ImageImageImage

Steph curry- over it or still hurt?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

daboywonder2007
Junior
And1: 90

Post#1 » by daboywonder2007 » Tue May 5, 2015 9:17 pm

mvp now. Darren wolfson gave me the reason on twitter saying kahn was a new gm and was scared because curry didnt come in for a workout. but rubio at 5, flynn at 6. Now look at it. you got the mvp of the league on a bargain contract. Does anyone else have insider information for why they took flynn over curry?
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Re: Steph curry- over it or still hurt? 

Post#2 » by Vindicater » Tue May 5, 2015 9:26 pm

Derp derp derp
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#3 » by Saltine » Tue May 5, 2015 9:58 pm

Curry wouldn't work out and had questionable ankles. He wasn't considered to be a sure thing by any means. This is all 20/20 hindsight bull.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#4 » by ace625214 » Tue May 5, 2015 10:15 pm

He was a big risk at the time. High upside but a really low floor. JJ Redick hadn't really had his career renaissance yet and was seen as not very useful. Steph was viewed as a smaller Redick. He ended up developing as well as he possibly could have. GSW made a gamble and it paid off.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,577

Post#5 » by Klomp » Tue May 5, 2015 10:22 pm

ace625214 wrote:He was a big risk at the time. High upside but a really low floor. JJ Redick hadn't really had his career renaissance yet and was seen as not very useful. Steph was viewed as a smaller Redick. He ended up developing as well as he possibly could have. GSW made a gamble and it paid off.

And I'm not sure many people saw him as a PG...I know I didn't.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#6 » by ace625214 » Tue May 5, 2015 11:06 pm

Klomp wrote:
ace625214 wrote:He was a big risk at the time. High upside but a really low floor. JJ Redick hadn't really had his career renaissance yet and was seen as not very useful. Steph was viewed as a smaller Redick. He ended up developing as well as he possibly could have. GSW made a gamble and it paid off.

And I'm not sure many people saw him as a PG...I know I didn't.

Neither did I. I guess a better recent example would be if Jimmer Fredette became the MVP. They were very similar in college. Short guys that were quick and had unlimited range. Both led their teams on improbable runs in the tournament and gained notoriety. Curry could have easily faded away just as Jimmer has, but instead he exploded into an MVP winner. It still baffles me a little bit that he got this good.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#7 » by Mattya » Tue May 5, 2015 11:21 pm

Wanted Curry or Derozan after Ricky. Kind of understand not wanting to draft him because he dodged workouts, but when he turns out the way he did, it sucks. Not hurt, we finally have a bright future. Not sure where we would be if we took Curry. Does he refuse to play? Does he develop the same way not being in a place he likes?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,471

Post#8 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 5, 2015 11:24 pm

I don't think he worked out for Golden St either, he was trying to get to the Knicks.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#9 » by C.lupus » Tue May 5, 2015 11:32 pm

I think there was some concern about his defense, blah, blah, blah but the real reason was David Kahn had no clue and had no staff on board before the draft.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#10 » by Twolf16 » Tue May 5, 2015 11:36 pm

I wanted Curry and Derozan. Can I complain that we didn't take him and he became MVP? No. But I can complain that we took two point guards with the 5th and 6th pick-- absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
aàaSzccevtdvpp
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#11 » by breatnach » Wed May 6, 2015 2:18 am

Long, long over it. In fact I was never even under it. Why should I feel bad any time someone we passed on plays well?

We could be winning championships if we had drafted

Curry (2009)
DeRozan (2009)
Kawhi (2011)
Ibaka (2008)
Cousins (2010)

Long story short: hindsight is 20/20 and we suck at drafting.
I am no more upset about 2009 draft than any of the following years. Instead I am looking forward to the young core we have and another chance at improving that core with Towns or Okafor.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#12 » by King Malta » Wed May 6, 2015 2:42 am

breatnach wrote:Long, long over it. In fact I was never even under it. Why should I feel bad any time someone we passed on plays well?

We could be winning championships if we had drafted

Curry (2009)
DeRozan (2009)
Kawhi (2011)
Ibaka (2008)
Cousins (2010)

Long story short: hindsight is 20/20 and we suck at drafting.
I am no more upset about 2009 draft than any of the following years. Instead I am looking forward to the young core we have and another chance at improving that core with Towns or Okafor.

This.

Teams mess up drafts every single year and miss out on better players through stupid picks. No point sweating on our mistakes now, let's focus on what we've got after THIS draft.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,131

Post#13 » by Calinks » Wed May 6, 2015 3:35 am

I was never hurt by it. IT sucks but I never felt like he was a cant miss player in the draft. I didn;t see him at PG and I thought he would be too small to what he does at the NBA level. I was very wrong but its not something that keeps me up at night. Not something as painful as Ray Allen for Marbury or Foye for Roy during the years Roy was ballin. Those times it felt like we had gold and threw it away.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#14 » by mondry » Wed May 6, 2015 4:16 am

Why did we take two point guards that draft anyway? I feel like AQuintus would have murdered our GM if that happened now! :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,577

Post#15 » by Klomp » Wed May 6, 2015 4:39 am

mondry wrote:Why did we take two point guards that draft anyway? I feel like AQuintus would have murdered our GM if that happened now! :lol:

Ricky wasn't coming over right away
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#16 » by MinneOOPalis » Wed May 6, 2015 5:26 am

We got Wiggins now. Our past is irrelevant ;)
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#17 » by shangrila » Wed May 6, 2015 8:46 am

"Still hurt" implies any of us were hurt to begin with.

I wasn't. He turned out great and that's awesome, but I don't sit around moping about it or else I'd also be pissed we didn't take Thompson, George, Leonard, Noah, Gobert, etc.
sheefo13
Junior
And1: 79

Post#18 » by sheefo13 » Wed May 6, 2015 2:35 pm

Well, there was a wiretap about how the Grizzlies wanted him at 2 but he wouldn't workout for them so they went with Hasheem Thabeet. I thought it was a stretch him going number 2 though. I know he was in consideration at 6. I am not so much hurt about not getting Curry as I am that we went with two point guards and one of them we left with was Flynn. With all the other great players that came out of that draft at the guard position.
www.timberrebuilder.com
Like on Facebook, twitter, & Instagram @timberrebuilder
Rebuilding Wolves Fandom since 2004.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#19 » by mondry » Wed May 6, 2015 6:18 pm

shangrila wrote:"Still hurt" implies any of us were hurt to begin with.

I wasn't. He turned out great and that's awesome, but I don't sit around moping about it or else I'd also be pissed we didn't take Thompson, George, Leonard, Noah, Gobert, etc.

haha no kidding, I mean, if you're gonna be hurt every time the timberwolves missed a pick you're probably in a mental ward by now!
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#20 » by urinesane » Wed May 6, 2015 7:09 pm

daboywonder2007 wrote:mvp now. Darren wolfson gave me the reason on twitter saying kahn was a new gm and was scared because curry didnt come in for a workout. but rubio at 5, flynn at 6. Now look at it. you got the mvp of the league on a bargain contract. Does anyone else have insider information for why they took flynn over curry?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves