrote:He better draft well this year or else.

Or else what? He fires himself?

we start ridiculing him like Kahn.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#19 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:02 pm

The real question is, what are the characteristics that Flip is looking for in a coach ?

Also...

Saying that nobody is/was intrested in come to Minnesota is another excuse that i don't believe.

Malone took the Kings when they were bad.

Brad Stevens took the Celtics when they were bad.

Jeff Hornacek took the Suns when they were projected to be real bad.

Terry Scotts took Portland when they were bad.

And the list goes on and on.
Finding good coachs is not easy but is not a mission impossible either.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:04 pm

mercgold3 wrote:The real question is, what are the characteristics that Flip is looking for in a coach ?

Also...

Saying that nobody is/was intrested in come to Minnesota is another excuse that i don't believe.

Malone took the Kings when they were bad.

Brad Stevens took the Celtics when they were bad.

Jeff Hornacek took the Suns when they were projected to be real bad.

Terry Scotts took Portland when they were bad.

And the list goes on and on.
Finding good coachs is not easy but is not a mission impossible either.

Half of those coaches haven't brought their teams to the playoffs yet. And once again, it's not just about getting to the playoffs.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves